• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixian

I can definitely see how adoptable storage would cause headaches. It'd be nice to have as an option, but I certainly can't fault them for it not being enabled by default.

Wreav

Banned
The trick about adoptable storage is you're operating under the assumption that 1) your SD card will never have an issue and 2) it will live inside your phone 100% of the time.

Samsung has always catered to 1) the ultra techie crowd that likes swapping SD and batteries for reasons that are beyond me and 2) people that don't understand phone tech all that much and buy Samsung because of marketing. For those two particular users bases, adoptable storage is probably the wrong way to go.

SD is still fucking stupid in 2016.

Swig_

So for the folks that have the S6 Edge, do the Edge functions still work if you're using a non-touchwiz launcher?

Bumping this. This is a good question and may be a deciding factor for me between the S7 and S7 Edge.

I haaaaaate Touch Wiz. If other launchers can't use the edge, there's not really a point in getting it.

Ixian

So for the folks that have the S6 Edge, do the Edge functions still work if you're using a non-touchwiz launcher?

Bumping this. This is a good question and may be a deciding factor for me between the S7 and S7 Edge.

I haaaaaate Touch Wiz. If other launchers can't use the edge, there's not really a point in getting it.
I was curious about this too, just did a Google search and found this Reddit thread.

Key takeaway:

So far my battery life has been pretty good with it. And I just checked. Nova launched doesn't disable the edge features.

theRizzle

The trick about adoptable storage is you're operating under the assumption that 1) your SD card will never have an issue and 2) it will live inside your phone 100% of the time.

For me these are non-issues. Saying I'm operating under the assumption that my SD card will never have an issue is like saying I'm operating under the assumption that the onboard storage or phone itself will never have an issue. Of course that's the expectation. If there is an issue with anything, I'll deal with it when it arises. That's no excuse to not have it in there.

For the second point, who are these monsters that are actually taking the SD card out of their phone? It is way more difficult and time consuming to take the SD card out of the phone than it is to use a USB cable.

Futureman

SD card people SETTLE DOWN. This is THE most mainstream Android phone on the market. I think Samsung is right to be safe rather than sorry due the large customer base of tech and non-techie people that will be using this phone.

For me these are non-issues. Saying I'm operating under the assumption that my SD card will never have an issue is like saying I'm operating under the assumption that the onboard storage or phone itself will never have an issue. Of course that's the expectation. If there is an issue with anything, I'll deal with it when it arises. That's no excuse to not have it in there.

For the second point, who are these monsters that are actually taking the SD card out of their phone? It is way more difficult and time consuming to take the SD card out of the phone than it is to use a USB cable.

SD cards fail. It's another issue to deal with l, both for consumers and customer service. It's definitely less of a headache to include one and absolutely a valid "excuse". Samsung also likely has concrete data that shows a very small minority of users actually use one.

On top of that, they're less secure and slower than internal storage. There's a reason Apple and even Google for a time didn't officially support them.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I went with this memory card. Seemed the best price to performance ratio.

PNY U3 Turbo Performance 64GB High Speed MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-I, up to 90MB/sec Flash Card (P-SDUX64U390G-GE) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W77C1QU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Good value at 25 bucks, but the write speed still maxes out about 50.

Is the back of that case slick or matte? There is a $3 Ringke case on slick deals for $3. I got that as a reserve one.
Its a clear and shiny/slick. Well... it used to be about a year ago. Mine has seen some use.

They turned their heads because you were taking pictures of them under water, weirdo.
lmao. More like reactions of "are you sure you can do that with your phone?"

Why yes... yes i can.

theRizzle

Samsung also likely has concrete data that shows a very small minority of users actually use one.

There is no way to ask this without it reading snarky over the internet, but do you really think Samsung has more or better data than Google about Android usage? If it was for a very small minority of users, why would Google add it as a new feature for an OS revision? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Kaladin

I just don't see the value in the Edge gimmick personally. The S7 Edge has a larger battery than the S7, but it's not worth the price difference.

Sanjuro

I just don't see the value in the Edge gimmick personally. The S7 Edge has a larger battery than the S7, but it's not worth the price difference.

It has larger batter and screen size and it's only a few bucks more.

I'm not excited about it the most, it just is the no brainer for most who are upgrading.

Sanjuro

When I looked at T-MO it was about $5 more per month if I remember right. That's $120 more.

Depends what you are coming from. As an S5 user, I don't see why not. S6 person I'd probably think about getting the same thing just to ratify problems.

Klotera

Edge features are nothing special. I love the edge purely for the aesthetic factor. It's a slick looking device. On the S6 where there were no other differentiators, that was still enough to get me to bite for the edge. With the larger screen and extra battery, it's a no-brainer for me on the S7.

Impulsor

Does the edges of the edge model's screen get scratched easily? Because I'm used to get screen protectors or cases for my phones and it would seem the edges could get scratched easily... It may really just be me being paranoid, but whatever.

Klotera

Does the edges of the edge model's screen get scratched easily? Because I'm used to get screen protectors or cases for my phones and it would seem the edges could get scratched easily... It may really just be me being paranoid, but whatever.

It's gorilla glass, so you'd have to abuse it pretty badly to get any noticeable scratches. I take care of my stuff, but I'm not exceptionally anal about it and I have no scratches on mine.

manfestival

I have not purchased a case in years for a phone as I tend to love the design of a phone for what it is and use it just how it was designed. Is there actually a case that protects the phone great and is not bulky? I am actually considering keeping this phone for a very long time so I want to protect it as much as possible

I can definitely see how adoptable storage would cause headaches. It'd be nice to have as an option, but I certainly can't fault them for it not being enabled by default.

but its supposed to be an option.

how it's supposed to work is when you insert the foreign SD card, you get asked you want to format and bond the sd card bla bla to the device and have to yes/no it.

This may be an stupid question but can you turn off the edges (S7 Edge) when watching images and videos. I rather see my pics and videos flat.

No one seems to understand that adopting your SD card as internal storage makes it unremovable from the phone unless you want to really fuck your phone up and unreadable by anything else like your PC if you do remove it. Plus you know if that SD card dies, everything on your phone is lost. Adoptable storage is the phone equivalent of JBOD hard drives and NOBODY ON EARTH recommends you ever JBOD and no one knows why it's even an option in the first place on a lot of RAID controllers.

Samsung is making the right decision by telling Google to take their adoptable storage and shove it.

Samsung however immediately followed this right decision with a wrong one by not making the 64 GB versions of the phones available in the US. Goddammit Samsung, please don't fuck this up with the Note 6.

Going all in guys, I just bought a 200 GB SD card (SD card is important to me) and a Spigen thin case. Ive used the thin spigen cases on my S5 and after many drops it's still going. Quick question for those with an S6 Edge or Edge+, has anyone of you bought a tempered glass screen protector for it?? I've had one on my S5 since I bought it and I love it but I'm not sure how well a curved one would be or if there is a recommended brand I should be looking at. I'm afraid the edges on the tempered glass would crack easily or not stick to the phone very well.

longdi

Banned
Samsung should get rid of their logo like the China version.
BSriS36l.jpg

'Samsung' is too a long rectangle as a logo

Wreav

Banned
No one seems to understand that adopting your SD card as internal storage makes it unremovable from the phone unless you want to really fuck your phone up and unreadable by anything else like your PC if you do remove it.

We literally had that conversation in this thread yesterday. Plenty of people know that.

Klotera

I have not purchased a case in years for a phone as I tend to love the design of a phone for what it is and use it just how it was designed. Is there actually a case that protects the phone great and is not bulky? I am actually considering keeping this phone for a very long time so I want to protect it as much as possible

Spigen cases are my go-to these days. They make the most attractive cases that still give a reasonable level of protection. Relatively cheap on Amazon, too. My last couple phones o have used their Neo Hybrid case.

JayB1920

Spigen cases are my go-to these days. They make the most attractive cases that still give a reasonable level of protection. Relatively cheap on Amazon, too. My last couple phones o have used their Neo Hybrid case.

I have been going with Spigen cases and screen protectors as well. The Neo Hybrid is a fantastic case. Slim, protective, and looks pretty good. The button response and cutouts are better than most other cases I've tried.
This is the Neo hybrid for the S7. Generally can be found much cheaper on amazon.

http://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-s7/products/galaxy-s7-case-neo-hybrid?variant=12163291585

Wreav

Banned
I buy nothing but Elago Slimfit cases. Spigens are usually finished roughly at the seams (where pinky tends to rest at bottom of the phone) and I've yet to find another case with the same great matte feel as the Elagos.

They don't seem to have an S7 slimfit yet, tweeted at them yesterday to see what the deal is.

Sanjuro

I have been going with Spigen cases and screen protectors as well. The Neo Hybrid is a fantastic case. Slim, protective, and looks pretty good. The button response and cutouts are better than most other cases I've tried.
This is the Neo hybrid for the S7. Generally can be found much cheaper on amazon.

http://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-s7/products/galaxy-s7-case-neo-hybrid?variant=12163291585

Neo was trash for the S5 because they used plastic buttons. If the tpu pushes out, should be fine.

Impulsor

Well, they are selling this thing openly in stores in Spain right now, so after work I just went to the mall and got me an S7 Edge, black onyx and one of the opfficial samsung clear cases, pretty neat.

Wreav

Banned
I posted this in the Android OT, but got to play with the Edge at Best Buy and the camera is just shit house bonkers. I held my 6s+ and the S7E side by side and took a variety of pics, and it's not even remotely close. Samsung straight murdered the camera field this year.

Still not crazy about how the edge glares in harsh light, nor how sharp the edges are when holding, but a good case will fix that last issue.

Samsung has always catered to 1) the ultra techie crowd that likes swapping SD and batteries for reasons that are beyond me and 2) people that don't understand phone tech all that much and buy Samsung because of marketing. For those two particular users bases, adoptable storage is probably the wrong way to go.

SD is still fucking stupid in 2016.

You're assuming Google aren't smart enough to build fail safes into the os if the sd card goes down. The problem of lost data in the event of a faulty sd would be same in both scenarios.

If the sd fails in an adoptive storage scenario I would expect the phone to still operate and only the apps and data on the sd to be no longer available.

TedNindo

Can you install software/apps to the SD card? Not sure if 32gb is enough since I have a lot of gear VR games on my s6 edge plus 64gb

You can`t. There was some uncertainty when I asked around. But I`m told to say it isn`t supported for now.

TedNindo

It isn't weird at all, you go to application manager and change the storage of the selected app. It IS true that some apps do not allow this, but the inmese majority does.

Oh of course. But I thought that was common knowledge. It`s just that you can`t use the SD card to expand internal storage as was expected by some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom