• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR-Powered Roller Coasters Headed to Six Flags

Status
Not open for further replies.
496577-vr-roller-coasters.jpg

Exciting news for thrill-seeking techies: Virtual roller coasters are headed to Six Flags.

The world's largest regional theme park company has partnered with Samsung — its new "official technology partner" — to debut what they say will be North America's first virtual reality roller coasters.

Park-goers at nine Six Flags locations will be able to strap on Samsung's Gear VR headset while riding a traditional roller coaster and "feel the heart-pumping adrenaline of steep drops, inverted loops and powerful twists and turns as gyros, accelerometers and proximity sensors synchronize all of the action in an incredibly realistic 360-degree virtual reality world," the companies announced Thursday.

Six Flags and Samsung plan to launch the new VR roller coasters this month and into the summer.

On tap are six New Revolution VR coasters, which will transport riders "to a futuristic battle to save planet Earth from an alien invasion," the companies said. "Riders are the co-pilots in their own fighter jets as they strap in for air-to-air combat."

Source
More at the link.

This will be interesting to try out. I'm wondering how they're going to efficiently strap on the VR headsets and keep them clean while moving the ride lines at a steady rate. I guess this is their answer to the more advanced technology rides Universal and Disney Parks have. Guess I can see why they're redoing the theme on the Bizzaro at SFNE back to Superman.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That sounds crazy. What do you gain if it is a real roller coaster? Arg stuff?

People gonna yuke.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That sounds crazy. What do you gain if it is a real roller coaster? Arg stuff?

People gonna yuke.

Coaster is now set in jungle, space, prehistoric times, volcano, grand canyon. VR could take rides like this to tons of places. And not just coasters but those still experiences where the ride only vibrates or moves a few feet in each direction. I imagine those will be in lots of malls in the near future.

border

I know that whenever I get on a roller coaster, I find myself wishing for a narrow field of view and massive pixelation.

Maddog

Canada's Wonderland was testing a similar concept last year. I tried it and was pretty impressed by it. The feeling of actually moving adds a lot to the experience.

I know that whenever I get on a roller coaster, I find myself wishing for a narrow field of view and massive pixelation.

It might help some people with dealing of the fear of getting on them. My wife for example hates that first slow hill climb but loves the rest of the roller coaster. I assume something like this would help put her fears way if it can keep her distracted long enough before the first drop.

Something like this would be cool on Universal Studio's Rip Ride Rockit which already allows you to select songs you want to hear as your ride the roller coaster. Now imagine that but with them also allowing you to chose scenery to accompany it.

Does anyone really want to use a rental vr helmet that people have been wearing in 90+ degree heat? Those things are going to be absurdly nasty within days of being poorly maintained by lazy teenage park employees.

Would work way better if they made it a product to sell to those who can't make it to Six Flags for some reason. Or for those that can't ride the rides, for health reasons.

The Cedar Point ValRaven VR ride is unbelievable ( I feel), and that doesn't even seem like a ton of work was put in to it.

How do you clean a Gear VR if someone pukes on it? I imagine you can't just wash it, but I doubt Six Flags would be into just tossing it.

Also pinkeye!

Mook1e

Canada's Wonderland was testing a similar concept last year. I tried it and was pretty impressed by it. The feeling of actually moving adds a lot to the experience.
They did the same at Europa park here in Germany. I didn't get to try it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom