• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Release Steam Link TV App to the Public

Hasney

After the betas, it's out now! Not much info yet, they did say final version would work with 4k streaming, but here's what Valve poste:

Samsung has released a free Steam Link app for their 2016 and 2017 Smart TVs!
You can find it by searching for Steam in the Smart Hub app store.

Please make sure that your TV firmware is updated to the latest version for the best experience.

Supported Controllers:
Steam Controller
Xbox 360 wired and wireless
Xbox One wired
Logitech F510/F710

You can provide feedback to Samsung on the Steam Link discussion group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1443820649963834564

I love my Steam Link, but if they put this on my Android TV built into the TV I have, then it would be baller

conpfreak

I've used the app on my KS8000 before the 4K update and it worked as good as the Steam Link hardware. But this is something I'd rather be handled externally as who knows how well this will be supported after a year or so of it being out. Also, my TV could be on the chopping block for support after next year, which would be ridiculous.

Hasney

Just found this in their RC build notes

Added support for 4K streaming on 2017 TVs

Looks like the 4k part isn't on 2016 models.

Hopefully it's better than the beta. The TV won't recognize my Xbox One or 360 controller and the app crashes constantly or freezes and makes me do a power cycle on the TV. Steam on the PC picked it up though and it did actually work for a bit if I used kbm. Being hardwired definitely helps. I wouldnt try this wirelessly.

Hasney

Hopefully it's better than the beta. The TV won't recognize my Xbox One or 360 controller and the app crashes constantly or freezes and makes me do a power cycle on the TV. Steam on the PC picked it up though and it did actually work for a bit if I used kbm. Being hardwired definitely helps. I wouldnt try this wirelessly.

The beta at one point only supported Steam controllers.

Hasney

Does their Steamlink device support 4K?

Nada. The way they constantly go on sale, I'm not sure they were popular enough for an update which is a real shame as I use mine all the time.

Your options for 4K streaming right now are the Samsung TV app, or if you have an NVidia GPU, NVidia Shield.

I don't even think PC to PC streaming works in 4k yet.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I used it after the last update that said 4k was added, but it wouldn't allow me to use 4k yet. Hopefully this fixes it. Their app works way better than my actual Steam Link, surprisingly enough.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I bought my TV in December of 2016. No 4k support on the app for me yet. I got a budget TV so it's not surprising, but man would I like to play games in 4k without dragging an HDMI cable across my apartment.

It's still rad that this exists, though. Actually makes me consider upgrading my TV to one that could support 4k streaming.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I haven't used since the beta, might've to download this to see what has changed.

For reference, the 2016 TVs are the K series (for example KU6300, KS8000, etc), and the 2017 TVs are the M series (like the MU8000) and the Q series (like the Q7F).
The M and Q ones are the ones that support 4K it seems.

Azar

The 4K support being limited to 2017 models is likely a result of the TV processor'a video decoding capability. I have a KS8000 and I'd love it if it could support 4K streaming, but I'm honestly amazed the TV can handle 1080p no problem. It's really damn cool.

I tried out the beta and wrote about it a bit on PC Gamer. I need to get back in there and try all the controller options, but it worked well for me with a 360 controller in beta. Great addition to my TV.

louiedog

The 4K support being limited to 2017 models is likely a result of the TV processor'a video decoding capability. I have a KS8000 and I'd love it if it could support 4K streaming, but I'm honestly amazed the TV can handle 1080p no problem. It's really damn cool.

I tried out the beta and wrote about it a bit on PC Gamer. I need to get back in there and try all the controller options, but it worked well for me with a 360 controller in beta. Great addition to my TV.

You're amazed that a 4k TV with hardware built with the main focus of decoding video streams can handle 1080p video decoding no problem?

Aw man, sucks that mine can't do 4k. I already have a link so I don't get too much out of this. I guess I can free up an hdmi slot if I ever need too.

Hasney

You're amazed that a 4k TV with hardware built with the main focus of decoding video streams can handle 1080p video decoding no problem?

There's a lot more compression that's trying to be as lossless as possible and compressed in a different way using either NVIDIAs codec or whatever happens on AMD happening than a typical feed which needs to be decoded quickly otherwise there's input lag. You do need a fast processor for this.

PC to PC decoding puts a lot of decoding onto the GPU and there isn't much GPU power in these TVs.

louiedog

There's a lot more compression that's trying to be as lossless as possible and compressed in a different way using either NVIDIAs codec or whatever happens on AMD happening than a typical feed which needs to be decoded quickly otherwise there's input lag. You do need a fast processor for this.

PC to PC decoding puts a lot of decoding onto the GPU and there isn't much GPU power in these TVs.

Isn't it just using h.264 which nearly every device capable of outputting video sold in the last 5+ years has hardware decoding support for?

The compression you're talking about going on with the PC has nothing to do with just being able to decode it at the other end as long as it's supported.

morpix

How does it not support Xbox One bluetooth controllers when the TV itself supports bluetooth? Odd.

Yeah, I just discovered this and it's disappointing. Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth controller that will work with a 7000 series and also Steam Link?
Or would I need to scour auction sites for a 360 controller with a dongle (cos they're not around anymore in NZ)?

ss_lemonade

I've used the app on my KS8000 before the 4K update and it worked as good as the Steam Link hardware. But this is something I'd rather be handled externally as who knows how well this will be supported after a year or so of it being out. Also, my TV could be on the chopping block for support after next year, which would be ridiculous.
In my experience, it wasn't as good on my ks9000. With both steam link and this through wifi in the same room, the TV was constantly chugging. Bluetooth signal was much more weaker too. Steam link in comparison is near perfect in terms of streaming latency and bluetooth performance. Not sure how both would have performed wired.

To add to the comparison, my Shield Portable was quite a bit better than both. IQ is much better with Moonlight and it also seems to have less trouble streaming some games that have small issues on Steam Home Streaming (controller issues usually). Just need to downgrade software versions because of Nvidia's odd update of forcing 4k 30hz for console mode on 4k TVs.

morpix

In my experience, it wasn't as good on my ks9000. With both steam link and this through wifi in the same room, the TV was constantly chugging. Bluetooth signal was much more weaker too. Steam link in comparison is near perfect in terms of streaming latency and bluetooth performance. Not sure how both would have performed wired.

To add to the comparison, my Shield Portable was quite a bit better than both. IQ is much better with Moonlight and it also seems to have less trouble streaming some games that have small issues on Steam Home Streaming (controller issues usually). Just need to downgrade software versions because of Nvidia's odd update of forcing 4k 30hz for console mode on 4k TVs.

I did a quick test with everything on wired gigabit and Hellblade was smooth as silk. So I don't think it's TV hardware, rather bandwidth. 1080p/60

Top Bottom