• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung reportedly sends foldable display samples to Apple and Google.

26U42Tth2LjMB6a9GXneAV.png
Samsung will release the Galaxy Fold next month. The foldable display panel for this innovative new device is made by Samsung Display. The company already has a significant position in the mobile OLED display market and it’s now looking to win customers for foldable displays as well.
According to a new report out of South Korea, Samsung Display has sent samples of foldable display to Apple and Google. This doesn’t mean that those companies are planning to release such a device in the near future. What it does show is that Samsung would want them to choose its display if they ever decide to do so.
Foldable display samples reportedly sent to Apple and Google
The foldable display sample that Samsung has sent to Apple reportedly has a 7.2-inch panel which is 0.1-inch smaller than the 7.3-inch panel on the Galaxy Fold. The same is also said to have been delivered to Google. It’s unclear if and when Apple will decide to jump on the foldable bandwagon itself. However, the company does source panels from Samsung for its OLED iPhones. There won’t be anything stopping it to get foldable panels from Samsung Display as well.
Google is trying to become an increasingly competitive player in the hardware market with its Pixel devices. So it may eventually decide to launch a foldable smartphone of its own. Google has also worked with Samsung to optimize the user interface for the Galaxy Fold. It is evidently preparing the Android platform for the eventual proliferation of foldable devices.

While most observers and reviewers seem to think that the Huawei Mate X has a better way of showing off how a foldable phone should work compared to the Galaxy Fold, the Galaxy Fold has been cited as having better picture quality.

This may explain the lack of reaction to Huawei's 6 inch close screen and larger tablet screen size than the 4.3 closed and 7.3 tablet of the Galaxy Fold.

It seems Samsung will take advantage of it's higher quality foldable display and try to conivce other companies to jump on board like with what Samsung does for many OLED screens and Sony did for phone cameras in the past, and even now in some cases.

A smart move. It also shows that Samsung, along with some others, are immediately expecting the foldable phone race to take off quickly and become a big deal sooner than later.

Codes 208

Soon we’ll have phones that flip open to reveal digital buttons on one vertical half and the layout screen on the other half.

We’re going full circle.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Apple need to step up and make a phone that you can fold multiple times and put in your shirt pocket

20cent

Banned
Well, tech companies review tech samples all the time to see what they could implement in their products.
A company like Apple meet patent owners, vendors, inventors, manufacturers and source samples all day.

That doesn't mean anything at all.

If I can answer calls while it's folded like that, I'll be on this train. Love the design.

Okay, I checked the link. That thing is sexy as hell. I haven't been interested in phones for the last 5+ years due to boring designs. I'm all in on this.

Last edited:
I want a little device that weighs 20 grams and projects a vibrant 10 inch holographic screen when I take it out. I am not interested in phones until that happens.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If I can answer calls while it's folded like that, I'll be on this train. Love the design.

Okay, I checked the link. That thing is sexy as hell. I haven't been interested in phones for the last 5+ years due to boring designs. I'm all in on this.

It's amazing that tech is moving this fast. It's awesome!

Top Bottom