• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung S7/Edge has been outselling the iPhone 6S/+ in the US for the past 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/13/12171604/galaxy-s7-iphone-6s-plus-sales-data-stats

The iPhone showed its first decline in sales numbers earlier this year, which has today been reiterated by the latest US mobile market data from Kantar Worldpanel. It finds Apple’s flagship smartphone family lagging behind Samsung’s latest, with 16 percent of American consumers buying a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge and 14.6 percent buying an iPhone 6S or 6S Plus. Now, granted, it’s not a fair fight, owing to Samsung’s S7 and S7 Edge being the newer handsets by half a year, but it’s one that Apple has typically been winning anyway. Not so in 2016.

I'm actually having a hard time finding any data if this has happened before in the US, but I assume its pretty rare, or I'd have easily googled this by now.

With Samsung launching the Note 7 in August, and the general buzz around 2016's flagship iphones being pretty negative from the rumor mills (basically a iphone 6SS with missing headphone jack), you'd hope Samsung capitalizes hard in this 1 year span until the real iphone revamp in Sept 2017.

The article mentions that loyalty for Samsung is really high these days so its clear that Samsung is doing something right with the recent devices:

Apple still commands a higher loyalty rating, with 88 percent of current customers intending to buy another iPhone, but Samsung is almost equal, with 86 percent of its users intending to stay loyal.

Timan

Developer
Its a solid phone, and the amount of promos they're doing with it is a win win for the customer.

Best phone I've ever owned. Battery life is second to none, screen is amazing, camera takes awesome photos. Good job Samsung. They knocked it out of the part with this product.

Futureman

For people saying "No shit, iPhone came out almost a year ago and the S7 only released a few months ago," that is not historically how sales went. iPhone would typically still be outselling the new Samsung at this time of the year.

I and a few other people I know switched from iPhone to the S7. Sounds like it's Samsung's most popular phone ever.

Battery life is second to none

Don't agree. It's the only thing I don't love about my S7. Battery life is pretty average (US version).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I camped out for the original iPhone, and have since owned a 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, and am currently rocking a 64GB 6s Plus.

The 6s+ is the best iPhone I've ever used, obviously. Honestly, it's darn near perfect. I do wish it had OLED, but otherwise it has great build quality, is super fast (CPU, GPU, and storage), and the battery is great.

Thing is, for the first time since forever, the competition actually has all those things, too.

dankir

So I've had a Galaxy Note 3 for 3 years now as my work phone and I could either order an S7 or Note 5 right now (company covers everything)

Should I upgrade? There's no S7 Edge unfortunately.

Deku Tree

I would think that Samsungs latest flagship phone when it recently came out always outsells iPhone during the period when it's at the end of is life cycle and about to be replaced.

Arc

So I've had a Galaxy Note 3 for 3 years now as my work phone and I could either order an S7 or Note 5 right now (company covers everything)

Wait a few months for the Note 7.

For people saying "No shit, iPhone came out almost a year ago and the S7 only released a few months ago," that is not historically how sales went. iPhone would typically still be outselling the new Samsung at this time of the year.

I and a few other people I know switched from iPhone to the S7. Sounds like it's Samsung's most popular phone ever.

Don't agree. It's the only thing I don't love about my S7. Battery life is pretty average (US version).
Sorry, was referring to the Edge version. Lasts all damn day for me.

I would think that Samsungs latest flagship phone when it recently came out always outsells iPhone during the period when it's at the end of is life cycle and about to be replaced.
Thing is, it usually doesn't. This is the first time it has, I think.

marrec

Banned

I went from a Note 3 to an S6 Edge and yes you should upgrade.

jax

Banned
Maybe because the iPhone 6 line is the worst iPhone design. Giant bezels. Too big to use with one hand. Ugly antenna bars. (On +) useless landscape mode.

random25

I'm not a fan of Samsung phones but I must say that S7 is the best smartphone in the market right now. Kudos to them for correcting a lot of their mishaps in S6 and just releasing a totally unique product that separates itself from the iPhone looks.

Deku Tree

Sorry, was referring to the Edge version. Lasts all damn day for me.

Thing is, it usually doesn't. This is the first time it has, I think.

Not saying your wrong but I'd love to see recent numbers from the last few years.

Edit: and I would think that really old numbers don't count because iPhone sales have been heavily front loaded in the last few years.

Well deserved. Especially with the S7 Edge. Everything about it is just insane. I always find myself using my phone more because it it's much more convenient to use than my pc. Hopefully, they can keep this momentum up.

Wonder what the Note 7 will be like.

TheMan

good. hopefully this will push apple to actually be innovative. it's been a while. i used to think jobs was basically a glorified salesman, but under cook apple is just boring now.

Jeffrey

Both are excellent phones and obvious choices if I had to buy one today, but what makes them original?

not sure about the normal s7, but I don't think there are any other big companies doing something like the Edge. Heck you don't even see many or any chinese companies copying that, so I assume its not the easiest thing to recreate.

Never owned one but at least from looking at one, the s7 edge sure is sexy as hell and a big differentiator that you can recognize at a glance, unlike most phones these days.

CronoShot

Considering the 2016 iPhone is heavily rumored to be pretty meh in terms of differences from the 6S (and controversial if they do remove the headphone jack) this year could be pretty huge for Samsung and Android in general.

good. hopefully this will push apple to actually be innovative. it's been a while. i used to think jobs was basically a glorified salesman, but under cook apple is just boring now.

It won't. I'm pretty sure this has happened the last few years when the hot new Sammy phone is competing with an older iPhone. Then the next iteration of iPhone comes out and shits on the Sammy.

I don't believe this is a new pattern and I expect it will continue to be a thing since Apple moved iPhone releases to the Fall. They used to be in the summer. They essentially give Samsung a 4 or 5 month head start as a result.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I expect iPhone to stagnate massively with the next 7 release, a better camera and a removed headphone jack make a pretty weak case.

Downshifted to an SE, from a 6S Plus myself. I will jump back to annual cycle in 2017 provided they have a major update, and that it comes with a small screen phone in the lineup.

sikkinixx

Considering the 2016 iPhone is heavily rumored to be pretty meh in terms of differences from the 6S (and controversial if they do remove the headphone jack) this year could be pretty huge for Samsung and Android in general.

Yup. Apple better have A really good iPhone in 2017

TheMan

It won't. I'm pretty sure this has happened the last few years when the hot new Sammy phone is competing with an older iPhone. Then the next iteration of iPhone comes out and shits on the Sammy.

I don't believe this is a new pattern and I expect it will continue to be a thing since Apple moved iPhone releases to the Fall. They used to be in the summer. They essentially give Samsung a 4 or 5 month head start as a result.

damn, well that's a shame. somebody needs to come along and slap apple in the mouth with their huge, veiny innovation.

Jeffrey

damn, well that's a shame. somebody needs to come along and slap apple in the mouth with their huge, veiny innovation.

the whole headphone jack thing this year is going to be the ultimate test.

If diehard fanboys are scratching their heads... then shit probably is gonna change, otherwise things will probably just putter along as usual.

the whole headphone jack thing this year is going to be the ultimate test.

If diehard fanboys are scratching their heads... then shit probably is gonna change, otherwise things will probably just putter along as usual.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the flagship Android phones are making the same move. Or did I mishear?

Futureman

Agreed.

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the flagship Android phones are making the same move. Or did I mishear?

The Moto Z has no headphone jack. I don't believe any others are rumored to ditch it. Moto still has like 3 other lines though that will probably keep it.

I just got an S7 Active today because my iphone 3G literally died in the heat of my car today. Well, sort of.

It died in the heat of my car with the AC on and no sun shining on it, because it's 7 years old and needed to be replaced, anyway.

I didn't want to get the Edge because of it being made of glass, and figured that any processing power the Edge would give me over the Active would be balanced by the fact that the Active could take a drop on the floors at work and the Edge probably wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom