• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung S7/Edge has been outselling the iPhone 6S/+ in the US for the past 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good. Let's hope it keeps Apple pushing forward to improve on their hardware.

I've considered switching to an android phone, but man, I just can't. Playing with my sister's S7 for an afternoon pretty much dashed those ideas.
I love the hardware associated with android, but I just can't stand the OS. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels so botched together.

The day android gets a huge fucking overhaul is the day I might actually switch over.

RibMan

So I've had a Galaxy Note 3 for 3 years now as my work phone and I could either order an S7 or Note 5 right now (company covers everything)

Should I upgrade? There's no S7 Edge unfortunately.

Note 5, unless your company is willing to swing for the Note 7 (which is being revealed in less than 3 weeks).

Couleurs

It's really surprising... we'll see how it goes for the IPhone 7

It shouldn't be a big surprise since this is the first time a mid year iPhone version has been released (SE) which cannibalizes sales from the main version.

Good for Samsung though; im due for an upgrade in Sept and if the iPhone 7 is as boring as the rumors make it look, I might have to look into getting an S7 (my big concern would be having to repurchase my apps/games, I wish there was a way to transfer licenses where this wouldn't be an issue)

Hopefully this lights a fire under Apple's ass since the last few years have felt pretty stale in terms of innovation or new features.

LeleSocho

Banned
With the S6 and S7 Samsung is showing that it kinda understands what makes the iPhone so popular and loved, in my humble opinion they are still 3-4 steps behind but when i see some choices made by them i see the potential of a true iPhone competitor.

The interesting part will be with the 2017 iPhone where Apple according to rumors should shaken things up a lot.

Jeffrey

Good. Let's hope it keeps Apple pushing forward to improve on their hardware.

I've considered switching to an android phone, but man, I just can't. Playing with my sister's S7 for an afternoon pretty much dashed those ideas.
I love the hardware associated with android, but I just can't stand the OS. I can't put my finger on it, but it just feels so botched together.

The day android gets a huge fucking overhaul is the day I might actually switch over.

picked up a personal android phone recently (usually just use them for work). Outside of a few rough edges, the general workflow and integration between 3rd party apps and with the os is much better than ios. Took maybe a day to get used to it.

the 'back' button is huge for multitasking, and apple's kinda halfassed implementation in ios 9 with the top left top right to navigate between apps isn't there yet.

Fix the jankiness with the OS and have it work better with the hardware and then I'll consider an Android phone. As of now, having had both types of phones, I can say for certain that iOS is optimized and works much better with the hardware and third party software.

Phone is gorgeous and feels amazing in hand, though.

Skux

It's not looking good for the iPhone 7 either. Apple is simply getting outclassed by better phones with bigger screens and better cameras.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
the predictability of the release dates of both phones probably has alot to do with it as well.

iphone is expected in September so any prospect iphone buyers rather wait for the next model. where as galaxy phones releases in march/april so their sales are the highest during the first couple of months.

also i think iphones are probably insanely front loaded in sales as most people who buy iphones get them near release as their cellular contracts are likely in sync with their renewal.

How good is that water resistance?

dropped it in a glass of water at a restaurant to show my edginess. no damage at all.

I think its rated for 4 1/2 feet for 30 mins. I've personally been 6 or 7 feet underwater with my S5 (only for a minute or so though).

These things are legit

Furyous

Apple releases sales numbers.
Samsung does not release sales numbers.

Analysts are supposed to strike their Apple is doomed narrative because that is their job. Three months are left until the next iphone comes out. It's very disingenuous to wait until the end of the iphone 6s cycle and write an Apple stating S7 sales overtook 6s sales.

Guevara

dropped it in a glass of water at a restaurant to show my edginess. no damage at all.

I think its rated for 4 1/2 feet for 30 mins. I've personally been 6 or 7 feet underwater with my S5 (only for a minute or so though).

These things are legit
It's crazy that we have this technology, but it's not on everything

posted from my iPhone

Jeremy

I'll probably go to Samsung if the iPhone 7 isn't a big upgrade. iOS 10 doesn't look appealing at all. I'll try to wait for the S8 in that case.

The only reason I'm holding on is because of iMessage and now that my friends and I have a GroupMe for our Android friends.....

Really want an S7 Edge. Will probably hold off for the Note 7 though.

Have been a fully Nexus guy in the past, but I hate not having a really good camera on me at all times with my daughter + one on the way.

Jeffrey

In other news, Apple still controls 92% of all smartphone industry profits

Samsung had to give away the farm just to outsell the 9 month old iPhone 6S...huge marketing push, free GearVR headsets, etc. Probably a pyhric victory for them, considering that a new Apple onslaught begins in 8 weeks or so.

most definitely. It's not hard at all to find samsung or basically any other android phone at a good discount.

high end market is getting killed by the cheaper decent phones out of china. Heck even apple is feeling it a bit.

I doubt apple would have even done the iphone SE, if they weren't losing ground in india/china.

Think apple will always dominate profits though, even if huawei or other companies take the lead.

reKon

Banned
The GAF dark mobile theme on the black S7 edge is a beautiful thing (which doesn't use as much battery). Find me something sexier than that.

emag

Wonder how the figures change if the SE (a 6S in a smaller body) is included.

Still, the GS7 is a really nice phone and a huge improvement over old Galaxy phones (and Android devices as a whole) whereas the 6S is an evolution of the 6 (huge SoC upgrade, but 3D touch is a tough sell, and invisible durability upgrades are invisible).

As for me, I'll only consider compact phones, which no longer exist on the Android side (at least not with modern capabilities).

Current 6P owner, but heavily considered the S7 Edge. That thing is amazing in its own right. Probably gonna wait til the next Note to move, though.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Better than apples.

These things are legit

I've dropped it in sinks, tubs, ran water over it to clean it off. It works flawlessly in my book.

I'm jealous. The iPhone gets fucked up pretty easily if just a little water gets in the wrong place, not even submerged.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I've been seeing a lot of S7 Edge's around work and around town, haven't seen this many Samsungs in the wild since the S3.

border

I'm jealous. The iPhone gets fucked up pretty easily if just a little water gets in the wrong place, not even submerged.

Apple made the iPhone 6s nearly waterproof and didn't tell anyone

Iphone 6S has been mostly waterproofed. I presume it's not an advertised feature because they don't want people to "test" the waterproofing, and they don't want to have to honor any water damage claims against the warranty in the event that the waterproofing does fail.

I went with the S7 Edge over cheaper alternatives for the free Gear VR. Amazing promo for a phone that is already top shelf.

SpecX

Congrats Samsung. Looking forward to the Note 7 reveal and upgrading to it from my Note 3. This phone has been great to me and gets by, but the design is old, the noticeable lag in newer apps, and not to mention the chips and dings on the silver trim show it's time for me to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom