• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Unveil 2022 Neo QLED Mini LED & MicroLED TV, But No QD-OLED (Yet)

ParaSeoul

Some cool new features include 14 bit color,144hz and Dolby Atmos.

One bad feature is an intergrated NFT store...

XOYsUJ6.png

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Didn't know there was a model below the Q800 on the 8K side. For some reason RTINGs never looked at any of them.

Haggard

Banned
I hope the Mirco LED TVs don`t turn out to be pure PR-Products with 5+ figure prices.
Can´t wait for this "holy grail" to become mainstream.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

110" Micro LED will definitely be out of £££ range unless you own a yacht!

I'm not even interested in 8K at this time, but I am keen to see the screen sizes / prices of the 2022 4K NEO QLED sets. Hoping they go beyond the current 85".

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

ethomaz

Banned
It just me of I find these model names all confusing :D

They should differentiate better 8k and 4k plus flagship from stop down and entry... QN900B and QN90B are very similar.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Their tvs are plagued with inverse ghosting already at 120hz, I can only imagine how bad it will be at 144hz.

dave_d

I hope the Mirco LED TVs don`t turn out to be pure PR-Products with 5+ figure prices.
Can´t wait for this "holy grail" to become mainstream.
Given that the smallest one is 89" I'm not expecting cheap. Oh well, at least it looks like it's a real microled and not a lcd with microled back lighting.

Genx3

Looking for a holy grail technology that will approach OLED qualities without the burn in. Use TV as PC monitor and no I'm not going to babysit a fucking TV.
That should be Micro LED. Problem is the panels are very expensive to make right now.
It'll probably be 5 years before those panels are affordable to produce for the masses.

Elios83

So like every year the press claims they're jumping on OLED but Samsung Electronics just doesn't care. Samsung Display is the one doing R&D on OLED and QD-OLED.
Let's see if Sony actually launches some QD-OLED TVs this year but even in the case I fear it will be small volumes at really high prices like 3500-4000$ for a 55".
Sony's conference is tomorrow so we'll find out soon.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
MicroLED/Crystal-LED might just not reach real consumer market. By the end of time that it gets cheap enough those OLED iterations might mature enough to avoid all the OLED flaws.

Imtjnotu

Micro Led has more to do with physics and less to do with price. Shrinking down LED's to that small at this point in time is impossible. Which is why the panels have to be so big to support so many lights in the screen

OLEDs pixels can be printed as small at 6.3um where as the smallest micron led is 50um.

This tech is maybe ten years away for anything smaller than a 75" where as oled has room to grow and improve

Kuranghi

Micro Led has more to do with physics and less to do with price. Shrinking down LED's to that small at this point in time is impossible. Which is why the panels have to be so big to support so many lights in the screen

OLEDs pixels can be printed as small at 6.3um where as the smallest micron led is 50um.

This tech is maybe ten years away for anything smaller than a 75" where as oled has room to grow and improve

I think theres also a massive "time to manufacture" issue, I read it takes a huge amount of time for the robot arms to pick and place the required ~8.3 million (or ~33 million for 8K lol) "pixels".

In Vincent Teoh video an industry guy was saying how you needed to be at this manfacturing spec/tolerance level where you have errors in the parts per billion ratio rather than parts per million to achieve a reasonable yield rate for the panels and I think he said there was only a handful of factories in the world that had that rating at the time.

ParaSeoul

Looking for a holy grail technology that will approach OLED qualities without the burn in. Use TV as PC monitor and no I'm not going to babysit a fucking TV.
Well you're going to have to pay $100K plus or wait 10-15 years. Theres still people who think you need to baby OLEDs,maybe just stick to LCD in your case.

If they have MicroLED mass production going on they can pack up the QD-LED Operation and just go from there.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Well you're going to have to pay $100K plus or wait 10-15 years. Theres still people who think you need to baby OLEDs,maybe just stick to LCD in your case.

It’s not going to be 10-15 years. 15 years ago we where still using CRTs the leaps and bounds have been incredible.

I’m all in on microled moment it’s $20k< for 140” screen.

Can I use an OLED as a PC monitor? No? Oh you need to baby it with any static image you say..

Insane Metal

Gold Member
QD-OLED is there.

ethomaz

Banned
Not only Samsung is moving to OLED their first product received the best innovation award at CES.

Samsung’s 65” QD-Display TV is the world’s first true RGB self-emitting Quantum Dot OLED display—revolutionizing TV by combining the contrast levels of RGB OLED with the color and brightness of quantum dots for ultimate visuals. The QD-Display TV combines a groundbreaking new QD-OLED display with Samsung’s gorgeous Infinity One Design and immersive Object Tracking Sound technology. It’s built with our 2022 Neo Quantum Processor for superior image quality, while boasting a 144Hz refresh rate and four HDMI 2.1 inputs—both wins for gamers. With impeccable visuals, sound, and speed, the QD-Display TV represents the next frontier in home entertainment.

The most fun is the marketing images that talks about the better image quality compared to "conventional displays".

Last edited:

FeldMonster

If they have MicroLED mass production going on they can pack up the QD-LED Operation and just go from there.
I think they are hedging their bets.

Samsung Electronics have LCD as the most mature technology, and are clearly the market leader in LCD technology. However, Samsung Display has recently ended LCD production due to Chinese price competition for LCD panels.

They are behind LG for TV size O.L.E.D., but are hoping to leapfrog them with QD-O.L.E.D. They likely have a patent advantage on that technology, due to their Q.L.E.D. tech the past few years.

Micro-LED is clearly "the future", but getting the cost down in manufacturing requires actually manufacturing panels and finding efficiencies along the way. If the time to achieve this is too long, they don't want to be stuck without mainstream products to sell, hence the mature LCD and near future QD-O.L.E.D. products in their pipeline.

ethomaz

Banned
I think they are hedging their bets.

Samsung Electronics have LCD as the most mature technology, and are clearly the market leader in LCD technology. However, Samsung Display has recently ended LCD production due to Chinese price competition for LCD panels.

They are behind LG for TV size O.L.E.D., but are hoping to leapfrog them with QD-O.L.E.D. They likely have a patent advantage on that technology, due to their Q.L.E.D. tech the past few years.

Micro-LED is clearly "the future", but getting the cost down in manufacturing requires actually manufacturing panels and finding efficiencies along the way. If the time to achieve this is too long, they don't want to be stuck without mainstream products to sell, hence the mature LCD and near future QD-O.L.E.D. products in their pipeline.
Yeap I believe we will see a lot more QLED and OLED from Samsung before we get microLED to a affordable consumer price... after all Samsung needs some high-end panels for TVs until microLED... so QD-OLED.

microLED will be a thing after 2025 maybe.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Why does your TV need to sell you NFTs?
You need to think why not? After all the manufacturer probably got a cut from the sale.

So the question for the manufacture was probably “why not put a native app that allow us to increase the revenue?”.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wearing thread?
Just trying to keep all the TV talk in one post I guess people can start new threads on each if they like

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/4/2...led-qdoled-4k-tv-announced-features-explainer

Sony is setting some pretty grand expectations with its 2022 TV lineup — led by the introduction of the world’s first consumer QD-OLED TV. The company’s current and well-regarded OLED sets use panels from LG Display that are tuned with Sony’s own processing. But the new flagship Bravia XR A95K TV will include a QD-OLED (quantum dot organic light emitting diode) panel manufactured by none other than Samsung Display. It’ll come in 65-inch and 55-inch sizes, with both coming in at 4K resolution.

It was rumored that Samsung Electronics might announce a QD-OLED 4K TV at CES 2022, but that hasn’t panned out so far. So it’s Sony that gets the prime spotlight instead. Samsung Display has been developing QD-OLED for a number of years, and the display technology could become something of a middle step between standard OLED and the MicroLED displays that only Samsung is selling right now — for ungodly sums of money.

QD-OLED is designed to combine the best traits of OLED (perfect blacks, infinite contrast, etc.) with benefits of quantum dot LED TVs like improved brightness and more vivid color reproduction at higher brightness levels. It’s not a major new approach like Micro LED, but more of a progression from where things have stood for a few years.

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OLED AND QD-OLED?​

QD-OLED screens differ from the traditional OLED panels that’ve long been manufactured by LG Display in the way they produce an image. LG’s displays are considered WRGB OLED, because they use blue and yellow OLED compound to generate white-ish light pixels that are passed through color filters to produce red, green, and blue sub-pixels. More recent OLED TVs also have a fourth unfiltered / white sub-pixel meant to enhance brightness — especially for HDR content.
QD-OLED changes this up by emitting blue light through quantum dots to convert some of that blue into red and green without any need for the color filter. (Blue is used because it has the strongest light energy.) This leads to greater light energy efficiency; since you’re not losing any light to the color filters, QD-OLED TVs should offer brightness gains compared to past-generation OLEDs.
Screen_Shot_2022_01_03_at_1.51.06_PM.png
A simplified breakdown of QD-OLED. Image: Samsung Display
They should also be able to maintain vivid quantum dot color reproduction even at peak brightness levels, whereas WRGB OLED can sometimes exhibit some desaturation when pushed that far. In Sony’s case, the company is claiming that QD-OLED “boosts color brightness by up to 200 percent compared to conventional TVs.” The already-superb viewing angles of OLED are claimed to be even better on QD-OLED since there’s more diffusion happening without the color filter in the way.
The possibility of burn-in isn’t eliminated by QD-OLED, but the hope is that these panels could exhibit a longer overall life span than existing OLED TVs since the pixels aren’t working as hard. Samsung Display is using three layers of blue OLED material for each pixel, and that could preserve their longevity.
Sony is still sourcing from LG Display for its other 2022 OLEDs, the A90K and A80K, so that business relationship isn’t going anywhere. But the company now finds itself in the unique position of having two different types of OLED TVs. It’ll be very interesting to see the head-to-head comparisons between QD-OLED and the best “normal” OLED sets from LG and Sony once they all start shipping to consumers this spring.

A95K_Cable_Management.jpg
The A95K QD-OLED TV has built-in cable management. Image: Sony
Aside from its one-of-a-kind panel, the A95K comes with a unique stand that can either put the TV in a “front position” style, where the display is in front of the stand, or a “back position” if you want to position the pricey TV right up against a wall. The back of the TV also has a funky look to it that I can appreciate with built-in cable management. Even the step-down A90K OLED’s stand has a trick where it can raise the display enough for a soundbar to rest on it without obstructing the view.

A90K_Stand_Raised.jpg
The A90K’s stand in the optional soundbar position. Image: Sony
All of Sony’s latest OLEDs will support 4K gaming at 120Hz, auto HDR tone mapping when connected to a PS5, and auto low latency mode. And these TVs will finally ship with the option for variable refresh rate out of the box instead of making buyers wait for a software update like past models. Hopefully that’s a sign that VRR is coming closer to arriving on the PlayStation 5 itself.

Google TV remains Sony’s software of choice for 2022, and the lineup continues to feature the company’s word salad of branded features like XR OLED Contrast Pro, XR Triluminos Max (for the A95K) or Pro (for the rest), and Acoustic Surface Audio Plus. Sony really does get some fantastic audio performance from its premium TVs, and its in-house processing also slightly bests LG’s OLED lineup in picture quality, so the names are probably here to stay.

Sony also announced its first line of Micro LED TVs, which I’ve covered separately. Pricing and specific release dates for all the TVs will be announced in the coming months.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Just trying to keep all the TV talk in one post I guess people can start new threads on each if they like

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/4/2...led-qdoled-4k-tv-announced-features-explainer

Sony is setting some pretty grand expectations with its 2022 TV lineup — led by the introduction of the world’s first consumer QD-OLED TV. The company’s current and well-regarded OLED sets use panels from LG Display that are tuned with Sony’s own processing. But the new flagship Bravia XR A95K TV will include a QD-OLED (quantum dot organic light emitting diode) panel manufactured by none other than Samsung Display. It’ll come in 65-inch and 55-inch sizes, with both coming in at 4K resolution.

It was rumored that Samsung Electronics might announce a QD-OLED 4K TV at CES 2022, but that hasn’t panned out so far. So it’s Sony that gets the prime spotlight instead. Samsung Display has been developing QD-OLED for a number of years, and the display technology could become something of a middle step between standard OLED and the MicroLED displays that only Samsung is selling right now — for ungodly sums of money.

QD-OLED is designed to combine the best traits of OLED (perfect blacks, infinite contrast, etc.) with benefits of quantum dot LED TVs like improved brightness and more vivid color reproduction at higher brightness levels. It’s not a major new approach like Micro LED, but more of a progression from where things have stood for a few years.

WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OLED AND QD-OLED?​

QD-OLED screens differ from the traditional OLED panels that’ve long been manufactured by LG Display in the way they produce an image. LG’s displays are considered WRGB OLED, because they use blue and yellow OLED compound to generate white-ish light pixels that are passed through color filters to produce red, green, and blue sub-pixels. More recent OLED TVs also have a fourth unfiltered / white sub-pixel meant to enhance brightness — especially for HDR content.
QD-OLED changes this up by emitting blue light through quantum dots to convert some of that blue into red and green without any need for the color filter. (Blue is used because it has the strongest light energy.) This leads to greater light energy efficiency; since you’re not losing any light to the color filters, QD-OLED TVs should offer brightness gains compared to past-generation OLEDs.
Screen_Shot_2022_01_03_at_1.51.06_PM.png
A simplified breakdown of QD-OLED. Image: Samsung Display
They should also be able to maintain vivid quantum dot color reproduction even at peak brightness levels, whereas WRGB OLED can sometimes exhibit some desaturation when pushed that far. In Sony’s case, the company is claiming that QD-OLED “boosts color brightness by up to 200 percent compared to conventional TVs.” The already-superb viewing angles of OLED are claimed to be even better on QD-OLED since there’s more diffusion happening without the color filter in the way.
The possibility of burn-in isn’t eliminated by QD-OLED, but the hope is that these panels could exhibit a longer overall life span than existing OLED TVs since the pixels aren’t working as hard. Samsung Display is using three layers of blue OLED material for each pixel, and that could preserve their longevity.
Sony is still sourcing from LG Display for its other 2022 OLEDs, the A90K and A80K, so that business relationship isn’t going anywhere. But the company now finds itself in the unique position of having two different types of OLED TVs. It’ll be very interesting to see the head-to-head comparisons between QD-OLED and the best “normal” OLED sets from LG and Sony once they all start shipping to consumers this spring.

A95K_Cable_Management.jpg
The A95K QD-OLED TV has built-in cable management. Image: Sony
Aside from its one-of-a-kind panel, the A95K comes with a unique stand that can either put the TV in a “front position” style, where the display is in front of the stand, or a “back position” if you want to position the pricey TV right up against a wall. The back of the TV also has a funky look to it that I can appreciate with built-in cable management. Even the step-down A90K OLED’s stand has a trick where it can raise the display enough for a soundbar to rest on it without obstructing the view.

A90K_Stand_Raised.jpg
The A90K’s stand in the optional soundbar position. Image: Sony
All of Sony’s latest OLEDs will support 4K gaming at 120Hz, auto HDR tone mapping when connected to a PS5, and auto low latency mode. And these TVs will finally ship with the option for variable refresh rate out of the box instead of making buyers wait for a software update like past models. Hopefully that’s a sign that VRR is coming closer to arriving on the PlayStation 5 itself.

Google TV remains Sony’s software of choice for 2022, and the lineup continues to feature the company’s word salad of branded features like XR OLED Contrast Pro, XR Triluminos Max (for the A95K) or Pro (for the rest), and Acoustic Surface Audio Plus. Sony really does get some fantastic audio performance from its premium TVs, and its in-house processing also slightly bests LG’s OLED lineup in picture quality, so the names are probably here to stay.

Sony also announced its first line of Micro LED TVs, which I’ve covered separately. Pricing and specific release dates for all the TVs will be announced in the coming months.
It just there is an active thread for Sony TVs.

Anyway that A95X looks like a champ QD-OLED.

Before Samsung goes ahead and charges an arm and a leg, maybe they should make sure their OEM suppliers give them panels free of banding and dirty screen effect.

Their tvs are plagued with inverse ghosting already at 120hz, I can only imagine how bad it will be at 144hz.
Saw the same thing when I briefly own a QN90A. What I think lots of gamers don't realize is picture processing gets nerfed in game mode, but even more so at 120hz.

Top Bottom