• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung's QD-OLED, QLED and yes, MicroLED Tvs at CES!

TLZ

Banned
Nice. Looking forward to what MicroLED can offer. Want to see more of it and reviews.

So glad MicroLED is getting close. We've all known it was the future, OLED was just a detour for the industry while this was worked on.
I love my OLEDs but i suspect they will go the way of Plasma eventually thanks to Micro LED.

with the new LGs and their improved brightness it seems burn in is the last thing holding them back but even then they've been doing a good job of reducing the chances of that. i really think you need to be completely ignorant or go out of your way to get burn in with any modern OLED.

hopefully by the time my OLEDs are out of warranty (2025/26) and start havng issues that i can replace them with a Micro LED at a reasonable price. if not I'll grab another OLED and ride that out for another 5+ years.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love my OLEDs but i suspect they will go the way of Plasma eventually thanks to Micro LED.

with the new LGs and their improved brightness it seems burn in is the last thing holding them back but even then they've been doing a good job of reducing the chances of that. i really think you need to be completely ignorant or go out of your way to get burn in with any modern OLED.

hopefully by the time my OLEDs are out of warranty (2025/26) and start havng issues that i can replace them with a Micro LED at a reasonable price. if not I'll grab another OLED and ride that out for another 5+ years.
Thats my hope too, OLED has been a fine detour, flaws and all, but its time is numbered in the TV space. This year I'll be replacing my 82" Q8FN with a 83" LG OLED to get me through the next few years while I wait for MicroLED to hit the market.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thats how all cutting edge tech starts. OLED was insane too when it was first prototyped. Once manufacturing gears up to build it in mass quantities, prices will fall to mass market level.
Exactly I remember seeing a plasma TV for the first time and it was stupid expensive as well, it will come down

Thats how all cutting edge tech starts. OLED was insane too when it was first prototyped. Once manufacturing gears up to build it in mass quantities, prices will fall to mass market level.

Samsung has been "announcing" MicroLED for 6 years now. Still no one can afford to buy one except ultra-rich people

As of right now it's just marketing

That's why they were forced to enter the OLED market with QD-OLED last year

Last edited:

2013:

LG was the first manufacturer to ship large-screen OLED TV to Korea and Europe, and today the company claims "first" for its U.S. model.

The LG 55EA9800, a 55-inch OLED TV with a curved screen, will be available for preorder today at a price of $14,999.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Samsung has been "announcing" MicroLED for 6 years now. Still no one can afford to buy one except ultra-rich people

I'm not a Samsung lover or anything (in fact I hate their phones and am an Apple guy..) but their display division is amazing. They've been very direct and open with MicroLED, and have used the ultra high-end market to pay for the R&D cost of getting the tech where it needs to be for mass market. They've done it right in my eyes, starting with ultra large panels for events/corps, then moving to ultra-rich market for home panels at crazy sizes, and now have been miniaturizing the tech to get it into the mass market. You are getting to see the evolution of the technology in a very transparent way. I love it. MicroLED has always been the "holy grail" of flat panel displays, and so far Samsung has been the one leading the way with it.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

That's why they were forced to enter the OLED market with QD-OLED last year
No they haven't. They developed The Wall for businesses but they've stated in the past that the technology needs to improve quite a bit before reaching the market. Now, after a few years, they have a proof of concept. I bet we'll have actual products in less than 5 years, which is very good news (and a short time).

Not nearly in the same ballpark as MicroLED

A 89" MicroLED costs 80K... If you can actually find it

15K for a 55" is cheap in comparison
Price goes up exponentially with price - LG had a 77" on display that year too but I don't see a price for it listed anywhere because I don't think it was for sale. All I'm trying to say is that prices always come down, and usually drastically - I think LG the next year had a 55" OLED for $3500.

Samsung needs to improve the guts of their TV’s before I ever consider looking.
I’ve been pimping out my current Samsung trying to get rid of it at work.

b0uncyfr0

Everyone is turning up the heat this year. Here's Panasonic's new MLA panel - peak brightness at 1500 nits on a 10% window.
That's higher than the S95C. I really wasn't expecting that.

Super excited about MicroLED too - we will see panels next year at insanely stupid prices.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I deserve a 65" MicroLED.
i want one tombstone GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Nice to see some MicroLED models. Looking forward to when they’re more affordable.

Reallink

The problem with mLED is that the manufacturing step IS (and always has been) the hurdle and stumbling block. I'm doubtful anyone besides Samsung will be able to produce them at scale for a LONG time, meaning they can set prices where ever they want for probably half a decade or more.

Everyone is turning up the heat this year. Here's Panasonic's new MLA panel - peak brightness at 1500 nits on a 10% window.

Super excited about MicroLED too - we will see panels next year at insanely stupid prices.

In the video Vincent states that this is the single largest jump in OLED screen brightness that we have seen.

This new MLA OLED panel from LG has really knocked the breath out of QD-OLED. This may be why Sony aren't going to announce any new TVs at CES this year. Perhaps they are going back to LG and need a little more time to finish their new designs?

If I am being honest I wouldn't blink to spend $10,000 on the perfect no compromise TV
Is there such a thing as a perfect TV? Are those TVs as good when dealing with motion blur than CRTs?

At this point I don't care about brightness, I want CRT (lack of) motion blur.

Last edited:

vpance

This MLA OLED is still WRGB. Rec 2020 color volume was a lot lower than QD OLED panels but overall it looks like another solid competitor for next year.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is there such a thing as a perfect TV? Are those TVs as good when dealing with motion blur than CRTs?

At this point I don't care about brightness, I want CRT (lack of) motion blur.
Thats why I say it has to be the perfect TV and really hope micro led is it and we see actual products relatively soon 2-3 years time maybe?

Buggy Loop

Fip9L1BXkAAHidw.jpg

When will the race of nits stop? What is this fucking shit? I feel this is a stupid gimmick. So far off the references of like half a century of film making.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Fip9L1BXkAAHidw.jpg

When will the race of nits stop? What is this fucking shit? I feel this is a stupid gimmick. So far off the references of like half a century of film making.
Realism? When I get flashbanged in CoD my 700 nits monitor literally makes me turn my head cause it's so bright.

1500 nits - I'm not sure if I'm ready to go blind for minutes.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Let's see how peoples react when their eyes melt

season 3 krabby land GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
This is such an overreaction, just because it can tap out at a high number doesn't mean EVERYTHING will be that high, I've seen mastering monitors at 2,000 nits and demoed 2,500 nits displays, what the higher count does is actually allow the brightness range to be more realistic and natural, yes the centre of the sun is going to be 2,000 nits but everything else will then be spread across 1,000 nits on average with only the peaks going above that from bright lights to stars in the sky (which against pure blacks looks amazing). What the higher nit count allows is a more natural range of brightness in the image.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is such an overreaction, just because it can tap out at a high number doesn't mean EVERYTHING will be that high, I've seen mastering monitors at 2,000 nits and demoed 2,500 nits displays, what the higher count does is actually allow the brightness range to be more realistic and natural, yes the centre of the sun is going to be 2,000 nits but everything else will then be spread across 1,000 nits on average with only the peaks going above that from bright lights to stars in the sky (which against pure blacks looks amazing). What the higher nit count allows is a more natural range of brightness in the image.
So many do not really understand what true HDR is and too many times I see this whole X number of nits is good enough for everyone

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
So many do not really understand what true HDR is and too many times I see this whole X number of nits is good enough for everyone

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF
yup, its got to the point where I don't even bother responding to them anymore, its just too annoying having to fight misinformation so often. The LG 70% brighter OLED thread is just hurting my brain reading thanks to all the stupid takes (and people who apparently have no appreciation for windows and enjoying having a view of the world)

Top Bottom