• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Season 5 |OT| But Yeah, I’m Thinking I’m Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickhunt

It is nice finally have closure, but I'll be lying if I say that I'm satisfied with this ending and season.

1. If the timeline is linear, and Ashi's disappearance implies that, Jack just erased all his friends from existence. Sure, it is nice to see the people from his past again, but Jack's bonds were with the people from the future, and they are gone forever.

2. If there is multiple timelines, Jack just left the future to be ruled forever by Aku.

It feels wrong with how this all happened. At the very least, I feel that Jack should had killed Aku in the future, before returning to the past.

ASaiyan

Banned
Oh my God, he did it.

HE WENT BACK. BACK TO THE PAST. SAMURAI JACK.

That payoff was amazing; I honestly thought Genndy wasn't gonna do it and have just it end in the future. And that shoutout to my favorite ever anime with the Gurren Lagann style ending...amazing.

Harpoon

This felt pretty rushed at the end there, but overall, I was pretty satisfied. He got back to the past after all!

2. If there is multiple timelines, Jack just left the future to be ruled forever by Aku.

Ashi being wiped from existence implies that is not the case.

Akainu

Not for one chick, there was in fact a world in aku timeline with plenty of good. I think the writers should have moved forward with that timeline with all the bad Aku did but with the hope that now things can get better. Doesn't feel right to erase everything like that imo
Which are all from other planets right? That shit ain't our problem.

zeemumu

It did?! Thats surprising

Yep

Eddy: We did it, Double D! Everyone loves us! We're finally in, baby!
Edd: And it only took 130 episodes, 4 specials and a movie, Eddy!

The original Powerpuff Girls had an anniversary movie serving as a sorta-finale too, no?

Powerpuff Girls Rule? Eh, a little. That special contradicts the movie with what Mojo Jojo's motivations are. In the movie it was primate dominance. In the special it turns out that he had the answer to curing all of the world's problems and just needed to take complete command to enact it.

But the ending to the special implies that it'll go on forever.

But we saw Miss Bellum's face for one frame, so, closure?

Well, no matter what my thoughts might be of the final episodes, I do have to say that the three-punch combo of this season's opening episodes was probably the high water mark of the series.

If nothing else, it was worth it just for those three episodes.

JSevere

a bit rushed for sure, but still damn good stuff. wanted to see Jack get back to the past and cut the shit out of Aku and I got that, thanks Genndy. absolutely beautiful and bittersweet ending to one of the most unique animated series ever made.

hope it isn't too long til Genndy's next show. 2019 please?

I liked the episode, but I would've had Ashi vanish when he was about to kiss her and then explain it. I also thought it was too much of a rush or cop out for Ashi to gain Aku's time travel powers. I wanted to see him beat Aku, then beat The Guardian and go through his portal to undue the future.

jwk94

Courage technically had an ending when he killed off all the villains in that dodgeball episode lol

poor katz ;_;

Ah wait, Courage did get a proper ending. The last episode was a flashback about how he ended up with Muriel and Eustace. Shit was depressing as all hell.

Jack not becoming a weathered king and Ashi being the only one to disappear in the end kinda confirms that there are alternate timelines.

The Guardian's portal showed one possible timeline, but somewhere along the way that timeline diverged.

Jack was able to return to the past via Ashi in that timeline.

But since she returned him to the previous past timeline, he doesn't disappear because he now exists before the divergent point.
And the timeline from which Ashi was born no longer exists.

Tldr: Time travel is always confusing.

Ah wait, Courage did get a proper ending. The last episode was a flashback about how he ended up with Muriel and Eustace. Shit was depressing as all hell.

Wait, that was Courage's final episode? I had seen it, but didn't realize it was the finale. Jesus, that's depressing.

RRockman

Banned
Depending on your standard of "old" Cartoon Network, Codename: Kids Next Door had a proper ending.

As did Ed, Edd, n Eddy

Yeah, I saw those and they were great. the only CN other show I can think of that had continuity that didn't end properly was Symbiotic Titan, Megas had that cool event but I think it ended with "and the adventure continues" type ending which aren't that great in my option. I guess if those could get real endings through a movie rather than a series it would be great.

zeemumu

Technically it was supposed to end with that episode where Eustace and Muriel get turned into puppets and Courage acts out their daily lives for them.

I forgot, Teen Titans kinda got a proper ending as well. The final episode serves as a sort of epilogue

Ōkami

The episode really shows the pacing issues during the later half of the season, the finale had to move fast as hell while the episodes leading up to it did it more slowly.

I'm not unhappy about the ending, honestly the only problem I have is that Jack should've killed Aku in the future and in the past that way he gets closure with all the characters getting the ending on the series in the future, with all the characters there and then in the past.

Obviously the speed of the episode made this impossible, the finale should've been a 2 parter so everything could've had enough time to be done properly.

Not a bad episode but the series ends on a dissapointing note, not because of how the story concludes, but because the way it was handled.

LordCanti

I would have preferred they stay in the future and deal with the reality that he's never going back to the past, but I do appreciate them making good on the themesong after all these years. The final episode felt a bit rushed but the final shot of Jack was fantastic.

Crap Baskets....My heart could only take one TTGL ending

As soon as the wedding started I knew I was getting drilled through the heavens. It hurt a lot more the first time around since there was more of a history with
Nia
but seeing it coming didn't make it feel any better.

Technically it was supposed to end with that episode where Eustace and Muriel get turned into puppets and Courage acts out their daily lives for them.

I forgot, Teen Titans kinda got a proper ending as well. The final episode serves as a sort of epilogue
That was the Trigon episodes right?

Acrylic7

Guess this didn't matter in the end.

4iC9gH0.jpg

Meh ending.

Was waiting on this to show up. Ending was just not right at all. this feels like an alternate universe ending or something.

jwk94

Wait, that was Courage's final episode? I had seen it, but didn't realize it was the finale. Jesus, that's depressing.
Yep! Par for the course for Courage.

It's a great episode, but god was it too depressing for me. It's like they took the Squid mom episode and figured out a way to one-up themselves.

I was not aware of that Courage bit.

The last Teen Titans ending is somber as fuck. Its message was basically "being a superhero is a neverending Sisyphean grind, and it's better to leave that lifestyle completely."

zeemumu

Nah, it was one after the whole Titans Together deal where it was every villain in the series (excluding Trigon because that just wouldn't be fair) vs every hero in the series. There's an episode following that called Things Change where they return to their city and you get a little thing about what happened to Terra.

jwk94

Nah, that was the season before. The last season was Beast Boy's where we learn about his previous team and the Doom Patrol. It ended with Beast Boy finding Terra alive but her memory wiped and powers suppressed. She's living her own life at school now, but BB can't come to terms with that. He tries over and over to get her to remember, but she doesn't. It ended with him coming to terms with the fact that sometimes you just have to move on...and unbeknownst to him, Terra moves the ice in her drink, hinting that either she's starting to remember or her powers are returning.

vypek

It had a whole tv movie for the end and it was fucking great.

There's the big brother episode that no one managed to catch on air.

Yep

Eddy: We did it, Double D! Everyone loves us! We're finally in, baby!
Edd: And it only took 130 episodes, 4 specials and a movie, Eddy!

This sounds awesome. I have to try and find and watch this

Nah, that was the season before. The last season was Beast Boy's where we learn about his previous team and the Doom Patrol. It ended with Beast Boy finding Terra alive but her memory wiped and powers suppressed. She's living her own life at school now, but BB can't come to terms with that. He tries over and over to get her to remember, but she doesn't. It ended with him coming to terms with the fact that sometimes you just have to move on...and unbeknownst to him, Terra moves the ice in her drink, hinting that either she's starting to remember or her powers are returning.

I never understood WHY she was alive. Was that explained or was it just something that was supposed to be talked about in the future.

Nah, it was one after the whole Titans Together deal where it was every villain in the series (excluding Trigon because that just wouldn't be fair) vs every hero in the series. There's an episode following that called Things Change where they return to their city and you get a little thing about what happened to Terra.

I don't think I've seen this. I've definitely seen the Doom Patrol one, but the not the Terra and Ice? But her power was to control earth.

Ed, Edd, n Eddy lasted a long time for a Cartoon Network show. Not many cartoons on kids networks go past the usual 65 episode, besides EEE the only ones I can think of where on Nick. Rugrats, Hey Arnold, SpongeBob, and Fairly Odd Parents.

Steejee

I would have liked to seen this as an hourlong episode, and might have preferred it take a different route and stick in the future, but I'd be lying if I said this ending didn't hit me hard. Thank you CN and Genndy for giving us an ending. Even with the quick pace the epilogue ish parts worked because they said everything that needed to be said.

On ending discussion, there *are* a few parts to the ending that completely explain to why Jack's choice fit perfectly:

1. Because of Aku's black fragment rain, almost *everyone* in that battle is dead, save some of the daughters and the 300. To defeat Aku in that moment may have meant losing all those people forever and leaving millions in the past to suffer.
2. Jack and Ashi still might not have been able to beat Aku in the future. He's incredibly strong at that moment and could overwhelm them with numbers, or just run away if he thinks he's in trouble. Ashi took Jack back to Aku's weakest moment, when victory was assured rather than just being a big maybe.
3. When Ashi realizes she had Aku's power, there was no hesitation to take the path they knew would lead to his defeat. Ashi may have known, even then, that going to the past would eventually kill her, but it had to be done, and was her final gift to Jack for saving her.

The time travel part of defeating Aku in the past vs the future does screw with stuff, but in a show as surreal as SJ you sorta just need to live with that I think.

PixelatedBookake

I didn't really like the ending. It felt very rushed and made me think the whole purpose of Ashi was to be a way for Jack to get back to the past after the time portals were destroyed. Jack tricking Aku into opening up another time portal would have been more interesting. Ashi is just a lame character to me and the season, as it is now, would have been better if she wasn't in it. She dragged the season down to and, despite enjoying the season, left me with much to be desired.

Harpoon

But Jack not being wiped from existence implies that it is the case.

In conclusion: ending sucked.

Jack's existence doesn't depend on Aku being around.

And I know someone's going to respond with "but then how does he get back to the past in the first place?", but come on now. This has sure as hell never been the type of show to worry about that kind of stuff.

Zolo

And I know someone's going to respond with "but then how does he get back to the past in the first place?", but come on now. This has sure as hell never been the type of show to worry about that kind of stuff.

That's easy. All his experience and memories eventually disappear as a result as well. That's why he smiles at the end. His memory of Ashii disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom