• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown RPG has finally been translated!

7113titlescreen.png

Thought this might be of some interest to the retro GAFers. One of the few (only?) RPGs on the Neo Geo, Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, has finally been translated to English by "MoriyaMug." It is a complete translation with some notable QoL improvements and new graphics in English.

This translation has been a long-time in the making, with the dude apparently working on it for years. Apparently, we can thank VGEsoterica for making a video that inspired MoriyaMug to finish it.

I've been waiting for this one for oh, 25 years after seeing it in the pages of GameFan magazine. Versions were also released in Japan for the Sega Saturn and PlayStation but those remain untranslated for now.

You can find the patch and more info over at Romhacking.net.

EDIT: some initial screens...looks amazing running it through FB Neo and using Mega Bezel:

SotPQ1S.jpg

PqeUP3g.jpg

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
7113titlescreen.png

Thought this might be of some interest to the retro GAFers. One of the few (only?) RPGs on the Neo Geo, Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits Bushidō Retsuden, has finally been translated to English by "MoriyaMug." It is a complete translation with some notable QoL improvements and new graphics in English.

This translation has been a long-time in the making, with the dude apparently working on it for years. Apparently, we can thank VGEsoterica for making a video that inspired MoriyaMug to finish it.

I've been waiting for this one for oh, 25 years after seeing it in the pages of GameFan magazine. Versions were also released in Japan for the Sega Saturn and PlayStation but those remain untranslated for now.

You can find the patch and more info over at Romhacking.net.
Awesome...

Best waifu of the saga is Nakoruru

MrA

Banned
Why never was launched to América?
Mid 97 release in Japan, and it didn't exactly light the world on fire in Japan, Saturn and Neo Geo cd were both dead in the US shortly thereafter, and Sony wasn't exactly 2d friendly at the time.
Rpgs being translated was a rarity to begin with, add a mediocre performance in Japan I no way anyone thought it was worth the effort.

Mahnmut

only the kind of ugly saturn and playstation ports,
I’ve read (back in the day in a magazine) that Saturn and PlayStation versions proposed different stories, like each version had its own. Always wondered if that was true.

Needlecrash

Thank FUCK this got a translation! A shame this never came to the West of other countries minus Japan. Gotta give this a whirl sometime.

I'm doing my playthrough now as Haohmaru. It's a pretty simple RPG mechanically (which I tend to prefer). The sprite artwork is incredible and each location is just beautiful to wander around...

...though wandering around is incredibly frustrating because the enemy encounter rate FREAKING SUCKS. It's just constant. I wish there was a cheat to lower it. The patch creator notes that there's an item that lowers the encounter rate but I don't think I've encountered it yet.

Top Bottom