• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saturday Night Live reaches highest ratings in over 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is surprising considering it is a failing show with a terrible, mean-spirited cast.

Variety said:
Political turmoil has been very, very good to “Saturday Night Live.”

The NBC late-night institution has been on a ratings roll since President Trump’s upset victory in the Nov. 8 presidential election. Saturday’s edition delivered a 2.5 rating in adults 18-49 in Nielsen’s 56 overnight metered markets, which cover 70% of U.S. TV households.

That was strong enough to make “SNL” the second highest-rated program of the week in the key demo, behind only CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory,” which scored a 3.3 in the metered markets on Thursday. “SNL’s” ratings will likely rise by double digits when delayed viewing is factored-in.

Overall, “SNL” viewership for the season to date is up 19% in adults 18-49 (3.5 vs. 2.9 rating) and up 22% in total viewers (10.6 million vs. 8.7 million) over the comparable period in the 2015-16 season. This marks the show’s strongest ratings performance in 22 years, since the 1994-95 season, according to NBC.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I think America needs SNL to be funny more than ever, so people are watching but the truth is that it's been pretty bad. Not quite as bad as during the Jost years at least.

How did they normalize Trump? Baldwin was playing him as a bumbling idiot way over her his, pretty consistently through the year.

They let him host during his election campaign.

Nothing they do will ever reverse their efforts to normalize Donald Trump last year.

If you were waiting for a decades long sketch comedy show to stop donald trump and are blaming them for normalizing him idk what you expected.

Like can i blame sesame street too for not having a political episode damning him

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I feel like satire is too clever and sharp a tool for this age. Outright parody and mockery seems to fit better. SNL is doing a bang up job and it's having an effect.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Deserved. Alec is hitting it out the park. That Spicer skit was hilarious.

How did they normalize Trump? Baldwin was playing him as a bumbling idiot way over her his, pretty consistently through the year.

Either he is complaining because they had him on as a host or NBC overall for Jimmy Fallon's interview with Trump or their news in general.

Norm Macdonald was being petty about this last night. Said SNL was making money off a guy whose hands they would not even shake at the end of the show Trump hosted

It fucking kills me that Norm MacDonald is a fucking apologists for someone he claims isn't a dark president.

adj_noun

Saturday Night Live reaches highest ratings in over 20 years

atNG05F.jpg

My (politically active) PARENTS watched it for gods sake. I don't think my mom had ever watched snl before, but she watched it saturday.

Good. Keep shitting on Trump please and make Rosie Bannon. It'll drive Trump even crazier and generate even higher ratings.

Norm Macdonald was being petty about this last night. Said SNL was making money off a guy whose hands they would not even shake at the end of the show Trump hosted

It fucking kills me that Norm MacDonald is a fucking apologists for someone he claims isn't a dark president.

Yeah I've always loved Norm and known he's a conservative but his Trump shit has pushed me away. Can't support him anymore. :-\

Silexx

I feel like satire is too clever and sharp a tool for this age. Outright parody and mockery seems to fit better. SNL is doing a bang up job and it's having an effect.

It's funny, but I having these exact thoughts during my commute this morning. Only thing I would add to that is that I think part of the reason SNL has been so effective (relatively speaking) is that they do impersonations and that seems to be what sticks in people's minds, Trump included.

Really sucks as I am (was?) a huge fan of his.

Honestly, this is the reason we're stuck with Trump: he's a TV ratings monster and makes mucho-$$$ for advertisers and networks. Why wouldn't you give him, and anything related to him, screentime?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

Norm has some very shitty views that he mostly tries to hide.

LiK

SNL's political stuff has always been better than 90% of the trash they do. Glad they have plenty of ammo now.

I wonder what the ratings are for the first 15 minutes vs. the rest of the show?

Their cold-opens are the only things I watch before I pass out, unless they have an awesome guest.

Sephzilla

If Colbert and Stewart didn't leave Comedy Central, imagine how through the roof their ratings would be right now too

Silexx

If Colbert and Stewart didn't leave Comedy Central, imagine how through the roof their ratings would be right now too

This is assuming they would be performing at the level they were during the Bush era. Stewart was definitely feeling dragged down by the end of his tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom