• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXistor

Goddammit, it was one of the handful of Xbox One games I actually wanted to play. My One is basically a brick at this point, only bigger.

Tecnniqe

Banned
when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

So PG took members away and it fell behind and got cancelled due to it?

I'm sure it will be good, but if history is anything to go by gamers will buy the next shallow open world game instead. Platinum has a history of mechanically rich games, the industry would be poorer without them. I hope they can survive.
I mean, partly true but it's also true that a lot of Platinum Games are garbage.

Ray Down

Banned
I said earlier in the thread, but maybe it was the shift to Unreal Engine 4 that was key in development issues. If that transfer went smoothly you'd expect they'd be using UE4 for Nier: Automata too, but they aren't.

But I thought UE4 was suppose to save Japan console developers /s

Hektor

Take the dragon tech and apply it to Drakengard 4.

I hope

My-man-gif.gif

SOR5

Great so it's entered Phantom Dust cancelled-but-we-dont-want-to-say status

Yeah piss off with this one, I don't care who's to blame I don't care about the politics, I'm annoyed

ironcreed

Banned
Eurogamer confirms. Cancelled.

Development of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has ceased after more than four years.

Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016.

This tallies with a just-published Kotaku report which states the game is currently in trouble, and possibly cancelled.

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded.

tumblr_msonxfT6gO1qbm8k3o1_500.gif

MCD

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

Japanese developers couldn't handle American AAA insane workload and crunch time.

Delay 10 years like FF15 and Last Guardian or Cancel? Cancel this shit. Satya the man in the cloud ain't got time for Spencer's shit.

Not seeing the problem.

Not all games deserved to be finished.

I'm a Platinum fan, so I was optimistic about Scalebound, but I've seen the same videos as everybody else. The game just never looked like a Platinum game.

Is not a matter of deserving to be released or not, is a clear shift in the strategy of the company, compared to when they announced all these games years ago.

And well, the whole point of the game was to do something different to the usual PG stuff, set a new standard on the company. We will never known if Kamiya would have accomplished it or not.

takoyaki

FFS, I've been excited about this Platinum x MS game since it was leaked as Project Nagano.

But tbh, the actual game never looked very appealing to me.

As someone who's favorite game developer is Hideki Kamiya, this game never looked to his level of quality. A shame, but a new project might lead to something far better.

Also, I have to leave this classic here

t4uMY.jpg

gzdQi.png

14F2Q.png

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
well we have this:

no idea what kind of insight Sneakers has though.

As much as I trust some insiders on GAF, this still doesn't help much.

Without rationale? Microsoft has a giant graveyard of amazing studios they've completely and utterly fucked over throughout the years. There are few companies I trust less and I fully expect that they've shit the bed again.

Remember this is a publisher so toxic that Bungie took all their royalty money from the immensely successful Halo series and *bought themselves* to get the fuck away from Microsoft. When has that ever happened? This is just 1 example of many.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm well aware of MS history, just wondered if there were some glaringly obvious reasons as to why they are the ones at fault here and not the developers. Seems not as of now.

Kind of funny that Spencer the saviour managed to have a worse track record regarding Games compared to the much hated Mattrick.

Yep if anything games that started under Mattrick and released under Spencer have been the about the only diverse titles he's put out. The rest of their exclusive lineup under spencer going forward looks grim in comparison.

Elios83

This reminds me a bit of what happened many years ago with True Fantasy, the game they were making with Level 5.
Microsoft and japanese developers don't seem capable of having a positive relationship....
Also I remember that Kamiya slipped on Twitter that things were not going well internally as far as Gamescom 2015.
If I had to guess I'd say that Microsoft asked them to change key aspects of the game too much to try to make the game more appealing for the market but things didn't go well.
Still if Platinum delivered great games with different publishers the fact they couldn't with Microsoft is a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom