• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

Judging by your posts history, i'm not surprised you say that.

It's ok, you don't like PlayStation but saying KI, which is a game i love and own, is better than anything on PS4 should get you banned. Stop spreading that fanboy nonsense here.

What in the ever loving fuck? Listen to your own advice.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
its official
http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-exclusive-scalebound-has-been-canceled
C1wYCVCXEAEgeRT.jpg:large

Like. Sure. Whatever you say MS.

Good fucking job. You make one quick sentence about this, and then proceed to plug the rest of your shit (one of which is also in questionable condition). And that will likely be the last we ever hear from them on this matter.

4 years of work --> A single apologetic sentence.

BigPete

Maybe Scorpio can be the next Nintendo home console.

Yeah at this point my xb1s is virtually just a 4k bluray player.

I don't think I'm going to even renew gold when it expires this month. Have had it for years.

Such a shame. The OneS is such a beautiful machine. It seemed like they were finally starting to regain some ground on Sony when it was announced and the PS4 Pro underwhelmed... Sony is pretty much the undisputed champ of this generation at this point. Sure Switch is coming, but I don't even know if you could classify that as a competitor. (I know Nintendo is trying to frame it as such, but it seems much more its own thing.)

J-Skee

You mean like Rime? Or Stig's Santa Monica project? Or the Studio San Diego game that was canned like 3 months ago? This is a part of the business. You guys are just trying to create your own narratives around "Good guy" and "bad guy" companies and executives and it's dumb.

Someone has to leak this eventually, right? I'd like to see just how ambitious it was & where it went wrong.

I'm so much happier now that I'm dead. Technically missing. Soon to be presumed dead. Gone.

And this lazy oblivious and incompetent "Microsoft" company will go to prison for my murder. They took my pride and my dignity and my hope and my money. They took and took from me until I no longer existed. That's murder. Let the punishment fit the crime. To fake a convincing release date for Scale-fucking-bound you have to have discipline. You befriend a local foold, Platinum Games. Harvest the details of his hundrum life and cram him with stories about how development will be "doing fine", how the the game will soon be playable from start to finish. Secretly create some money troubles: forced online co-op, micotransactions, western bullshit. With the help of the unwitting, you bump up your life insurance. Purchase the Xbox One. With the Elite Controller. Generic. Overpriced. Pay cash. You need to package yourself so that people will truly mourn your loss. And I don't know how much you know about Japan, but they truly believe in honor, it's an important part of their culture... You know what's hard? Faking your excitement for this game. First, you pretend to follow all the dishearting news about this trainwerk of a game. Watch every damn E3 showing. From the first CGi vaporware trailer. Wake up at fucking 3.a.m, June 2016 just to see how this game has been resorted to a How To Train a Flying Potato simulator. Then you steal a Recore copy. And you pretend to like it. Voila! The game is nothing like you wanted. You wasted 60 dollars. Happy 3th Anniversary of this game's announcement. But then you go on NeoGAF, and post "wow I loved the E3 demo, MS is doing a great job :)" while you dry off the tears running down your face. Wait for the clueless director to announce the release date. Off he goes... and the clock is ticking. 20 weeks away from the release day and they haven't even shown final console footage yet. You feel fisically ill. A lot. A lot. A lot. You start to post about how the game is likely being saved for Scorpio How the game still retains that Hideki Kamiya-sama magic, even though you know deep in yourself that's one hell of a lie. June. E3 starts and they fucking bring a broken demo on stage. "Well, Platinum has never made a bad game, so there's no reason not to trust them". I repeat to myself. But everyone else playing the demo booths agrees that it is just bad. And because you're you, you don't stop there. You go back. To the day this fucking game was announced. Start with the fairy-tale days. The biggest Xbox One exclusive. A system seller title. From the creator of Resident Evil 2 and Bayonetta. Those are true. After that, you invent. "Scalebound was supposed to relive the Xbox brand" "X1 would likely outsell PS4 when this game gets released... at least in the US" The spending, the abuse, the fear, the threat of violence... burn it, just the right amount. Make sure the fans will find it. Finally, honor tradition with a very special treasure hunt. And if I get everything right, the world will hate Microsoft for killing his beautiful, legacy franchise. And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Playstation 4 + NieR: Automata bundle. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at her butt? Have your really looked at her butt?" In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "NierR is the true savior of Platinum Games". And that's when the people will know, Microsoft dumped Scalebound like garbage, and it floated past all the other abused, unwanted, inconvenient titles like Phantom Dust and Fable: Legends. The Scalebound fans will be gone, but then... we never really existed. We loved a game we pretended to like.

"An Xbox One exclusive".

Gamers always use that, don't they? As their defining compliment: "Quantum Break is a true Xbox exclusive". A true Xbox One exclusive is hot. A true Xbox One exclusive is game. A true Xbox One exclusive is fun. A true Xbox One exclusive never makes its fans angry. It only smiles in a chagrined, loving manner. The Platinum Game fans like what they like, so evidently they're vinyl hipsters who loves fetish Manga. If they like girls gone wild, Claire Redfield was a good example of empowering woman design. Bayonetta is sexist trash.. When I met Phil Spencer I knew he wanted "true Xbox Exclusive experience". And for him, I'll admit: Scalebound truly was it. He created an empty development funded by vapor and nothingness. Microsoft rewrote the concept to fit those Sony esclusive games everyone loves. They put headphones into the game because we all love headphones. They showed the game, semi-regularly. I lived in the moment. The same dragon portion for three years. I was fuckinging game. I can't say I didn't enjoy some of it. Microsoft teased out in me things I didn't know existed. A lightness, a humor, an ease. But I made them smarter. Sharper. I inspired them to rise to my level. I forged the company of my dreams. We were happy pretending to be other people. We were the happiest couple we knew. And what's the point of being together if you're not the happiest? But Platinum got lazy and Microsoft stubborn. They delayed the game. Microsoft actually expected me to love support their Xbox console unconditionally. And before finishing with Platinum, they delayed the game another time. From Holiday 2016, to simply "2017". We knew it was coming. We knew that what the press sneaks were telling us, was true.

You think I'd let Microsoft destroy me and end up happier than ever?

No fucking way.

They don't get to win. I don't know how much the rest of you know about social culture (I'm an expert), but grown-ups work for things. Grown-ups pay.

Grown-ups suffer consequences.

nKLmfN7.gif

Kinyou

I have to say, Scalebound didn't look all that great in the presentations. it's mostly the people behind it that kept me interested, but maybe it was really just not shaping up to be a good game.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Honestly, I don't agree with the Microsoft in trouble posts. Microsoft will always have something else in the wings. I just personally wish they would go to to Hironobu Sakaguchi and Mistwalker now.

If they ended up canning Scalebound for something instead from Sakaguchi and Mistwalker, I would consider that an upgrade. Here's to hoping for best.

Haha are you for real?

Xbox needs games that play to their main audiences. Them moneyhatting a Mistwalker RPG would be a fart in the wind seeing as the JRPG audience has never been on Xbox.

They tried this in the 360 era and it bit them in the ass. They sure as hell aren't going to try again. It's a losing strategy.

It's a big blow to the Xbox line up. Honestly there's a serious lack of single player story driven games. Well, exclusive ones at least. Everything is literally MP focused. Forza 7, State of Decay, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown...(and I've heard Crackdown isn't going too hot either, though nothing as bad as this).

Unless they have a bunch of first party studios secretly tucked away somewhere (which they don't that I know of), I genuinely struggle to think of what surprises they could have at E3 *as of right now*. Halo 6 is to be expected, and I don't see publishers playing ball much anymore with 3rd party exclusives unless Microsoft gives the Xbox division a huge budget to throw cash around, which I highly doubt. Their major first party IP are on a decline with Halo doing less than before and Gears 4 not selling that well at all relatively speaking (not good enough to sustain a huge studio with that many workers and budget).

What's happening now is the exact opposite of what Xbox fans seemed to want out of a Phil spencer leadership.

I remember when he became head of Xbox and everyone was saying how there'll be tons of new games, but they're still coasting on announcements from 2013-2014 and in that time, games have been cancelled, multiple studios closed including Lionhead...

As a big Xbox fan since day one, I'm not very hopeful for the future. Scorpio won't do anything without software to push it heavily.
Man, Phil Spencer on the next Giantbomb E3 podcast should be...interesting.

jbug617

Banned
Here it is
After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for "Scalebound." We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including "Halo Wars 2," "Crackdown 3," "State of Decay 2," "Sea of Thieves" and other great experiences. For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit: https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/05/xbox-closes-milestone-year-in-2016/.

Considering how rough the E3 demo looked, that wouldn't be too surprising if it is canned. And considering the type of games Platinum makes compared to the Xbone's demographics, it kinda had a rough road ahead in terms of commercial success.

All said, 'tis a shame if it does end up being true. And more fuel to the fire on what exactly is going on with MS. This would be, what, the third / fourth game they promoted that was a planned Xbox exclusive that ended up being vaporware? (Phantom Dust remake, Fable Legends, etc.)

EDIT:

RG0BS1U.gif

And just right when I posted too! lol

HotHamBoy

I think this is a pretty good summary of the current situation.

Fortunately they seem to be doing okay being carried by third party multiplats, forza, halo and gears. I think a lot of people who buy an XB1 over a PS4 just prefer the ecosystem or have friends who bought one.

singhr1

Phantom Dust
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2

They have five exclusives coming up in 2017 at this moment, FIVE.
I'm not counting small downloadable titles here, but still, you get the point.
I had really hoped for more since the phil spencer era started.

Lol phantom dust is a re-release with online multiplayer. It was a niche game then, it will be a niche game now.

Audioboxer

"After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for "Scalebound." We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including "Halo Wars 2," "Crackdown 3," "State of Decay 2," "Sea of Thieves" and other great experiences. For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit: https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/05/xbox-closes-milestone-year-in-2016/."

"Microsoft said that they have great respect for Platinum Games and that Scalebound's cancellation came down to "business decisions."

Damn, that doesn't sound good for development at all. As my earlier post said I felt this looked rough as fuck at E3, but to just throw your hands up and walk away now, eeek. I mean okay Sony done it with Rime, but Rime isn't Scalebound in so far as one is more of an "indie" game.

The game must have been a car wreck or something else really bad went wrong.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm so much happier now that I'm dead. Technically missing. Soon to be presumed dead. Gone.

And this lazy oblivious and incompetent "Microsoft" company will go to prison for my murder. They took my pride and my dignity and my hope and my money. They took and took from me until I no longer existed. That's murder. Let the punishment fit the crime. To fake a convincing release date for Scale-fucking-bound you have to have discipline. You befriend a local foold, Platinum Games. Harvest the details of his hundrum life and cram him with stories about how development will be "doing fine", how the the game will soon be playable from start to finish. Secretly create some money troubles: forced online co-op, micotransactions, western bullshit. With the help of the unwitting, you bump up your life insurance. Purchase the Xbox One. With the Elite Controller. Generic. Overpriced. Pay cash. You need to package yourself so that people will truly mourn your loss. And I don't know how much you know about Japan, but they truly believe in honor, it's an important part of their culture... You know what's hard? Faking your excitement for this game. First, you pretend to follow all the dishearting news about this trainwerk of a game. Watch every damn E3 showing. From the first CGi vaporware trailer. Wake up at fucking 3.a.m, June 2016 just to see how this game has been resorted to a How To Train a Flying Potato simulator. Then you steal a Recore copy. And you pretend to like it. Voila! The game is nothing like you wanted. You wasted 60 dollars. Happy 3th Anniversary of this game's announcement. But then you go on NeoGAF, and post "wow I loved the E3 demo, MS is doing a great job :)" while you dry off the tears running down your face. Wait for the clueless director to announce the release date. Off he goes... and the clock is ticking. 20 weeks away from the release day and they haven't even shown final console footage yet. You feel fisically ill. A lot. A lot. A lot. You start to post about how the game is likely being saved for Scorpio How the game still retains that Hideki Kamiya-sama magic, even though you know deep in yourself that's one hell of a lie. June. E3 starts and they fucking bring a broken demo on stage. "Well, Platinum has never made a bad game, so there's no reason not to trust them". I repeat to myself. But everyone else playing the demo booths agrees that it is just bad. And because you're you, you don't stop there. You go back. To the day this fucking game was announced. Start with the fairy-tale days. The biggest Xbox One exclusive. A system seller title. From the creator of Resident Evil 2 and Bayonetta. Those are true. After that, you invent. "Scalebound was supposed to relive the Xbox brand" "X1 would likely outsell PS4 when this game gets released... at least in the US" The spending, the abuse, the fear, the threat of violence... burn it, just the right amount. Make sure the fans will find it. Finally, honor tradition with a very special treasure hunt. And if I get everything right, the world will hate Microsoft for killing his beautiful, legacy franchise. And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Playstation 4 + NieR: Automata bundle. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at her butt? Have your really looked at her butt?" In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "NierR is the true savior of Platinum Games". And that's when the people will know, Microsoft dumped Scalebound like garbage, and it floated past all the other abused, unwanted, inconvenient titles like Phantom Dust and Fable: Legends. The Scalebound fans will be gone, but then... we never really existed. We loved a game we pretended to like.

"An Xbox One exclusive".

Gamers always use that, don't they? As their defining compliment: "Quantum Break is a true Xbox exclusive". A true Xbox One exclusive is hot. A true Xbox One exclusive is game. A true Xbox One exclusive is fun. A true Xbox One exclusive never makes its fans angry. It only smiles in a chagrined, loving manner. The Platinum Game fans like what they like, so evidently they're vinyl hipsters who loves fetish Manga. If they like girls gone wild, Claire Redfield was a good example of empowering woman design. Bayonetta is sexist trash.. When I met Phil Spencer I knew he wanted "true Xbox Exclusive experience". And for him, I'll admit: Scalebound truly was it. He created an empty development funded by vapor and nothingness. Microsoft rewrote the concept to fit those Sony esclusive games everyone loves. They put headphones into the game because we all love headphones. They showed the game, semi-regularly. I lived in the moment. The same dragon portion for three years. I was fuckinging game. I can't say I didn't enjoy some of it. Microsoft teased out in me things I didn't know existed. A lightness, a humor, an ease. But I made them smarter. Sharper. I inspired them to rise to my level. I forged the company of my dreams. We were happy pretending to be other people. We were the happiest couple we knew. And what's the point of being together if you're not the happiest? But Platinum got lazy and Microsoft stubborn. They delayed the game. Microsoft actually expected me to love support their Xbox console unconditionally. And before finishing with Platinum, they delayed the game another time. From Holiday 2016, to simply "2017". We knew it was coming. We knew that what the press sneaks were telling us, was true.

You think I'd let Microsoft destroy me and end up happier than ever?

No fucking way.

They don't get to win. I don't know how much the rest of you know about social culture (I'm an expert), but grown-ups work for things. Grown-ups pay.

Grown-ups suffer consequences.

Stoic-Ben-Affleck-Most-Time.gif

And there it is. I'll never buy a console for an unreleased game again. The allure of Ori and the Blind Forest was strong, but Scalebound was the main reason I bit the bullet. Not happening again.

BaasRed

Banned
If this proves true, I hope Platinum can find a contract/project for their employees. Things must have gone very bad to get to this point in development and still cancel the game.

That sounds really bad for Platinum. They're going to need to find work asap now that they have a larger team since Scalebound and nothing to work on now.

Good luck to the Crackdown 3 team.

You think Halo would be a cheap IP currently? And I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind putting out Forza or Gears game either for the right price. Gears even being down is still a multiple million selling franchise. Gears 4 will sell 3+ million more than likely
Honestly some of the stuff I read here I can't even tell if they are serious or not.
I think he meant in terms of brand power, but even then I'm not sure I agree. Even if 343i hasn't done the best job at making Halo go back to H3-levels of popularity, the brand still sells/turns heads.

Jesus h christ microsoft, get your shit together. There won't be a you left anymore. You fucked up at the start of the gen, you're doing the same thing now. The hell are you doing anymore?

Jerm411

no way is Crackdown coming this year.

It seems like a bunch of their exclusives are just toiling away...Cuphead, C3, etc. Where on earth is Below? There hasn't been one single peep about Ion to my knowledge since Dean announced it at E3.

I'm just glad we got W101 and Bayo. That's all I wanted from Platinum.

i cant believe that it was just standard bullshit AAAA video game budgets that got to them, but at the same time, that seems to be all that ever happens to any freelancers anymore.

We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including "Halo Wars 2," "Crackdown 3," "State of Decay 2," "Sea of Thieves" and other great experiences.

top keks here

i'll be amazed if Crackdown 3 comes out, that's been radio silent for just as long if not longer than scalebound

Aurongel

Shocking but also not shocking. It's a shame to see this die on the vine but it sounds like Platinum has huge internal issues currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom