• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scare Tactics is an evil, evil show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
It pisses me right fucking off.

This girl is babysitting a little kid and they trick her into thinking he was kidnapped or something worse. Immediately after, the mom comes home. The girl doesn't know what's going on and she's shaking and crying and freaking out and then, when they decide to fill her in, "Are you scared?" -- ....ENTERTAINMENT! YEAH!

What the fuck happened to the innocent ol' days of Candid Camera? I hope one of these victims finds a way to sue the show some day.

One of the best ones is when a girl is hired as a security gaurd and she's watching a cam inside her bosses office and then all of a sudden a guy walks into her bosses office and opens fire on him and then comes running out at her with the gun. The expression on her face is hilarious.

Damn, I haven't watched Scare Tactics in a while. My favorite was when they picked up a "hitchhiker" who acts crazy as hell, and then demands the driver (who was in on the joke) to stop the car so he can take a leak. He takes the keys with him while he's pissing, and while he's gone, the passengers look inside the bag he was carrying, and find a severed head.

They get quiet as the hitchhiker gets back in, who then gets suspicious of the people in the car, and violently stabs the driver in the chest. The guy sitting behind him, who the joke was on, starts wildly punching the serial killer in the face, and then is told that its just a joke.

Pattergen

ZootedGranny said:
The guy sitting behind him, who the joke was on, starts wildly punching the serial killer in the face, and then is told that its just a joke.

laugh.gif

My favorites always have to do with "Camp Counselor" jobs. They've had two that I can remember. My favorite one was when two girls were being interviewed for a camp job and these two hick guys who live nearby start harassing them because they don't like the camp. Later when the girls are being shown some games that they'll be playing with the kids involving blindfolds, the hicks "murder" everyone except for the mark when she's still blindfolded. She's on the verge of tears when she sees her friend on the ground, who was in on the joke.

That one rocked.

Jak140 said:
That show is so fucking sadistic. I can't see how anyone could find it funny in the least bit.

It's not like the people having the trick done on them don't enjoy it, they're always happy to be on TV after finding out. It's just not so much fun when they're being scared.

There are some really good scares on the show though. Like the one where this woman calls up a company to find out whats in her chimney. One of the guys goes outside to lower a camera down the fireplace (the other guy has a reciever in his hand to see what the camera is seeing) as it gets lower he starts to notice a bunch of bugs crawling around once it's although down he notices a dismembered body and he starts to freak out and runs out the house. He goes out and gets the guy and they come back in and then the womans husband walks in and starts to freak out on them scaring the one guy to tears.

There's another where a guy goes to a strippers house to pick her up, but one of the people she owes money too is there too. She sends the one guy to her bedroom to get her purse and while he's in there he hears the girl scream, he runs back into the room and the girl is laying on the floor bleeding while the other guy is standing over him. He tells the driver to help him take care of the body and just as he's about to pick her up the girl pops up and stabs the one guy with a fake pair of scissors and starts coming at the driver and makes him curl up into a ball on the couch crying.

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not like the people having the trick done on them don't enjoy it, they're always happy to be on TV after finding out. It's just not so much fun when they're being scared.
Always? Fuck. that. The ones I've seen have this look of anger and confusion. They manage to put on a brave face, but it's so obvious they're still raging inside. They just don't want people thinking less of them. Everyone behind the show knows that no one will get explicitly upset for fear of looking like a poor sport on national television, so they can get away with it.

The girl that I was talking about starting crying really hard and went to embrace the little kid, just grateful that he was ok. You're not just scaring an individual. You're making them think that a child they were responsible for had been seriously hurt. Manipulating people like that is just so terrible to me.

SolidSnakex said:

Or maybe they're putting on a brave face for the camera? I know i'd be kicking the crap out of someone if they tried that shit on me on national television.

I'm sure not all of them enjoy it, but even the ones I mentioned the cried weren't pissed afterwards. The one guy who witnessed the stabbing even asked if he could have some food afterwards. :p

"I know i'd be kicking the crap out of someone if they tried that shit on me on national television."

They can kick the crap out of their family and friends because all of the stunts are set up by them. They don't just do this stuff to random people.

SolidSnakex said:
I'm sure not all of them enjoy it, but even the ones I mentioned the cried weren't pissed afterwards. The one guy who witnessed the stabbing even asked if he could have some food afterwards. :p

"I know i'd be kicking the crap out of someone if they tried that shit on me on national television."

They can kick the crap out of their family and friends because all of the stunts are set up by them. They don't just do this stuff to random people.

On CAMERA they weren't pissed.

Jak140

SolidSnakex said:

There are some really good scares on the show though. Like the one where this woman calls up a company to find out whats in her chimney. One of the guys goes outside to lower a camera down the fireplace (the other guy has a reciever in his hand to see what the camera is seeing) as it gets lower he starts to notice a bunch of bugs crawling around once it's although down he notices a dismembered body and he starts to freak out and runs out the house. He goes out and gets the guy and they come back in and then the womans husband walks in and starts to freak out on them scaring the one guy to tears.

There's another where a guy goes to a strippers house to pick her up, but one of the people she owes money too is there too. She sends the one guy to her bedroom to get her purse and while he's in there he hears the girl scream, he runs back into the room and the girl is laying on the floor bleeding while the other guy is standing over him. He tells the driver to help him take care of the body and just as he's about to pick her up the girl pops up and stabs the one guy with a fake pair of scissors and starts coming at the driver and makes him curl up into a ball on the couch crying.

I don't get any pleasure from seeing someone brought to tears, it just makes me feel sick and left to wonder how the hell something like this got on the air.

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well, shit. Then I guess that makes it all ok!

Socreges

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's a reality show don't take it so seriously. Most of the "reality" is staged anyway.
What are you suggesting? My, that girl did 'excrutiating anxiety and intense grief' so expertly!

I'm suggesting just like alot of reality shows it's staged. I've seen several B Movie actors on the show before. I'm not saying some of them aren't completely real but some of them are just staged. Just like that "oh so cruel" Superstar USA show had alot of clearly staged stuff.

Socreges

Banned
Fine, but my point is that the one example that I'm using to stage my posts was very much real. If the ones you're citing were staged, this is only working against you now.

You don't have to justify why you watch the show. To each his own. I'll be here thinking this is perverse television and you can continue being entertained.

Jak140

SolidSnakex said:
It's a reality show don't take it so seriously. Most of the "reality" is staged anyway.

I just find it sick. And I don't just mean morally; it physically makes me feel ill because I can't stand seeing people in emotional distress. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach knowing that shit like this exists. It's like stumbling on some twisted picture or video on the internet because it gives me the impression that humanity has sunk lower than I thought. That's all. I mean if you think it's funny, I can't say you're wrong, but I personally think it's sadistic.

Belfast

What the hell are you people talking about? 95% of the situations are so bizarre and fake that you can't possibly get mad at the people doing it. Sure, whoever is in the situation gets scared, but probably only because they have no idea what to do in such weird set-ups most of the time.

Socreges

Banned
Those are some really weird arguments in their defence, though. I don't buy that the oddness of the situations gives any relief to those responsible. The intention is to scare, and for that to work, they have to do something within the realm of acceptance. And if you're going to suggest that people are simply scared because they don't know what to do:
..they picked up a "hitchhiker" who acts crazy as hell, and then demands the driver (who was in on the joke) to stop the car so he can take a leak. He takes the keys with him while he's pissing, and while he's gone, the passengers look inside the bag he was carrying, and find a severed head.

They get quiet as the hitchhiker gets back in, who then gets suspicious of the people in the car, and violently stabs the driver in the chest. The guy sitting behind him, who the joke was on, starts wildly punching the serial killer in the face, and then is told that its just a joke.
I think this guy had a pretty good idea. He wanted to save his friend's life, as well as his own. That just shows the severity.

You are clearly fans of the show. So you highlight the exceptions. While I'm far from being a fan and have in mind the ones that really aggravate. For me, though, that is enough to condemn the show altogether. Screw the exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom