• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scars Above - Exclusive Gameplay

GrayChild

Looks more like a vertical slice of something that's just about to enter full production rather than an almost finished product.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Scars Above is a challenging, immersive third-person shooter inspired by modern type action-adventure games. It takes the genre staples, such as the rewarding feeling of overcoming difficulty, and combines it with a compelling and intricate story, meticulous and lavish world design, and a living, breathing ecosystem to explore and endure. This is a game of mystery and discovery.

Something strange has entered Earth's orbit; an object alien and unknowable, made out of matter that seems not to obey the laws of physics - the Metahedron. As a part of a hastily gathered group of astronauts and scientists sent off to explore it, your fate takes a jarring turn as you awaken in another world - dazed, alone on an alien planet... but determined to stay alive. Our protagonist, Kate, is not a battle-hardened soldier or super-powered assassin - but a resourceful, capable, and strong-willed individual with the will to endure any hardship. She is, first and foremost, a scientist: someone that uses their mind as a weapon -and with this weapon, Kate is determined to survive. She represents the best in humanity: our ability to overcome fear with curiosity, pain with determination, and darkness with reason.

Matsuchezz

Looks like Gamepass material. Mmmmm how come she is not wearing any helmet. Does that planet has an atmosphere like the earth? in case she is human.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely interested in this game. Added 5+ games from Prime Matter (Embracer) that either sounded great via the description and just waiting to see gameplay or like Scars Above, saw gameplay that has me interested.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Scars Above is a challenging sci-fi third-person action-adventure shooter combining the rewarding feel of overcoming difficulty with a compelling and intricate story, set in a mysterious alien world to explore. Explore the creation behind the art of the upcoming action-adventure sci-fi title. Scars Above is releasing on February 28 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

VN1X

Banned
"Mom, I want Returnal!"
"We have Returnal at home, son"
Returnal at home:
What the fuck I actually posted this? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

To be fair this was before I played the demo and it has since made it to the top of my"most anticipated games" list. Really can't wait for this one and I hope they come out with a special edition of some kind so I can snap that up on day one.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Scars Above is a challenging sci-fi third-person action-adventure shooter combining the rewarding feel of overcoming difficulty with a compelling and intricate story, set in a mysterious alien world to explore. In Part 2 of The Making of Scars Above, the developers go into detail on how they brought Kate to life in the game. Scars Above is releasing on February 28 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

RafterXL

If this game is coming out in a week, why can't you purchase it digitally anywhere?

All the "discount Returnal " comments are kinda funny, considering it's actually a discount at $39. Also, what do we call it when "Returnal at home" ends up outselling Returnal?

Eiknarf

I
If this game is coming out in a week, why can't you purchase it digitally anywhere?

All the "discount Returnal " comments are kinda funny, considering it's actually a discount at $39. Also, what do we call it when "Returnal at home" ends up outselling Returnal?
this release is strange. Doesn’t have a profile for “coming soon” at OpenCritic.com… plus, half the places I see a coming-soon nod seems to only mention it coming to the last generation consoles.

Is it coming to PS5????

RafterXL

I

this release is strange. Doesn’t have a profile for “coming soon” at OpenCritic.com… plus, half the places I see a coming-soon nod seems to only mention it coming to the last generation consoles.

Is it coming to PS5????
Amazon has the PS5 physical for release on the 28th. The digital version doesn't even have a release date and you can't purchase it, so I have no clue what's going on with this launch.

GymWolf

I watched some footage and yeah, enemy design and combat in this one looks very meh, returnal is far away from this thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is as generic as games get.

✅ Character constantly muttering to themself to create immersion.
✅ Stranded on planet with toxic looking shit, while dressed in a tank top. I mean c’mon, it makes sense for Lara Croft - not this situation .
✅ Uninspired enemies
✅ Weak gunplay

Nothing about this looks good.

Returnal is frustrating though, right?
Got a PS5 lately and... Returnal is absolutely amazing, the buttery smooth controls, the art-direction, the music, the sound/audio, the balls to the wall action... everything just "clicked" for me and I hate rogue likes/lites, just give it a go if you have a PS5 (or PC).

Cheers

PS: scars above may play well but it looks absolutely generic, I don't know if I could play it just based on that fact, it looks friggin' soulless, basically, what SmokedMeat SmokedMeat already said.
Something that I'd play on Game pass if I were bored just to forget its existence upon finishing it.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Got a PS5 lately and... Returnal is absolutely amazing, the buttery smooth controls, the art-direction, the music, the sound/audio, the balls to the wall action... everything just "clicked" for me and I hate rogue likes/lites, just give it a go if you have a PS5 (or PC).

Cheers

PS: scars above may play well but it looks absolutely generic, I don't know if I could play it just based on that fact, it looks friggin' soulless, basically, what SmokedMeat SmokedMeat already said.
Something that I'd play on Game pass if I were bored just to forget its existence upon finishing it.
You convinced me to try Returnal one day. I’m just not looking forward to the long runs without saves

I read that the runs take long and the game recommends using rest-mode to take breaks

What’s “rest mode” mean?

You convinced me to try Returnal one day. I’m just not looking forward to the long runs without saves

I read that the runs take long and the game recommends using rest-mode to take breaks

What’s “rest mode” mean?

I mean, I also hate the "die, repeat all over again" thing but, for me personally, it ticks all the right boxes aesthetically wise that I can overlook that.

The "rest mode" is basically a checkpoint/save , when you activate it you can close the game safely and continue playing from that point when you start/boot up the game again.You do lose the checkpoint upon doing so though 😁

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Scars Above is a challenging sci-fi third-person action adventure shooter combining the rewarding feel of overcoming difficulty with a compelling and intricate story, set in a mysterious alien world to explore.

Uncover the mystery of Scars Above!

Last edited:
Top Bottom