• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE building PS3/Cell-based supercomputing cluster

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IBM is using Cell in the Los Alamos supercomputer, but now SCE is building its own in conjunction with Terra Soft, with Lawrence Berkeley, Los Alamos and Oak Ridge lined up as clients. This one also seems to be using PS3s, at least partially. It's due to be operational by the end of the year.

Tomorrow, Terra Soft will officially announce the construction of the world's first Cell-based supercomputing cluster.

In the fall of '05, Terra Soft was contacted by Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. (SCEI) to develop and manage a supercomputing cluster built upon the IBM Cell Broadband Engine and the Linux OS. This spring, Terra Soft was contracted by Sony and in August completed the construction of a 3000 sq-ft supercomputing facility capable of housing 2400 1U systems. In this remodeled extension to the Loveland, Colorado headquarters, Terra Soft will construct a test cluster and a substantially larger production cluster, dubbed "E.coli" and "Amoeba" respectively.

Terra Soft will use the test cluster "E.coli" to conduct advanced software development, optimization, and testing with emphasis on Y-HPC and Y-Bio applied to the Cell Broadband Engine. The production cluster "Amoeba" will be made available to select University and Department of Energy laboratories to further life sciences research.

The clusters will incorporate, in part, Cell-based PS3 systems. The Cell Broadband Engine provides a "1 + 8" multi-core processing environment, enabling optimized code to function at a superior level of performance over traditional single or dual core CPUs. With all 8 cores on a single chip, the code processes do not lose performance by dropping down to the memory bus as with historic, multiple CPU configurations.

Glen Otero, Director of Life Sciences Research for Terra Soft Solutions explains, "This cluster represents a two-fold opportunity: to optimize a suite of open-source life science applications for the Cell processor; to develop a hands-on community around this world-first cluster whereby researchers and life science studies at all levels may benefit. Once up and running with our first labs engaged, we will expand the community through invitations and referrals, supporting a growing knowledge base and library of Cell optimized code, open and available to life science researchers everywhere."

Lawrence Berkeley National Lab is working with Terra Soft to optimize a suite of life science applications. Los Alamos and Oak Ridge National Labs are also engaged, with select universities coming on-board early in 2007. Terra Soft is working to optimize the entire Y-Bio bioinformatics suite.

Thomas Swidler, Sr. Director of Research & Development at SCEI states, "This cluster is for Sony a means of demonstrating the diversity of the PS3, taking it well beyond the traditional role of a game box. While we are not in the business of competing for the Top500.org nor building cluster components, this creative use of the PS3 beta systems enables Sony to support a level of real world research that may produce very positive, beneficial results."

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/967146.html

http://grids.itmanagersjournal.com/gridsclusters/06/10/09/1345209.shtml?tid=66

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
wow, where have you been gofreak? O_O

interesting find though, I wonder how much that thing costs.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hmm...what's the practical takeaway for SCE in commissioning this? Just to "demonstrate the diversity of PS3" seems like something they could do with its base functions.

In other Cell news, there were reports over the past couple of days that Toshiba is working on a mobile-friendly version of Cell.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bad_Boy said:
wow, where have you been gofreak? O_O

Away, I probably won't be around as much, but I saw this and thought I'd drop it by my old GAF friends :)

By the way, Terra Soft's site has a video of what appears to be construction of the facility, although it's not specifically labelled as being the PS3/Cell one. But it matches up to the numbers (3000 sq feet, >2000 nodes etc.), so it probably is it, but they didn't want to announce the technology used at the time the video was made.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/

Perhaps more pertinently, they also are announcing Yellow Dog as the first commercial Linux distribution for Cell. Anyone wanna take bets this will be the distro for PS3?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gofreak said:
IBM is using Cell in the Los Alamos supercomputer, but now SCE is building its own in conjunction with Terra Soft, with Lawrence Berkeley, Los Alamos and Oak Ridge lined up as clients. This one also seems to be using PS3s, at least partially. It's due to be operational by the end of the year.

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/967146.html

http://grids.itmanagersjournal.com/gridsclusters/06/10/09/1345209.shtml?tid=66

It's about ****ing time you showed back up. Damn cuz where you been? o_O

mckmas8808

Gek54 said:
Couldnt live without your daily dose of Sony spin?

Sony spin? Damn man I hope that was a joke. It's threads like these that I miss Gofreak at GAF.

Koren

A french research institution (I think it's CEA, an agency for nuclear and particle physics) has posted a post-doctoral offer (for students that just got their phd) in grid computing, and it says that they will create a Cell-based supercomputer.

I don't have the details yet, but it seems that people is indeed considering using it besides Sony and IBM.

mckmas8808

Koren said:
A french research institution (I think it's CEA, an agency for nuclear and particle physics) has posted a post-doctoral offer (for students that just got their phd) in grid computing, and it says that they will create a Cell-based supercomputer.

I don't have the details yet, but it seems that people is indeed considering using it besides Sony and IBM.

****!!! So the CELL just creamed any and every dream the EE had during 1999 huh? Good job Ken. Every though every fanboy thinks you are crazy, real people know that at least with electronics you are a smart ass guy.

So are these guys really using PS3s for the first supercomputer though? Couldn't they use those for retail? Or were they just debug units? :/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chris_C said:
Wait, why won't you be around much?

GAF is a nice time-waster..when you have time. I don't have free time so much anymore. Besides, lurking has its charms, and I can get my daily GAF dose much easier when not actively posting so much.

A little more detail here: http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn100906-story01.html. They're basically recycling beta dev kits as they phase them out from developers, seemingly. If you're wondering why their calling the testbed e-coli, it's because it was the first lifeform to have its genetic code sequenced.

Bah - three posts! Too much! *goes back into the shadows*

mckmas8808

Again WOW!

The amazing thing is that even if two-thirds of the performance of the PS3 cluster went up the chimney, at $599 for a top-end PS3, a 30 teraflops cluster for under $300,000--and one that you can play games on when the super isn't busy--is a remarkable idea.

So it would seem that the PS3 would be an ideal kind of supercomputer node. But what Terra Soft and its partner, Mercury Computer, believe is that a network of PS3s might be an excellent front end to a giant, high-speed cluster built from Cell-based blade servers that have InfiniBand interconnections. The same software would run on both machines, of course, and would be supplied by Terra Soft.

Damn can anybody else see Sony trying to sell companies retail PS3s next year for research like this to Universities? I mean their sales will be a lot higher from a hardware stand point for marketing, but also using CELL in the PS3s for research like this is a cheap way to introduce people to CELL programming.

If the people like it Sony/IBM can sell them to more expensive CELL blade. Would Sony actually think about doing this?

Thoughts.

Chris_C

gofreak said:
GAF is a nice time-waster..when you have time. I don't have free time so much anymore. Besides, lurking has its charms, and I can get my daily GAF dose much easier when not actively posting so much.

A little more detail here: http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn100906-story01.html. They're basically recycling beta dev kits as they phase them out from developers, seemingly. If you're wondering why their calling the testbed e-coli, it's because it was the first lifeform to have its genetic code sequenced.

Bah - three posts! Too much! *goes back into the shadows*

Gotcha, well you'll be missed.

mckmas8808 said:
Again WOW!

Damn can anybody else see Sony trying to sell companies retail PS3s next year for research like this to Universities? I mean their sales will be a lot higher from a hardware stand point for marketing, but also using CELL in the PS3s for research like this is a cheap way to introduce people to CELL programming.

If the people like it Sony/IBM can sell them to more expensive CELL blade. Would Sony actually think about doing this?

Thoughts.
total fvcking wow.

If they can use mass research purchases as a way to pad the numbers, financial and retail (once it becomes profitable, of course, but it would speed things up than it would take with PS3 retail sales alone), then that would be great.

I don't want to start any shit, but could MS do that with X360s? Especially when they go to 65nm and its profitable, but could they? I don't want to start any lame accusations that I'm backhanding my way into a "PS3 > X360 LOLZ" argument, but the X360 CPU/GPU is ****ing strong, so would there be any reason not to do it?

mckmas8808

Guy LeDouche said:
total fvcking wow.

If they can use mass research purchases as a way to pad the numbers, financial and retail (once it becomes profitable, of course, but it would speed things up than it would take with PS3 retail sales alone), then that would be great.

I don't want to start any shit, but could MS do that with X360s? Especially when they go to 65nm and its profitable, but could they? I don't want to start any lame accusations that I'm backhanding my way into a "PS3 > X360 LOLZ" argument, but the X360 CPU/GPU is ****ing strong, so would there be any reason not to do it?

MS has absoutley 0 reason to make the Xbox 360s usable for reasearch in supercomputers. I would want Sony to pad the numbers to by doing this.

Let Kenny K. get his revenge after the EE failed to be used outside the PS2.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
"e. coli?" it's pretty weird to name your supercomputing cluster after a bacteria that occurs in doodoo and kills people when it gets into food. amoebae cause dysentary, but at least they're cool to look at under microscopes.

mckmas8808

drohne said:
"e. coli?" it's pretty weird to name your supercomputing cluster after a bacteria that occurs in doodoo and kills people when it gets into food. amoebae cause dysentary, but at least they're cool to look at under microscopes.

It's called e-coli because that was the first life form to have its genetic code sequenced. There are reasons for everything.

Top Bottom