• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE Executive Vice President: Possible enhanced version PS4, no first party for Vita

A high performance PS4 does not mean your current PS4 stops working, it just means any game created for standard PS4 will run better on high performance PS4.

They are not going to use a different APU, they might just simply clock it higher if they switch to a smaller fabrication node. Everything can stay the same but the smaller node can afford them a higher clock while remaining in the current thermal envelop and the price will remain the same.
You would have to put new hardware in. Increases just the clocks would no improve performance all that much. Not enough to call it enhanced and make it a worth while purchase any way.

Ludens

Banned
This is just wrong on so many levels...really.
Basically Sony looked at the enhanced One controller and said: "We can do better." Or worst, in this case. Just think about this: if the enhanced controller price is 150€ (I'm taking the italian price here) vs 55€ of the standard one (so basically it's three time expensive, lol), how much an "enhanced" console can cost?

Also: probably developers will optimize games for the latest model, what does this means? Will they just lock out the framerate on 30 fps on vanilla PS4 without spending too much time on optimizing both versions?

Nah, this is a bad idea, really. It's like having a mixed product, a wannabe Steam machine but a close system at the same time.

Juxo

A "high performance PS4" sounds like a disaster for everyone who has a PS4 already.

This.

I've had a PS4 for about 18 months. If they pull this shit, I won't be happy. Unless they offer a really good trade in deal. I'm talking a 'trade-in-your-current-PS4-for-a-high-performance-PS4-at-no-extra-charge' type deal. The whole 'fuck early adopters' strategy does not sit well with me.

TheJRPGamer

Neo Member
hmmm, while they're trying to figure out how to gamble with their success this gen by making a "high performance PS4," perhaps they can figure out how to implement PS1~3 BC while they're at it.

NoWayOut

They are still making games for PS4 using the standard PS4 as minimum but it will run better on PS4.1. Using API, they can increase AF, AA, AO or shadow quality in games on PS4.1 if the game detects it is running on PS4.1.

That's exactly it. I would have no problem with a PS4 Ultra. The same games will run on both, you would get better image quality and higher frame rate on the new one.

I would pay up to $600 for a PS4 that could run modern AAA titles at 1080p/60 like Witcher 3, UC4, GTAV, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, etc.

I'm kind of glad they are focusing just on PS4 even though I love the Vita.

I hope we will see many more exclusives in the consoles future like the amazing PS2 catalogue.

Also wouldn't mind a PS4.5. But I'm a sucker for new hardware.

It'd be interesting to hear what it is...

SSHD X1 style or something more akin to New 3DS, with better processor?

Tripolygon

Banned
You would have to put new hardware in. Increases just the clocks would no improve performance all that much. Not enough to call it enhanced and make it a worth while purchase any way.
No you don't, it would be just another PS4 revision but clocked higher at smaller node. Increased clock will improve performance, the closest chip to PS4 is AMD 7870.

PS4 GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, Engine Clock 800Mhz, 18 Compute Units (1154 Stream Processors), 72 Texture Units , 8GB GDDR5 with 176.0GB/s memory bandwidth

HD7870: 2.56 TFLOPS, Engine Clock 1000Mhz, 20 Compute Units (1280 Stream Processors) , 80 Texture Units , 2/4GB GDDR5 with 153.6GB/s memory bandwidth

gtj1092

Maybe they found the NX secret sauce were games can magically run on two different sets of hardware with no problems.

mocoworm

Remember when we bought a RAM pack to upgrade our N64's ? Is it possible to do that with modern consoles? Kind of, plug in booster for RAM or suchlike, so anyone with existing machines could buy an upgrade, while newer models would have it built in.

styl3s

I would totally be ok with both Sony and Microsoft releasing new versions of consoles every 2-3 years.

People do this with phones and tablets every year so why not? Partner up with ISPS or TV services to offer like economy plans for people who can't afford them right out like cell phone companies do with their $0 down or $200 down 2 year contracts.

Boke1879

Are people really taking this enhanced ps4 to mean they are making it? He's probably answering a hypotherical question an if anything they'll remain ideaa

This is just wrong on so many levels...really.
Basically Sony looked at the enhanced One controller and said: "We can do better." Or worst, in this case. Just think about this: if the enhanced controller price is 150€ (I'm taking the italian price here) vs 55€ of the standard one (so basically it's three time expensive, lol), how much an "enhanced" console can cost?

Also: probably developers will optimize games for the latest model, what does this means? Will they just lock out the framerate on 30 fps on vanilla PS4 without spending too much time on optimizing both versions?

Nah, this is a bad idea, really. It's like having a mixed product, a wannabe Steam machine but a close system at the same time.

He was asked if an upgrade was possible and responded that yeah it's possible because X86 is far more flexible than the Cell was. That's all he said. It's not like they've got some secret upgraded PS4 stored away somewhere.

I'm not talking about it as if its already happened, it is all hypothetical. Developers do not create games for different PCs, they create one game that scales with performance of different PC configurations.
"They are still making games for PS4..."

To get the optimal settings they would have to make the games to run at specific settings on the new PS4 than make sure it runs fine on the old PS4. Or they would have to get it to run on the PS4 than make sure that it runs properly on the new PS4 I. Which case those enhancements were minimal. It's additional steps anyway you look at it.
PC games give the user the option to toggle with the settings to get the best performance out of their specific hardware, this isn't how consoles have ever worked and I don't see why they would change that now. People play games on consoles because of its simplicity, you put the game in and play. You don't need to tinker with settings to optimize your game.

How is a high performance PS4 any different than what Nintendo did with the new 3ds? They pulled that off so I don't know why Sony couldn't

It still plays all the same games but has higher quality textures, performance etc

Boke1879

He was asked if an upgrade was possible and responded that yeah it's possible because X86 is far more flexible than the Cell was. That's all he said. It's not like they've got some secret upgraded PS4 stored away somewhere.

This. People are taking these comments way too literal

Ludens

Banned
I would totally be ok with both Sony and Microsoft releasing new versions of consoles every 2-3 years.

People do this with phones and tablets every year so why not? Partner up with ISPS or TV services to offer like economy plans for people who can't afford them right out like cell phone companies do.

Umh, no thanks. Console are expensive, they are worth because, you know, they usually have a long life cycle. I really do not understand the mentality on buying a new version of the same phone each year, anyway, so I'm not the target of this operation. What's the point on having a console? I mean, just for exclusives at this point, because changing hardware every 2-3 years mean a console is not a console but a PC. And on PC, anyway, if you can pass on having 60 fps with all options on max, you can easily pass several years without changing hardware.

Darius

Banned
I think it would be a great idea. People already complain about how slow this generation is ramping up, with delayed games and what not. Early adaptors will then have the chance to show their loyalty and be part of the console elite or to end up with an inferior current gen console for the rest of the gen.

-Horizon-

I'd rather not. Especially if the enhanced ps4 became the only way to do VR. You know, since I want to actually play Summer Lesson without having to plop more money for another ps4 and a headset.

Tripolygon

Banned
"They are still making games for PS4..."

To get the optimal settings they would have to make the games to run at specific settings on the new PS4 than make sure it runs fine on the old PS4. Or they would have to get it to run on the PS4 than make sure that it runs properly on the new PS4 I. Which case those enhancements were minimal. It's additional steps anyway you look at it.
PC games give the user the option to toggle with the settings to get the best performance out of their specific hardware, this isn't how consoles have ever worked and I don't see why they would change that now. People play games on consoles because of its simplicity, you put the game in and play. You don't need to tinker with settings to optimize your game.
In this hypothetical thread and scenario of an enhanced PS4, they are still making games for standard PS4. Every other thing you said after that is just part of game development and is not extra work or step. You test to make sure things work properly, its not going to mean the difference between shipping a game today or 4 weeks later.

STEaMkb

It seems the question and answer is made in relation to HD Blu-ray and Virtual Reality - as part of their deliberations, Sony considered releasing a more powerful unit to play VR games. But it's not a solution they settled on.

EDIT: Yes, now confirmed.

Aces&Eights

Why would people buy a "high performance" PS4? Seriously at that point just hop into PC gaming.

Seems like a dumb thing to release tbh.

Here's this thing again. Mate, some of us don't want to work all day on a computer them come home and download drivers, trouble shoot borderless window mode, wait 30 days for a new release that is already on consoles, etc. I know pc gaming is a thing but it is not for me. I've read some of the pc thread OT (evil within, batman AK, Watchdogs) and it's pages of people saying, "I can't get it to run without hitching. Why is the game crashing every five minutes? Ive done this and that and rebooted 3 times and downloaded new drivers and configured this and that. "

Some of us just can't be bothered and would welcome a beefy ps4 upgrade. Pay, plug in and play.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This.

I've had a PS4 for about 18 months. If they pull this shit, I won't be happy. Unless they offer a really good trade in deal. I'm talking a 'trade-in-your-current-PS4-for-a-high-performance-PS4-at-no-extra-charge' type deal. The whole 'fuck early adopters' strategy does not sit well with me.

games did not magically run worse on the OG 3DS when nintendo released the new 3DS.

That'd be interesting if in two of three years they released a high performance version and went the apple model.

Kept the "ps4" at a constant $399 for the high performance version and kept the others out there at lower prices.

Wonder how it would affect software development given the long dev cycles on console. Might not work. But might make work for AAA as everything becomes annualized.

Elandyll

Banned
Pretty sure that somehow something got lost in the transition to the article, either during the interview itself or the Jap-> English translation.

I really can't imagine he was actually talking about a different hardware revision of the PS4 that would show enough of a power differential to be worth doing.

He must either have been talking about the PS4 (eventual) sucessor (he even mentions doing something different than x86, which woud actually seem like a bad idea for the sake of backward compat), or a perf boost of all current PS4s through some software revisions.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, I think I'll wait for a clarification or better translation before I jump to any conclusions on those PS4 comments.

epmode

A high-performance PS4? Nope, thanks. I'm barely into console gaming as it is. I'd go 100% PC if that happened.

Here's this thing again. Mate, some of us don't want to work all day on a computer them come home and download drivers, trouble shoot borderless window mode, wait 30 days for a new release that is already on consoles, etc. I know pc gaming is a thing but it is not for me. I've read some of the pc thread OT (evil within, batman AK, Watchdogs) and it's pages of people saying, "I can't get it to run without hitching. Why is the game crashing every five minutes? Ive done this and that and rebooted 3 times and downloaded new drivers and configured this and that. "

Some of us just can't be bothered and would welcome a beefy ps4 upgrade. Pay, plug in and play.
Except with games being designed for different versions of the console, you would probably be running into those issues on consoles a lot more often. Only it would be up to the devs to patch it

Trojan

Maybe they'd do a PS4 VR optimised SKU or something like that.

That's the only thing that could make sense to me. Fragmenting their normal PS4 base with multiple SKUs would be a nightmare unless it's integrated into something like VR that you have to buy separately anyway.

I can't think of any examples when a console has developed a higher performance version and it's worked well.

Aces&Eights

Except with games being designed for different versions of the console, you would probably be running into those issues on consoles a lot more often. Only it would be up to the devs to patch it

Well, they would need to have their shit together, agreed. It would be suicide to release an upgraded console that had huge issues running games. I suspect that this is all for VR anyway.

Griss

I'd have no problem with a PS4-S, Apple style.

I wouldn't buy it, though. Perfectly happy with my base model.

The issue with a PS4-S is that older games wouldn't gain any advantage from it unless they were patched to check for the S model and boost the framerate or what have you. By the time an S model would come out, the PS4 would be halfway through it's lifespan already and you might as well be prepping the PS5.

Makes more sense to make a cheaper 'slim' version as they typically do.

If it's for VR, though, then I understand it.

Top Bottom