• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA’s Peter Dille talks post-PS3 launch details. (1M in retails hands & KZ in 2007)

Ceb

Sony should whip Guerrilla to get Killzone out one month before Halo 3, like in October (assuming Halo 3 doesn't come out earlier). It's better to go up against a fresh GTAIV and little else than it is to go up against the November blitz of cumulative GTAIV sales, a huge FPS in the shape of Halo 3 and countless other mainstream titles. If Killzone's any good, word of mouth should carry it throughout the holidays.

syfodyas said:
Fair enough. But remember, there arent that many 'good games' on PS3 at the moment. Many invested their $599 due to loyaty to the company/brand and the promise of potential. So yes, we DO support Sony with our dollars/pounds/whatever - their attitude within the marketplace is childish, arrogant and patronising. As the market leader they should act with more integrity. You never hear such trash talking from the other big two. If I were to spew the rubbish that Sony have about their competitors, I would be banned for trolling.

To be fair Bill Gates did trash talk PS3 in a similar manner the other day

Endymion

Agent Icebeezy said:
Halo 3's reign, if Halo 2 is any indication, is going to last for a few years

I agree. And if Halo 3 will be any indication, Halo 4's reign is going to last for a few years.
And if Halo 4 will be any indication, Halo 5's reign is going to last for a few years.
And if Halo 5 will be any indication, Halo 6's reign is going to last for a few years.
And if Halo 6 will be any indication, Halo 7's reign is going to last for a few years.
And if Halo 7 will be any indication, Halo 8's reign is going to last for a few years.
Then earth will collapse by atomic wars and Halo 8 will be remembered as the best fps evah. Here I said it.

westical

Banned
Ceb said:
Sony should whip Guerrilla to get Killzone out one month before Halo 3, like in October (assuming Halo 3 doesn't come out earlier). It's better to go up against a fresh GTAIV and little else than it is to go up against the November blitz of cumulative GTAIV sales, a huge FPS in the shape of Halo 3 and countless other mainstream titles. If Killzone's any good, word of mouth should carry it throughout the holidays.

The Halo 3 beta would lessen the impact of an early release for Killzone though.

wazoo

I do not like people that claim things like "you can not even start" ...

I do not agree with Dille talk, this is just PR after all, critics are always very fast to forget the same things when they come from their prefered side.

syfodyas

Banned
Me_Marcadet said:
lol ?

Microsoft and Nintendo PR are so nice yeah :lol

Examples please...

Nintendo and MS may exert 'confidence' in their products, but I never hear them outright insult their rivals..

Ceb

westical said:
The Halo 3 beta would lessen the impact of an early release for Killzone though.

Perhaps among the hardest of hardcore fans, and those who are almost exclusively into multiplayer gaming, but I don't think they'll be getting a PS3 anytime soon anyway...

westical

Banned
Ceb said:
Perhaps among the hardest of hardcore fans, and those who are almost exclusively into multiplayer gaming, but I don't think they'll be getting a PS3 anytime soon anyway...

Word of mouth will work for Halo 3 too.

Ceb

westical said:
Word of mouth will work for Halo 3 too.

Of course, that's a given. What I mean is that once people are caught up with Halo 3, they'll be less inclined to give KZ a chance. That could change if Sony has managed to get the game out to enough people before the H3 release (and, as always, if it's any good).

westical

Banned
On the other hand, I guess the problem with delaying it until early 2008 would be the possiblity that Bungie rolls out a few free maps around the same time and suddenly it's Halo 3 fever all over again.

deftangel

took a programming course
Mojovonio said:
Sony never started the Halo-killer thing, IGN did, and it has lived on with Killzone since.

But who knows, maybe Guerrilla is a really shitty dev house, I mean they haven't been putting out very well received games. Point is, I really like the Killzone universe and think it has really good potential, and I really want this game to work out.

I distinctly remember seeing ads in the paper for Killzone with attributed quotes saying things like "Who needs Halo...."

So whilst Sony might not have said it directly, they stuck quotes connecting it from IGN/Gamespot/whoeveritwas on the ad.

syfodyas said:
Fair enough. But remember, there arent that many 'good games' on PS3 at the moment. Many invested their $599 due to loyaty to the company/brand and the promise of potential. So yes, we DO support Sony with our dollars/pounds/whatever - their attitude within the marketplace is childish, arrogant and patronising. As the market leader they should act with more integrity. You never hear such trash talking from the other big two. If I were to spew the rubbish that Sony have about their competitors, I would be banned for trolling.
Sony spend more time trashing others than addressing any legitimate issues or concerns we Gamers have with their own products.

true, but there werent many good games for quite along time after the 360 launch...and to me it looks like the wii has the least exciting games outside of zelda on offer as of now

peace

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm positive that Halo 3 will be a much better game than Killzone, but we can't completely count Killzone out just yet.

If they can deliver a solid, great looking game, it will receive attention. Halo 3 is going to sell by the truckloads, but I'd say the hype will be a tad lower than Halo 2 as a result of that disappointment (the mulitplayer is popular, but the single player disappointed many). In addition, Killzone may look significantly better than Halo 3. Gears of War was an incredible looking title, but it has been suggested that Bungie is not aiming to exceed it.

Halo 3 will sell more units, receive more praise, and become more popular...but those factors could aid Killzone should they actually release a good game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Didn't Killzone do good numbers even though it wasn't a great all around game?

klee123

mckmas8808 said:
Didn't Killzone do good numbers even though it wasn't a great all around game?

Sold more than 2 million copies despite the scores. Problem is if the gamers are willing to fall for it again.

Luckett_X

Banned
That PSP response is incredible. If it were a video interview I'd expect Dille to be grabbing and shaking the interviewer at the time, yelling it aloud in a panicked voice, sweat droplets very noticeable on his brow.

Grecco

dark10x said:
If they can deliver a solid, great looking game, it will receive attention. Halo 3 is going to sell by the truckloads, but I'd say the hype will be a tad lower than Halo 2 as a result of that disappointment (the mulitplayer is popular, but the single player disappointed many)..

Id say this is wrong. The hype for Halo 3 is 100x bigger than Halo 2... 1 year preorders. The MNF Commercial the Beta... it was never like this for Halo 2. The Hype for the third and supposed final chapter has probably exeded most games not named World of Warcraft.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Killzone 3 needs to be released before Halo 3. The problem with anything released afterwards is that it gets compared to the previous game. Many time people cannot even review them properly because they have an instant bias (due to them liking the previous game)

If They release it before Halo 3 and it's a great game, Halo 3 will suffer from the same issue. Is all about timing.

If Sony really wants to get their reviews up though they should send some Amsterdam working ladies to the big 3 and the rest will follow: IGN, GAMESPOT, and GAF! while reviews go on. As we all know, gaming journalist are easily persuaded.

Unfortunately Resistance didn't have such luck. Not only was it released after gears it didn't carry the hype. However it's considered by many, game of the year '06.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Grecco said:
Id say this is wrong. The hype for Halo 3 is 100x bigger than Halo 2... 1 year preorders. The MNF Commercial the Beta... it was never like this for Halo 2. The Hype for the third and supposed final chapter has probably exeded most games not named World of Warcraft.

Do events + pre-order availability = hype though? MS is doing a lot to get people excited and not doubt they are succeeding but to claim it has more hype that halo 2 simply because of the extra coverage might be overstating it no?

Also with FPS becoming the norm on consoles will halo 3 reach halo 2 numbers? Sure there are tons of super hard core fans but not all of those 8million + are eagerly awaiting it. I pre-ordered Halo 2 Col. Edition when it came out but I have to say I am holding off on three until it released and since Resistance multiplayer is so damn good I have to say halo 3 has a lot to live up to.

Mau ®

Good interview except for the PSP part. The damn thing may have great sales but no one is buying games.

Don't spin Sony, do something!

andthebeatgoeson

Every Sunday in the paper, there’s a new deal with a free controller or a free game or 100 dollars off all discounting the 360. I don’t think you take those measures if you’re selling as expected.
I'll be waiting when the PS3 sells less than the Xbox 360 this year.

I guess Sony should start releasing some 10 second teasers before the hype dies.

Or maybe they plan to release some news when Halo 3 Beta Testing starts...

Maybe they'll beta test Halo 3 themselves and see the pros and cons of Halo and make it better for Killzone...

Maybe... :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
shagg_187 said:
I guess Sony should start releasing some 10 second teasers before the hype dies.

Maybe they'll beta test Halo 3 themselves and see the pros and cons of Halo and make it better for Killzone...

untitled--1.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
shagg_187 said:

wow thank you! this is what I was waiting for!

shagg_187 said:

Or maybe they'll simply rest on their laurels with this game just as they've done with the entire PS3 release. Maybe.

Top Bottom