• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Schindler's list or Pianist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game4life

Banned
Two masterfully directed movies set during the period of the holocaust that are very different in a lot of ways but also explore similar emotional themes. After much thought i felt that the Pianist is the better film. It is a more personal story in my opinion and of course the brilliant soundtrack throughout the movie borrowed from Chopin's stunning work. The scene when Brody plays the Ballade in G minor is an absolutely riveting and emotional scene that just cemented my opinion that Pianist is my favorite work of Polanski.

Which is the definitive movie set during the holocaust in your opinion GAF?

Speevy

Banned
Schindler's List is much more entertaining, or as entertaining as a movie about horrible atrocities can be.

No Love

Banned
Ban the OP. Schindler's List is one of the greatest films of all-time, The Pianist is about a giant nose that plays piano

Megasoum

Banned
billy madison is better

giphy.gif

FuturusX

Both have problems. Pick you poison. However - Janusz kaminski's incredible cinematic work coupled with Spielberg's strong visual story craft pushes Schindler over the top.

Schindler's List is a masterpiece and could stand as a legitimate historical document. Having said that, I don't think it passes as "entertainment" (nor should it). Someone here said it's more entertaining than The Pianist? Fucking what?

Schindler's List is NOT that movie you put on with some popcorn and say "boy oh boy, sure could go for a movie right now!" If anything, it should be required viewing in high school history classes.

The Pianist, on the other hand, is so transfixed on the one character and his POV as he struggles to survive and scavenges for food and things to keep him afloat, and how he hides (or how people help him to hide) as the Nazi war machine proceeds to devour everything around him...all of this makes for a far more compelling viewing with tension and tonal shifts that seem far less dour than the constant flow of atrocities depicted in SL.

So when we talk about which is the true masterwork of cinema, it is no doubt Schindler's List on an objective level.

But if we want a film that is accessible and easier to watch and a bit more "entertaining" (if one can even say such a thing about a holocaust/WWII film), it's The Pianist.

Speevy

Banned
Schindler's List is a masterpiece and could stand as a legitimate historical document. Having said that, I don't think it passes as "entertainment" (nor should it). Someone here said it's more entertaining than The Pianist? Fucking what?

That was me. I also used the quote button to reply to your post.

Yes, I think Schindler's List is more entertaining. I'm not saying it's fun to watch, but it makes for a more compelling drama. With that said, some scenes in Schindler's List (like when the people are stripped naked and made to walk) are not easy to watch.

That was me. I also used the quote button to reply to your post.

Yes, I think Schindler's List is more entertaining. I'm not saying it's fun to watch, but it makes for a more compelling drama. With that said, some scenes in Schindler's List (like when the people are stripped naked and made to walk) are not easy to watch.

I'm mobile and I owe the lack of a direct response to laziness. Apologies.

That's fair, but I don't agree in the slightest. :D

Oersted

Both are good. Shoah and Night and Fog are even better.

Schindler's List is NOT that movie you put on with some popcorn and say "boy oh boy, sure could go for a movie right now!" If anything, it should be required viewing in high school history classes.

Schindler's List is by no means a legimate historical document.

injurai

Banned

The Pianist, on the other hand, is so transfixed on the one character and his POV as he struggles to survive and scavenges for food and things to keep him afloat, and how he hides (or how people help him to hide) as the Nazi war machine proceeds to devour everything around him...all of this makes for a far more compelling viewing with tension and tonal shifts that seem far less dour than the constant flow of atrocities depicted in SL.

So when we talk about which is the true masterwork of cinema, it is no doubt Schindler's List on an objective level.

But if we want a film that is accessible and easier to watch and a bit more "entertaining" (if one can even say such a thing about a holocaust/WWII film), it's The Pianist.

My initial answer was The Pianist. I think I will agree with this though.

Dicktatorship

Adrien Brody as the epitome of misery
Roman Polanski as the director hunting an oscar
vs
Top form Liam Neeson
Spiel-literally-god-berg
Ralph Inanimate Fucking Object Fiennes

The answer here is clear as Mountain Dew guys

KiHtUnF.gif

I watched both of these in succession in my 10th grade history class. That scene in schlinder's list
where they are hurdled into the shower only for it to be an actual shower
is some of the most powerful shit i've seen

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think pianist made me sadder because it was more personal and on one of the victims and his slow decline from a good life to nothing.

But schindlers list made me feel something more than that because you learn a little bit about humanity and a piece of relevant history you might not hear otherwise.

So definitely schindlers list.

Game4life

Banned
Holy shit. I never knew Spielberg wanted to pass the Schindler's list project to Polanski given that he was a holocaust survivor but Polanski turned it down.

Holy shit. I never knew Spielberg wanted to pass the Schindler's list project to Polanski given that he was a holocaust survivor but Polanski turned it down.

What if I told you that Spielberg once gave the film to Scorsese, then to get it back, gave Scorsese Cape Fear.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Schindler's List is definitely the better movie from a technical standpoint; some scenes are pure genius directorial skills

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like The Pianist more.

Schindler's List had me bored to the point i was playing games on my phone, compared to that The Pianist had my attention all the way, and its one of the rare movies that's made me actually yell "WHAT THE FUCK" at the wheel-chair guy scene.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I like The Pianist more.

Schindler's List had me bored to the point i was playing games on my phone, compared to that The Pianist had my attention all the way, and its one of the rare movies that's made me actually yell "WHAT THE FUCK" at the wheel-chair guy scene.

Congratulations on being everything that is wrong with the current generation. Your phone shouldn't have even been on you, much less in your hands to play games. WTF, dude.

KorrZ

Easy choice...Schindler's List by far. Don't get me wrong...the Pianist was a great movie too, but Schindler's List was just incredible. Liam Neeson killed it.

Velikost

I prefer the Pianist. One of my favorite films of all time. Can't say it's better than Schindler's List though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom