• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists Break Record For Growing Human Embryos in Lab. Rekindles Ethical Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

Why not all of this stuff?

Why not grow real children outside of the womb in place of pregnancies?

Why not grow mindless bodies for organ harvesting?

Why not grow mindless drones for labor?

You had me until this one. You need a "mind" to do tasks, so if you're talking about growing slaves with severely diminished intelligence, ehhh.. I think that might be really pushing it ethically.

Dreavus

I could see the first one happening actually.

For the second, more likely they'd figure out how to grow only the organs they need.

For the last, I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want lobotomized biological robots of human origin developed only to be enslaved. Plus you'd still have to feed them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
For the last, I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want lobotomized biological robots of human origin developed only to be enslaved. Plus you'd still have to feed them.

Works well enough for the Imperium of Man. Creepy lobotomized androids for all!

Well most reasonable abortion limits have to do with viability. Being able to ensure that viability artificially changes the conversation.

Bingo. This is probably more an argument AGAINST abortion before most established legal limits.

Khoryos

I'm all for the first two, but for menial labour robotics is simpler and cheaper.

Pretty sure this is leading to rich people being able to grow their own humans and harvest their organs for transplants.
If someone paid you £10 million pounds for your DNA, so that it could be grown in to a human being and harvested for its organs, would you do it?

So science advanced enough to make human clones, but not just the organs?

The first is a real possibility and would likely provide a number of advantages, such as allowing for more healthy babies (Since you no longer need to worry about foreign substances like drugs or alcohol the mother takes in causing birth defects) and removing the need to cause the woman pain. There might be some drawbacks due to the lack of the hormonal responses pregnant women go through, but we could probably supplement that if necessary in any number of ways.

The second is needlessly inefficient, which is why most research is focused on just growing the necessary organ without the rest of the body

The third raises more ethical issues and is less efficient than just using machines anyways, and is thus pointless

Ms.Galaxy

The 1st one is something I support greatly for many reasons, especially when the technology already shows we could eventually create the biological children of same sex couples and artificial wombs will probably be the best option for them. I hope this is something me and my boyfriend have access to by 2040, crossing fingers. For cis women, it also means a more safer birth, no more pain, no need to worry about toxic substances, and a more healthier child.

The 2nd one, I think we'll have the technology to just make the organs by themselves without the need to harvest them from a cloned no brained human. Plus, it's probably less time consuming and requires less energy to artificially grow a single heart that matches the DNA of the person who needs it, than to create a full body clone of the person solely for the heart.

3rd, yeah... I think we should just stick with robots. Robots are cheaper and more efficient than a mindless human clone in the coming future. There's no need for that.

darscot

I would love to see what we could do as a species if we removed all ethics and morality. It would probably end badly but would be amazing.

Jebusman

Banned

Woah there, calm down a bit. I'm all for our crazy sci-fi future as much as anyone else, but you might want to think these ones through a bit more.

Body growing for organs seems needlessly wasteful unless we also come up with a way to recycle the human body and it's components with an acceptable amount of potential material loss (due to energy expenditure). Otherwise just trying to grow the organ itself seems like a better use of resources.

The mindless drone part seems unneeded when robots (could) exist, and also assume the worst of humanity and would look forward/fear the day when the sex industry gets a hold of that.

Why buy a blowup doll when you can just buy a fuckable mindless human being? I'm sure that'll go over swimmingly.

Geist-

The 1st one is something I support greatly for many reasons, especially when the technology already shows we could eventually create the biological children of same sex couples and artificial wombs will probably be the best option for them. I hope this is something me and my boyfriend have access to by 2040, crossing fingers. For cis women, it also means a more safer birth, no more pain, no need to worry about toxic substances, and a more healthier child.

The 2nd one, I think we'll have the technology to just make the organs by themselves without the need to harvest them from a cloned no brained human. Plus, it's probably less time consuming and requires less energy to artificially grow a single heart that matches the DNA of the person who needs it, than to create a full body clone of the person solely for the heart.

3rd, yeah... I think we should just stick with robots. Robots are cheaper and more efficient than a mindless human clone in the coming future. There's no need for that.

I agree with all of the above. It's basically the reason I don't want kids right now, that's a lot of stress, pain, and effort that only the woman in the relationship has to go through. And the ability to create a child out of the DNA of two people regardless of the sexes of that relationship is a bond that everyone should have access to if the technology is there.

As far as cloning, we're already 3d printing organs, why would we clone whole bodies for organs when that method is already showing so much progress.

And ya, robots are already doing a lot of manual labor, not sure why we would want to switch to something so closely resembling slavery.

Kenstar

Pretty sure this is leading to rich people being able to grow their own humans and harvest their organs for transplants.
If someone paid you £10 million pounds for your DNA, so that it could be grown in to a human being and harvested for its organs, would you do it?

bitch I'd sell all rights to my genetic code for 100k microsoft points

CoryCubed

Good, now get this to where we can raise a fetus for a full term in an artificial womb so all the conservatives and liberals can eat crap with their lame tired arguments. Save the baby, Abortion aborted, Mother still has right to get rid of child without it dying.

Izuna

Banned
Lab grown humans. Live a caged lab life then have "one bad day" and use use their organs to keep the rich alive.

It'll happen before I die. I'll make the same face then as I do now.

The more we find out about improving the birth of a human biochemically etc. the worse deal the previous generation has.

While I draw the line here, I can't give an argument that is different from anyone else who wants to impede potentially beneficial progress.

Maybe I just not used to what the new norm will be. I am not a lawmaker, I take a back seat to this.

Ms.Galaxy

Lab grown humans. Live a caged lab life then have "one bad day" and use use their organs to keep the rich alive.

It'll happen before I die. I'll make the same face then as I do now.

I have no fear that this will actually happen. The rich love to remain rich, so what will they choose? Lab grown organs which is cheaper, faster, and easier to produce or lab grown humans which takes time to mature, is expensive, and more complicated to produce. If I was rich, I'd go for the first option. Just take some of the genetic samples and 3d print me a liver in less than a week. Same with creating lab grown human slaves. They gotta feed them, keep them clean, and so much more. It's cheaper to just get an advance robot or multiple machines to be your "slave". They don't need much, easier to get, cheaper and more efficient.

I'm extremely pro-choice and a huge proponent of stem cell research. That said, the thought of creating entire human life just for the sake of harvesting organs is........it just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Again, I don't think something like this will ever happen. (Except maybe once by some crazed mad doctor for the sake of science.) We already have methods like 3d printing that shows promise at making artificial organs, we can make lab grown singular organs without the need to fully develop a lab grown human. It's just not efficient, and it costs too much time, resources, energy, and money to develop a lab grown human.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm extremely pro-choice and a huge proponent of stem cell research. That said, the thought of creating entire human life just for the sake of harvesting organs is........it just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Even if that "human" is genetically incapable of consciousness?

G.ZZZ

The limit should obviously be changed. There's no reason why it shouldn't be in line with the legal limit on abortion dates.

Abortion exist to protects women though, because we value the rights of women over the rights of embryos, at least until they have conscious though.

But this is simply experimenting for the sake of it. There's only a vague benefit in possible future progress over experimenting with human embryos. I'm not against it per se, but if we admit embryos have rights (and abortion admit they have them), experimenting on them is morally ambigous. At certain points we have to set a limit, and i don't see a reason on why we should change the 14 days one. It's arbitrary as any other, arguably.
Just so it's clear, i'm also against lab animals and eating meat in principle, even if i accept that we as a society are nowhere as advanced enough, morally, to accept those as basic principle and i accept the fact that we break them.

cameron

Nature has another article up. "Embryology policy: Revisit the 14-day rule"
The 14-day limit was first proposed in 1979 by the Ethics Advisory Board of the US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. It was endorsed in 1984 by the Warnock committee in the United Kingdom, and in 1994 by the US National Institutes of Health's Human Embryo Research Panel.

In at least 12 countries, this limit is encoded in laws governing assisted reproduction and embryo research (see 'International agreement'). The rule is also embodied in numerous reports commissioned by governments, and in scientific guidelines for embryo and assisted-reproduction research. These include China's 2003 Ethical Guiding Principles on Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research and India's 2007 Guidelines for Stem Cell Research and Therapy.
V9FZmOo.jpg

Revisiting the 14-day rule might tempt people to try to rationalize or attack the philosophical coherence of the limit as an ethical tenet grounded in biological facts. This misconstrues the restriction. The 14-day rule was never intended to be a bright line denoting the onset of moral status in human embryos. Rather, it is a public-policy tool designed to carve out a space for scientific inquiry and simultaneously show respect for the diverse views on human-embryo research.

In fact, as a public-policy instrument, the 14-day rule has been tremendously successful. It has offered a clear and legally enforceable stopping point for research, because the primitive streak can be visibly identified and it is possible to count the number of days that an embryo has been cultured in a dish. The alternatives at each extreme — banning embryo research altogether or imposing no restrictions on embryo use — would not have made for good public policy in a pluralistic society.
Scientists have a crucial part to play in this process. In 1985, when the legality of human-embryo research in the United Kingdom was threatened by a parliamentary bill, Nature editors appealed to embryologists to submit explanations of their research and its importance — to educate policymakers and the public before undue restrictions on research were passed (see Nature 314, 11; 1985).

Today, researchers of human developmental biology should similarly engage with the public about what they are doing and why it matters. And they should consider designing their experiments in a way that, while furthering discovery, also addresses people's moral concerns.

In the immediate future, researchers should work closely with their local research-oversight committees to ensure that they are not at risk of violating current laws or guidelines. There are currently ambiguities around the legal definition of 'human embryo' in some jurisdictions, and uncertainties around the biological potential of self-organizing, embryo-like structures.

Next week, the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) will release its revised guidelines for stem-cell research. These guidelines are the result of a multinational, interdisciplinary task force (which included one of us, I.H.) with input from stakeholders around the world. One of the goals of these guidelines is to provide a framework for those concerned about how research oversight should proceed in light of new forms of embryo research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom