• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts 2, bitches!

bounchfx

"10,000 more words"

for when you can't even find one the system didn't recognize in the first place. (non vulgar, ladies.)

Kraut

All of those improvements will be in vain if they don't address the limited logic used for all the items and puzzles. I'm going to wait until the reviews hit this time, instead of falling into GAF's hyperbole and getting my ass burned as a result.

Scribblenauts had a great foundation, one of the most ambitious games out there really. I personally had a lot of fun with the first despite its problems, and from the sound of things it seems like they will be trying their best to address people's problems with the first game. Plus, having double the amount of words to use can only make the experience better. Can't wait to find out more about this game!

Oh and Jackson, Lock's Quest 2 please; with these improvements.

Better controls.

Faster camera scroll speed. I couldn't build in some of the larger levels fast enough because the camera wouldn't scroll to the location fast enough. It's rare, but it was especially annoying in the final battle.

Smarter weapon design - This one I need to go in-depth. Some of the weapons are too 1 dimensional. Like the one that fights off aerial enemies. They can only hit those and nothing else. Other games like this might have weapons more effective at X enemy, but can also help out in combat. Since the game's source limit means you can't build blindly, you end up not knowing whether you'll encounter flying enemies and end up not being able to do jack cause you didn't build it, or wasting source on a useless weapon.

Better source management - The gun mini-game was boring. You never know how much source you need, so it ends up being a chore to grind for source. You guys should just reset the source amount every level at a certain number you feel is enough, and have a bonus mini-game that'll increase the totals depending on how you do in the mini-game. The mini-game should also be limited so you can't go back and grind for more. Grind or no grind, the original gun mini-game got boring fast.

eXistor

As much as I loved the concept of the first game, the execution was fuck-awful. I'm definitely interested in the sequel if they can live up to expectations this time around.

I was just going to say hints and controls. Hints are already in i see. just needs control tighten. It will be great. As some one suggested D pad controls would be great

Somnid

I'm optomistic.

Beside adjectives and controls I really think the physics needed and overhaul and also the person AI. I really hope they revisit what they've built and took feedback from the first game because it didn't always work as expected. That and break up a few of the synonym clusters into multiple objects.

I'm looking forward to it. As long as they realize what mistakes they made with the first game and attempt to fix them I'll pick it up sometime. Just don't turn it in to a Cooking Mama series. We really don't need a new game every. single. year.

Blizzard

Banned
Massa said:
Is it being developed by 5th Cell?
Yeah, I want to know this too. JACKSON! *puts up the Jackson signal* WE NEED INFO. I also wonder if this is DS only since I didn't seem to notice any platform information on that website.
We will undoubtedly not get any info due to exclusive deals with WB and magazines and stuff. :p
I'm impressed that the game is coming out this quickly in fall too, same as Portal 2. Hopefully whoever has been developing it has enough time to finish.

At any rate, here are some primary things the game needs in my opinion (and I know all about the gaming culture -- I yam an expert):

1. NeoGAF needs to think the game will be bad, or mediocre. NeoGAF needs to not be hyped about the game. This should be rather obvious about every game, but especially Scribblenauts. Uncharted 2 might be the only game I've ever seen be nearly universally liked after the release, while every other one has a bunch of people who start hating it or who become disappointed in it.

2. A better Johnny Depp dancing GIF. That one did come out pretty quickly though.

3. Better controls, and a better physics engine. Specifically:
3a. The camera should stay frozen wherever you move it, without snapping back. Alternatively, have an option to control this.
3b. The arrow keys should move Maxwell along with a jump button if needed. If left-handedness is a concern, add an option to switch between right- and left-handed controls in a main options screen somewhere.
3c. It should be easier to move things, select enemies, and attack enemies. D-pad controls should prevent as many Maxwell suicides though, so I'll leave how this one is fixed open-ended.
3d. Stacked objects should stay put instead of potentially falling through each other. If you put stuff (girders?) over a gap, the girder might crawl along the ground or slowly fall INTO the ground in Scribblenauts 1.
3e. There should be some magically better way to do ropes and cords. The usual problem was that the rope/cord got locked into a certain shape, and then it was difficult to impossible to drag it somewhere that would fit in the level AND attach to whatever you were trying to use.
3f. Mass and friction should be implemented or faked so that if you attach a rope to a small object, the rope might pull it off the cliff. If you attach the rope to an anvil, or a car, or a steamroller, the heavy object should basically stay put unless something quite heavy is on the other end.

4. In terms of gameplay, I suppose there are various ways things could be improved. No dark levels would be nice, and if existing words interacted in more complex ways it would be impressive and more satisfying, for instance. In Scribblenauts 1, I feel that a good bit of the interaction is impressive due to a sort of horoscope effect, where you read more meaning into it than actually is there.

5. Jackson needs to get me a hat this time around. :'(

I spent the time writing up a detailed list of thoughts because I really appreciated Jackson being involved with the community last time around, and I think there is a chance he might read this, if 5th Cell is even developing it. I really liked Scribblenauts 1 and I do not regret buying three copies, but I do admit it had several flaws. :)

I'm not going to hype myself up for this. I'll be waiting for GAF impressions this time instead of buying it day 1.

10k more items is something I don't care about. I hope they make more of the items useful. I pretty much always used the same items last time. Though that might change with the removal of the par system.

For some reason I recall Jackson saying they filled the DS Cart to the brim. How are they adding 10k more words in that case? Perhaps it isn't for the DS this time.

Dina

Are you assholes gonna hype this shit through the roof again? Let's not foam over an E3 users post and avatars made for each other.

Oh man.... The first one was awesome, though it was tough to play at times due to the controls. I am so excited for this one, can't wait to hear more about it.

Mihos

Gold Member
I hope by adjectives having a bigger role, it means instead of just "Gun" I can type "BigAss Gun"

Jackson

Buy the NP mag when it comes out on shelves next week. :) Some things I can confirm from the article.

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.
-Yes, D-pad controls for Maxwell are in along with significantly improved stylus controls and camera is now fixed.
-Big updates to physics (it's still DS, but it's vastly improved).
-Levels are revamped completely improved (no more solving every level with rope/unicorn/death/etc), levels are deeper in content.
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).
-You can string adjectives together.

There's a lot more info in the NP article, buy it!

Haunted

Jackson said:
Buy the NP mag when it comes out on shelves next week. :) Some things I can confirm from the article.

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.
-Yes, D-pad controls for Maxwell are in along with significantly improved stylus controls and camera is now fixed.
-Levels are revamped completely improved (no more solving every level with rope/unicorn/death/etc), levels are deeper in content.
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).

:eek:

Gaborn

Jackson said:

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.

So:
Ok so this is what it is!

No adjectives. Just Objects. (minus copyright and vulgarity)

Bear? Yes. Giant Flaming Bear? No.

If you want to set a bear on fire, by writing torch and setting him on fire (assuming he doesn't eat you first), then yes.

Can we now confirm Giant Flaming Bear?

Polari

Lijik said:
At the end of Tim Burton's Alice Abomination the Mad Hatter randomly breaks out into dance and its the best part in the entire movie.

That's probably the worst gif I have ever seen.

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
Yay!

Jackson said:
-DS Only.
Okay!
Some day may you spread to Steam as well!

Jackson said:
I HUG YOU NOW.

Jackson said:

There's a lot more info in the NP article, buy it![/QUOTE]
Sounds good. :) I shall look forward to it!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
now tell me there is a psn/xbla version coming out and I'm all ears. :D

Jackson said:

Really DS-only, or 5th Cell is only developing the DS version, or "we're not ready to announce," or what?

Not that I expect much of an answer if it's not the first one, but that WBIE leak has been accurate thus far, and I would like to be able to play it with a keyboard and mouse.

Jackson

Father_Brain said:
Really DS-only, or 5th Cell is only developing the DS version, or "we're not ready to announce," or what?

Not that I expect much of an answer if it's not the first one, but that WBIE leak has been accurate thus far, and I would like to be able to play it with a keyboard and mouse.

DS only

Cow Mengde said:
Newest NP talked about the next Scribblenauts game. Here I was yesterday saying how people aren't talking about it because there no info on the sequel.

Honestly, I don't care for 10,000 more words. I would be happy if all they did was take the original 10,000 and add more properties to them. Like freaking lava couldn't melt ice.

My only other gripe are the controls and the level design. Improve these 3 and that's more than enough to make me happy.

Well guys, Im sure Jeremiah is going to come when he sees the title thread and explain some of the things, but I can say Ive been working in the design objects department and its been awesome. And yeah, adjectives work now. Some of the new objects are sure very cool.

Its funny I was hearing today the Gafcast and they said they wanted an improved Scribblenauts 2 but they were sure they were not going to listen to them :lol
Good I can talk about it now!

EDIT:
Well, I was beaten by the boss :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hell yeah!

The first game was great!

Hopefully I'll still be in the second game. =)

Edit: If you guys have a launch party on the East Coast, I'm there. =)

Blizzard

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Well guys, Im sure Jeremiah is going to come when he sees the title thread and explain some of the things, but I can say Ive been working in the design objects department and its been awesome. And yeah, adjectives work now. Some of the new objects are sure very cool.

Its funny I was hearing today the Gafcast and they said they wanted an improved Scribblenauts 2 but they were sure they were not going to listen to them :lol
Good I can talk about it now!
Jackson's already been here, and he says you've been a very, VERY naughty boy!
Just kidding, it's good to hear info from the inside!

Jackson said:

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.

Will do, bossman. Glad to see you guys hitting the sequel so soon!

WowBaby

Scribblenauts has been in the amazon.com top selling list of titles since release. Usually around 5th place, sometimes lower when a Nintendo title releases. It already sold over a million copies....And now the crown jewel Scribblenauts II.

This is good news. Hopefully they are going to implement all the fixes that the game requires.

The concept is excellent, it just needs some polishing.

Blizzard

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I concur!! Rooster Hat redux at Nintendo World? :p
EVERYONE STOP TAUNTING ME! Neither GameStop nor Jackson got me a preorder hat last time. They're probably running for $3000 apiece on eBay now. :lol

Top Bottom