• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts 2, bitches!

Its funny that Im working in the game and I want to see is screens of it :lol
Too bad they dont sell Nintendo Power here :(
Waiting for the mighty internets putting up scans.

The biggest problem with the game, as people said, was not the number of words. It was that you would write "drill" and the only thing the drill could do is act as a blunt object.

ShockingAlberto said:
The biggest problem with the game, as people said, was not the number of words. It was that you would write "drill" and the only thing the drill could do is act as a blunt object.

Oh god, yes.

Quality over quantity!!! Quality over quantity!!! Quality over quantity!!! Quality over quantity!!! Quality over quantity!!! Quality over quantity!!!

ShockingAlberto said:

This is a good point. Does "refined physics" just mean how objects react when you move them around, or does it mean greater attention to detail in their behavior?

Moobabe

Father_Brain said:
This is a good point. Does "refined physics" just mean how objects react when you move them around, or does it mean greater attention to detail in their behavior?

Or how they react with each other?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really hope by improved controls they don't mean they tried to make the touchscreen controls better, just outright give it the dpad and face buttons.

Moobabe

Papercuts said:
I really hope by improved controls they don't mean they tried to make the touchscreen controls better, just outright give it the dpad and face buttons.

It's already confirmed on page 1 that it has improved stylus controls AND dpad controls are in.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Buy the NP mag when it comes out on shelves next week. :) Some things I can confirm from the article.

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.
-Yes, D-pad controls for Maxwell are in along with significantly improved stylus controls and camera is now fixed.
-Big updates to physics (it's still DS, but it's vastly improved).
-Levels are revamped completely improved (no more solving every level with rope/unicorn/death/etc), levels are deeper in content.
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).
-You can string adjectives together.

There's a lot more info in the NP article, buy it!

Sir, you just made my day. :D

And 10,000 adjectives? Wow, I always thought there were more nouns than adjectives, guess not.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ShockingAlberto said:
Aside from the bad controls, pretty much this. Many items that should have a function were glorified paperweights.

-PXG-

Jackson said:
Buy the NP mag when it comes out on shelves next week. :) Some things I can confirm from the article.

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.
-Yes, D-pad controls for Maxwell are in along with significantly improved stylus controls and camera is now fixed.
-Levels are revamped completely improved (no more solving every level with rope/unicorn/death/etc), levels are deeper in content.
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).

- Yes
- YESSS!!!
- :lol
- O___O

I want screens. NOW! Has the art direction changed at all? Not saying I don't like Edy's work. Just wondering if you're doing anything...different...

For what it's worth, I'm guessing that the WBIE leak is still mostly accurate, but that Wii and PC are getting either a deluxe version of the original game or a spinoff instead of ports of the sequel. We shall see.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
WANT!

Only thing that slightly concerns me; how is the market going to respond? Yearly iterations are traditionally unsuccessful on Ninten....should I shut up now?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
As long as 5th Cell improves the controls and improve the level design, I'm all for the sequel. The controls were absolutely dreadful in the first game, really marred the experience. You can do it Big Boss!
Edit: Okay, looks like Jackson already posted that D-Pad controls are in. Well, I'm sold.
Cow Mengde said:
Oh and Jackson, Lock's Quest 2 please; with these improvements.

Better controls.

Faster camera scroll speed. I couldn't build in some of the larger levels fast enough because the camera wouldn't scroll to the location fast enough. It's rare, but it was especially annoying in the final battle.

Smarter weapon design - This one I need to go in-depth. Some of the weapons are too 1 dimensional. Like the one that fights off aerial enemies. They can only hit those and nothing else. Other games like this might have weapons more effective at X enemy, but can also help out in combat. Since the game's source limit means you can't build blindly, you end up not knowing whether you'll encounter flying enemies and end up not being able to do jack cause you didn't build it, or wasting source on a useless weapon.

Better source management - The gun mini-game was boring. You never know how much source you need, so it ends up being a chore to grind for source. You guys should just reset the source amount every level at a certain number you feel is enough, and have a bonus mini-game that'll increase the totals depending on how you do in the mini-game. The mini-game should also be limited so you can't go back and grind for more. Grind or no grind, the original gun mini-game got boring fast.
THIS. THIS!!! I'd love to see this happen Jackson. Don't let us down :(

trinest

Cow Mengde said:
Oh and Jackson, Lock's Quest 2 please; with these improvements.

Better controls.

Faster camera scroll speed. I couldn't build in some of the larger levels fast enough because the camera wouldn't scroll to the location fast enough. It's rare, but it was especially annoying in the final battle.

Smarter weapon design - This one I need to go in-depth. Some of the weapons are too 1 dimensional. Like the one that fights off aerial enemies. They can only hit those and nothing else. Other games like this might have weapons more effective at X enemy, but can also help out in combat. Since the game's source limit means you can't build blindly, you end up not knowing whether you'll encounter flying enemies and end up not being able to do jack cause you didn't build it, or wasting source on a useless weapon.

Better source management - The gun mini-game was boring. You never know how much source you need, so it ends up being a chore to grind for source. You guys should just reset the source amount every level at a certain number you feel is enough, and have a bonus mini-game that'll increase the totals depending on how you do in the mini-game. The mini-game should also be limited so you can't go back and grind for more. Grind or no grind, the original gun mini-game got boring fast.

Yeah Locks Quest would be way better then another Scribblenauts game :/
The hype train for Scribblenauts went toot toot toot then crash crash crash!

Feep

Banned
Dina said:
Are you assholes gonna hype this shit through the roof again? Let's not foam over an E3 users post and avatars made for each other.
Yeah, I have to draft up a new post, don't I?

Jme

Jackson said:
-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.

Where can I pre-order this right now?

Linkup

Scribblenauts felt like a tech demo wrapped up as a retail product, didn't enjoy "playing" this one at all.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Scribblenauts was one of the better original ideas for a game I've seen in a long time. It got overhyped thanks to being an incredible demo game. Even though it wasn't a great final product I'm stoked that these guys are giving it another shot. Hopefully they take the feedback and make the game people were hoping for.

Forkball

I didn't think the controls were that bad. They were mostly designed to touch where you wanted Maxwell to go, not to drag him across the screen. But Maxwell did get a bit finicky and kill himself every now and then. It's nice to see that they are addressing the problem.

I enjoyed the first game, but I thought that the levels were way too easy and they could easily be solved with either a rope, pterodactyl, or an invincible monster. Nice to see Jackson confirm that puzzles will be a bit more difficult this time.

Also, the Nintendo Power cover has a few interesting things, such as a spikey fridge and a striped pirate elephant. It will be interesting to see how adjectives will be utilized.
tumblr_kyvjfdXBi21qzp9weo1_1280.jpg

Forkball said:
I didn't think the controls were that bad. They were mostly designed to touch where you wanted Maxwell to go, not to drag him across the screen. But Maxwell did get a bit finicky and kill himself every now and then. It's nice to see that they are addressing the problem.

I enjoyed the first game, but I thought that the levels were way too easy and they could easily be solved with either a rope, pterodactyl, or an invincible monster. Nice to see Jackson confirm that puzzles will be a bit more difficult this time.

Also, the Nintendo Power cover has a few interesting things, such as a spikey fridge and a striped pirate elephant. It will be interesting to see how adjectives will be utilized.
2nj8wt0.jpg
Fixed.
WOW, that cover is awesome, they told us Edy did a magnificent cover art, but this is just lovely.

EDIT! He put his signature hide in the cube between the tress. :lol

Improved controls, fixed camera, and better physics are a huge plus. Adjectives too.

I'm not gonna lie, I got the game as a gift, then I got a DSi as a gift, but after the first world I felt absolutely no motivation to continue with Maxwell's tendency to flip out and cause shit to start flying all over because I'm trying to get it to do something cool (which I'll eventually discover doesn't work anyway).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The first game really did feel like a proof of concept, it seemed like it could have really used another six months or so of development. Well, looks like now it got a year.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The first one had me hyped big time, only to leave me very disappointed in the execution...ala Phantom Menace. Lets hope this sequel is more of an Empire Strikes Back, not an Attack of the Clones.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Spider from Mars said:
The first one had me hyped big time, only to leave me very disappointed in the execution...ala Phantom Menace. Lets hope this sequel is more of an Empire Strikes Back, not an Attack of the Clones.

Same. I bought the original Day 1 only to end up selling it. This time I'll wait for reviews/GAF impressions before picking it up.

seady

ShockingAlberto said:

I think they should just forget about putting more words into the game (well, nouns at least). There is no point for putting effort there at all. It's like adding more words into a dictionary that people don't bother to learn through all of them. They will only use the same few words they already know.

First game was quantity over quality. Now they need to work on the latter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Goddamnit Jackson I cant afford to keep buying these games.

Remember the original Scribblenauts had a years worth of development time. The sequel has surely been in the works since the original launched, and now its had a pretty big foundation to build from. All of the problems I had with the game stemmed from its lack of a real polish cycle, which I'm sure will be mostly fixed this time around.

I also think the internet will collectively not hype the game up like it did last time, haha. I think the hype reached levels even 5TH Cell was worried about

Hylian7

Perhaps they should call it "Scribblenauts 2: The Invasion of Good Controls".

In all seriousness though, the biggest glaring flaw of the first one was the controls, otherwise, I liked the game and enjoyed it. Now I can't want to see the controls fixed for the second one.

reddmyst

i bought and finished the first one a month ago (yeah lttp and all that) and now the 2nd one is announced, cool : )

Monocle

Hell yes, I'm on board. Assuming the implementation of the listed improvements is comprehensive, Scribblenauts 2 could be everything I wanted the original game to be.

ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah this was pretty bad. I see a giant wall of dirt, and I instantly want to get some giant anime-style drill that's like a giant cone on Robotnik's car or something.
Instead this tiny power drill spawns and I can like... throw it at the wall, I guess.

My brother picked up the game and immediately tried to tie himself to a cannonball, stick it into a cannon, and launch himself to a starite.

There's no way to load a cannonball into a cannon, it just shoots infinite cannonballs that it spawns.

Harpuia

EmCeeGramr said:
My brother picked up the game and immediately tried to tie himself to a cannonball, stick it into a cannon, and launch himself to a starite. There's no way to load a cannonball into a cannon, it just shoots infinite cannonballs that it spawns.

These kinda things are what I was expecting to do. I tried to toast bread in a toaster, by typing in toaster and bread. All I could do is make the toaster spit loafs of bread. :/

Top Bottom