• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts 2, bitches!

jrricky

Banned
Jackson said:
Buy the NP mag when it comes out on shelves next week. :) Some things I can confirm from the article.

-Developed by 5TH Cell.
-DS Only.
-Out this Fall.
-Yes, D-pad controls for Maxwell are in along with significantly improved stylus controls and camera is now fixed.
-Big updates to physics (it's still DS, but it's vastly improved).
-Levels are revamped completely improved (no more solving every level with rope/unicorn/death/etc), levels are deeper in content.
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).
-You can string adjectives together.

There's a lot more info in the NP article, buy it!
:O. Hey Jeremiah, tell me more...

I should come visit you guys this summer to see what you are up to... >_>

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seriously Jeremiah point me to where you want me to preorder this thing most and then they get my money.

FStop7

Banned
Fumetsu said:
The novelty of the first wore off quite quickly.
I know it is blasphemous to say that here where there were avatars all over the place being done in the Scribble style and whatnot but it is just my opinion.
I do think the potential for the second to improve on the first is there so I will definitely keep this on my radar.

I agree. It was the most disappointing game of 2009 for me. The hype meter was off the charts.

Mik2121

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Perfect control set up for me: D-Pad (and only D-Pad) moves Maxwell. Buttons pan camera around level. Stylus interacts with objects.
Wouldn't it be better to have something like:

D-Pad = Move Maxwell
X + D-Pad = Pan camera
A = Jump
Stylus = Interact with objects
'whatever it was in the first game' = Pop up window to write new objects

Or something like that?

-------------------------------------------

Also, Jason, remember to add a left-handed mode so us left-handed people can move Maxwell with A B Y X and use the stylus with the left, plz :)

Rebochan

If it has better controls and a stronger dictionary, I am all set for another round of this.

And alcohol, dangit. That was such a stupid censored word set.

I can't wait. I'm already tripping on the hype train's tracks. Fall can't come soon enough.

I'll be camping out on the front porch waiting for my NP to come in the mail.

shaowebb

I only want 2 things.

1. Make maxwell controlled by the D-pad and NOT the stylus. I got so tired of his sketchy behaviour failing me.

2. Allow me to fire myself and other things from Catapults, Cannons, and trebuchets. I was so sad that I could not find any objects that would launch or fire me or my creations at anything.

Okay 3...

3. Make the word "dulcimer" actually deliver a dulcimer. I typed that and got a baby grand piano. WTF?

But I gotta admit the adjectives are gonna be sweet.

For me Scribblenauts was a one time experience. I loved the idea, loved the game, but it was enough. Writing the answer in the final level was so awesome. All those movie levels were awesome. Great game with some great moments. But it's done. Another 100 levels (or whatever number of levels they're going to put into the game), even with better controls, won't do it for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Notorious_Roy said:
For me Scribblenauts was a one time experience. I loved the idea, loved the game, but it was enough. Writing the answer in the final level was so awesome. All those movie levels were awesome. Great game with some great moments. But it's done. Another 100 levels (or whatever number of levels they're going to put into the game), even with better controls, won't do it for me.

Did you actually read about the other things being added or what?

thomasos

Caddywompus said:
I can't wait. I'm already tripping on the hype train's tracks. Fall can't come soon enough.

I'll be camping out on the front porch waiting for my NP to come in the mail.

Most subscribers should be getting the issue this week, and it hits newsstands the week after. By the way, 5th Cell was awesome enough to create two completely different covers for us--the one posted in this thread is exclusive to subscribers and the other is for newsstands.

sinxtanx

So if I can string adjectives together, will I be able to summon "Large Angry Monkey" and "Poisoned Banana" then watch them both disappear?

Okay, this is friggin' awesome. Scribblenauts was great. Expanded puzzles sound great. No idea how they'll work, but that's why Jackson is the creative head, and I'm posting on GAF.

As for Lock's Quest, the ONLY thing that sucked in that game was the time limit during the build phase. Would love a Lock's Quest 2, but no time limit on building. If I want to spend 10 minutes building a fort, let me. There was already a limitation on building, which was the "money" in the game.

The time limit only made me rush to build my tower defense, which ended up making me mistakenly place pieces on the wrong squares with the stylus. So have a set amount of "money" per level, and let me use that money to build whatever I want until I decide I'm done.

Versipellis said:
So, the artists are going to be back in the house and begin drawing Scribbletars for GAFfers again?

:lol :lol :lol
Lets wait some months before that, theres still lot of work to be done with the real game.
But then I hope to have some time to draw some scribbeltars! ;)

It would be awesome if this game pulled a Pokemon and added 10,000 new words but took out the original words.

As for Lock's Quest, the ONLY thing that sucked in that game was the time limit during the build phase. Would love a Lock's Quest 2, but no time limit on building. If I want to spend 10 minutes building a fort, let me. There was already a limitation on building, which was the "money" in the game.
The concept itself was a bit underwhelming with how much micromanagement your avatar had to do manually. I mean, it was fine in the sense that that *was* the game, but I don't really feel a need to play something like that again.

Diglet

Neo Member
I was reading the np article and it was pretty awesome.

I have a question. Do the adjectives work for all words? Can you have a pirate toaster? A decapitated toaster?

Pretty cool story, great pictures, I hope that the levels are really long though. LIke a real adventure and not a 1 minute thing.

theluma

Bentendo said:
Yeah. It was the obligatory children's movie dance scene.

P.S.: I keed. I actually enjoyed the movie.

When it started I groaned but they actually kept it nice and short. And yeah the film was awesome.

Spwn

Really looking forward to this as I was very hyped when the first one was coming, but never bought it after reading about all the flaws it had. I hope the controls and the way the objects interact with each other are improved, because then it is a must-buy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll wait and see. The first title was overly hyped, and the controls were ridiculous. The title screen might as well have been a $10 DSiWare title and I would have enjoyed it more.

Jackson said:
-The 10,000 words refers to adjectives, we didn't add 10,000 new objects, we put in 10,000 new adjectives (we put in some new words too).
I probably wouldn't have guessed there were 10,000 adjectives to be had in the language.

Being able to use adjectives reminds me that one beef I had with the original was I'd sometimes attempt a compound word, and it would just go with the last word and ignore the rest without me being aware.

I can't believe I missed this post.

I'm guessing the spikey fidge on the NP cover is an example of this? Awesome!

Cow Mengde said:
I can't believe I missed this post.

I'm guessing the spikey fidge on the NP cover is an example of this? Awesome!

Yeah, looking over that cover we can probably make a few inferences...

-Striped elephant
-Spotted hippo
-Metal carrot
-Spiked fridge
-Pirate elephant

Neat stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Adjectives are cool, but meaningful interaction is where its at, Jackson my man. let me combine drill, screw, and two boards to attach them.

I know I said I wasn't going to be hyped for this, and how I was going to wait for gaf impressions before buying, but I think I have to retract that statement.

Adjectives?! Day one.

SirPenguin said:
Yeah, looking over that cover we can probably make a few inferences...

-Striped elephant
-Spotted hippo
-Metal carrot
-Spiked fridge
-Pirate elephant

Neat stuff.

That's great and all but what's the point? What makes a striped elephant any different than a pirate elephant and why would I choose to write that instead of just elephant? Interaction in the first game was novel at best and non-existent at other times. Physics were decent, but accomplishing even the simplest tasks (making Maxwell jump over a pit, attaching a rope to anything) caused more difficulty than the levels themselves. Why did almost every level require me to give wings or a jetpack to Maxwell? Nothing really worked like it was supposed to which completely killed the "write anything" nature of the game for me.

It's gonna take a lot more than internet memes and "do anything" promises to hype me up for this, it's gonna take gameplay that's actually fun. I hate to sound so negative, especially with the developers here, but I got burnt on the hype for the first one and that's not going to happen again.

Adjectives?! Day one.

This is exactly the kind of hype before the first game I was talking about. Until I see proof that the base game is substantially improved no amount of new words or gimmicks is going to excite me.

jrricky

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
:lol :lol :lol
Lets wait some months before that, theres still lot of work to be done with the real game.
But then I hope to have some time to draw some scribbeltars! ;)
Edy, is that you?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
BuddhaRockstar said:
Nothing really worked like it was supposed to which completely killed the "write anything" nature of the game for me.
It's gonna take a lot more than internet memes and "do anything" promises to hype me up for this, it's gonna take gameplay that's actually fun. I hate to sound so negative, especially with the developers here, but I got burnt on the hype for the first one and that's not going to happen again.

Amen, came in here to actually post this... so I will.

Ok, controls improvementes aside (goes without saying how broken they were), I really wish they'll give the game the competent level design it deserves. Game was awful at times because the playable area was too restricted, everything was cramped in a tiny little level and terrible collisions' detection didn't do much to hide that and, again, the unfriendly "skatey" controls. The "cardboard" style looks indeed awesome, but plays just awfully: retain the style but for the love of god drop the way it's handled, since it plays as stiff as the characters' look. Hopefully 5Th Cell will get on it, but (in my book) for the game part of SN to work it'd need some serious rethinking from its foundation: I'm not sure 5th Cell will give the first game's detractors that much credit, but maybe they'll be humble enough to at least try and approach the idea from a different angle. I mean, Scribblenauts' always had a fantastic idea behind it, but poorly executed in too many ways and it ended fucking up everything that was lovalbe about it (and I really like 5th Cell other games too). For its state it was really more of a marvelous demo and sandbox experience than a good game. If there's one thing the developer's pedigree shows, is that they've everything they need to make Scribblen2 heaps and bounds better than the first game. Bu they need the right approach to do that, instead of resting on SN1's sales laurels.

2im56yh.jpg

Drakken

I was super hyped about the first game, but unfortunately I found it got old quickly. One of those concepts that sounds amazing but isn't quite as good as you expect it to be. To me Scribblenauts seems like the type of game that's most fun to play with other people, with everyone throwing out names of objects to write and enjoying watching the results together. As a solo game it's not the same. That's why I was hoping for a Wii version. I wish there was some kind of cable to output a DS's video to a TV/monitor.

Still, good news, sounds like they're making some welcome changes. The addition of adjectives should really spice things up.

Honestly I think the DS is kind of holding back the ambition of this game a little bit. It would be great to have the whole level in view on one big screen screen and then the blocky art style would be okay instead of filling up the small screen space with giant rectangular people. Also effects could be improved too, nothing felt like it had any substance when it just poofed away in a cloud of smoke after being shot/burned/blownup/chopped, etc.

Kusagari

Sorry but I refuse to believe. I've never enjoyed a 5th Cell game because they all have horrible controls. Scribblenauts was the last straw.

Dash Kappei said:
Game was awful at times because the playable area was too restricted, everything was cramped in a tiny little level and terrible collisions' detection didn't do much to hide that

Part of the issue is that the levels had to be cramped. Giving the player an infinite amount of space meant that any plane, tank, or submarine could be used to achieve the objective.

But if a plane couldn't fit the space, you had to pick a different item. Limiting the space was a clever way to limit which items a player could use. Otherwise, there would be no challenge at all.

BuddhaRockstar said:
That's great and all but what's the point? What makes a striped elephant any different than a pirate elephant and why would I choose to write that instead of just elephant?

Well I imagine this'll come into play for the puzzles in some way (though who knows how), and I think it's a given certain adjectives will allow items to inherit properties (a spiked fridge hurts, etc.). I dunno, we shall see. I imagine come E3 we'll understand why they are important.

I do hope "Sir" can be seen as an adjective, so that I can FINALLY have a proper Sir Penguin :lol

I never really bought into the Scribblenauts hype, and I got what I expected - a serviceable game.

...Well, almost. The controls were complete bollocks. If they're going to be fixing the controls, I'll be there.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Interesting, I could have sworn that 5th Cell were done with the DS and were moving on to other platforms, such as XBLA.
I'm guessing Scribblenauts did really well, then?
I too feel that the original was more potential than execution. Here's hoping this new take on Scribblenauts fulfills that potential.

Top Bottom