• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts 2, bitches!

SirPenguin said:
Well I imagine this'll come into play for the puzzles in some way (though who knows how), and I think it's a given certain adjectives will allow items to inherit properties (a spiked fridge hurts, etc.). I dunno, we shall see. I imagine come E3 we'll understand why they are important.

I do hope "Sir" can be seen as an adjective, so that I can FINALLY have a proper Sir Penguin :lol

Or sticking a fridge to the side of a wall will no longer require glue + fridge; just write spike fridge and toss it at a wall and it'll stay stuck on the wall.

Lovechild

Neo Member
BuddhaRockstar said:
That's great and all but what's the point? What makes a striped elephant any different than a pirate elephant and why would I choose to write that instead of just elephant?

SirPenguin said:
Well I imagine this'll come into play for the puzzles in some way (though who knows how), and I think it's a given certain adjectives will allow items to inherit properties (a spiked fridge hurts, etc.).

I think you're thinking of the term "adjective" too narrowly. Yeah, who cares if you can change an object's physical attributes with an adjective like "striped"? Instead, think of adjectives like "angry", "hungry" or "scared" and we are in business with something as exciting as the first Scribblenauts! And if they indeed do correct the original's flawed controls (and physics and level design) this might be what we all thought Scribblenauts was going to be.

Sagitario

i2rshs.jpg

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — [pauses] - shame on you. Fool me — You can't get fooled again.

So, I guess I wont be getting the Scribblenauts 2...

Just went back and played the original last night to make sure my criticisms weren't unfounded. Honestly I have more fun on the start screen than anywhere in the game. My biggest gripe has got to be that interaction is just so basic. I mean there is awesome stuff in the game, you can spawn a cow, a butcher and a oven. The butcher will kill the cow, and you can place the meat on the oven, it will cook the meat into a steak and then the butcher will eat the meat. That is really cool. But then when you spawn an Otaku and he has no interest in anime or magna there's a fundamental gap there and it really takes you out of the fantasy that you can "do anything". Honestly, I'd rather have less words and more interaction between objects. Also, the combat between characters really needs to go beyond both characters randomly flailing until one disappears. Actual gamewise, I found the puzzle levels were infinitely better than the action ones.

Jackson

Mejilan said:
Interesting, I could have sworn that 5th Cell were done with the DS and were moving on to other platforms, such as XBLA.
I'm guessing Scribblenauts did really well, then?
I too feel that the original was more potential than execution. Here's hoping this new take on Scribblenauts fulfills that potential.

Actually, I said, Scribblenauts was the last effort on original development for the DS from us. We'd be focusing new ideas on console for now.

SirPenguin said:
Scribblenauts 2 PR statement was released today. Makes me think we'll see something from them at GDC.

Nope.

Yeah, uh. I'm not going to get hyped about this until I hear about and/or test these new controls. The last game was pretty much destroyed by the horrible, horrible controls.

Diglet

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Actually, I said, Scribblenauts was the last effort on original development for the DS from us. We'd be focusing new ideas on console for now.

Does that mean you are going to Wii? Or are you going to xbox/ps3

I dunno why you would stop with the ds though, you guys seem to be doing well enough.

WowBaby

That NP article is pretty loaded. It has 6 pages worth of very interesting info. Can't wait to use the clone gun.

Jackson

Diglet said:
Does that mean you are going to Wii? Or are you going to xbox/ps3

I dunno why you would stop with the ds though, you guys seem to be doing well enough.

Doing a totally new XBLA game right now. Just because we're doing great on the DS doesn't mean we can't do great on another platform. :)

We've gotten where we are from taking chances, not from playing it safe.

Jackson said:
Doing a totally new XBLA game right now. Just because we're doing great on the DS doesn't mean we can't do great on another platform. :)

We've gotten where we are from taking chances, not from playing it safe.

Was there a reason for choosing XBLA over Wiiware/PSN? Or is that just the what the title will be originally released on, with possible ports to the other consoles later?

I'd hate to not be able to play something from 5th Cell after all the DS love.

Jackson said:
NP253_Cover.png

Newsstand version.

I guess no one seems to have noticed that the game is not actually titled Scribblenauts 2, at least not officially - it doesn't have an actual title yet. Maybe it'll be Scribblenauts with a subtitle?

Jackson

Father_Brain said:
I guess no one seems to have noticed that the game is not actually titled Scribblenauts 2, at least not officially - it doesn't have an actual title yet. Maybe it'll be Scribblenauts with a subtitle?

Hmmm.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jackson said:
For someone who didn't buy the first one and won't buy the second one, you come into Scrib threads a lot.

If anything I've become a stalker of you, Mr. Jackson. You intrigue me a great bit. :)

ITA84

Father_Brain said:

Scribblenauts: Adjectives Unleashed!

...naw, that's so 2009.

I liked the game, but got bored halfway through. I guess I lack imagination ^^

Regarding the controls: Play Boing! Docomodake. It absolutely nails the mix between D-pad and stylus, and it's ambidextrous, too. Left and right moves you, up jumps, and down and L do miscellaneous stuff. I think L would be good for a fire button if Maxwell has a gun, and down would make him reach down to pick up an object if there's one nearby.

Overall I think the first game was very good and the haters are kind of overreacting. It seems like the type of game where it takes a few iterations to really hit its groove. Adding adjectives pretty much requires improving the number of properties an object has, which in turn should improve interactions. I hope these continue to get enough sales to justify further refinements in the sequels. I'll continue buying them and wasting hours screwing around with them.

Edit:
Andrex said:
If anything I've become a stalker of you, Mr. Jackson. You intrigue me a great bit. :)

This sounds like something out of a bad spy novel. You do realize he isn't actually Jack Bauer?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
This sounds like something out of a bad spy novel. You do realize he isn't actually Jack Bauer?

No duh. He's Jeremiah Slaczka (AFAIK.) Wouldn't be much of a stalker if I didn't know something like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All you have to do is click on his tag to know that -_-

Hey, I'll buy an extra copy of Scribblenauts: Electric Thesaurus if I can't get Andrex to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Read the NP article. You're handsomer than I thought you'd be Jackson.
nohomo

Cautiously optimistic about this game now. The wedding scenario seems like something the first game could have benefited from.

Wonder what adjectives will be best used on NeoGAF. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Andrex said:
Read the NP article. You're handsomer than I thought you'd be Jackson.
nohomo

Cautiously optimistic about this game now. The wedding scenario seems like something the first game could have benefited from.

Wonder what adjectives will be best used on NeoGAF. :p
After this post, I'm guessing creepy.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Father_Brain said:

Based on that NP cover, I'd venture to say it's Winged Scribbles.

Oh, and Pirate elephant!!

So excited for this game.

If only there could be a Scribblenautized Galactic Fork.

They should be clever and add a prefix to the name to reflect the new adjectives. Of course that would probably not make any sense, but who cares!

I keep meaning to look for this damn magazine when I go to the grocery store but I always forget.

Some new information from the new nintendo power,

featuring Scribblenauts 2 (DS), Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), WarioWare DIY (DS), New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)

Not that anybody listened to what I said, but I considered Scribblenauts a massive disappointment. While the core functionality – spell it and it appears – was amazing, the actual game sort of sucked. Controlling Maxwell was abysmal, leading to ridiculous, obnoxious deaths. The snapping camera was terrible, also leading to ridiculous, obnoxious deaths. The “par” mode for the levels rewarded simplistic solutions, rather than encouraging creativity. But Scribblenauts quickly became one of those games that you dare not criticize because it represented a bold new vision and gave new life to the DS in non-kiddie circles.

Unless, of course, you are the developer. Then you can criticize the first installment and, more importantly, fix what went wrong.

This is all very good news, as it promises to raise an incredible concept apart from the serious flaws that ruined it.

Scribblenauts 2 (which does not yet have an official title) has two ways to control Maxwell – d-pad AND touch screen – whereas the first game only has a dastardly touch screen option. This is all I needed to hear: “…you can move Maxwell directly via the Control Pad while using the touch screen to move the camera and interact with objects.” Well, duh.

The camera will no longer snap back to Max after a few seconds. Nintendo Power points out how “annoying” this was in the first game, but I don’t recall that affecting the game’s 9-out-of-10 score. Objects now have improved physics and weight, plus you can attach ropes to any part of an object rather than certain pre-selected vertices.

The par system is out and a lot more post-level merits (sort of like Achievements) are in. The level editor is back and cleaned up. And while the game only has 120 levels – compared to 220 in the first – the new levels are more complex and less regimented into types of action vs puzzle boards.

That’s all fixing what came before. Scribblenauts 2, however, has a very big trick up its sleeve: 10,000 adjectives. The original game has 10,000 nouns (which return in the sequel, plus more!) that you can now modify with words like “fiery,” “supersonic” and “magnetic.” Take a look at this poor cow:

How long until we can solve Scribblenauts puzzles by writing complete sentences?

Seems like I no longer have anything to complain about. Scribblenauts 1 sold a million copies, but #2 is going to be the one to get.

cow-nauts.jpg

Forkball

Thank god they got rid of the camera snapping back. That frustrated me more than anything in the game.

And the title should be Super Scribblenauts II: Hyper Writing.

BooJoh

I hate to make comparisons, but I recently got LittleBigPlanet for PSP, and couldn't help but think that the physics and platforming in that feel like what Scribblenauts should've.

I'm looking forward to the sequel though. I really enjoyed the first (though I didn't finish the action levels) but it definitely needed a little more time in the oven. I spent hours on the title screen before I even played the game... unlocked all the backgrounds and caused all sorts of mayhem.

I'd love to see the ability to create custom characters to play as or summon by choosing face/hairstyle/hair color/clothes/accessories, etc...

Here's hoping I get an obese, petrified, burning, robotic, striped rooster hat for preordering.

selig

Banned
I hope there´ll be a Scribblenauts 3, focusing on adding brand names, making the game cost 1000$ a copy.... :/

If they fix the controls I'll probably give this a purchase.

The first game had a very interesting concept but the controls ruined it. The controls were really the only thing holding it back from being a good game.

Haunted

It really looks like Scribs 2 could be the game Scribs 1 wanted to be. Hope this'll work out for you guys over at 5th Cell. :)

The camera will no longer snap back to Max after a few seconds. Nintendo Power points out how “annoying” this was in the first game, but I don’t recall that affecting the game’s 9-out-of-10 score.
haha

Objects now have improved physics and weight, plus you can attach ropes to any part of an object rather than certain pre-selected vertices.

oh thank god

I hope attaching ropes to things isn't as finicky as it was in the first game. That stuff was a nightmare, things flipping out and ropes stuck in midair with giant red Xs on them when it looked like it should have connected just fine.

WowBaby

Scribblenauts 2 is available for pre-order at Amazon for $29.99 with release date of 10/26/2010 release date.

Gamestop has it for 10/01/2010.

Jackson

WowBaby said:
Scribblenauts 2 is available for pre-order at Amazon for $29.99 with release date of 10/26/2010 release date.

Gamestop has it for 10/01/2010.

I don't even know the release date yet... :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hey Jackson.

Scribblenauts was rad. Scribblenauts 2 sounds cool. Ima gonna buy it! Woop Woop!

Thanks for games.

- EatChildren

PS: Make a Wii game. Thanks!

I LOVED the first game and bought it day 1 because of the hype and innovation, yes the controls did not always work 100% but still LOVE the game.
If the 2nd is even better why wouldn't I buy it.

WII49.pre_scrib.big--article_image.jpg

- more fleshed out level editor
- “We don’t want to tell you how to use adjectives in puzzles, we want you to use them in unique ways! Instead of just using an object, why not try adding a few adjectives? Scribblenauts is all about imagination and creativity and the freedom to play the way you want.”
- “This was a problem with action levels where players would mainly get from point A to point B and fight enemies. However, with puzzle levels the solution was specific to the level itself. This time around, instead of splitting the game between puzzle and action, we’re focused mainly on puzzles. Writing ‘jetpack’ isn’t going to help if your objective is to help a pit crew repair a car for an F1 team.”
- puzzle example: Get Maxwell through a midnight game launch line, with customers such as a barbarian, a rock star and a witch waiting to get in.
- program objectives and win conditions in the level editor
- Cloning Machine: “Put a cat in it and it won’t give you another cat, it’ll give you a cloned cat!”
- Create-A-Tron: “It’s one of the level set-ups. You have this crazy machine that you put ingredient-like stuff into and when you’ve put enough of the right stuff in it’ll spit out the end result. For example, there’s a level where it asks you to make a werewolf, without writing werewolf of course. What would you put in there to make a werewolf?”

More info here.
http://www.gamesradar.com/ds/scribb.../a-2010042911191908095/g-20100308151857358072

Cyndar

Neo Member
This looks fantastic. 5th Cell clearly shows it knows how to learn from its mistakes and build on its successes.

On a more personal note, I'm moving to Washington once I leave college. I'm coming for ya, Jackson! (Or at least for a job.)

Top Bottom