• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

BTA

Just bought a cord and that $16 64 GB card. I figure I won't buy too much digitally so by the time it matters, the bigger cards should be a bit cheaper anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just bought a cord and that $16 64 GB card. I figure I won't buy too much digitally so by the time it matters, the bigger cards should be a bit cheaper anyway.

given the price of most 64GB cards, yeah it's a great beginner card. it's very possible you can go the entire lifespan of the Switch without needing more if you are primarily cartridge based. Hope it works out!

I sprang for the 128GB Samsung EVO Select though, just to be safe. A nice happy medium, IMO if you don't want to spend a lot more on the 200 or 256GB cards. I think it's very unlikely I will ever need more than 128GB on this system. Particularly when you remember it isn't your only storage... you have about 25GB of free space on the Switch's internal memory, too.

mrk8885

Banned
My new macbook pro charges with USB C, so I fully intend to use that as my on-the-go charger (almost always have my computer with me) unless I read otherwise at launch.

Amazon Logistics.
Reading a GAF thread right now about them. Are they like an Uber type deal then?

Hope they deliver my Switch at 8am too. That'd be fucking great. UPS, FedEx, and USPS don't show up until like 4pm here.

Edit: Oh wow, reading Amazon's page for it now. I guess it is. That's neat. Don't steal my Switch please.

With the SD cards, it's better to just pay a little bit more and get something with better write speeds than more storage IMO. Some of the cards listed here have abysmal write speeds and while it's hard to say how much it will effect downloads and installations, I would take faster write speeds with a higher price any day of the week.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
would this be safe to use with the switch?

I have no way to know but seems to have the right voltage and amps(5V/3A) according to some, and others recommended it.

I ordered a version with C Charger which just got delivered today for $63. This deal hit just now.. my luck. Lol.

PSA:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IFIJW8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lightning deal $35.99
RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger QC 3.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Input & Output, USB C / Type-C Port Power Bank, Backwards Compatibility, for Note 5 / 4, Nexus 6 and More

Welp, wasn't planning on buying a battery right away but need some sort of charging solution for the Switch, so...

Also got this wall charger that supports quick charge since the battery doesn't come with one. No idea why it shows a picture with an EU-style plug, I've had that one on my wishlist for a few weeks and it showed a US plug before so I guess Amazon's just glitching.

Yes, it should be. Just get a USB C to C cable to use and not a USB A to C since those can be risky, plus a C to C cable will charge it faster anyway.

How is USB A to USB C risky? Just buy something from a reputable seller. There's a whole list of reputable cables.

[This list is from Benson Leung a google engineer that reports on what USB C cables are actually safe to use with your devices](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit#gid=0)

Stick to that and you're good. I think there's even a site that posts them as a amazon link.

Even so, you're getting slower charging speeds and why get a battery with a USB-C port if you're not going to take advantage of it?

I got the Google Pixel phone few months ago and the I think Google USB C cable is one of the highest quality cables I've ever had. A bit expensive at $25 for 1 meter of cable but amazing quality.

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_usb_type_a

Does the switch support USB C Power Delivery charging?
Also their universal type-c charger with power delivery that extends to 12 feet.

it's a 60W charger. Not sure what the Switch's is.

https://store.google.com/product/universal_type_c_60w_charger

Is there a reason you wouldn't opt for the C to C?

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_18w_power_adapter?sku=_usb_type_c_18w_power_adapter

Also, would that be enough to charge the switch? What type of V/A is the sweet spot?

I recall my Surface 3 needing a beefier USB charger to charge that thing.

TI82

Banned
Even so, you're getting slower charging speeds and why get a battery with a USB-C port if you're not going to take advantage of it?

Well yeah, but it would also be nice to have cables that can charge from everything else currently on the market. Slowly introduce USB-C but still have USB A to C. Take it from a launch nexus 6p owner :)

Is there a reason you wouldn't opt for the C to C?

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_18w_power_adapter?sku=_usb_type_c_18w_power_adapter

Also, would that be enough to charge the switch? What type of V/A is the sweet spot?

I recall my Surface 3 needing a beefier USB charger to charge that thing.

Actually C to C is better if it supports Type-C Power Delivery charging. I use that for my phone.

I'm not sure about the adapter, that's why I didn't list it but I listed the beefier 60W charger instead. Maybe we'll have to wait for more info to decide which charger to get.

Updated OP with my personal pre-Switch purchases.

- iOrange 10ft USB C to A
- 2 Anker wall units (one for iOrange cord another for the USB C to A included with the Pro Controller
- 200GB SanDisk microSDXC card

KRFJIlg.jpg
Do you have a link to those Anker wall units?

Also, is the jury still out on a safe/acceptable battery pack? I've gone through the thread a few times and can't tell if the one provided in the OP has been agreed upon as acceptable.

holy shit less than two weeks you guys

atbigelow

It'll be safe, but it is very unlikely the Switch will charge quickly with it. Qualcomm Quick Charging 3.0 and below are not charging standards and are only supported on Qualcomm chips (which the Switch isn't using).

Something with USB Power Delivery is what you want to find for the fastest charge rate. Depending on draw, you might not be able to keep the Switch from dying with slow charging. Only delaying the inevitable.

JimPanzer

would a wall unit with these specifications be ok for the tablet?

10W USB Power Adapter
Input: 100-240V ~0.45A 50/60Hz
Output 5.1V - 2.1A

Do you have a link to those Anker wall units?

Also, is the jury still out on a safe/acceptable battery pack? I've gone through the thread a few times and can't tell if the one provided in the OP has been agreed upon as acceptable.

holy shit less than two weeks you guys

Hey! Here are the Anker wall units. They were from the approved Benson list.

[Upgraded] Anker 2-Port 24W USB Wall Charger PowerPort 2 with PowerIQ for iPhone 7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S Series, Note Series, LG, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LCDT7FC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

jts

...hate me...
would a wall unit with these specifications be ok for the tablet?

10W USB Power Adapter
Input: 100-240V ~0.45A 50/60Hz
Output 5.1V - 2.1A
Looks a bit on the short side, but better than a regular 5W.

My question is if these wattages will still charge the Switch slowly when off/standby, and also slow down the battery drain when in use, or just not work at all?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It'll be safe, but it is very unlikely the Switch will charge quickly with it. Qualcomm Quick Charging 3.0 and below are not charging standards and are only supported on Qualcomm chips (which the Switch isn't using).

Something with USB Power Delivery is what you want to find for the fastest charge rate. Depending on draw, you might not be able to keep the Switch from dying with slow charging. Only delaying the inevitable.
Thank you for the detailed information

Illucio

Banned
Any deals for a 200gb Micro SD card? Cheapest I see is $70 on Amazon.

The $70 one everyone is buying is the Sandisk Ultra 200GB can be bought at Walmart for $73, but there is a 15% off discount available to knock it down to $65 with free 2 day shipping.

Cheapest I've found.

Crayon

Related to accessory shopping... can anyone recommend an hdmi switcher on amazon? Is it ever recommended? Lag? I'm going to need one for switch and I've never learned anything about them.

The Switch uses PD in docked mode, the official AC adapter is I think 40W or so, but people have done the math based off the ~4300mah battery capacity and 2.5 hour minimum life and anything over 2A should be good for charging in portable mode. So charging off a USB-A port at 2.4A should be fine, but charging at 3A over USB-C would be better. This isn't a laptop like the new MacBook were talking about here, it's much more in line with tablet specs when in portable mode.

You're right that the quick charge port won't do the Switch any good though, but it still has the normal USB-C port at 3A.

jts

...hate me...
Any chance the Switch will kick up the performance to "docked mode" when being portable but charging at 3A/40W and the battery is at 100%?

Don't see why it couldn't.

Theonik

Any chance the Switch will kick up the performance to "docked mode" when being portable but charging at 3A/40W and the battery is at 100%?

Don't see why it couldn't.
It could if Nintendo wanted but I don't think they will do this. The extra heat might be uncomfortable and the dock will have proprietary hardware to switch to TV mode. Chances are you can't trick it into doing it in handheld.

zenspider

Reading a GAF thread right now about them. Are they like an Uber type deal then?

Hope they deliver my Switch at 8am too. That'd be fucking great. UPS, FedEx, and USPS don't show up until like 4pm here.

Edit: Oh wow, reading Amazon's page for it now. I guess it is. That's neat. Don't steal my Switch please.

Link?

They have delivered some pre-ordered games to my door by like 10AM, but have also marked quite a few orders "delivered" that never showed up, or arrived hours or even days later.

Donax

Neo Member
Since I will have a very nomad use of the Switch (I'll have to travel quite frequently for 5-15 hours), I took a powerbank, a USB AC adapter and a cable with the aim of being compatible 2.4A and 3A with usb-c.

Powerbank: Vinsic battery 20000mAh
It does almost everything: usb 5V/2.4A, quick charge usb and usb-c 5V/3A. You can charge it through the micro usb or usb-c.

USB AC adapter: Volutz 27W 2 ports(USB + USB type-C)
It's an adapter which can provide both 2.4 A via usb and 3A through usb-c. I checked my wall usb adapters and I saw that the output was limited to 1A which is way too low than what is needed to charge correctly the console. Also I wanted something which could provide 3A as it charges more quickly and usb-c will become the new standard.

Cable: ESR USB-A to USB-C
a solid cable compatible with 2.4A and 3A and I opted for the USB-A to USB-C so I could plug it on a computer to charge it in case i have no available outlet.

I was thinking about getting a usb-c to usb-c cable instead but they are still more expensive and very few are compatible 3A charging.

Top Bottom