• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: Darksiders II Stage Demo.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
How is this different from dying in a normal difficulty? By Game Over, do you mean you have to start the whole game over and it deletes your save or something?

Yes, you start from the beginning of the game. It's a completely optional, hardcore gamer addition.

H

hdn, I've heard that the game takes place concurrently during the time period of DS1. Does the entire game take place concurrently, or only parts of it?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
hdn, I've heard that the game takes place concurrently during the time period of DS1. Does the entire game take place concurrently, or only parts of it?

It starts during the period that War is imprisoned by the Charred Council (after the false apocalypse), it's what kickstarts Death's journey to clear his brother's name.

As for how long it lasts, well, that's for all you lovely players to find out ;)

H

EctoPrime

With fast travel do you mean that you can change locations in a menu at any time.

hdn how is the endgame world handled? In Ds1 the destroyable items never returned and large sections had no respawning enemies making it feel empty.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
With fast travel do you mean that you can change locations in a menu at any time.

hdn how is the endgame world handled? In Ds1 the destroyable items never returned and large sections had no respawning enemies making it feel empty.

Fast Travel - you can go into your world map, at any time, select a location and off you go.

Endgame - we have respawning enemies throughout the world. Tons of secrets to uncover, and content that is uncovered based on time and, more than one play through.

Duffyside

Banned
hdn, this is the only game I've preordered in over a year, so please don't take this the wrong way, but we've seen some pretty severe screen-tearing in the demo in the OP of this thread. Is there time to address this before release?

Edit: Derp, last page. In response to me, actually. Great to hear, hdn. Thanks!

Megasoum

Banned
Hey hdn, quick question. Do you guys have a lot of DLC planned for the game? I know all the pre-orders comes with one of the pack (I assume the first one) but I'm kinda bummed out that THQ announced the promo to give season pass to everybody who preorder on the official store after I already pre-ordered somewhere else.

Thanks!

Mupod

Yes, you start from the beginning of the game. It's a completely optional, hardcore gamer addition.

H

I'm assuming you can't take a powered-up character from another difficulty into it, like Diablo? In terms of combat difficulty is it harder than the other modes?

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
hdn, this is the only game I've preordered in over a year, so please don't take this the wrong way, but we've seen some pretty severe screen-tearing in the demo in the OP of this thread. Is there time to address this before release?

I've already addressed this in an earlier reply. There's no screen tearing in the console versions, so I'm assuming it's a capture issue with regards to this footage.

H

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
I'm assuming you can't take a powered-up character from another difficulty into it, like Diablo? In terms of combat difficulty is it harder than the other modes?

I'm going to keep stum on this one, but know this, you can change difficulty on-the-fly (except Nightmare mode). We're also doing New Game+, so you can take a leveled up character to a different difficulty settings.

H

Ryoku

Will be grabbing the PC version of this. Just a question--yes, I know I'm being needy as hell, but will the game utilize DX11 features? Either way, it's an absolutely beautiful game :)

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
Hey hdn, quick question. Do you guys have a lot of DLC planned for the game? I know all the pre-orders comes with one of the pack (I assume the first one) but I'm kinda bummed out that THQ announced the promo to give season pass to everybody who preorder on the official store after I already pre-ordered somewhere else.

Thanks!

We do have several DLC's planned, so you'll get additional content to explore.

H

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, such a simple concept that so many devs ignore.

Replay value + 1,000,000

BTW, is this game on one or 2 discs on 360?

One disc. It helped that we did the majority of our cutscenes "in-engine". Saved disc space, and, allowed player's to see their own loot-ridden Death play his role out.

H

Duffyside

Banned
How different is the combat in this than D1? One thing that stuck out to me with D1 was that, while more complex than Zelda, combat still got repetitive after a while.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
How different is the combat in this than D1? One thing that stuck out to me with D1 was that, while more complex than Zelda, combat still got repetitive after a while.

We spent a lot more time on the flexibility of the combat in this one. You'll see different moves depending on where you switch to your alternate weapon, along the combo chain.

We added secondary 'special' moves for each of the secondary weapon types (it's a signature attack type, so, for hammers, it'd be a ground slam with extra AOE, for a pole arm, it'd be a very direct, spearing move that does high, concentrated damaged).

The Scythe has it's own special set of moves activated by DELAYS (rhythm-based). These allow the scythe to be attached together, as one-big scythe (greater reach) and access to REAPER ATTACKS; attacks that cause Death's reaper to momentarily attack in battle for higher damage but, with the intensity of our combat, these moves are a little more risky.

Legendary Loot types also instill unique attributes to weapons. For instance, there's a Legendary set of Gauntlets that also fires out projectiles.

It is difficulty to keep combat completely fresh in a campaign that is 20+ hrs, plus, we have to keep a good balance for non-hardcore fighters too. I think we've found a nice balance between loot and skill.

H

BY2K

Membero Americo
We spent a lot more time on the flexibility of the combat in this one. You'll see different moves depending on where you switch to your alternate weapon, along the combo chain.

We added secondary 'special' moves for each of the secondary weapon types (it's a signature attack type, so, for hammers, it'd be a ground slam with extra AOE, for a pole arm, it'd be a very direct, spearing move that does high, concentrated damaged).

The Scythe has it's own special set of moves activated by DELAYS (rhythm-based). These allow the scythe to be attached together, as one-big scythe (greater reach) and access to REAPER ATTACKS; attacks that cause Death's reaper to momentarily attack in battle for higher damage but, with the intensity of our combat, these moves are a little more risky.

Legendary Loot types also instill unique attributes to weapons. For instance, there's a Legendary set of Gauntlets that also fires out projectiles.

It is difficulty to keep combat completely fresh in a campaign that is 20+ hrs, plus, we have to keep a good balance for non-hardcore fighters too. I think we've found a nice balance between loot and skill.

H

Here are a few snippets of info on the game for you Neogafer's

Nightmare Mode (difficulty setting) - One Death in combat = GAME OVER.
Possessed Weapons - You can feed items into these weapons. When they level up, you get to choose what stats are applied to them and, you can also NAME them.
Tomes - You can share items with friends via these in-game altars.
Fast Travel - Once you visit new locations, you can fast travel back to them (no walking, running or riding)

H

Yes, there is New Game+ so all that cool loot you have, rolls over to another play through.

I've already addressed this in an earlier reply. There's no screen tearing in the console versions, so I'm assuming it's a capture issue with regards to this footage.

H

I'm going to keep stum on this one, but know this, you can change difficulty on-the-fly (except Nightmare mode). We're also doing New Game+, so you can take a leveled up character to a different difficulty settings.

H

This is delicious. Thanks a lot for the info.

Duffyside

Banned

H

Awesome, thanks for the detailed response. More detail than I was expecting considering the way publishers/PR/whatever usually try and keep as mum about specifics as possible, as to not turn off anyone.

And I especially appreciate the honesty in saying that it's hard to keep a 20+ hour campaign's combat fresh. That was sort of my worry too, as I really enjoyed D1 at first, but it started to drag. But you've already mentioned four weapons, and a delay system that is a very smart way to increase variety in the combat system.

But more importantly is the other variety Darksiders offers; loot, RPG-mechanics, puzzle, exploration, etc. Yeah. I couldn't be more excited about this game. It's been on the top of my list (no, really, I made a list over at Giant Bomb 7 months ago) for a while, but somehow I'm even more hyped now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah. I couldn't be more excited about this game. It's been on the top of my list (no, really, I made a list over at Giant Bomb 7 months ago) for a while, but somehow I'm even more hyped now.

It's going to be my Action/Adventure GOTY, I can feel it.

Ilive1up

game looks gorgeous. the screen tearing was pretty noticeable, but i hope that's just on gamespot and not the final version.

MacBosse

Oh ... thanks!

Reminder! According to amazon, first Darksiders book "THE ABOMINATION VAULT" will be released tomorrow!

Darksiders-The-Abomination-Vault-3canecas.jpg

SHIT, totally awesome! I need this picture in high-def! Anyone?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did I read that right, all the cutscenes are in-engine and real time ? Well that's good for customization, but I guess they won't be as eye-candy as the super sampled video cutscenes the first one had. (which by the way used an AMAZING encoder on the 360, one disc and video quality just as good as the 20gb PS3 version).

i went to go pre-order this game today and see if you pre-order from THQ you get the "season pass" free. but then if i order from THQ i won't have it on release day. lame :(

Ilive1up

i went to go pre-order this game today and see if you pre-order from THQ you get the "season pass" free. but then if i order from THQ i won't have it on release day. lame :(

odd that they wouldn't let you get it on release day. how much DLC is supposed to be in this game? i didn't even know there would be any.

S1kkZ

Really worried about the framerate. Hdn mentioned that there is no tearing, i hope this doesnt affect the framerate in a negative way.

Anyway, i am happy that the German Version comes with all the preorder stuff included :)

Daante

hdn:

- Will the PC version offer more graphical options and tweaks compared to number one?
(forced AA and AF trough ati catalyst control center worked well though in number one)

- Is this running on a new engine or are you using the same as game number one?

- 360 gamepad support for PC version right?

Tell your crew that made number one that it is one of my favorite new IP:s this gen!

DieH@rd

Banned
Its time to update Darksiders II list of features:

- Great mix of agile combat [no block, only dodging], agile traversal [much faster than in DS1] and puzzles.
- Storyline that will greatly expand upon the lore of DS1, new & old chars. Story is running in parallel with DS1 during majority of the game, far away from Earth and War. We dont known if there will be reunion of horsemen.
- Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1.
- 25+ hours for main storyline, with crapton of sidequests and sidejobs.
- Expanded character building options - fully featured skill trees, and fully customizable gear.
- Loot, loot, loot.
- NO MULTIPLAYER
- NO COOP
- You get badass looking horse from very beginning of the game.
- Voiceactor for Death is Michael Wincott, and you main couselor is James Cosmo :)

Fresh info from Vigil gaffer
- Confirmed no tearing in PS3/X360 version of the game. X360 gets the game on one disc.
- Diablo 3 Hardcore mode is in [under the name of Nightmare mode]. One death in combat = permanent death and total loss of campaign progress.
- MAGs are in. Possessed Weapons [rare&unique weapon lootz] must be fed with other random items to enable them to level up and gain more abilities and damage.
- Trading of items between players is in.
- Fast Travel. You can go into your map and instantly teleport to any location that you previously visited.
- New Game+ is in. You keep all your loot.
- In addition to traditional weapon combos, your secondary weapons can be chained-in for their "signature attack", Scythe has its own rhythm-based/delayed-button press combos, and legendary weapons have their own special attacks.

MY QUESTION for hdn is:
Does NewGame+ has its own set of upgraded loot drops? Does enemies get tougher also? Do they get new combat abilities?

BY2K

Membero Americo
- Diablo 3 Hardcore mode is in [under the name of Nightmare mode]. One death in combat = permanent death and total loss of campaign progress.

THAT'S WHAT NIGHTMARE MODE MEANT!?

65227387-omg-reaction-.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game is gonna be so fucking great. Def playing through on Nightmare mode from start to finish. :)

cant wait to start over cause I miss time a jump trying to get a secret

DieH@rd

Banned
This game is gonna be so fucking great. Def playing through on Nightmare mode from start to finish. :)

cant wait to start over cause I miss time a jump trying to get a secret

Hdn mentioned only "death in combat" for nightmare mode... maybe they will go easy on us with traversal. :D

MarkusRJR

Does anyone know if there will be the collector's edition for Wii U? I'm trying to decide between the Xbox 360 and Wii U versions...

This game really does look phenomenal. My second most anticipated game after AC3. I just noticed that the Collector's Edition is getting released in EU after all. I'd love to buy it but I have so many games to play. Money isn't really my biggest issue right now. I WILL buy this game sooner or later, but not sure if I'll make it by launch, and AC3 comes out in the end of Oct, so maybe in Nov or Dec I guess. Hope the CE is still around by then.

First game was great, but far from perfect. Somewhat empty and lacking in many gameplay design choices, and I don't know if it's just me but I thought some dungeons were a tad too big -- it's like they never end. Second game looks amazing. I love side-quests, talent trees, big open worlds and all that. I also really love the combat. Agile combat has always been my favourite. In nearly every game that gives you the option to parry and dodge, I've always been the dodge kind of person. I like avoiding the enemy and attacking him with fast weapons.

Not a big fan of mass-DLC and pre-order DLC, but yeah, this game simply looks amazing. And I'm amazed that a developer came in here too, seeing developers with the community is always awesome. I hope all goes well for THQ: this game along with Metro Last Light may be their final fantasy.

After having beat just some weeks ago Darksiders, and liking it but not loving it, I would like to see how the enhance this game.

I like the more colorful enviroments this time, the first game had lots of problems because it was too dark (for example not knowing if theres and exit or something you could go up a wall because the elements didnt stand out visually).

I like there some type of town also, give more variety to the game.

I hope, but it seems im not getting, a better character. War was a horrible anticharisma type of character and for what they have said in the interview Death is the same but with an emo trait.
Link has more character than this two and he never opens his mouth for fucks sake.
Not the best things about this game it seems.

I also hope they work around making a better jump, because it was very unresponsive in the first one. And if going up difficulty is only making the enemies giant damage sponges with attacks that take more damage Im pretty sure im going to play on easy.

EDIT:
Its time to update Darksiders II list of features:

- Great mix of agile combat [no block, only dodging], agile traversal [much faster than in DS1] and puzzles.
- Storyline that will greatly expand upon the lore of DS1, new & old chars. Story is running in parallel with DS1 during majority of the game, far away from Earth and War. We dont known if there will be reunion of horsemen.
- Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1.
- 25+ hours for main storyline, with crapton of sidequests and sidejobs.
- Expanded character building options - fully featured skill trees, and fully customizable gear.
- Loot, loot, loot.
- NO MULTIPLAYER
- NO COOP
- You get badass looking horse from very beginning of the game.
- Voiceactor for Death is Michael Wincott, and you main couselor is James Cosmo :)

Fresh info from Vigil gaffer
- Confirmed no tearing in PS3/X360 version of the game. X360 gets the game on one disc.
- MAGs are in. Possessed Weapons [rare&unique weapon lootz] must be fed with other random items to enable them to level up and gain more abilities and damage.
- Trading of items between players is in.
- Fast Travel. You can go into your map and instantly teleport to any location that you previously visited.
- New Game+ is in. You keep all your loot.
- In addition to traditional weapon combos, your secondary weapons can be chained-in for their "signature attack", Scythe has its own rhythm-based/delayed-button press combos, and legendary weapons have their own special attacks.

MY QUESTION for hdn is:
Does NewGame+ has its own set of upgraded loot drops? Does enemies get tougher also? Do they get new combat abilities?

Well, this already sounds much better than the first game, I hope there some fun to death's character though.

Top Bottom