• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: New Thor: Ragnarok trailer released

Speely

Banned
This looks so much fucking better than I even dared to hope. I am legit stunned. WOW. It's beautiful.

That poster and that Ragnarok font... the aesthetic appeal of everything about this film is amazing.

Can't wait to watch a Thor movie to see Hulk fight Surtur and Fenrir!

Hopefully Thor isn't over shadowed in his own movie :/.

Everything else looks great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now, it looks great... but very different from the previous trailer.

Previous one looked like gladiator in space. This one looks like that is just setup to get together with hulk and most of the movies is GotG volume 3 or space avengers - gathering a motley crew to beat the bad guy?

And is the hammer gone now? Are we expecting a new one at the end or is that how they’re getting one of the gems?

Holy shit, Taika Waititi is a fucking god. That looks so hilarious and so wild. It's amazing that I'm more excited for a friggin Thor movie than I've been for a Marvel movie in years.

tfw you're more interested in a thor movie than the first justice league film or an avengers with spiderman in it.

aside from going heavy metal and R with Thor which I would have liked, I also think this direction is pretty cool (and more mcu audience friendly) hiring Waititi and chasing the irreverent tone of Guardians.

dabig2

It's me or Hulk seems to be more "intelligent"?

They're definitely letting him say more stuff, which is nice. Seems to be a mix between his savage "Hulk smash" persona and his gravage persona, but favoring more the Savage persona.

People forget that in the first Avengers issues way back when this was how the Hulk spoke:
Xv2BeRy.jpg

FOzY76B.jpg

Not to mention his OG appearances as the Gray Hulk in those first few issues of his own comic before the Avengers first launched.

He was calculating, intelligent enough to where people didn't speak to him like a toddler, and he himself spoke in complete sentences. He was also much more of a dick and a brute, very much Hyde to Banner's Jekyll.

7Th

I genuinely believe Waititi when he says Marvel gave him total freedom in this movie; not like his style was particularly unfitting for the MCU, anyway.

Speely

Banned
I keep re-watching this and the Stranger Things 2 trailer. Why is it that the best new trailers both evoke 80s feels?

Granted, Ragnarok is more late 70s/early 80s science fantasy, but still.

Edit: this reminds me of Heavy Metal in some ways.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's actually "clad." Turns out she is addressing a nude Thor.

she has a weird accent going on thats for sure. She also says Asgard weird. She rolls the R too much.

Anyway, rewatching the trailer countless times, the last bit with Thor and Hulk was probably ad-libbed, because Chris's laugh seems almost like he wasnt trying to laugh.

There's so much right here, but if I had to nitpick, I really don't like them getting so casual with Thor. Does even the God of Thunder have to be just a dude? 'I lost my hammer, like, yesterday'? Come on. Say what you want about Cavill's Superman, but I'm so glad he isn't, like, just a guy.

Hulk at the end distinguishing between smoldering and raging fires was also a bit off, both in terms of the CG and whatever they're doing with Hulk. Presumably there's some kind of explanation.

Considering the awesome sci-fi/fantasy mash-up on display here, though, I can forgive it. If all Marvel movies displayed this degree of imagination and creativity and affinity for the source material (Thor's personality aside), I wouldn't be nearly so harsh on them. GotG really was the best thing that could have happened to the Marvel U. It really allowed them to free the shackles mentally, I think.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That looks amazing. Considering how bland the first two were, this could completely turn the franchise around. Well played, Marvel.

I feel so Justified in just the trailer alone. I NEED that poster though.
This was my most HYPED movie of this year since we first found out what it was about.

this is early screening previews level of HYPE, not just DAY ONE.
I'm not sure how Thor (& HULK) got more HYPE out of me than Spider-man, Guardians and BP, but Marvel managed to fucking do it since many many months ago, and this trailer just justifies all the hype I've been building up for this among my friends. I hope the B.O. supports that as well.

There's so much right here, but if I had to nitpick, I really don't like them getting so casual with Thor. Does even the God of Thunder have to be just a dude? 'I lost my hammer, like, yesterday'? Come on. Say what you want about Cavill's Superman, but I'm so glad he isn't, like, just a guy.

Cavill's Superman isn't even a person so you're definitely right that he isn't just a guy.

Cavill's Superman isn't even a person so you're definitely right that he isn't just a guy.

Yeah, he's more like a god. Regardless of whether you thought it was a bad decision or not the Superman in the dceu is treated with a much more god-like presence on Earth than Thor.

which is strange because the latter actually had precedent in a centuries old religion where he was actually deified, Thor was worshiped years ago. Not saying these movies have to get more serious or anything, but man at least show some awe from the humans. He's perceived by society as just another member of the team with super strength.

you think some people would be shitting their pants when they see Thor on the news. Or starting a cult of thunder (lol) or something.

this is certainly not the movie for that though. and I actually really like him being a bit more of a laid back dork, the whole tone of this looks entertaining.

bionic77

That was good.

Never had any intention of seeing Thor 2 and it seems I was right based on reactions. This has a wonderful setup and it seems, at least from the trailer, to be really well done.

Yeah, he's more like a god. Regardless of whether you thought it was a bad decision or not the Superman in the dceu is treated with a much more god-like presence on Earth than Thor.

which is strange because the latter actually had precedent in a centuries old religion where he was actually deified, Thor was worshiped years ago. Not saying these movies have to get more serious or anything, but man at least show some awe from the humans. He's perceived by society as just another member of the team with super strength.

you think some people would be shitting their pants when they see Thor on the news. Or starting a cult of thunder (lol) or something.

this is certainly not the movie for that though. and I actually really like him being a bit more of a laid back dork, the whole tone of this looks entertaining.

The Koreans are on it

f59f2770d22fd6d1dde1a9ea7091d5c8f8bf0ccd.jpg

Recent Thor runs like Jason Aaron's treat him as a character who is way closer to humanity in this regard. Being so enamoured with Midgard is kinda his shtick and what puts him often in conflict with Odin. He is a super powerful guy but also, yes, "just a dude" who enjoys fighting and drinking (and fucking but can't do that in the MCU). Thor 1 and 2 didn't do a fantastic job of showing that but there's nothing wrong with this interpretation.

I thought the first Thor was enjoyable and the 2nd was a little bit disappointing. But this one looks really great and interesting! Especially the 80's vibe I'm getting from the trailer visually and with the awesome music.

This and Stranger Things S2 are my favorite trailers out of SDCC.

Curious and kind of fascinated by the 80s pastiche (music, the movie's logo--and like Banner is sporting a Duran Duran shirt!) so to speak and if that plays a role in the movie somehow or it's just a marketing choice because it's weirdly effective.

Speely

Banned
Y'all. We are getting a huge, beautiful science fantasy Thor movie with a great director attached who has an inspired vision for it.

And fucking Cate Blanchett as the big bad!

I just can't. My hype is too great for me to bear. Halp.

inky

Recent Thor runs like Jason Aaron's treat him as a character who is way closer to humanity in this regard. Being so enamoured with Midgard is kinda his shtick and what puts him often in conflict with Odin. He is a super powerful guy but also, yes, "just a dude" who enjoys fighting and drinking (and fucking but can't do that in the MCU). Thor 1 and 2 didn't do a fantastic job of showing that but there's nothing wrong with this interpretation.

Yup. Honestly, I prefer that interpretation. Regular human's perception of the Avengers is only tangential to the heroes themselves and it's mostly in service of making them relatable. (Except the government people, which I guess looks at them like weapons more than anything else).

Forget the Marvel movies, I think even Wonder Woman is smart about that. You have this incredible mythical amazonian who claims she is the daughter of Zeus and she has no problem shaking hands with people and dancing and having beers with them after the day is saved. People are in awe of her, yes, but there's also that connection. Contrast that Superman's aloof attitude in his montage in BvS, and even the way the camera treats him and I know which one prefer, or at least which one is working in service of something better in the movies.

Johndoey

Banned
End of the trailer has me excited, been waiting for one of these movies to show off how powerful Thor is actually supposed to be.

Top Bottom