• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE Texas: Hurricane/TS Harvey is here. And still here. Check local alerts & stay safe

Rayis

I live close to the Addicks Reservoir, thankfully there wasn't any water damage but my car won't start after being in pretty high water for several hours, fuck.

Anyway, even if we don't get another storm, any significant rain event is going to make me sweat, we could use a bit of drought here in East Texas.

I live close to the Addicks Reservoir, thankfully there wasn't any water damage but my car won't start after being in pretty high water for several hours, fuck.

Anyway, even if we don't get another storm, any significant rain event is going to make me sweat, we could use a bit of drought here in East Texas.

did you really try starting your car.

They are pegging Irma slightly south of GFS at that end point. Not good for florida as the intensity looks similar to GFS as well.

Yep...here is the latest track and it's supposed to be super strong
XDR94jQ.jpg

Latest Euro
b1OoYJd.jpg

kmag

I don't doubt we'll be seeing more tropical storms. I doubt storms of this caliber that sit for days are going to become the norm.

The stalling is due to very weak prevailing winds allowing it to spin around and wobble back and forth. This pattern is associated with a greatly expanded subtropical high pressure system, which is exactly what we've got over much of the US at the moment, with the jet stream pushed well to the north. This type of subtropical expansion is predicted to be far more common in a number of the climate change models. So potentially these types of large (due to the warmer water) stalled (due to the subtropical expansion caused by the higher temperature) high precipitation (the higher density due to the higher water temperature) storms could become more common.

Kusagari

Irma's biggest danger is that our government has not had to deal with two concurrent calamities before so we have no idea how the resources will be stretched and the aid funding would be supplied. Florida can handle a lot but a cat 4-5 is assured to cause massive destruction.

You had Katrina, Rita and Wilma all within a three month period in 2005.

Timeaisis

One bit of good news : The latest Euro model is rolling out and it is not showing that potential tropical disturbance developing in the Gulf as much as the GFS did earlier.

The bad news is that it's showing Irma as a Hurricane going through the northern Leeward Islands, crossing Puerto Rico, through the Bahamas threatening a possible US landfall later.

L4JbmOr.gif

Not to be that guy, but Florida can handle it. As long as it doesn't get into the gulf. SE Texas can't handle any more stuff like this. Obviously, the ideal situation is Irma peters out and makes no landfall, but it's a much better outlook if it hits FL and avoids TX/LA.

Speaking as a born and raised Floridian and a current Texan.

KodaRuss

This is the kingwood torchy's that just opened a few weeks ago....found this on kingwood.com

288876_1504122056558.jpg

We have an office in Houston and most of our employees were somehow able to come in today outside of a couple with some serious water issues.

We are paying everyone for a full week this week and for September commissions we are just averaging their last few months because they will likely be very negatively affected.

Rayis

There could still be water in the engine, who knows what else may have corroded

I checked the engine externally, it seems to be dry, and I don't think it spent more than 2 hours in the water, at most an hour and a half, either way, I called a mechanic already and I should be getting it checked later today.

TylerD

I checked the engine externally, it seems to be dry, and I don't think it spent more than 2 hours in the water, at most an hour and a half, either way, I called a mechanic already and I should be getting it checked later today.

Hopefully it will be OK but the #1 rule of a car that has been sitting in high water for any period of time is not to try to start it.

https://www.thoughtco.com/car-caught-in-flood-532542

Basically if there is any water in the engine you will be trying to compress water instead of a fine mist of fuel vapor and air. Water doesn't compress so good :( and can lead to major internal damage.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Thanks, Nostradamus.

This amount of rainfall is not something anyone should expect to occur again in the near future.

Climate change is real. Storms like this, which are increasing in both severity and regularity, are the result of it.

Getting snippy about pointing out that fact isn't going to change it.

There's a lot of internal areas to an engine so it's going to be more than just by eye.

Some of you might not have heard, but GDQ has announced they're running a mini-marathon this Friday through Sunday to benefit Harvey Relief: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425809

They're still looking for a donation recipient - it sounds like they want proceeds to go to a local Houston charity, but they're having difficulty contacting one for obvious reasons. Any suggestions from locals?

Lebron

Friends told me King's Biergarten in the Heights is giving out free beer for like 2-3 hours as a fuck you to Harvey? I would go if I didn't have to be a family man.

Not all heroes wear capes.

Thoughts go out to everyone still experiencing this fucker. Stay strong

jmdajr

Friends told me King's Biergarten in the Heights is giving out free beer for like 2-3 hours as a fuck you to Harvey? I would go if I didn't have to be a family man.

Not all heroes wear capes.

Thoughts go out to everyone still experiencing this fucker. Stay strong
That's cool.

We earned some stress free downtime.

Kimaka

Saw the sun today and helped my aunt rip out her flooded carpet. Tiring, but was pretty relaxing compared to the stress of the previous days.

Fuck Yeah. Nothing too fancy for us. Just Jimmy John's.

Chick Fil A is open and is fucking packed!

The Chick fil A's line near me can get to the street during meal times. I can't imagine what it looks like now.

1. An area of low pressure could form over the southwestern Gulf of
Mexico by the weekend. Development, if any, of this system is
expected to be slow to occur as the low moves slowly northward.
If this system does develop, it could bring additional rainfall to
portions of the Texas and Louisiana coasts. However, any rainfall
forecast is uncertain at this time range and it is too soon to
determine any specific impacts. Interests in these areas should
monitor the progress of this system for the next few days.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Gero

Gas stations in the DFW area are running out of gas. QuikTrip is expecting to only sell gas at half their stores in the area by Labor Day weekend, they have 135 stores in DFW.

Neoxon

For those in the Cypress area, Marco's Pizza is still open if you can get to them & you're low on food after the flooding. The way isn't flooded on my end. As for Dominos over in Spring Cypress & Fry Rd., it's sadly still closed.

For anyone in the area and interested in helping, we have a group going to some of the hit areas this weekend to help with cleanup and just getting the rebuilding process going. I think Saturday a group is going to Woodsboro and Sunday is Aransas Pass

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Some of you might not have heard, but GDQ has announced they're running a mini-marathon this Friday through Sunday to benefit Harvey Relief: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425809

They're still looking for a donation recipient - it sounds like they want proceeds to go to a local Houston charity, but they're having difficulty contacting one for obvious reasons. Any suggestions from locals?

Oh wow, awesome!

Mindlog

For those in the Cypress area, Marco's Pizza is still open if you can get to them & you're low on food after the flooding. The way isn't flooded on my end. As for Dominos over in Spring Cypress & Fry Rd., it's sadly still closed.
Marco's makes a fine pizza. Probably my favorite chain.

Top Bottom