• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves - (Good & Bad) Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Curious, does that mean Last of Us (also on pS3 obviously) and Killzone Shadowfall are not ps4 "exclusives" anymore since I can stream em on PC?
Yes they are not Playstation exclusives and you don't even need a Pc You can play it on some Tv's

Codes 208

Let's just call it like it is. A MS game, so it's always going to face an uphill battle due to the lack of leniency and good will that PlayStation will garner.
A lot of critisim ive seen have been legitimate though. A lot of xbox games this gen have just been just a tad bit above average at best. And i say this as a (former) dominantly xbox gamer. But there have been some good ones, where was the bias against ori or cuphead?

Grinchy

Banned
Let's just call it like it is. A MS game, so it's always going to face an uphill battle due to the lack of leniency and good will that PlayStation will garner.
That's ridiculous. If this was a PS4 exclusive, it would be getting just as shit on and in just the same ways. There would be one faction of people enjoying it, another faction of people voicing their legitimate complaints, and another faction who had never tried it or had any intention of trying it just enjoying the fact that the rival of their fanboy side was under scrutiny.

It's not all happening just because it's a Microsoft game. This would be happening no matter what because it's a hyped-up, 4-years-in-the-making exclusive game that released with a massive lack of content at $60. Are we going to pretend that No Man's Sky didn't get any of this same flack because PS4 has an inherently granted good will and leniency?

That's ridiculous. If this was a PS4 exclusive, it would be getting just as shit on and in just the same ways. There would be one faction of people enjoying it, another faction of people voicing their legitimate complaints, and another faction who had never tried it or had any intention of trying it just enjoying the fact that the rival of their fanboy side was under scrutiny.

It's not all happening just because it's a Microsoft game. This would be happening no matter what because it's a hyped-up, 4-years-in-the-making exclusive game that released with a massive lack of content at $60. Are we going to pretend that No Man's Sky didn't get any of this same flack because PS4 has an inherently granted good will and leniency?
I believe Street Fighter V and GT:S got a pass on lack of content at launch from a lot of reviewers and fans. It's interesting to see the reactions to SoT.

WaterAstro

I believe Street Fighter V and GT:S got a pass on lack of content at launch from a lot of reviewers and fans. It's interesting to see the reactions to SoT.
I don't know about Gran Turismo Sport. I know it has less cars, but like any GT game, they'll have a ton of races and challenges.
SFV definitely did not get a pass. We complained so hard that they were forced to add story mode.

thelastword

Banned
So it's a conspiracy against all MS games.....It has nothing to do with the quality of the games, the lack of content or progression that gamers seek?

Grinchy

Banned
Gran Turismo Sport has a metacitic that is 4 points higher than Sea of Thieves. It's very hard to argue that a 75 vs a 71 would indicate a "pass from a lot of reviewers."

And I don't play racing games, so I didn't really look into Gran Turismo Sport, but the only thing I even remember from its launch was all the complaints about its lack of content and online requirements. If anything, I feel like you inadvertently pointed out a good example of a PS4 game that faced scrutiny because of a long development time, full price, and lack of features. I wish I had come up with that example myself!

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PS Now streaming is a bit of a grey area. You don't own anything you stream. You could at one time play Red Dead Redemption on the Vita, but that doesn't mean it was on the Vita. Because once Sony pulled support for the Vita none of those games on PS Now could be played again. So yes, those games are still exclusives on the PS3 or PS4.

Even if Microsoft pulled The Windows Store offline, I could still play Forza Horizon 3. Why? Because it was actually released on PC.

The mental gymnastics here is insane.

timberger

I mean, OBVIOUSLY if anyone points out that a bad MS game is bad they are part of the vast anti-MS conspiracy that seems to run through every corner of gaming fandom and media. You can't spell Conspiracy without PIRACY!!!

This game has been released unfinished, and deserves to be shit on for it (Just like No Man's Sky was.) if they seriously think they can charge full price for something like that.

MilkyJoe

A game is only a real "exclusive" if you can only play it on the Xbox One, so stuff like Killer Instinct or Cuphead does not really count since you can also play it on PC.

I guess they are exclusives within the console realm, but so many people have gaming PCs these days that I think you can't really count it out, PC is simply part of the gaming landscape along with the consoles, the two aren't as separate as they used to be, so if a game is on both Xbox and PC it's a multiplatform game, not an Xbox exclusive.

It never gets old....

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

If anything they got bet up more despite being good games. They are both sequels to very successful games in competitive fields. SoT is alone in the weird open world pirate game genre, so hype carried it further than it should have. If it were a sequel to a more successful game it would have got 5/10 like it deserves.

shpankey

not an idiot
Been playing solo, galleon of griefers chasing me down, not sure how as sloops were supposed to be faster, angling the sails and still getting caught.
Actually, they're not... the Galleon's are faster due to having more sails. This was published somewhere but I don't have the link handy. The thing about Sloops is they are more maneuverable though, so that leads to some advantages... but straight up out on open seas in a straight line, Galleons are faster. Try to turn and change directions to take advantage of the Sloop.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

BS and you know it! Especially if this was a Nintendo game. Good thing it's actually doing really well sales wise and the community for it is growing. FR, this is another staple in the Xbox franchise portfolio - despite what the Metacritic score or naysayers say.

Alx

Sloops are faster than galleons when going against the wind. Otherwise you need to outmaneuver them.

Last edited:
BS and you know it! Especially if this was a Nintendo game. Good thing it's actually doing really well sales wise and the community for it is growing. FR, this is another staple in the Xbox franchise portfolio - despite what the Metacritic score or naysayers say.
Yeah, NO ONE shit on No Man's Sky when it was released.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it's really bizarre when people have a persecution complex tied to videogame hardware.

The complaints about this game are very legitimate and they aren't all a part of some conspiracy against Microsoft games. I'm enjoying SoT quite a bit so far, btw. It's not like I even dislike the game. It just has a disappointing amount of content and various problems.

Last edited:
The mental gymnastics here is insane.

Really?

I can stream any PS4 game I want on my Vita. The new God of War for example can be streamed on the Vita, so does that mean its getting released on the Vita? Of course not, nobody thinks that. God of War is a PS4 exclusive. So how is PS Now any different with PC?

Help me with my mental gymnastics.... the balance beam is scary.

Last edited:

Arefu

Neo Member
I mentioned this before but theyre only on pc via windows 10 store. Theyre still part of the xbox ecosystem which seems to be what MS wants (cuphead however is on steam. But thats the only exclusion that comes to mind)
Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are also on Steam.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Really?

I can stream any PS4 game I want on my Vita. The new God of War for example can be streamed on the Vita, so does that mean its getting released on the Vita? Of course not, nobody thinks that. God of War is a PS4 exclusive. So how is PS Now any different with PC? If The Last of Us (non remastered) is no longer a PS3 exclusive because you can stream it on PC, God of War is no longer a PS4 exclusive because you can stream it on the Vita. Which means the entire industry, including Sony themselves, have been wrong.

Help me with my mental gymnastics.... the balance beam is scary.

I talked about a service that you pay for that allows you to stream content from Sony to any PC. (No Sony hardware required)

You compared it to having to buy two Sony devices that requires already owning the software. (Ps4, Vita, plus purchasing the software to be able to stream)

Edit: The Vita argument is what I was referring to.

If I can pay to play a PS4 game on PC that doesn't require buying some hardware, I would say that's very comparable to the Xbox has no "real" exclusive situations.

You're arguing you don't need an Xbox to play the game correct? So therefore is not a "real" exclusive. Well I don't need a PS4 to play Until Dawn, but that's still a "real" exclusive?

Last edited:
I talked about a service that you pay for that allows you to stream content from Sony to any PC. (No Sony hardware required)

You compared it to having to buy two Sony devices that requires already owning the software.

Sony Hardware is required. What do you think you're paying for? That $19.99 a month is paying for Sony Server access, which are what is actually running the game. There is no difference between Sony Servers and the PS4, they do the exact same thing.

Edit: The Vita argument is what I was referring to.

If I can pay to play a PS4 game on PC that doesn't require buying some hardware, I would say that's very comparable to the Xbox has no "real" exclusive situations.

You're arguing you don't need an Xbox to play the game correct? So therefore is not a "real" exclusive. Well I don't need a PS4 to play Until Dawn, but that's still a "real" exclusive?

Sea of Thieves was released on Xbox AND PC. Just like Gears of War 4, Forza 7, Forza Horizion 3 etc... Nothing on PS Now is actually on PC. Red Dead Redemption was never released on PC, but you can stream it through PS Now. That doesn't change the fact that Red Dead Redemption is exclusive to the PS3 and Xbox 360 though. Streaming and native releases are two different things. Destiny 2 wasn't released for the Vita, thus isn't considered part of the platform family, but I can stream it from my PS4.

Last edited:
It never gets old....

How does a game available on multiple platforms not make it... a multiplatform game?

Yeah many of these are on the Windows 10 store which does make them tied up within Microsoft, but the key thing is, I don't have to own an Xbox to play them, ergo they are not Xbox "exclusives"

How does that not make perfect sense?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wow, this thread is a mess. The game 100% deserves the criticism it is getting, and I think the vast majority of level headed people understand that. I also think most people were really hoping this was going to be something a lot more special and rooting for MS/Rare. I know I was.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Interesting seeing all of the different reactions to the game. Sea of Thieves is definitely polarising a lot of the content creators I watch. In general, it seems to come down to two groups: people who love making their own fun and thus don’t mind the lack of structured content, and people who’d prefer that the game was structured more traditionally while giving them room to goof around when they wanted. I suspect the price tag colours expectations, too.

For my part, I’m loving the game, and enjoy its free form gameplay that really leaves you to your own devices. The emergent moments are pretty damn special, and are some of the most fun I’ve had online with my friends in a long, long time. With that said, Rare’s post launch support needs to be on point to justify that price tag, and my long term enjoyment rests on whether or not they add and expand to the sandbox that’s driving the fun.

Side note: this is really the type of experience I wanted when developers talk “shared world” games. The fun on offer here eclipses anything Destiny 2 has to offer, which says a lot about the depth of Bungie’s failure there.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I
Sony Hardware is required. What do you think you're paying for? That $19.99 a month is paying for Sony Server access, which are what is actually running the game. There is no difference between Sony Servers and the PS4, they do the exact same thing.

Sea of Thieves was released on Xbox AND PC. Just like Gears of War 4, Forza 7, Forza Horizion 3 etc... Nothing on PS Now is actually on PC. Red Dead Redemption was never released on PC, but you can stream it through PS Now. That doesn't change the fact that Red Dead Redemption is exclusive to the PS3 and Xbox 360 though. Streaming and native releases are two different things. Destiny 2 wasn't released for the Vita, thus isn't considered part of the platform family, but I can stream it from my PS4.

Like I said, mental gymnastics. You are now breaking everything down to the fact that it is streamed vs on a disc to constitute that its exclusive.

Sony hardware is NOT required for the end user. I do not have to own a PS4 to play the PS4 content. I never said it was free and that my money wasn't going to Sony. But I, as the end user, do not have to buy a PS4 to play Until Dawn. If you are disputing that you are wrong.

The same way I do not have to buy an Xbox One to play Cuphead or Horizon 3.

The Vita argument still makes zero sense. Like I said before, to stream Destiny 2 on Vita you need a PS4. It isn't available on PS Now. I need to own a Playstation 4 to stream Destiny 2 to my Vita. Until Dawn, I do not need a PS4 in any capacity to play it.

Sony didn't put Playstation Now on PC to attract PS4 users. The same way Microsoft didn't put Xbox Play Anywhere games on PC to attract Xbox players. They want as many end users as possible and that term exclusive is becoming more and more grey. Soon we will have "Playstation Exclusive" the same way "Xbox Exclusive" means you are paying the company who owns the software to play it. The sooner people quit measuring their E-Penis to go to bat for the company they like most, the better we all will be.

How does the platform improve if people don't offer anything constructive and instead look everywhere except where any problem could be.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, it does annoy me at times to see what's going on Xbox, it doesn't feel anymore like the brand I have been a big fan of since it's release all those years ago. Seeing Spencer, Greenberg, Ybarra and co get their egos massaged daily on twitter is disappointing.

Last edited:
I

Like I said, mental gymnastics. You are now breaking everything down to the fact that it is streamed vs on a disc to constitute that its exclusive.

Sony hardware is NOT required for the end user. I do not have to own a PS4 to play the PS4 content. I never said it was free and that my money wasn't going to Sony. But I, as the end user, do not have to buy a PS4 to play Until Dawn. If you are disputing that you are wrong.

The same way I do not have to buy an Xbox One to play Cuphead or Horizon 3.

The Vita argument still makes zero sense. Like I said before, to stream Destiny 2 on Vita you need a PS4. It isn't available on PS Now. I need to own a Playstation 4 to stream Destiny 2 to my Vita. Until Dawn, I do not need a PS4 in any capacity to play it.

Sony didn't put Playstation Now on PC to attract PS4 users. The same way Microsoft didn't put Xbox Play Anywhere games on PC to attract Xbox players. They want as many end users as possible and that term exclusive is becoming more and more grey. Soon we will have "Playstation Exclusive" the same way "Xbox Exclusive" means you are paying the company who owns the software to play it. The sooner people quit measuring their E-Penis to go to bat for the company they like most, the better we all will be.

I don't know how else too explain it. *Shrugs* Oh well.

Last edited:
I don't know how else too explain it. *Shrugs* Oh well.
You explained it just fine. Your conclusion is just incorrect. The people that want to claim xbox games that are on PC don't have to buy an Xbox console to play those games, therefore they are not exclusive. That is no different than using PSNow on PC. You can play those games without buying a PS4, so they must not be exclusive either. You can't really separate the two without showing biased for a particular brand. I believe that if you cannot play a game on a competing platform, it's exclusive. But saying that streaming the game somehow keeps the games exclusive to PlayStation is a biased point of view.

You explained it just fine. Your conclusion is just incorrect. The people that want to claim xbox games that are on PC don't have to buy an Xbox console to play those games, therefore they are not exclusive. That is no different than using PSNow on PC. You can play those games without buying a PS4, so they must not be exclusive either. You can't really separate the two without showing biased for a particular brand. I believe that if you cannot play a game on a competing platform, it's exclusive. But saying that streaming the game somehow keeps the games exclusive to PlayStation is a biased point of view.
???
I can stream my PS4 games on my phone - does that mean Bloodborne is available on my phone? No. It's still using my PS4. Just like PS Now is running on actual PS4 and PS3 hardware (not consumer hardware, of course). https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sony-creates-custom-ps3-for-playstation-now

All these Xbox Play Anywhere titles run natively on PC - it's not streaming from Xbox hardware. It really shouldn't be so difficult to tell the distinction here.

Last edited:
???
Has this game's reception driven some of you mad?
I can stream my PS4 games on my phone - does that mean Bloodborne is available on my phone? No. It's still using my PS4. Just like PS Now is running on actual PS4 and PS3 hardware (not consumer hardware, of course). https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-sony-creates-custom-ps3-for-playstation-now

All these Xbox Play Anywhere titles run natively on PC - it's not streaming from Xbox hardware. It really shouldn't be so difficult to tell the distinction here.
Having to own the console to stream to phone is different. You actually have to own a playstation, yourself, and invest the cost of the hardware to play the game that way. Xbox has a similar feature. You do not have to own, or invest, to buy the playstation hardware to use PSNow. Therefore, if you believe that an Xbox game is not exclusive because it's available to play without owning the xbox console, you must believe the same with playstation or you are making a biased platform argument. That's is the only logical argument. It's one side or the other. Trying to split the decision is showing biased towards a certain platform.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Played it last night for half an hour. Didn't know what to do.
Tried to sail with my one-man ship to another island but sank by the storm (btw, it was stormy the whole time I played).
So how should I play (single-player) when the ship is sinking in the storm after a minute. if there is only stormy weather in that half hour, what should I've done?
I quite the game and forget it until this is "playable" under all weather-conditions.

Argh..ye need to be using that sea sponge in between your ears and use the bucket in your inventory to bail water during torrential rain storms and wood planks to fix holes from lightning strikes.

But maybe becoming a Pirate Legend isn't in your future...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Having to own the console to stream to phone is different. You actually have to own a playstation, yourself, and invest the cost of the hardware to play the game that way. Xbox has a similar feature. You do not have to own, or invest, to buy the playstation hardware to use PSNow. Therefore, if you believe that an Xbox game is not exclusive because it's available to play without owning the xbox console, you must believe the same with playstation or you are making a biased platform argument. That's is the only logical argument. It's one side or the other. Trying to split the decision is showing biased towards a certain platform.

Glad I'm not the only one who makes sense here. 😛

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Wow, this thread is a mess. The game 100% deserves the criticism it is getting, and I think the vast majority of level headed people understand that. I also think most people were really hoping this was going to be something a lot more special and rooting for MS/Rare. I know I was.
For the record: this is a legitimate new franchise. It is a success. There are just as many people enjoying it as hating it. One of the most polarizing games in recent years. There are LOADS of fans right now. Over 1mill players and counting in its first 48 hours of release. It's also the top seller in the Xbox Live and Window store.

The game will continue...

This game definitely deserves the criticism it gets, it's a very shallow game and i can see why it's being referred to as basically being an early access game i mean it's almost as bare bones as the closed beta i played last year, having said that i still really enjoy it and even bought an Xbox One X so i can play it online with my wife. People on both sides of this argument just need to understand that a game can be fun yet flawed.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

How does a game available on multiple platforms not make it... a multiplatform game?

Yeah many of these are on the Windows 10 store which does make them tied up within Microsoft, but the key thing is, I don't have to own an Xbox to play them, ergo they are not Xbox "exclusives"

How does that not make perfect sense?

You still have to buy the game, and chances are you wouldn't buy an xbox just to play it. So they still get your money. How does business work?

Codes 208

Killer Instinct and Quantum Break are also on Steam.
Theyre also first party IP's so MS gets a cut regardless on those two. My point still stands, a bulk of xbox playanywhere games are exclusive to the windows store which makes them still part of the xbox ecosystem (i mean the the xbox app is required and the xbox logo still pops up when you boot the game for example)

Xbox as a system isnt required, but i dont believe ms cares about that, since it appears xbox is slowly turning into more of a direct allternative to pc gaming for those who cant afford building a pc.

Last edited:
I’ve been really enjoying it. Needs a little more content but overall good. ...getting sunk by a storm, fighting other people, the core is good. Graphically, very beautiful in HDR. Love the storms, waves, and having to bail and patch the ship in huge storms. Very tense.

The biggest problem is that the PvP encounter rate is waaaay too low, the map is simply too big and you rare run into other pirates to fight (which is the best part of the game)

If they can rectify this or at least add a dedicated PvP mode I'd be back in. If the DLC is good and timely, this game can end up like Rainbow Six Siege where it started off lukewarm but end up being a big hit with a constant stream of DLC.

Dying Light is another example of a game that 3 years later is still getting more DLC

demigod

For the record: this is a legitimate new franchise. It is a success. There are just as many people enjoying it as hating it. One of the most polarizing games in recent years. There are LOADS of fans right now. Over 1mill players and counting in its first 48 hours of release. It's also the top seller in the Xbox Live and Window store.

The game will continue...

Oh lord, even jez corden had to retract what he said about this game being PUBG. When a dev talks about player counts instead of hard sales data, you know the game is in trouble. For all we know half the million people might be using the free subs to game pass. Wait until NPD comes out before you start praising it like its the next coming of Jesus.

Alx

The biggest problem is that the PvP encounter rate is waaaay too low, the map is simply too big and you rare run into other pirates to fight (which is the best part of the game)

That will depend on each player though, some complain on their end that they can't do their missions in peace without being attacked by other players. It's a balance to find, and Rare will probably be tweaking it continuously depending on what direction they want to go at a given moment.
Also if you're looking for other players to fight, fort events are a sure way to see people converge on a single spot. You can also roam around outposts.

Last edited:
You still have to buy the game, and chances are you wouldn't buy an xbox just to play it. So they still get your money. How does business work?

Never said they weren't still Microsoft published games obviously, just that them not being available only on the Xbox means they're not Xbox exclusive games.

I don't know about Gran Turismo Sport. I know it has less cars, but like any GT game, they'll have a ton of races and challenges.

Even SoT will have content update nd all. They already announced it but people are hating on the game or I should say criticizing the game based on base content. SoT is a Gaas game, it will get lot of content update and changes based on feedback.

Also GT is established franchise with very loyal fanbase. GT fans will defend and support it regardless of reviews or user opinion.

SoT being a new IP doesn't have that luxury plus Xbox IPs are scrutinised way more than Sony this gen I think. Iam noticing alot this gen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom