• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate To Sell 1TB HDD In Six Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one welcome our new HDDs measured in TB overlords, although I have yet to fill my 250GB HDD:

Seagate Technology has just released information to DailyTech with regard to the company's upcoming highest capacity hard disk drive to date. At 1TB, if no other hard disk drive manufacturer can catch up, Seagate will have the highest capacity hard drive product to market first.

The 1TB hard disk drive will be based on perpendicular recording technology which packs bits tighter onto the magnetic platter by positioning them perpendicular to the platter as opposed to linear recording which positions bits horizontally. The perpendicular recording technology, which has been in use by Seagate and its platter supplier for over a year now, will be put to the test as Seagate states the 1TB product will implement fewer platters and heads to improve the performance of the drive.

In a statement to DailyTech earlier today, the company claimed:

Seagate’s 1TB hard drive will be our second generation 3.5-inch hard drive to feature capacity-boosting perpendicular recording technology, and it will use fewer heads and discs than similar-capacity products we expect to see from our competitors. It is clear that fewer heads and discs, along with our proven perpendicular technology, can increase drive reliability, and also reduce operating temperatures, power consumption, noise, and weight.

It is confirmed now that we should expect a 1TB Barracuda from Seagate Technology to hit the market in full force sometime in the first half of this calendar year. Seagate was also the first company to announce a 750GB hard drive last year. No company has since announced a drive with 750GB or greater capacity.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5582

OnkelC said:
Looks like we have a little competition brewing. That's cool though that they have hi-def recording DVRs in mind with the CinemaStar.

Sort of scary that HDDs could be measured in TBs instead of GBs soon. It seems like yesterday we purchased our first home PC with a 40MB HDD and then following that a few years later we bought a 850MB HDD upgrade and thought that was huge. Ah good old Quantum Fireball HDD.

BTW, what's the state of Perpendicular Recording Technology? Has it proven to be reliable and stable? Are these HDDs gonna be safer than the old ones in general?

Straight_HR_550x433.jpg

Haha, I like the sticker: NEW! HUGE Capacity = 1,000 GB! :lol

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
East Clintwood said:
BTW, what's the state of Perpendicular Recording Technology? Has it proven to be reliable and stable? Are these HDDs gonna be safer than the old ones in general?

You should have absolutely no worries with it being perpendicular. My 2 320GB Perpendicular Seagate Barracuda SATA II drives are happily churning away with no issues.

Oh yeah, NCQ ****ing rocks as well!

Well that's just AWESOME. I think I should get one just for fun. Maybe when I build my new computer. Never mind the fact that I've never even come close to filling up my 80 + 250 GB HDD's (even with two OS' installed, 45 different games and just as many other programs), hell one terabyte is SWEET. Maybe I'll install XP, XP SP1, XP SP2 and every version of vista JUST for kicks.

I am so serious.

White Man

metdroid said:
Imagine filling one up and then having it crap out on you

I dunno, it's only twice as bad as if one of my four 500gbs died. I'd just be sure that it was a wise investment and that the hardware was solid before I put my money down. I haven't heard of higher failure rates for the 700gb drives, so I'm assuming the technology is at least a bit sound. If it weren't I'm sure we'd be seeing widespred DON'T BUY THEEESSSEEEEE all over the internets.

MoxManiac

White Man said:
I dunno, it's only twice as bad as if one of my four 500gbs died. I'd just be sure that it was a wise investment and that the hardware was solid before I put my money down. I haven't heard of higher failure rates for the 700gb drives, so I'm assuming the technology is at least a bit sound. If it weren't I'm sure we'd be seeing widespred DON'T BUY THEEESSSEEEEE all over the internets.

You GB hog, share some of those GBs over here please!

In all seriousness I hate shopping for a new HDD because of high failure rates compared to other types of PC components. I guess it's why i'm still on this fossil of a drive since like 2000

metdroid said:
I'd be too paranoid and have to buy 2, using a second to back-up the first
That is what I do with my current HDD and I would do the same if I got this. Losing your HDD is the only hardware component of a PC you really can't afford to lose.

Raven.

Banned
metdroid said:
Imagine filling one up and then having it crap out on you

RAID is your friend, anyway I'm already dreaming of the endless possibilities this constant growth in space opens up(eventually PBs drool!). So much space, and eventually accompanying processing power, to efficiently use that enormous potential in non mundane (HD content... video diaries, etc.) tasks is a very interesting challenge indeed.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I Am Error said:
That is what I do with my current HDD and I would do the same if I got this. Losing your HDD is the only hardware component of a PC you really can't afford to lose.

I sort of do the same thing. I have 2 320GB internal drives, and 1 320GB external drive. 1 drive is OS + programs, other is data, and I use the external as a backup of my data drive.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I guess BluRay/HDDVD does have a purpose afterall - to back up that 1TB of data

Phoenix

maynerd said:
Crazy to think...what if the drive blows up. You'd lose a ton of data at once.

You'd have to be insane to use that drive standalone and not in a raid configuration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom