• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second Dawn of War expansion announced

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060130/lam008.html

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Jan. 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) and internal development studio Relic Entertainment today announced a second expansion pack to their award-winning real-time strategy hit Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War(TM). The add-on will include all-new explosive Dawn of War single-player action, new multiplayer content and two new playable races including the technologically devastating Tau, bringing the total number of playable races in Dawn of War to an unprecedented seven.

"We're extremely proud of the world-wide critical acclaim that the million-unit-selling Dawn of War franchise has received to-date," said Ron Moravek, general manager, Relic Entertainment. "With this latest expansion, we've taken feedback from the players to create a powerful, action-orientated single- and multiplayer experience that is enriched by the quality and depth of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Dawn of War will be forever reforged for the Greater Good!"

Set in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 universe, where armies of futuristic warriors, fighting machines and hordes of implacable aliens wage constant war, the game is expected to release in fall 2006. For more information on Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, please visit www.dawnofwargame.com.

So other then the Tau, I assume the second new race is going to be those Necron guys that attacked at the very end of Winter Assault.

Sinatar

Funky Papa said:
Bish needs to slap someone till we get some titans to tear shit up.

DoW2, make it happen!

Winter Assault had a Titan, that thing kicked all kinds of ass.

Sinatar

Do I get a free copy for posting this breaking news here in which by introducing this wonderful product to GAF I'm increasing the sales of said product by oh say, 700%?

I played this game in an internet cafe for a couple of weeks with a friend.

Definitely one of my favorite RTS games so far. The only complaint I have is, Where the HELL are the Tyranids? I mean, they are pretty much what the Zergs were based off of.

They would be a perfect addition to the game. =(

Borys

Banned
Wow, DoW+XP must have made some money... grats bishoptl :)

Screw The Outfit BTW ;p

We need new screens of that awesome WWII RTS!

Hooker

Tau should have been in the first expansion :/

Support is still lackluster, and Supreme Commander is coming :)

So buy for me this time

No.1

Borys said:
We need new screens of that awesome WWII RTS!

Company of Heroes? I'm looking forward to that also. The Outfit not so much.

Dawn of War has to be up there as being one of the best RTS games ever made, massive turn around for the Warhammer/Warhammer 40K franchise. Just goes to show what happens when a good developer work on the franchise.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Doing the Tyranids justice with the current engine isn't feasible. Sorry fellas.

I'm the associate producer on the expansion, which means you can yell at somebody else about your balance issues. :D

bishoptl said:
Doing the Tyranids justice with the current engine isn't feasible. Sorry fellas.

I'm the associate producer on the expansion, which means you can yell at somebody else about your balance issues. :D

Then make a new engine, DAM IT. We want results not excuses!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
bishoptl said:

So the second new race is Necrons, right? Damn it, where's a rebel Grot army when you need one? :(

golem

glad to see DOW is doing well, two new races are awesome. Hopefully you guys are working on DOW2 with the Company of Heroes engine..

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
"We're extremely proud of the world-wide critical acclaim that the million-unit-selling Dawn of War franchise has received to-date," said Ron Moravek, general manager, Relic Entertainment. "With this latest expansion, we've taken feedback from the players to create a powerful, action-orientated single- and multiplayer experience that is enriched by the quality and depth of the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Dawn of War will be forever reforged for the Greater Good!"
Seriously, he walks around the office talking like that all the time. Crazytown.

No.1

bishoptl, are there many actual Warhammer 40K fans on the team? I mean, Relic have managed to hit the nail on the head with Dawn of War

No.1 said:
bishoptl, are there many actual Warhammer 40K fans on the team? I mean, Relic have managed to hit the nail on the head with Dawn of War
I thought that Andy Chambers actually worked on DOW, or at least the expansion pack. Andy Chambers was the guy in charge of the table top game at Games Workshop for years.

etho55

I thought that Andy Chambers actually worked on DOW, or at least the expansion pack. Andy Chambers was the guy in charge of the table top game at Games Workshop for years.

There are two Andy/Andrew Chambers out there... Andy Chambers is with Games Workshop and works on the tabletop stuff. Andrew Chambers was the Lead Designer on WA at Relic. He's still at Relic and still a Lead Designer.

etho55 said:
There are two Andy/Andrew Chambers out there... Andy Chambers is with Games Workshop and works on the tabletop stuff. Andrew Chambers was the Lead Designer on WA at Relic. He's still at Relic and still a Lead Designer.
Oh wow. That is really confusing.

Top Bottom