• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

secret best Zelda-like Elliot Quest coming to Switch this week, 10/19

Mr. Hyde

This sounds wonderful. I will grab it on Switch. Maybe I should actually start playing my switch. Or any of the games I buy for any system.

maxcriden

I made a youtube video showing off some Switch footage.

https://youtu.be/fMo9HuC79AE

This is the one Switch game that treats the B button like the A/X button on Xbox & PS4. So it advances everything. You can't change it and it's hard to get adjusted.

Thanks for sharing the footage. I hope you are enjoying the game otherwise. I'm trying to remember if B was the advance button on Wii U also....

Nintendad

Thanks for sharing the footage. I hope you are enjoying the game otherwise. I'm trying to remember if B was the advance button on Wii U also....

I can't remember that either..I'm just so used to most games on the Switch making use of the A button as advance.

womp

It's been on deep discount there too, right? I wonder how it performed on the consoles and 3DS.

I bought it for ONE DOLLAR about a year and half ago for PC from an indies game site when it was on sale.

It's a cool game and I will probably double dip because I hadn't finished it and would more than likely do so now. $10 and portable.

maxcriden

Does the 3DS version have stereoscopic 3D?

I might buy it there if it does, love how that looks with 2D games.

Per the PR for the PS4/XB1/3DS release:

On top of already being the best Mega Man + Metroid + Cave Story + Zelda inspired game, we've added special collectibles, multiple save slots, EFIGS localization, achievements and trophies, plus stereoscopic 3D on the 3DS!

So yep, it sure does!

I bought it for ONE DOLLAR about a year and half ago for PC from an indies game site when it was on sale.

It's a cool game and I will probably double dip because I hadn't finished it and would more than likely do so now. $10 and portable.

Incredible price! And, I still need to finish the game myself. It's especially hard when going for 100%!

I think I’ll pick this up this Thursday. Looks cool.

Now, if I can just get someone to make a love letter game to Battle of Olympus. Or hell, just a virtual console release of the original.

What time will the eshop update to make this game available (in usa)? I'll probably buy this as something to play until mario comes out.

Lijik

Always meant to buy this on the wii u but never did, will definitely get it on the switch at some point soon

maxcriden

Always meant to buy this on the wii u but never did, will definitely get it on the switch at some point soon

I think it would be right up your alley, Lijik. Well, I know more about your taste in 3D games but given your encyclopedic knowledge of those I imagine you have a vast appreciation for 2D games also.

I got it on Wii U and got stuck and dropped it. Some of the changes sound nice, tho.
Would probably be a good fit on switch too

PetrCobra

So I don't own this game on Wii U and it even seems that this version will be cheaper for some reason, because currently it's 10 pounds on Wii U and something like 14 pounds on 3DS. I may bite.

I always wanted to play this game on Wii U, never got round to it though. Then I figured I might play on Xbox One for the Achievements but never did. I actually own it on Steam but I'm not much of a PC gamer.

I think Switch will be where I finally play it. :D

maxcriden

Update: PR from PlayEveryWare:

We are so excited to announce that Elliot Quest is AVAILABLE NOW for Nintendo Switch, in North America, Europe, and Japan.

Quick-links

Our brand new trailer for Nintendo Switch
Nintendo eShop Page

Since we first started our console journey with Wii U, we've always felt that Elliot Quest was the most at home on Nintendo systems. It's been a long road getting here, including the work in rebuilding the original HTML5 game in C++. And to celebrate, we've made a few additions to the game, including a fast teleport system and an easy mode!

A Nintendo 3DS patch is also releasing today, which includes the same content updates!

Thanks!
Thomas @playeveryware

orborborb

Don't know how I missed this, I 've checked all the new releases on all the consoles almost every week for the last 5 years or more and come to NeoGaf every day, and I've played a dozen similar games in that time on Steam (and even a couple exclusives of the recently defunct XBLA Indie) and NEVER noticed it or had it recommended.

And so far at least I'm enjoying it more than Axiom Verge, Ori, Shovel Knight, Momodora, Hyper Light Drifter, and many more less well known ones. The character designs, story, music and play control/physics aren't as good as those games, but the level design and overall sense of exploration and progression more than makes up for it.

Part of it may just be some influences from Kid Icarus, Mario 2, Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, and Cave Story that I've never seen picked up in another game.

About a hour or so in and I'm enjoying it. Playing on extreme, though not sure what the differences actually are. This should happily hold me until mario next week.

I'm at what I assume is the first dungeon (with the skeletons) and I really like the hazards. Very zelda-like with the spiky moving balls.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thanks for the heads up on this. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

(I wish there were a thread for all these weekly Switch releases. Most I have no idea about at all.)

ryushe

I don't know about Zelda II, but this reminds me a lot of the amazing Adventure Time Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage for the 3DS... Which... was just Zelda II 😌

Anyway, I definitely have to check this out onc I clear up my Switch backlog.

maxcriden

Don't know how I missed this, I 've checked all the new releases on all the consoles almost every week for the last 5 years or more and come to NeoGaf every day, and I've played a dozen similar games in that time on Steam (and even a couple exclusives of the recently defunct XBLA Indie) and NEVER noticed it or had it recommended.

And so far at least I'm enjoying it more than Axiom Verge, Ori, Shovel Knight, Momodora, Hyper Light Drifter, and many more less well known ones. The character designs, story, music and play control/physics aren't as good as those games, but the level design and overall sense of exploration and progression more than makes up for it.

Part of it may just be some influences from Kid Icarus, Mario 2, Zelda 2, Castlevania 2, and Cave Story that I've never seen picked up in another game.

I'm really just pleased as punch to read this, orborborb. I found it just has that special je ne sais quoi to it that made it really endear itself to me in its gameplay. So I'm hoping you'll continue to be impressed with it. (I still really want to play HLD. I will say I love Ori as well.)

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

(I wish there were a thread for all these weekly Switch releases. Most I have no idea about at all.)

No prob! Here is a monthly thread in the community forum and it's kept up to date very swiftly:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1441040

There is also sometimes a week releases thread like the one Jonneh made this week:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448666

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Max is this version the fixed version from the PC?

I'm probably in as I skipped it on the Wii U do to the bugs, but I'm probably in if it's the bug free variant.

maxcriden

So Max is this version the fixed version from the PC?

I'm probably in as I skipped it on the Wii U do to the bugs, but I'm probably in if it's the bug free variant.

It should be. I can ask the publisher if you like. I haven't heard of any issues with this version yet.

dochuge

Does anyone know how you exit a level? It just puts you in one and you need to go all the way to the other side to exit. And some I can’t figure out where the exit is.

orioto

Good Art™
Does anyone know how you exit a level? It just puts you in one and you need to go all the way to the other side to exit. And some I can’t figure out where the exit is.

There is a skill to teleport at some point, but only to some points in the map and sometimes they are far away.

Elliot Quest is really an amazing game. My fav game of 2014 (or was it 2015?) I called it a "Zel-mar-icaroid" in my steam review. :D

Top Bottom