• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake (PC/Vita/PS4, February 15th, 2018) Trailer

kromeo

Tiger boss is the hardest part of the game, I think it's about the last thing you have to do with no magic

pure lands is worse if you miss the last shop

Yeah... there was never an official English title so should it get localized, not sure what it could be.

Adventures -> Secret - > ????.

A lot of people seem to be hot on Secret of Mana 2. Knowing that they don't really consider it a direct sequel, it'll probably have a brand new English title, at least I think that would be preferable over just calling it SoM2.

I always preferred "War of Mana". But I also like "Mystery" and "Journey" as SD3's english name.

I used to like "adventures" and "heroes" but those were used for different games. "Crusade" used to be up there but I don't like it anymore.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I think it looks fine. I thought Adventures of Mana was pretty great on Vita. I never really liked Secret of Mana as much as Final Fantasy Adventure, but I'll definitely get this. I hope they bring Adventures to PS4 too. I'd like to have them all on there.

Astrael

I always preferred "War of Mana". But I also like "Mystery" and "Journey" as SD3's english name.

I used to like "adventures" and "heroes" but those were used for different games. "Crusade" used to be up there but I don't like it anymore.

Had this discussion with my friend a couple months ago when the collection got announced. War of Mana was one of the first ones we tossed around, too, but I think the one we came up that I personally liked the most (given the story of the game and its place between Secret and Dawn) was Twilight of Mana.

I wonder if the inevitable Seiken 3 remake will also be 3-player.
I also wonder what they plan to call it when localized.

Yeah... there was never an official English title so should it get localized, not sure what it could be.

Adventures -> Secret - > ????.

A lot of people seem to be hot on Secret of Mana 2. Knowing that they don't really consider it a direct sequel, it'll probably have a brand new English title, at least I think that would be preferable over just calling it SoM2.

Heroes of Mana 2.

zeopower6

I think it looks fine. I thought Adventures of Mana was pretty great on Vita. I never really liked Secret of Mana as much as Final Fantasy Adventure, but I'll definitely get this. I hope they bring Adventures to PS4 too. I'd like to have them all on there.

I think Adventures is definitely coming out. Maybe that same month?

Heroes of Mana 2 would probably confuse people, lol.

I do think they'll probably give it a Mana title though for the sake of consistency.

DonMigs85

I guess a netbook or something like a GPD Win can probably run this perfectly. It looks less demanding than Trails of Cold Steel

Secret of Mana 2 would appeal to the nostalgic fandom in the same way as Starfox 2, and it was also the title that Square USA used in magazines before it was decided that the game wouldn't be localized (i.e. it's technically not a fanmade name).

On the other hand, I do like how Twilight of Mana fits with Dawn and Secret.

I wish they had just renumbered them. So Adventures of Mana could have been secret of mana, this would now be secret of mana 2 and if they bring over SD3, that would just be SoM3

Jer

Neat. I think the art looks fine, but I'm usually pretty easy to please, I thought phone FF6 looked fine too. Excited for a better translation, the SNES one was pretty brutal.

Neat. I think the art looks fine, but I'm usually pretty easy to please, I thought phone FF6 looked fine too. Excited for a better translation, the SNES one was pretty brutal.

image.php

aadiboy

Secret of Mana 2 is a terrible name, and I don't why people keep saying that should be the title when the series has literally never done that before.

120v

they should just call every succeeding game Secret of Mana # since that's what it's globally known as. and it sounds cooler

Nerrel

Game is getting rave responses on the Steam community page:

"Square- you're dead to me. This looks terrible, and the original is one of my favorites. Good thing my cartridge still works. Why the hell did you voice it? Especially the silent protagonist? Just...wtf are you doing with your lives? All the people with good ideas left Square long ago. $40 is just stupid. In case it wasn't clear - you're dead to me, Square."

"$40 for visual downgrade of SNES rom"

"See, this sh*t. This sh*t right here, is why ROMs, emulators, and piracy exist. Holy crap, what a total ripoff. This is shameful, guys. Seriously. "

"Do Not buy this- Secret of Mana is my favorite game of all time. ... Go get yourself an emulator and play the "original". ... A 3d upgrade, and a graphics DOWNGRADE. Trust me, the sprites from the SNES version will look better than this any day of the week"

"never ever ever. and im not exagerating. never ever have i seen a game soooooooo expensive when the original allready looks better then this garbage here."

"They have destroyed the charm. By making it 3D, they don't add anything."

"Sorry but it looks fugly.. and the voices are dumb too, i rather play the snes version."

"Square has no idea what made them good 20 years ago. "

"The graphics are heinous :( "

"Another legendary RPG legendarily destroyed by Square Enix. Why the most succesful japanese company treats with their gems like if it was just garbage?"

"Anyone else thinks the graphics somehow look a bit worse than the SNES version? Maybe they just had a better art staff back then, but the graphics in the newer just looks significantly worse even though it's in 3D."

"Why is this game so ugly?"

qxy0g.gif

Fou-Lu

I might have to buy 14 copies to make up for those people just so Square knows I at least want more remakes like this rather than like FFV and VI, but that they don't have to be at FF7 Remake level.

jb1234

I think they would have dodged at least some of this if they had been upfront on the actual gameplay changes they're making. The only thing people really have to focus on are the graphics.

(Especially since the extent of the musical changes also remains unclear.)

Again, I can accept the aesthetic if Square has taken the time to fix the completely broken combat of the original.

Also, I wonder how moddable the game will be?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Game is getting rave responses on the Steam community page:

"Square- you're dead to me. This looks terrible, and the original is one of my favorites. Good thing my cartridge still works. Why the hell did you voice it? Especially the silent protagonist? Just...wtf are you doing with your lives? All the people with good ideas left Square long ago. $40 is just stupid. In case it wasn't clear - you're dead to me, Square."

"$40 for visual downgrade of SNES rom"

"See, this sh*t. This sh*t right here, is why ROMs, emulators, and piracy exist. Holy crap, what a total ripoff. This is shameful, guys. Seriously. "

"Do Not buy this- Secret of Mana is my favorite game of all time. ... Go get yourself an emulator and play the "original". ... A 3d upgrade, and a graphics DOWNGRADE. Trust me, the sprites from the SNES version will look better than this any day of the week"

"never ever ever. and im not exagerating. never ever have i seen a game soooooooo expensive when the original allready looks better then this garbage here."

"They have destroyed the charm. By making it 3D, they don't add anything."

"Sorry but it looks fugly.. and the voices are dumb too, i rather play the snes version."

"Square has no idea what made them good 20 years ago. "

"The graphics are heinous :( "

"Another legendary RPG legendarily destroyed by Square Enix. Why the most succesful japanese company treats with their gems like if it was just garbage?"

"Anyone else thinks the graphics somehow look a bit worse than the SNES version? Maybe they just had a better art staff back then, but the graphics in the newer just looks significantly worse even though it's in 3D."

"Why is this game so ugly?"

qxy0g.gif
They're not wrong. xD

Randi was never a silent protagonist

People actually thought he was, what? Randi talks several times during the game. He has a set personality.

Most notably for me, when he says "fuck this" and chops possessed Dyluck's ass after he hears him shit talking Primm for coming after him.

Nerrel

I might have to buy 14 copies to make up for those people just so Square knows I at least want more remakes like this rather than like FFV and VI, but that they don't have to be at FF7 Remake level.

Fuck I hate that 'complaining' seems to be the default state of most people.

Those complaints might be over the top but they're not unjustified. I don't think anyone expected FF7 remake's production values, but even considering the low budget for this it doesn't look very good. Look at Ocarina of Time 3D/ Majora's Mask 3D, and how happy people generally were and still are with the visuals in those games. It's possible to do a low poly handheld-level game that still looks great if the art direction is strong enough. A 3DS game released 6 years ago for the same price has much more effective visuals than this game releasing on PS4 next year.

Again, I can accept the aesthetic if Square has taken the time to fix the completely broken combat of the original.

I can as well, but it'll still be a shame to leave such a visually charming game behind for something that looks average at best. I don't think this can possibly be the kind of remake that renders the original obsolete because of that, no matter how great the gameplay changes end up being.

While I'm willing to try this remake, I can understand some of the disappointment. Secret of Mana is a title that's highly regarded and adored by a lot of individuals who grew up playing it during the SNES era. The general expectation was that a title of its apparent magnitude in the hearts and memories of a sizable portion of gamers would get the higher budget treatment — no matter how unlikely that was given the team size and history.

There are some really fucking stupid hot takes and an unwillingness to give it a chance, but I get some of the disappointment.

zeopower6

Well, a lot of people don't really know the context of how this came to be so for some people it's like "This is gonna basically be like the old one but HD, right?" or "FFVII full HD remake" but if neither of those are fulfilled, this is basically horrible. It's always the people who complain that are the most vocal.

I think with the examples of "OoT/MM 3D", those games were in 3D to begin with. I don't think they can really do a proper "2D remake" without quite a lot of manpower, so the options are either 3D or not at all.

Nerrel

I think with the examples of "OoT/MM 3D", those games were in 3D to begin with. I don't think they can really do a proper "2D remake" without quite a lot of manpower, so the options are either 3D or not at all.

My point is that those Zeldas are 3D games that manage to look great with a similarly low level of technical sophistication to this. They're low-poly/low-res handheld games, but they have an atmosphere and attention to detail that shines through and makes them look great. This game doesn't have that kind of magic or soul in it. I'd be fine with 3D visuals if they worked and communicated the spirit of the original game well. This just looks cheap and it's clear that they're not investing a penny more into it than they have to. I can't really imagine them going any more "budget" with the visuals than this in a 2018 release... they must know there's a bare minimum level of quality people will accept for a beloved game like this, and I feel like they're scraping along it.

The game will be playable at PAX West, so within a few days we should have an idea of how it plays.

zeopower6

I don't know, I think it captures the vibe of an SNES game in 3D rather well. It probably could be helped with some cel shading or something but it almost literally looks exactly like how a lot of SNES games would look if they were remade in 3D with top-down.

I think there are clear improvements on the base engine from (Rise) -> Adventures -> now. And with the promise of things being a bit more 'gorgeous' if SD3 ends up getting made in this engine (though it's more like a when imo since this is gonna sell well anyway in Japan) I am only optimistic.

Secret of Mana 2 is a terrible name, and I don't why people keep saying that should be the title when the series has literally never done that before.

Secret of Mana is a great name, and the "2" indicates that it's the successor to one of the greatest action RPGs of all time. I don't know why you think it's a terrible name. It fits a recent trend of sequel names appealing to great classics, like The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods 2.

The series may never have done that before, but they were going to since "Secret of Mana 2" is what Square USA called the game before localization was quietly canceled.

zeopower6

Secret of Mana is a great name, and the "2" indicates that it's the successor to one of the greatest action RPGs of all time. I don't know why you think it's a terrible name. It fits a recent trend of sequel names appealing to great classics, like The Legend of Zelda: Triforce of the Gods 2.

The series may never have done that before, but they were going to since "Secret of Mana 2" is what Square USA called the game before localization was quietly canceled.

It would probably be the best course of action simply because fans will probably recognize it immediately as being SD3 and others would infer that it's related to what will release in February. A new name would muddle things a bit much though it is a bit weird for them to use sequel numbering for the English names when it was only really done for Japanese titles and if they just called it "Seiken Densetsu 3" that wouldn't really tell anyone anything who may be new to the games.

"Secret of Mana 2" is silly and inconsistent in the face of the rest of the franchise's English naming scheme, but it's better and less confusing than "Secret of Mana 3" that a lot of import shops were throwing around in the 90's.

aadiboy

All of this pandering to the English speaking audience is what got us FF4 changed to FF2 and FF6 changed to FF3. People aren't that stupid anymore, anyone with a brain can understand that a game with " of Mana" in the title is related to Secret of Mana, or at least google it and find out in 5 seconds. Otherwise Adventures of Mana would have been called Secret of Mana 0, Chrono Cross would have been called Chrono Trigger 2, etc.

zeopower6

All of this pandering to the English speaking audience is what got us FF4 changed to FF2 and FF6 changed to FF3. People aren't that stupid anymore, anyone with a brain can understand that a game with " of Mana" in the title is related to Secret of Mana, or at least google it and find out in 5 seconds. Otherwise Adventures of Mana would have been called Secret of Mana 0, Chrono Cross would have been called Chrono Trigger 2, etc.

With no official English title though, the only official word from with Square and even from translators back then was that it would be called Secret of Mana 2. It's just easier that way, really.

Save the new title for SD5.

ccbfan

Any news on gameplay enhancements.

The original was fun but the gameplay extremely broken. Magic chains for max damage basically broke the game. While having to wait for your weapons to recharge which made it useless compared to magic.

DonMigs85

The original was fun but the gameplay extremely broken. Magic chains for max damage basically broke the game. While having to wait for your weapons to recharge which made it useless compared to magic.
True, the bosses could rarely get an attack in. This is one area that I feel Secret of Evermore addressed properly.

fester

Banned

Corporations aren't here to do us any favors, they are in business to make money. If the product they are making isn't something people like, they are well within their rights to voice that opinion.

zeopower6

All we know is that gameplay was "brushed up" for the latest hardware.

Corporations aren't here to do us any favors, they are in business to make money. If the product they are making isn't something people like, they are well within their rights to voice that opinion.

True but this was sort of the plan since Adventures of Mana. Also if this does well I think we'll see the first English version and remake of SD3. And this is also rather far along so I don't think complaining about it will do much at this point. I do think though buying this and saying "do better for the next one" will affect how that turns out.

Top Bottom