• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Sequels to video games

HotHamBoy

Tekken and Soul Calibur are in the same universe, with some stages shared between games, only set at different periods of time.

Don't forget Yoshimitsu.

I feel like Cyberpunk is going to be some kind of weird sequel to the Witcher games because of that Ciri teaser in Witcher 3. But then it just may end up being an easter egg.

No way, The Witcher is a franchise of books that existed before the video games.

For that matter, the games are just glorified fan fiction.

mclem

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
ends with the first scene of Super Mario 3D World

Also
A number of levels unlocked after that (if I've got the sequence of unlocks correct) are directly levels from 3D World adapted slightly for Toad.

retroman

Didn't find out until recently that Kung Fu Kid is a sequel to some old SG-1000 game called Dragon Wang.

Dragon Wang:
dragonwang-03.png

Kung Fu Kid:
kungfukid-01.png

Kneefoil

I wonder if Mother 3 was advertised as a sequel to Mother 2. The game at least starts off as seemingly unconnected to it and works as a standalone story on its own, but it is definitely a sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Might've been posted already, but Dino Crisis had multiple Umbrella logo placements. Possibly set in the same universe. Can't find a better screenshot at work unfortunately.

bdsm2.jpg

Can someone explain all the links between the Kirby games?

The Nier and Drakengard one is the raddesf.

Well I can't do all of them off hand, but for my contribution (
Amazing Mirror
and
Triple Deluxe
):

At the end of Triple Deluxe you may notice that the Dimensional Mirror is in background of the main villain's lair, but no attention is brought to it. When you play through the game with Dedede afterwards, you fight the DX version of every boss, including the final boss whose description reads:

“Sectonia and Taranza were once good friends, but Sectonia became obsessed with vanity and delusions of grandeur. It wasn't long before her heart went evil, turning her into the power-hungry monarch she is today.”

It's implied she was corrupted by the Dimensional Mirror to become the main antagonist, but this is furthered by the fact that she actually isn't the final boss in Dedede's mode. The corrupted mirror appears and creates Shadow Dedede to fight, and then Dark Meta Knight reveals himself as the figure behind corrupting the mirror and using it for revenge. Dedede finally destroys the mirror once and for all after the battle.

Of course, Dedede's mode isn't technically canon, so Dark Meta Knight's involvement may not be a thing and the mirror is probably still in tact, but the Dimensional Mirror still appears in the main game and it's confirmed that it's the reason for Sectonia causing the events of Triple Deluxe.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Mega Man Legends is secretly a sequel to Classical/X/Zero, set in the far future after robots and people became indistinguishable, though you probably wouldn't guess it from playing it.

I just beat MML2 and in one scene they mention that Mega Man Volnutt was named after the lead character of an old video game. So MML may not be a sequel but it takes place in a world where the MM series exists as video games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just beat MML2 and in one scene they mention that Mega Man Volnutt was named after the lead character of an old video game. So MML may not be a sequel but it takes place in a world where the MM series exists as video games.
I can see why someone would think this, but it definitely goes Classic -> X -> Zero -> ZX -> Legends.

LordOfChaos

Burial at Sea episode 2 tied into the original Bioshock in a really neat way. You knew it would be in rapture, but directly impacting the beginning of the first game was awesome.

Audette

Might've been posted already, but Dino Crisis had multiple Umbrella logo placements. Possibly set in the same universe. Can't find a better screenshot at work unfortunately.

bdsm2.jpg

That symbol is just the Radiation warning. Umbrella logo is different.

Officially speaking it's a sequel. The timeline is canonically Classic > X >> Zero > ZX >>>>>> Legends. The ties between Legends and the rest aren't as strong since it takes place so much further after ZX, but there are a lot of concepts (i.e. Elysium and Neo Arcadia, Reploids and Carbons, etc.) and designs (i.e. some early reaverbot-like designs late in ZXA) that string them together thematically.

I think MM existing as video games in the world still makes sense as more than an easter egg, though, given the amount of time that has passed.

EDIT: beaten and crying like an MML3 fan on demo night

Berordn

Can someone explain all the links between the Kirby games?

All the Kirby games actually take place chronologically by release date. Starting in Return to Dream Land (and building off of a character in Super Star Ultra) there's been some minor development of a technologically advanced precursor race that mysteriously vanished.

Their technology was similarly unable to completely analyze and comprehend Dark Matter, a recurring threat from earlier in the Kirby series.

While the game's plots tend not to address this directly, they've been using it as motivation for why certain characters are becoming threats in the series.

LordCiego

Rival School isn´t linked with Street Fighter universe? Even Sakura appears on the first game.

Garou Mark of The Wolves is just not a sequel to Fatal Fury 3, isn´t a sequel to most of The King of Fighters Games, due to share the same universe?

Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting share the same timeline, but King of Fighters games are set on a different timeline/universe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That symbol is just the Radiation warning. Umbrella logo is different.

yeah, that's the closest approximation I could find via google images, most websites don't run at work so I'm a bit limited on that.

but the game does for sure have the umbrella logo in it

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Garou Mark of The Wolves is just not a sequel to Fatal Fury 3, isn´t a sequel to most of The King of Fighters Games, due to share the same universe?

Unless someone changed something later on...no. The timeline is Art Of Fighting > Fatal Fury/Real Bout > Garou. The events in AOF take place some years before FF-- Young Geese is the hidden boss of AOF2, and his stage displays the plans for the Geese Tower, which you fight on in the FF games.

In KOF, the characters are all about the same age and dead characters like Geese pop up, so they're thought to be separate universes or whatever. Really it's just bad fighting game storytelling, as usual. :p

jackal27

Banned
For me DQ 3 is the best example of this, now admittedly I had no idea how this game was marketed in the past or if the connection to the first two was known but when I initially started it I assumed it was an entirely new world and story.
Oh yeah! Spoilers, but yeah Dragon Quest 3 is the perfect example.
It's a prequel to the very first Dragon Quest. You're playing as the legendary hero that inspires the Dragon Quest 1 protagonist.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ciri shows up in Cyberpunk as an easter egg. It wouldn't be a sequel to anything though, considering Ciri doesn't move forwards or backwards in time, she moves between dimensions.
I agree that it would just be an easter egg if anything due to them being 2 separate pre-existing universes, but you're very incorrect in thinking Ciri doesn't move forwards and backwards in time. She moves through both dimensions and time.

People already explained, but I wanted to point out that this Mega Man being a video game was added in the localization. Originally he was named Rock, as in Rock & Roll.

The japanese version is also more explicit in the connection to the X series, with Purifier Units being called Maverick Hunters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, another one is Tales of Symphonia -> Phantasia.

Symphonia is a distant prequel to Phantasia. Unlike Berseria -> Zestiria, this was not advertised at all and was something that was not emphasized in game. You notice familiar names pop up throughout Symphonia, and as the game goes on, the connections become stronger and stronger until you realize... wow, this is actually in the same world.

The merged worlds in Symphonia 2 look like the world map in Phantasia.http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14601131&postcount=1893

Fancolors

Yeah. FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, FFXII, and FFXII:RW are all set in the same world.

And so is Vagrant Story.

So I guess FFXII is secretly a Vagrant Story sequel?
FFTA is set in the same St Ivalice as FFTA2, but the fantasy world is not the same Ivalice as the others, being an illusion created by the grimoire.

eso76

Didn't find out until recently that Kung Fu Kid is a sequel to some old SG-1000 game called Dragon Wang.

Dragon Wang:
dragonwang-03.png

Kung Fu Kid:
kungfukid-01.png

I like how your posts always match your username and avatar.
You truly are the Retroman.

Also I am sure i knew of a few, but can currently only think of Mercs.
Which is only a secret sequel in western countries anyway, because the game was officially released as Commando 2 in Japan.

Sakujou

Banned
secret sequels?

does that include spin-offs?
drakengard and nier arent sequels, nier is a spin-off, as far as i know.

can we define secret sequels first?

dmc and bayonetta= i would say this is an indirect spin-off since it uses something from the main-game, but it is located somewhere else.
drakengard and nier=nier is officially a spin-off.

so what is a secret sequel?

banjo-kazooie and yooka-laylee sounds to me like a spiritual successor. it could count as a secret sequel, since the original company wont produce anymore games like this and some of the devs are involved in YL.

i would say protect me knight and gotta protectors is counting.
both games look the same, its the same company, but it is marketed and released on different platforms without mentioning being the sequel of the other game.

also xenogears and xenosaga?
different companies, different platforms and not an obvious clear telling in the foreground that this is game-series going on for some decades with so many games already released.

Krooner

Burnout_Dominator_PS2_m_1_2x-bdb43.jpg

The lost fifth Burnout game. people seem to forget it exists, I know huge series fans that have never played it.

I believe it was actually also being developed for the oXBOX, but Microsoft wanted devs to move to the 360 once the original console hit profitability. It was a pretty shitty move on MS' part to be honest, the first sign of the kind of hubris that would bite them on the arse at the launch of the X1. (N.B. I'm not talking about Dominator specifically here, rather their abandoning of the oXBOX on the whole.)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
secret sequels?

does that include spin-offs?
drakengard and nier arent sequels, nier is a spin-off, as far as i know.

can we define secret sequels first?

dmc and bayonetta= i would say this is an indirect spin-off since it uses something from the main-game, but it is located somewhere else.
drakengard and nier=nier is officially a spin-off.

so what is a secret sequel?

banjo-kazooie and yooka-laylee sounds to me like a spiritual successor. it could count as a secret sequel, since the original company wont produce anymore games like this and some of the devs are involved in YL.

i would say protect me knight and gotta protectors is counting.
both games look the same, its the same company, but it is marketed and released on different platforms without mentioning being the sequel of the other game.

also xenogears and xenosaga?
different companies, different platforms and not an obvious clear telling in the foreground that this is game-series going on for some decades with so many games already released.

You won't accept D
rakengard
and N
ier
, but you come up with those examples?

Top Bottom