• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret World Legends |OT| The Return of Cthulhu ft. Soviet Space Vampires

For me it depends. I don't mind it as long as the AP/SP gain is reasonably balanced which, so far, seems to be the case.

Much worse for me are the daily limit on dungeons, the meagre patron rewards and the really boring loot system.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
also scummy, and correct me if im wrong, those purple boxes you start getting all over the place around lvl 15. As far as I can tell, those keys are from real money only right?

If not I apologise.

Mostly, yes. Patrons receive 1 key every day. I don't really mind their implementation as you can also sell them for 50 shards each if you have no keys.

Mithos

also scummy, and correct me if im wrong, those purple boxes you start getting all over the place around lvl 15. As far as I can tell, those keys are from real money only right?

If not I apologise.

Real money/subscription/patron rewards.

I really don't understand Funcom's monetization strategy here.

- Casual players will likely not spend a dime and will simply complete the story. Also all story content and future issues will be free so they won't generate any income.
- Hardcore players are turned off by the daily dungeon key limit and cap on Marks of Favour. Their daily progression is severely limited.

So far these restrictions seem reasonable for f2p players. But the problem is that Patron status does not lift these restrictions. You get to run 3 instead of 1.5 dungeons a day. Your Marks of Favour are still capped at the same amount.

I highly encourage everyone to play this game and experience the amazing storyline and quests but so far endgame content doesn't seem worth the hassle.

Menome

he asked if the monitization was scummy, and I anwsered, in fact, I didnt even say if I thought that was scummy or not, I left it up to him (for the record, I think its SUPER scummy). I didnt say you couldnt get skill points yourself.

All I did was give the counter-point to your statement to show progress isn't completely blocked off if you don't pay up. Why on earth are you being so defensive? :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All I did was give the counter-point to your statement to show progress isn't completely blocked off if you don't pay up. Why on earth are you being so defensive? :/

im being defensive? you literally acted like the typical defense force by imediatly going "but but you dont have to pay!". Again, I never said "skill points are locked behind a paywall"

whatever dude, like I said above, you have your opinion, I have mine. The more I delve into the game, the more Im soured on their f2p model, if you're cool with it, more power to you.

- Casual players will likely not spend a dime and will simply complete the story. Also all story content and future issues will be free so they won't generate any income.
- Hardcore players are turned off by the daily dungeon key limit and cap on Marks of Favour. Their daily progression is severely limited.

So far these restrictions seem reasonable for f2p players. But the problem is that Patron status does not lift these restrictions. You get to run 3 instead of 1.5 dungeons a day. Your Marks of Favour are still capped at the same amount.

I highly encourage everyone to play this game and experience the amazing storyline and quests but so far endgame content doesn't seem worth the hassle.

I'm in agreement there. Yes. Play the game, experience the awesome story. Play Illuminati.

But as someone who has a group that is going to want to run dungeons, crush end game stuff, and work hard playing with friends... I want that 13 dollars a month to throw all those restrictions on dungeon running out the window at least. The Patron's will be able to grind out that fancy gear to make their endgame more rewarding, and they can funnel unwanted stuff to the Auction House (if that ever gets straight) for the F2P peoples to access, which should keep item prices reasonable. If they make the game fun and rewarding, they'll make enough money from cosmetic sales. Possibly. I dunno.

As someone who invested a nice chunk of money into the original I'd really like some more bonuses. But I'll take what I got.

bleaker

Actually this strategy worked out pretty well for DCU Online, at least I think that game is doing well. I didn't mind it back when I played it.

Menome

im being defensive? you literally acted like the typical defense force by imediatly going "but but you dont have to pay!". Again, I never said "skill points are locked behind a paywall"

whatever dude, like I said above, you have your opinion, I have mine. The more I delve into the game, the more Im soured on their f2p model, if you're cool with it, more power to you.

I was just pointing out that the pay-for-skills side of things thankfully doesn't hinder the player at all in being able to play the game, even at the early stages.

I don't like the idea of paying for skills either and I'd prefer that it wasn't there. Just didn't want someone mistakenly avoiding giving the game a try because they might have assumed major amount of skill-progress was money-gated.

Rhaknar

I was just pointing out that the pay-for-skills side of things thankfully doesn't hinder the player at all in being able to play the game, even at the early stages.

I don't like the idea of paying for skills either and I'd prefer that it wasn't there. Just didn't want someone mistakenly avoiding giving the game a try because they might have assumed major amount of skill-progress was money-gated.

my bad then, i'm having a bad day, im getting pissy with a lot of random shit today.

Menome

my bad then, i'm having a bad day, im getting pissy with a lot of random shit today.

Don't worry about it, no harm done.

On the good side of the game: I'm envious of new players getting to experience some of this content for the first time, such as
The Black House
or
Last Train To Cairo
. The former was a masterpiece at making me feel genuine dread from just a tiny playing space.

cj_iwakura

Don't worry about it, no harm done.

On the good side of the game: I'm envious of new players getting to experience some of this content for the first time, such as
The Black House
or
Last Train To Cairo
. The former was a masterpiece at making me feel genuine dread from just a tiny playing space.

I'm not sure I saw the second one... but I pretty much blitzed Egypt. It wasn't fun for me.

Menome

I'm not sure I saw the second one... but I pretty much blitzed Egypt. It wasn't fun for me.

It was one of the 'Issue' mission-packs that just about made the original Egypt slog worth it with that final mission.

Looking forward to doing the mission-packs I missed out on when I left, as they were good story-heavy chunks of refined content.

Rhaknar

no matter how I feel about the f2p...ness of it, I still mantain its totally worth playing it as a single player type thing just for the story, those investigation missions, even with guides, are fantastic.

cj_iwakura

It was one of the 'Issue' mission-packs that just about made the original Egypt slog worth it with that final mission.

Looking forward to doing the mission-packs I missed out on when I left, as they were good story-heavy chunks of refined content.

So it's something I had to buy?
no matter how I feel about the f2p...ness of it, I still mantain its totally worth playing it as a single player type thing just for the story, those investigation missions, even with guides, are fantastic.

I'm legit sad this isn't on consoles, I feel like it would be a terrific offline game.

cj_iwakura

Transylvania has the best NPCs.

DDdLo-jUwAAGckj.jpg

DDdLo-rU0AAFhzh.jpg

DDdLo-tUQAAtCQf.jpg

The best.

Rhaknar

what "issue" is the f2p version up to? 8?

I really dislike the new equipment system btw. It's just boring and I have like 5 unopened weapon- and talisman bags each because I can't be bothered to actually open them - there's nothing interesting in there anyway and they'd just take up inventory-space unless I'd fuse them, which I don't want because it costs money and the game is so easy that it doesn't matter. I'm only fusing because of the daily challenge..

agreed.

Ascheroth

I really dislike the new equipment system btw. It's just boring and I have like 5 unopened weapon- and talisman bags each because I can't be bothered to actually open them - there's nothing interesting in there anyway and they'd just take up inventory-space unless I'd fuse them, which I don't want because it costs money and the game is so easy that it doesn't matter. I'm only fusing because of the daily challenge..

what "issue" is the f2p version up to? 8?

agreed.

Yes, I think so. All pre-Tokyo content should be in the game. I'm not sure if issue 14 is also in the game, another awesome series of missions in Egypt.

Issue 1-4: Extra missions in all zones and the Manhattan Exclusion Zone Raid
Issue 5-7: Three quest lines to provide a (very satisfying!) conclusion to the New England, Egypt and Transylvania story lines. Highly suggested to play each of these issues AFTER finishing the corresponding story in those zones.
Issue 8: Scenario's and the prelude to Tokyo. I don't think the last part is in the game already.
Issue 9-13: TOKYO BABY
Issue 14: Another great series of missions in Egypt.
Issue 15: Lots of investigation and action missions, primarily in Tokyo

Ascheroth

Got my first lootboxes. Can you get keys without paying or do you just sell the boxes?

Btw, I think the museum is a really cool idea.

m_dorian

Allready at 15. There's no loot. Nothing.
If this contunues i think i ll drop the game earlier than i did the last time.

Ricker

I thought it was today on Steam but its the end of July...I played the beta for this,also Conan,I have a account and all but it's not working,even if I do the forgot password thing...did they have a hacking scare a while back and resetted everything...?

Anyway,if I want to play now guess I will create a new account at Funcom.

Ascheroth

Well I've just went through my first dungeon, Polaris solo.
My current build is basically unkillable (chaos is awesome) but I feel like damage is a little lacking. Maybe I'll have to switch out Blood for something else :/ ...Not that I'm actually using blood much, but it looks cool if I do. Welp. I don't really want to go back to elemental, so maybe I'll check guns, but I'll see. It's not exactly urgent.

Anyway, the dungeon was cool, but the loot system is fucking awful. Did they set out of to try and create the most demotivating loot system in existence? I went through an entire dungeon and got fuck all equipment, just those upgrade thingies. God damn.

SEASON TWO INFO COMING NEXT WEEK OMG BONER FROM HERE TO CONGO (antarctica / the moon is also acceptable)

Also info on Tokyo and Aegis

very, very happy with the changes I am seeing there, seems like Funcom is really listening to the feedback from the community

still limited dungeon keys though =(

-Patron now has value.
-Weapon unlocks are friendlier for newer players to try out or change weapons types.
-Trading from level 15+ for non-patrons
-Better dungeon

Hype level is going back up. Quite busy irl now so I am still in Savage Coast but can't wait to see Elite Dungeons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretWorldLegends/comments/6khhid/upcoming_changes_from_slide_stream/

all changes

also everyone will receive compensation (AP/SP/MoF/Shards) for downtime

Haven't played in ages, might give it a go again. Are they phasing out vanilla TSW for Legends or vanilla be up for at least another year or three? Debating whether or not to play Legends or log back into my vanilla account.

Vanilla TSW will stay up but I highly encourage you to play Legends because TSW won't see any more content updates. I also doubt you'll find many people to run dungeons with. Seeing as you haven't played in ages and Secret World is a very story-heavy game I recommend just starting over.

Also, as you can see, Funcom has addressed a lot of the paywall concerns players have voiced over the last week.

Still can't believe I will see the release of season 2 during my lifetime. Please don't you dare fuck this up Funcom. I always thought it was just vapourware. A carrot on a stick to keep false hope alive.

Won

Played this a bit over the week. Still janky as ever, still doesn't run that well on my machine. But it's still hard to put down, once you get going, despite having already done all this stuff years ago.

Need to focus a bit on getting those marks, so I can start playing dress up.

Played this a bit over the week. Still janky as ever, still doesn't run that well on my machine. But it's still hard to put down, once you get going, despite having already done all this stuff years ago.

Need to focus a bit on getting those marks, so I can start playing dress up.
Shame most of the actually-decent clothing is locked behind the microtransaction paywall. Or is there another way to obtain aurum besides paying for it?

Won

Patron changes actually made me look up what you are actually geting atm and what it costs and just had to laugh. Quite pathetic.

Shame most of the actually-decent clothing is locked behind the microtransaction paywall. Or is there another way to obtain aurum besides paying for it?

There is a Mark <> Aurum exchange in the auction house window.

Tendo

Can someone help me out? I normally tank in games so i went with shotgun and hammers. I'm not sure which skills I should invest my AP to get a skill set to let me do that?

Patison

Can someone help me out? I normally tank in games so i went with shotgun and hammers. I'm not sure which skills I should invest my AP to get a skill set to let me do that?

There are no real tested builds yet but by leveling to 50 you'll be able to get all active skills for at least 2 weapons, so feel free to experiment! Also, there's no cap, so eventually you'll be able to get everything

Tendo

There are no real tested builds yet but by leveling to 50 you'll be able to get all active skills for at least 2 weapons, so feel free to experiment! Also, there's no cap, so eventually you'll be able to get everything

Cool! Ill just get what sounds neat and go from there. I like the idea of shooting guns and smashing with hammers so it seems like a good fit.

Christ the leveling feels messy now. Having to run back to the sheriff's station every few missions so I can do Moose's next job is annoying. Why did they change it off being able to just knock out all of an NPC's stuff and move on?

Hmm I was thinking of giving this a shot after I exhaust the Stormblood content. But that monetization kinda turns me away. And patron status doesn't sound like it lifts too many of those monetization barriers.

I remember hearing good things about the original TSW. Is this one better/worse?

Altairre

Christ the leveling feels messy now. Having to run back to the sheriff's station every few missions so I can do Moose's next job is annoying. Why did they change it off being able to just knock out all of an NPC's stuff and move on?
I'm not sure what you mean. Questing hasn't really changed.

I'm not sure what you mean. Questing hasn't really changed.

Yes it has. It used to be, as soon as you arrived at the Sheriff's station, you could take Moose's first mission. Or the Deputy's. Then you could do the second one, etc, 'til you cleared all of them.

Now when you arrive, you can't even do Moose's first mission. You have to go way out to Norma, make progress in the main quest, then come back to get his first mission. It adds a bunch of needless back-and-forth that is a huge time waster.

TheYanger

Yes it has. It used to be, as soon as you arrived at the Sheriff's station, you could take Moose's first mission. Or the Deputy's. Then you could do the second one, etc, 'til you cleared all of them.

Now when you arrive, you can't even do Moose's first mission. You have to go way out to Norma, make progress in the main quest, then come back to get his first mission. It adds a bunch of needless back-and-forth that is a huge time waster.
The game was always designed around loops, you could never just grab all the quests and go

The game was always designed around loops, you could never just grab all the quests and go

Yes but it's way, way worse now. You used to be able to talk to Moose, do his mission, come back, do his next mission, come back, until you were done. Then you never had to fucking talk to Moose again. Now I never know when his next one will unlock.

Obviously this doesn't bug you guys as much as it does me, but I am very intent on a methodical process of clearing content and it annoys me.

Top Bottom