• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems like, Nintendo has shady business practices.

Pilgrimm

Hey.

As I posted in the Xenoblades 2 OT I the same here. As I figured this is its own thread.

I am from Switzerland. I just called up the biggest retailer "digitec" here. They didn't get a single copy of the game.

The first said, due to new policy Nintendo is reluctant sending out games early so they'll be here on time Then he the rep followed up with a quote from the Nintendo spokesman.

"Their Source at Nintendo told them, Big N wants to maximise e-shop sales first to have bigger margins and thats why its less common now to have games sell on time in physical form."

Odd too is, Cardridgee is 69,90. Didn't they say, due to cardrige Big N games are more expensive? How come that the game Digital is 10 bucks more (79,90)

If thats true, that they try to pester gamers into going all digital that way here (potent economy) then thats some really shady stuff.

Damn.

Z..

Hey.

As I posted in the Xenoblades 2 OT I the same here. As I figured this is its own thread.

I am from Switzerland. I just called up the biggest retailer "digitec" here. They didn't get a single copy of the game.

The first said, due to new policy Nintendo is reluctant sending out games early so they'll be here on time Then he the rep followed up with a quote from the Nintendo spokesman.

"Their Source at Nintendo told them, Big N wants to maximise e-shop sales first to have bigger margins and thats why its less common now to have games sell on time in physical form."

Odd too is, Cardridgee is 69,90. Didn't they say, due to cardrige Big N games are more expensive? How come that the game Digital is 10 bucks more (79,90)

If thats true, that they try to pester gamers into going all digital that way here (potent economy) then thats some really shady stuff.

Damn.

Being from Switzerland, you should understand better than most how capitalism has shaped us as a species. I'll understand being disappointed, but surely you can't be surprised..

Shifty

Gross. I'd just wait it out since I've been sour on Ninty's digital infrastructure since the Wii, but I don't doubt that this will strongarm some consumers into paying more for less.

Rellik

Old news. Nintendo already said they were trying to stop early sales of their games in Europe, which is hilarious.

Getting the physical version here in Germany on release day, no problems.

Which is like 2-3 days later than you could get physical for like the last decade. Unless you used something shit like Amazon, you could easily get games early.

Pilgrimm

Old news. Nintendo already said they were trying to stop early sales of their games in Europe, which is hilarious.

Which is like 2-3 days later than you could get physical for like the last decade. Unless you used something shit like Amazon, you could easily get games early.

Well I am forced to belive now with that quote it's rather to maximize digital sales - more profit.

AndrewPL

Your source doesn't sound credible, trying to stop stores from breaking release dates has nothing to do with digital margins.

Camaway2

I never had problems ordering physical Nintendo games delivered to me by release day, never heard anybody else having this problem so I would question the statement of the OP.

As for the others I for one welcome the move to cut off shops that don't respect the release date. "Shit" are those shops that try to get an unfair advantage by ignoring previous agreement with the publisher and shipping early to the detriment of the rest.

A date is a date, a rule is a rule and it would be great if people respected that.

Pilgrimm

I never had problems ordering physical Nintendo games delivered to me by release day, never heard anybody else having this problem so I would question the statement of the OP.

As for the others I for one welcome the move to cut off shops that don't respect the release date. "Shit" are those shops that try to get an unfair advantage by ignoring previous agreement with the publisher and shipping early to the detriment of the rest.

A date is a date, a rule is a rule and it would be great if people respected that.

Even at media markt one of the bigger chains and definitely huge in Germany you can pickup a copy in "1-2 days". So you can't even go and pick it up anywhere for real.

Microspot has it listed. I called. They just haven't updated the store yet.

This is for the Swiss market BTW. I never had issues getting a game physical on release either.

Camaway2

Even at media markt one of the bigger chains and definitely huge in Germany you can pickup a copy in "1-2 days". So you can't even go and pick it up anywhere for real.

Microspot has it listed. I called. They just haven't updated the store yet.

This is for the Swiss market BTW. I never had issues getting a game physical on release either.

I am not familiar with the specifics of the Swiss market so can't really comment on it, but it seems an availability issue very specific to Switzerland. Sorry to hear though, it's upsetting.

ckaneo

"source at Nintendo"

Dropping things on the release date isnt shady at all. Now, delaying the physical past release date is but seems to me like that's more area specific than company policy.

Anono

Neo Member
If true, it´s just the way things are going.They obtain more benefit from a digital copy than from a physical one, even at the same price. Companies, specially big ones, want to migrate to 100% digital slowly. It is and it will be the trend in the near future; for my beloved Nintendo too.

Jamix012

I don’t think that’s it necessarily. I heard there was going to be some retribution for leaking Pokémon earlier this year by sending out other game copies to retailers later

m.i.s.

Banned
Nintendo to combat early selling in Europe

Major issue was indies / online retailers not getting the game early; thus disappointing customers when the game arrives late through the postal system.

If what you say about shady practices is true - and it catches the attention of EU Competition authorities! Oops!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, yes, N does have a precedent of "shady" practices.

In the past, colluding to limit supply in the EU market in order to prevent retailers / wholesalers from getting the best price possible. eg French retailers buying from UK wholesalers in order to get a more competitive price for French customers.

Nintendo accused of price-fixing

The fine was later reduced on appeal for N's co-operation in the investigation.

Nintendo's price-fixing fine reduced on appeal because of co-operation

entremet

Not denying your original thesis, read up what Nintendo did in the 8bit days, but the sourcing is suspect.

Fbh

Was at an Interdiscount today and they had it. Its also available on WOG.

So mabye someone at Digitec fucked up when placing the order or they have some other issue with Nintendo

MegaMelon

I don't think so. The whole reason digital is priced higher is to benefit retailers. This seems to be simply Nintendo cracking down on their games getting released early.

Pilgrimm

Was at an Interdiscount today and they had it. Its also available on WOG.

So mabye someone at Digitec fucked up when placing the order or they have some other issue with Nintendo

Can't find it near berne. Tried today

Got a new plant from ikea though.

I bought it digital and started playing right now. The artificial shortness still sticks for me. It's just odd

Nosgotham

This sounds like a " someone told me so it's true" scenario. I dont buy it and I'm not gonna get angry at something someone Somewhere said to you

Even if it's true that Nintendo want to maximize eShop profit. I doubt they would tell that to physical retailers.

That would be a great way to piss of the retailers that sell your physical goods.

LAA

Funny I was thinking that just now I wouldn't be surprised if this was a tactic to push digital more. In doubt I'll get Xenoblade 2 from amazon today, which shouldn't be a doubt really, we'll see though.

So you talked to some clerk at a local retailer and he is the source for this?
Not really buying it, did you ever look through the thread of stupid stuff gamestop employees have told people? Im guessing this is a similar situation, guy working the register probably has zero knowledge about anything deeper than that.

I've noticed that there seems to be a lack of physical copies for Switch games in the UK.

I think with the cost of carts and physical distribution Nintendo is just a little more cautious about having dead stock sitting on shelves. The 3DS was the only modern console I could think of where games were just sold out at some point and never brought back. Seems like maybe something similar here. I don't think it's a tactic to push digital sales.

Bickle2

Nintendo is absolutely trying to prevent cheaper versions from day 1 availability

This is hardly unique to them, but given their idiotic practices this is certainly an issue, especially since they aren’t manufacturing inside the EU the way they should be to avoid many of these problems. They’re having to pay duties and taxes in every country, think abiut. the US with every State. Many of thr codes you find on CD keys and such are pulling a similar scam, buy where prices are low and sell elsewhere. Until recently people were hocking South African Xbox Live codes because prior to the price hike, they were about half price due to exchange rates

The only reason why US televisions do not support 50hz material is precisely this. A firmware update could make them all do it. They don’t want them being shipped to the Europe where even after everything they’d be abiut 20% cheaper. This way Nintendo buys themselves a week or two.

T

My experience has been very different. Xenoblade 2 for example is currently available everywhere in the Netherlands. People who pre-ordered it probably received it yesterday or today. On top of that many stores have it priced at 53 euros, which is a bit cheaper than the digital version.

I haven't had any trouble buying physical games from Nintendo for cheap this year.

SonicSleuth

This is crazy old news, Nintendo has always had incredibly bad business practices.

They'll argue it's protecting their brand and the industry, but it's still crummy to other publishers and devs.

Being from Switzerland, you should understand better than most how capitalism has shaped us as a species. I'll understand being disappointed, but surely you can't be surprised..

Yes he truly witness first hand the horrors of a capitalism regime living in the 3rd best country to live in the fucking world.

Pilgrimm

So you talked to some clerk at a local retailer and he is the source for this?
Not really buying it, did you ever look through the thread of stupid stuff gamestop employees have told people? Im guessing this is a similar situation, guy working the register probably has zero knowledge about anything deeper than that.

No since I used to write for a german gadget online mag I actually talked to the sales manager of digitec. You know business connections since I was shocked it didn't ship yet. So my source isn't a clerk in store but the guy managing all sales.

So my source is kinda credible if you ask me.

Top Bottom