• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

Yeah, I'd definitely buy something like this.

I omitted your second statement, because it's insane.

I want every game Sega released for Dreamcast and Xbox ported in a compilation to the PS Vita, and charge only $30 for it. And then I want permission to get angry at Sega when this fantasy doesn't come to pass.

Luckydog

again, glad you're owning this

you literally just said that in a prior post; forgive me for not keeping up with your personal tastes i guess?

except these games (all but a few) are readily available from the eshop, so we know the level of quality here
if you weren't talking from your ass, you'd also know this

soon as i see another in as dire need of it, i shall!

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Here I will just agree to disagree as it is not productive to argue made up statements.

kagamin

I want every game Sega released for Dreamcast and Xbox ported in a compilation to the PS Vita, and charge only $30 for it. And then I want permission to get angry at Sega when this fantasy doesn't come to pass.

You'll have to settle for PSO2.

In Japanese

Pretty much.

I really want Orta on a modern system though! That'd be awesome.

gelf

Nintendo or Sony...Anyone...Please buy the fuck up Sega and take real advantage of the IPs of them,the ones that were made when they used to be a real top videogaming company...and not the nowadays bullshit!"

They have their own IPs they're happily neglecting so why would they give a shit about Sega's?

Luckydog

The more obscure is what has my interest. If anything, I was a bit disappointed when the Sega 3D Classics line began dipping into Genesis games, because that part of Sega history is already well-preserved. I'd love to see more arcade ports, especially of games like Outrunners that has never had a true port. Or SegaSonic the Hedgehog over yet another Genesis Sonic game. Or Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder. I can keep going on like this, but I'm glad to see they went with something like Power Drift over another Genesis game.

That's cool. I'll admit I way over "dip" when it comes to some Sega classics. I just hate having to dig out an older system, even a PS3 to play some classic games I like, and PC gaming is rarely my thing. I would love to pop on my PS4 or XBone slide over to a classics collection and bang out some Streets of Rage or a little Sonic to kill some time.

VariantX

Someone really said backbone's ports were "perfect ports"

Lmao

Wow. Has it really been that long ago? I recall folks were downright elated that a game that was getting ported to XBLA were done by studios OTHER than Backbone interactive. I know I was extremely happy with the fact that Capcom gave 3rd strike, D&D, and Darkstalkers to Iron Galaxy. And they did a fantastic job that I bought them all without even the slightest hesitation.

DavidDesu

I don't get Sega. I just don't. So many great games (thinking Dreamcast/Saturn era)... so few attempts to bring those games back to us in a good state or even give us further instalments.

Waste of time. To be this bad takes ages..

It blows my mind that there are Sega fans who don't know about the tremendous job that M2 has been doing on these games over the last few years. I'm beyond happy to see Sega giving at least one of the collections a physical release in the west, and it's really sad to see folks actually disappointed over that (beyond already owning most of the games).

I have the JPN version, but I'll be double dipping.

Sagroth

I'm extremely disappointed with this. The Sega Collection had almost quadruple the games for the same price several years ago on 360 and PS3.

Edit: Correction...over quintuple the games.

Should've known it would just be another rehash.

A lot of us wanted this compilation to get localised and the 3D Classics deserve more sales. 3D Classics are the best rehashes out there.

hold me back fellas
d31dbcab84a78cd44f7c7fcdd4132a3e53338418cd1a7b92e220f4c3a6ea1c6d_1.gif

entremet

I don't get Sega. I just don't. So many great games (thinking Dreamcast/Saturn era)... so few attempts to bring those games back to us in a good state or even give us further instalments.

Waste of time. To be this bad takes ages..

They lost a lot of the source code to those games apparently. That makes ports difficult.

Luckydog

What is he wrong about?

Wrong that I have not played these games before and wrong that every classic is ported to every console in existence. If there is an easy way to play them on my PS4 great, please let me know and I can apologize. Saying it is every console in existence and then mentioning the eshop doesn't fly.

If this compilation has been available in Japan for months (not the individual games), then my bad. My understanding was only some of these were available and only individually.

Jumpman23

I wonder if the digital package will be separate game tiles on the 3DS Home Screen or if you boot the game to get to a selection menu within the collection..?

That was a collection of dumped ROMs, this is not and has taken many years to develop.

Exactly. It's disappointing that many don't understand the difference between basically an emulation package and a series of individually remastered ports.

Yeah, the emulation package wins on quantity because it was basically just a pile of ROMs. Nobody working on that took the time to remaster those games like M2 has. Nobody cared about the presentation of each individual game. All it managed was the incredible technical feat of running a Genesis emulator on a PS3/360.

Parham

Banned
Part of the blame can certainly be placed on Sega for announcing an announcement. But, having said that, everyone should really have known better. Shenmue HD Collection, JSRF HD, and PSVR games, really? You guys look at a throwaway Facebook post and come to those conclusions? Especially when the 3D Classics Collection released in Japan just a month ago?

Wrong that I have not played these games before and wrong that every classic is ported to every console in existence. If there is an easy way to play them on my PS4 great, please let me know and I can apologize. Saying it is every console in existence and then mentioning the eshop doesn't fly.

If this compilation has been available in Japan for months (not the individual games), then my bad. My understanding was only some of these were available and only individually.

The 3D Classics series isn't the same as your average Sega compilation like Mega Collection or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. There's far more effort put into them and the developer interviews are truly fascinating. The 3D effect is gorgeous on all of the games and they run tremendously well, far better than any other version. The 3DS versions are about as good as these games get. A big PS4 compilation would not be on the same quality level as this as the development time for each individual title is pretty lengthy. I think your taking his words a bit too literal in regards to not being on "every console".

it just blows my mind that people get all pouty over this Collection, especially since the announcement yesterday gave no clear inclination that this would be something major.

I get that people might own some, if not all, of the previously released 3D classics (I have Sonic 1 and GF2) and feel like the exclusive titles are not worth buying, that's fair to voice. Otherwise, this is a great of M2's porting work, the fact that we're getting Power Drift and UNTOUCHED Puyo Puyo (unlike the recent mobile game) is something I welcome.

Is this port begging?
rwNPdQv.jpg

These are the list of games that M2 has done so far within Sega's games (PS3/360, & 3DS):

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
After Burner
Altered Beast
Ecco the Dolphin
Fantasy Zone I & II
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe 1-3
Maze Walker
Monster World IV
Outrun
Power Drift
Puyo Puyo 2
The Revenge of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2
Space Harrier
Streets of Rage 1-3
Super Hang-On
Thunder Blade
Toejam & Earl
Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Now they need to get to work on other games such as Phantasy Star 1-4, Shining Force 1 & 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, etc. :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think people exaggerate the quality of that compilation, there are some issues here and there but overall it wasn't bad. The only port that was truly unplayable was Space Harrier, I don't know how you get sound that bad.

But considering that free emulators by random dudes on the internet have been more accurate than what Backbone is capable of, why is a subpar effort worth supporting? If you're going to re-release a game and charge money for it, it should be better than what came before it. I don't see much sense in paying money for a retro game compilation just because "it's not that bad."

Wait, people are somehow mad about this? I imported both this and the sequel, they're awesome. How is something like this not celebrated?! Because this is an eShop roll-up? So? Physical media, tons of new stuff, this is great!

Def Jukie

This thread is making me sad. People can have the most ridiculous expectations sometimes. Going by that facebook post it seemed pretty obvious to me that it would be something like this. It specifically mentions Classics. Some people have really wanted the retail releases to be localized and now it's happening. That is a good thing. Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't mean this is a shit announcement. Now if you want to complain that this is actually Volume 2 and we still might not get Volume 1, that's another thing. I'll be pre-ordering this and hope it does well enough for them to release the first, even if it's out of order. Would like to see a third as well before the 3DS dies.

And seriously, if anyone is bringing up any other compilation like Rare Replay or something compared to what M2 does, clearly doesn't know what they are talking about. M2 puts so much care in to their releases. They are the standard everyone else should be thriving for when it comes to repackaging retro games. Less is so much more in this instance when it comes to game count.

These are the list if games that M2 has done so far within Sega:

After Burner
Altered Beast
Ecco the Dolphin
Fantasy Zone 1 & 2
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe 1-3
Monster World IV
Outrun
Power Drift
Puyo Puyo 2
The Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2
Space Harrier
Streets of Rage 1-3
Super Hang-On
Thunder Blade
Toejam & Earl

Now they need to get to work on other games such as Phantasy Star 1-4, Shining Force 1 & 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, etc. :)

Actually, they have already done a Phantasy Star Collection as part of the Japanese SEGA Ages line on PS2, which not only include all of the games (including the GG and adventure novel games) but you can switch from Japanese to English versions (at least the main games). If you have a PS3, you can buy it off Japanese PSN.

eXistor

I'm definitely buying it (hopefully this'll come to Europe as well). There's some real classics on there and I've actually been asking for this for a while now. I hope they don't just release this one but others as well.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

If you mean this 3DS compilation, yes. The collection is called Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 2 in Japan and it's exactly the same as this one, it was released last month on the 23rd. The first compilation (which included the 3D Classics versions of Streets of Rage, Out Run, Ecco the Dolphin, and some other games) was released in Japan back in 2014. Shame we're not getting the first compilation too.

entremet

These are the list of games that M2 has done so far within Sega's games (PS3/360, & 3DS):

After Burner
Altered Beast
Ecco the Dolphin
Fantasy Zone 1 & 2
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Golden Axe 1-3
Monster World IV
Outrun
Power Drift
Puyo Puyo 2
The Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic The Hedgehog 1 & 2
Space Harrier
Streets of Rage 1-3
Super Hang-On
Thunder Blade
Toejam & Earl

They also did the Wii Genesis and SMS VC ports for the record, plus the Game Gear ports for 3DS VC, if we're talking about the SEGA family.

Oersted

Great news. Should come to Europe as well.

Why is everyone disappointed?

Does this include everything or just some of them? I was thinking to buy Archives 1+2 in Japan but this might be easier.

Lots of Gaffers have a noticeable home console, especially Playstation bias. This is sort of the opposite what you would wish for if you are PS4 only. Also doesn't help that Sega barely advertises the Sega Classics, makes it easier for people to miss out on the greatness.

But hey, not all are disappointed. Some know the greatness^^

Luckydog

The 3D Classics series isn't the same as your average Sega compilation like Mega Collection or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. There's far more effort put into them and the developer interviews are truly fascinating. The 3D effect is gorgeous on all of the games and they run tremendously well, far better than any other version. The 3DS versions are about as good as these games get. A big PS4 compilation would not be on the same quality level as this as the development time for each individual title is pretty lengthy. I think your taking his words a bit too literal in regards to not being on "every console".

I 100% agree with the effort and quality put into the work done so far. Far and away better than just a ROM dump and emulator. Is it really impossible to do a quality remaster of Sega games without the 3D effect and put it on a home console? I think it can be done.

As far as "every console", agree this was taken quite literally, but the point holds. I don't want to pull my WiiU or older playstation out of a box to play something. Its a PITA, and since I'm not a huge PC gamer, I generally play games on console (except of Kerbal Space Program, that shit is crack!).

Luckydog

If you mean this 3DS compilation, yes. The collection is called Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 2 in Japan and it's exactly the same as this one, it was released last month on the 23rd. The first compilation (which included the 3D Classics versions of Streets of Rage, Out Run, Ecco the Dolphin, and some other games) was released in Japan back in 2014. Shame we're not getting the first compilation too.

Fair enough, I was wrong. My understanding was only individual games were released. I'll admin my import knowledge has laxed since the Sega Saturn days. My bad.

Top Bottom