• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA acquires Crytek Black Sea, forms Creative Assembly Sofia

Joezie

Searched, didn't find any threads. Courtesy of SegaBits.

RPS also has the story.

creative-assembly-sofia-logo.png

Segabits said:
SEGA Europe and Creative Assembly have finished acquiring Crytek’s former Black Sea studio and have now created a new team known as Creative Assembly Sofia. The studio was best known for the 2004 game Knights of Honor, a historical real-time strategy game. The team was picked up by Crytek in 2008 and renamed Crytek Black Sea. Under the name Crytek Black Sea they finished one game in 2015, a free-to-play MOBA title named Arena of Fate which only made it to close beta before having its plugged pulled.

RPS said:
Sega’s announcement explains that Creative Assembly (they’ve recently dropped the The) are now pretty flipping huge, saying “Over the last year, Creative Assembly’s headcount has risen by 37% and is now over 500-people strong.” They’ve got three studios in the UK alone. And now one in Bulgaria.

"SoE Statement" said:
“The acquisition of Crytek Black Sea further enhances Sega Europe’s development capabilities and strengthens our ability to output diverse and engaging content for our IP. Creative Assembly Sofia will be working exclusively on content for Creative Assembly and will prove an invaluable asset given the multitude of unannounced titles currently in the works. This acquisition represents another step in the right direction for the growth of our global business, underlining our commitment to add value to our existing studios and our continued support for the UK games industry.”

Again, apologies if duplicate but I didn't find anything using the Search function.

dippa

Neo Member
What does SEGA do that isn't strategy games these days? Really doubled down in that space ever since the Relic acquisition.

kuYuri

I presume Sega gave money to Crytek to acquire this studio? Hope they have some money to pay their employees or something...

iavi

Creative assembly is an amazing studio and I'd wish they'd experiment more in the vein of Alien than pumping RTS out as good as they may be

Zukkoyaki

I like this trend of publishers salvaging shuttered studios. First Ubisoft, then Warner and now Sega.

Creative Assembly has quietly become one of the biggest and arguably best studios in the industry.

Is Crytek that team that there was recently a thread about saying they hadnt been paid in a few months? I want to say people who worked on the Time Splitters games are part of that group?

Pachael

Is there some context that makes this even slightly less ridiculous than it initially appears to be?

It'd be less ridiculous if it were a mobile gacha game. This is an AM2 arcade game.

And still no word if AM2 are making VF6.

Granjinha

Sega is turning Creative Assembly into some kind of monster studio. Why?

Wut?

They have been expanding in a careful and smart way. What's wrong with that? CA was developing three projects (historical total war, total warhammer and halo wars 2 and all the DLC for warhammer) so they do need the mancount

TimmiT

What does SEGA do that isn't strategy games these days? Really doubled down in that space ever since the Relic acquisition.
Sega Europe pretty much only does strategy games at this point. Sega Japan and Sega America generally do stuff like Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Hatsune Miku, and Sonic though. Also they own Atlus so stuff like Persona is them as well.

KahooTs

I fear the future quality of TW games suffering from all the peripheral stuff relating to CA. Yeah, yeah, different teams and all that, still.

I'm not familiar with he acquired dev all that much other than their flagship, but between seeing some devs hopefully getting their jobs saved, and one of the lone 'big' strategy games devs that actually still make big strategy and RTS games, good news in more than one way.

Wait, didn't the Crytek Black Sea leads already leave and form Black Sea Games after Crytek announced they were closing the studio down? So is Sega buying the old studio or the new one?

Blam

SEGA's coming quite the powerhouse with all their IP and studios that they now control.

IronRaven

Is there some context that makes this even slightly less ridiculous than it initially appears to be?

Nope. If you play Kantai Collection (browser game) or have watched the anime, it'll make sense. Sega makes the Kantai Collection arcade cabinet. I haven't played it, but I really want to.

Top Bottom