• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA acquires Crytek Black Sea, forms Creative Assembly Sofia

Shadoron

Does this include the IP rights to Knights of Honor? I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd love a sequel. Great game.

Strings

I wonder if Sega would ever use Creative Assembly to make a Valkyria Chronicles game. Wouldn't know how to feel about it, but it would be interesting if they did it without turning it into an RTS.

They need some more hands on deck doing PC ports of things. Lots of untapped potential there. I'm glad that Sega is doing okay though

This is how Crytek will disappear. I expect the rest of their assets to be sold off over the next few months until there's nothing left to go bankrupt.

Nzyme32

More strategy? Yes please! CA have been pretty phenomenal, though I think Halo Wars 2 is probably the least interesting thing they've done, which is down to a combo of the Halo universe and aiming for a much simplified game that doesn't translate as well on PC imo.

I do hope some how that there is a possibility for CA to dig into Alien Isolation again too.

Harlequin

Is Crytek that team that there was recently a thread about saying they hadnt been paid in a few months? I want to say people who worked on the Time Splitters games are part of that group?

They were. Crytek bought Free Radical and renamed it Crytek UK but then shut it down a few years ago during the development of Homefront: Revolution. Deep Silver (the game's publisher) subsequently opened a new studio with most of the same people who worked at Crytek UK to finish work on the game. So now Crytek still has the TimeSplitters IP but none of the people from Free Radical.

This is how Crytek will disappear. I expect the rest of their assets to be sold off over the next few months until there's nothing left to go bankrupt.

Yep.

Does this mean the Crytek Moba thing is dead?

Or was the already moved in house and then silently cancelled, like The Hunt?

Lister

Banned
More strategy? Yes please! CA have been pretty phenomenal, though I think Halo Wars 2 is probably the least interesting thing they've done, which is down to a combo of the Halo universe and aiming for a much simplified game that doesn't translate as well on PC imo.

I do hope some how that there is a possibility for CA to dig into Alien Isolation again too.

Yeah I can see that game attracting the Halo faithful on consoles, but it's a by the numbers, baby's first RTS on PC riding on a franchise with a small footprint on that platform.

Would love to see some sort fo Crytek technology powering the next Total War though ;)

Oh shit, they said next historical game will be new ground! Near future, nanosuit wars!

Yeah I can see that game attracting the Halo faithful on consoles, but it's a by the numbers, baby's first RTS on PC riding on a franchise with a small footprint on that platform.

Would love to see some sort fo Crytek technology powering the next Total War though ;)

Oh shit, they said next historical game will be new ground! Near future, nanosuit wars!

God, finally a modern time Total War ? Could it be ? Please god, make it so.

4Tran

It should be new ground in the sense that it's historical material CA has never tackled before.

God, finally a modern time Total War ? Could it be ? Please god, make it so.
The Total War design conceit is designed for formation-based combat. That hasn't really existed since the Franco-Prussian War, so that's about the most modern conflict it'll be any good for. Look at a game like Wargame - the scale and scope of the battlefield isn't anything like any Total War title.

Is there some context that makes this even slightly less ridiculous than it initially appears to be?

This must be from KanColle Arcade.

KanColle, short for Kantai Collection (kantai is fleet) is a browser collection / strategy game featuring japanese WW2 ships, in girl form... They fight some dark evil aliens on sea. And yes, they wear their torpedo launcher as handbag, their massive turrets in huge rack around their waist... Of course there's an anime but its terrible but you can get the idea.

It's insanely popular over there and the game had multiple seasonal evens featuring german (kriegsmarine) italian, american and even a french ship.

Yes it's a game you collect anthropomorphised nazi and imperial ships... But that's not all. Of course it bend heavily on moe and the entire waifu collection thing has you have to marry (pay for the ring with real money) to further level your ship as she commit to serve you better, you, her commander and now husband (voice line included)

Xiao Hu

Good on SEGA for saving that studio and boosting CA. But it would be nice to see non-strategy game related acquisitions again....

Buy Sumo Digital!!!

Top Bottom