• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega and Ace Team announce fantasy action game SolSeraph for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Mista

Banned

Publisher Sega and developer Ace Team (Rock of Ages, Zeno Clash) have announced SolSeraph, a new fantasy action game coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC on July 10 for $14.99.

Here is an overview of the game, via Sega:
About

SolSeraph puts you in the wing-tipped shoes of an almighty divinity who is tasked with rebuilding civilization while protecting the people from the constant threat of mythical demons and monsters!
In the beginning, there was only chaos… until one day, when Sky Father and Earth Mother drove the Chaos away and made the world. They made the stars and the sun and the waters and the land. And then they made plants and animals, and finally, their favorite creation: humankind. When they were done, Sky Father and Earth Mother left the world, so it could grow freely on its own.
But the Younger Gods were arrogant and cruel, so they tormented humankind with fires, storms, and floods, until all the tribes were scattered across the land, struggling for survival. But Helios, Knight of Dawn, the child of god and man, has come to humanity’s aid.

Key Features
  • Restore Humanity Back to Prosperity – Balancing side-scrolling action and top-down strategy elements, carefully guide each tribe from the clouds above in order to help expand their territory and dispel the dark fog that shrouds their lands. Once each of the creatures’ lairs have been exposed, you must take the role of Helios to fight the monsters head on.
  • Take the Fight to the Enemy – Armed with his sword, shield, and magical archery, Helios will need to confront a range of enemies including goblins, beastmen, bat riders, and more on his way to facing the Younger God that controls them. Defeating these challenging foes will grant Helios new magical powers such as healing herbs and ice shards.
  • Protect the Homeland – Help each tribe determine how to shape their village by utilizing a range of different units, from houses and farms to support the growing population, to building warrior barracks and archer towers to defend themselves against the waves of monster attacks.
  • Help from the Highest Powers – Yuzo Koshiro, the legend behind many classic video game soundtracks, has composed the opening theme to SolSeraph. Additionally, acclaimed writer Jonas Kyrazes (The Talos Principle, The Sea Will Claim Everything) has lent his talents to craft the game’s compelling narrative.

Kazza

Wow, what a nice surprise! I played Act Raiser for the first time last year and loved it. I actually had a dream about Sega making a spiritual sequel, and here it is (although in my dream the combat stages were 3D)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't look as cool and unique as Abyss Odyssey in its time (or the Zeno series obviously) but good to see the Team continue to get work. Hope it's fun and does well.

Last edited:

Pejo

WHAT THE FUCK IT REALLY IS ACTRAISER!?!?

Holy balls I am shocked and ashamed I never heard of this. It's even got the sim elements that were missing from Actraiser 2 (that made it much lesser of a game in my opinion.)

HOLY SHIT. Wishlisted and ready to buy. I hope it's good, I've been asking for this for a long long time.

Kazza

More info on the game's new website:

As he helps expand each population, they'll gain knowledge of new facilities that can be built, which Helios shares between the tribes.

The tribes will ultimately need to expand to the lands shrouded by dark fog, but by building a temple nearby to channel the light of Helios, the fog can be dispersed to reveal the creature lairs that lie within. It will be up to Helios alone to venture into these domains and defeat the creatures at their source, allowing the tribes to carry on life without Helios' divine intervention.

It's such a shameless rip-off of Act Raiser - and I love it!

Kazza

Travel through five different regions where you'll help the local tribe expand their territory while defending against the onslaught of monsters. Clear the dark fogs shrouding the lands and descend into the creature lairs to destroy them from within and strike down the Younger God that torments each region for good!

Plains of Widhu
Help Pria take on the responsibilities of her tribe from her aging grandfather, Manu, expanding the lush forests and plains of Widhu while defending against the threat of goblins and forest hulks. Amber slimes also plague the region, spawned by the King of Trees, Lord of Thorns and Amber.

portraitbackground_widhu.jpg

Sekh Desert
Despite their barren lands terrorized by skeletons and giant scarabs, Arta and the shaman Xian remain optimistic they can return the Sekh desert to prosperity. The two elders are often heard bickering with a friendly rapport, even as the Queen of Bones strikes at their village with her serpent's tail.

portraitbackground_desert.jpg

Mount Agnir
In the valleys of Mount Agnir reside Perkunos and his young daughter, Pleto. Surrounded by a land of pitfalls and grotesque beastmen under reign of the King of Fire, the reluctant leader struggles to do his best to look after her and their tribe. Pleto remains hopeful, having faith in the light of Helios to guide them.

portraitbackground_mountagnir.jpg

Arunan Isles
Their leaders all stricken down in unfortunate accidents, Maldai, Swadesh, and Attartu find themselves leading on their own, despite their youth. With the isolated nature of the Arunan Isles, they'll need to find a way to reconnect their people, even if it means offending the King of Floods and the undersea and jungle-dwelling creatures he commands.

portraitbackground_arunan.jpg

Vale of Yeg
As the tribal elder Yemo lives out his last moments, his grandchildren Dehanu and Welnos must find a way to contend with Guma, who has risen as a leader among some of the tribe. Their lands buried under snow treaded by the cold minions of the Queen of Ice, they'll need to settle their differences for the greater good of the tribe.

portraitbackground_valeofyeg.jpg

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Cool I’ll get it on the Switch. I was just thinking about ActRaiser the other day.

Orta

Banned
Looks so-so. If nothing else I'd love if it reinvigorated interest in the original Actraiser, possibly leading to a port to consoles or a remaster, official or fan made.

zenspider

Oh wow! And out of nowhere! This and Blazing Chrome in the same week!?

I love that I can live in an alternative old-school bubble and be buried in games, popping my head out once in a while to watch the normies fret over where to put points on thier skill trees.

Kazza

This is indeed very very close to Actraiser. A bit too much maybe.

I would normally be a bit harsher on such an obvious copycat, but since it's been so long since the first game, with no sign of a (similar) sequel, I'm ok with this. I can't think of many other games that have combined 2D action with sim-style city building. Hopefully they will add a few of their own mechanics too.

Kazza

Just 6 days to go until release and still no pre-oder available :messenger_persevering:

These are the min specs. Do you think my i3 7th gen HD 620 integrated graphics 8GB laptop will be able to run this?

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD FX-4350 / Intel® Core™ i3-3210
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R7 260X (2GB VRAM) / NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750(2GB VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 5 GB available space

My laptop runs Sonic Mania, Monsterboy etc fine. Being a 2D game (albeit with some 3D elements) I'm hoping it will work fine.

Edit: the developer has already stated on steam that there will be no pre-order

Last edited:
Top Bottom