• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ryu Ga Gotoku for Europe/US

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
it's the Sega magic of old - you can feel it... you can smell it like whiskey on a _proper_ drunk bumbs breath...

Let's hope they use this quote on the back of the box :p

Bebpo said:
No this is a good story that would be nominated in the oscars for screenplay if adapted word for word in a live-action film.
are there any scripts in the whole of gaming that have been better then any of these Oscar nominees?
02m.jpg
32m.jpg
53m.jpg

12m.jpg
21m.jpg
40m.jpg

78m.jpg
21m.jpg
10m.jpg

I'm gonna say yeah.
Does the vast majority of writing in games suck, oh golly yes it does. Has there been vast improvements even over the last few years, you betcha. Does Scent of a Women suck hard, yes, yes it does. Why is that relevant, because I've played games with better realized characters and dialog, and they didn't get the recognition that the very crappy Pacino film (no better instance of "let's give this guy an Oscar for all the times we passed him up") did.

Gaming does have a long, long ways to go, but we shouldn't discount what has already been acomplished only because, "its just a game".

duckroll

HyperZone<3 said:
are there any scripts in the whole of gaming that have been better then any of these Oscar nominees?

I didn't know Red Cross In Box and all its sequels won oscars..... wow! :lol

lachesis

Well, well. Shenmue vs Ryu ga gotoku. Here's my take if anyone cares.

Graphic:
Shenmue > Ryu ga gotoku.
personal preference, but I like more detailed look of Shenmue while Ryu has very good atmospheric graphic which captures the feeling of night-street very well. Also lack of 1st person view ftl for the Ryu.

Music:
Shenmue > Ryu ga gotoku.
No comparison

Story
Shenmue < Ryu ga gotoku.
Let's admit it - Suzuki can't write shit. However, it's not fair to compare "finished storyline" with "unfinished storyline" - but the pace and the way it's told, there's no comparison to Ryu ga gotoku. I'd say anything might be comparable to Ryu's storytelling in videogame might be, well, MGS3?

Battle
Shenmue = Ryu ga gotoku.
I like Shenmue's fighting engine better in basic combo-ing - but it fighting feels fucking good in Ryu ga gotoku - takes long time to get tire of because of "heat" attacks.

Minigames/Collectables
Shenmue <<<<<< Ryu ga gotoku.
Every single minigame is better in Ryu, except Outrun in Shenmue II

Most memorable moments
Shenmue - Shenmue II's entire disc3 and disc4
Ryu ga gotoku - the whole game feels like disc3 of Shenmue II. ;)

My verdic as a better game
Shenmue < Ryu ga gotoku. There, I've said it.

My verdic for my sentimental value and personal attachment
Shenmue >>> Ryu ga gotoku.

However, I don't have much anticipation for Ryu ga gotoku 2 though - as it's a well finished storyline. Shenmue III, however - I would die for it - to the point that if I win that NY lottery (more than 200 million dollars now), I would gladly spend the bulk of the money to finance Shenmue III and IV for PS3/X360/REV. ;)
Waste of money? Probably. But I really do want Shenmue III. There's something very special about the game.

lachesis

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I pretty much agree with everything lachesis said. My thoughts exactly, even the lottery part :p.

DCharlie said:
for me, it's ON right away when you have your first training battle with the old insurance guy and his mob who are holding out on you.

The way the slightly cheesy but instantly SEGA style music kicks in and the VS. screen splashes , then it's just so much fun. Beating old men with golf clubs, smashing thier heads into walls, just being a MEAN f*cker...

it's the Sega magic of old - you can feel it... you can smell it like whiskey on a _proper_ drunk bumbs breath...

Ryo - "i see. I have 500 yen in my pocket, i should feed my cat... after i play Space harrier and get some gatchapon ... and another can of ocha..... .... i wish i were dead. I'm the only gay in the village. "

ROFL

Amir0x

Banned
I might have missed it, but has anyone commented on the loading times for Ryu Ga Gotoku? I was talking to someone who suggested the load times might be really severe, so I was just wondering how it is (without HD Loader or anything).

lachesis

Amir0x said:
I might have missed it, but has anyone commented on the loading times for Ryu Ga Gotoku? I was talking to someone who suggested the load times might be really severe, so I was just wondering how it is (without HD Loader or anything).

loading time is pretty bad. The real loading only happens when you fight. Usually takes a bout 5-10 good seconds, if not more - depending how many guys you are fighting. If you are fighting one guy, then pretty brief (like 5 sec), but if you are fighting a bunch of guys (more than 5 to 10, or so), it's pretty long. (15 sec?) When you walk around on street though, it's a split second streaming loading. Kinda weird, but you'll eventually get used to it.

Since I don't have HD loater, I can't tell whether this game's compatible with it or not. If it does work, I'd suggest using it.

One thing though. The battle is quite good in this game, you get kinda pumped up for the action with that quirky sega electric-guitar rock music. ;) Yes, wait is there, but not unbearable. A lot of smaller fish, you could just avoid fighting all together, or if you equip certain items, those random battles won't appear.

Dsal

It works with HD Loader, and it's worth using if you have it. It does help.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Flynn said:
I saw a WWII flick produced in the UK recently and was appalled that the German characters had British accents when speaking in English. How lame is that? The Nazis and the Allied characters sounded EXACTLY the same!
If they couldn't find the actual German speaking actors, what they did is the way to go (see also what they did with MGS3/Russian language in the game). Having Germans speaking among themselves in english with faux german accent is cheezy and kinda disrespectful. The way they did it, you understand what they are saying, and you know that in reality they would in fact speak in their own language.

Dsal

lachesis said:
How fast the loading is with HD loader? Just wondering...

It's not megafaster; I'd say it cuts loads by about half or maybe a little more depending. The random battles take about 4 or 5 seconds to load if I remember correctly.

ferricide

drohne said:
genji only has a japanese voice track, and it's sony published.
yeah, and SCEA games don't go through third-party approval. third-party approval is canning PS1 to PSP ports, but i seem to remember ape escape being a launch game in the US. =)

there are always exceptions to the rules at sony, but this isn't one that i think is likely to bend.

u_neek

lachesis said:
Most memorable moments
Shenmue - Shenmue II's entire disc3 and disc4
Ryu ga gotoku - the whole game feels like disc3 of Shenmue II. ;)

The end of Shenmue II is my most loved gaming moment ever! Fuck, I almost started crying, that's how good it was! Fuck, I'm even gonna start crying now just thinking of it :(
Ruy is gonna own me!!!

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
Thanks for the answers.

Sounds like it'd be real annoying to me. Think I may do the HDLoader thing definitely.

Nah, I'm really picky about load times but the ones in Ryu don't really bother me much. It's not like a silent "now loading" screen. It's a "YOU VS. THE MAFIA DUN DADA DUN DADA DUN DADA DUN" rocking screen that gets you pumped to smash heads :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hajiki said:
They have had a bunch the Monkeyball games for instance, or the two console ports of VF4 is another example.

Well, AV and AM2 don't seem to be as fucked up as Sonic Team, but what has an internal Sega studio done "recently". (once again, besides this one. And we don't know how Outrun 2006 is yet)

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
ohuu55.jpg

What's happening in this picture? It looks like he's having his nails trimmed or filed down. :lol

Beowvlf

Banned
Amir0x said:
This is either new, or really old. But I can't seem to find any mention of this, so...

this press release says the release is Summer 2006.

But the Yakuza English website put up by SEGA... says Fall 2006

slight delay?
It may not be much, but I also noticed that they seem to be stressing the narrative by Seishu Hase and the authentic reproduction of Tokyo. Hopefully this is an indication that they just might keep the Japanese VA to maintain the authentic feel they're advertising. It doesn't seem like they've drastically or unnecessarily changed any of the names or anything at least.

Of course it's all just a pipe dream, but you never really know... sorta... ;_;

Joeholley

Predictions:

No japanese voices. There will only be english voices, and they will only be average. Considering the amount that this game is expected to sell stateside, they can't afford to spend a bunch on a+ voice talent.

Camera will still suck. Despite having over half a year to fix the borked camera and make it the genre-standard 'right analog stick controls camera', it will remain hopelessly broke, to the frustration of many.

Sega will burn in hell if these two predictions come true.

Top Bottom