• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ryu Ga Gotoku for Europe/US

ghibli99

I don't mind if they put an English dub in there *if and only if* they include the original Japanese language track, too. Given that, I still can't imagine this game spoken in English... games like MGS *work* in English, because the theme/setting is very western (and the dub is done well), but in a game like this, it just doesn't mix.

genjiZERO

OB1 said:
I watch plenty of foreign movies and don't need to understand the languages to tell the difference between good and bad acting.

I think Japanese voice acting is better because it's usually more theatrical. There also seems to be a lot more emotion in it. Japanese VAers aren't afraid to scream at the top of their lungs when something happens, American VAers just go "Ahhhhhhh". There's a big difference.

ivysaur12 said:
Yes.

I love you SEGA. Best decision you've made all generation.

Shout all you want people but Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes are far beter decisions Sega made then Ryu ga Gotoku will ever be.

Cheap and crap million sellers, ROI on em will be far better then what Ryu ga Gotoku can ever achieve.

RGG is the sort of game we love Sega for but lets not kid ourselves, its not the sort of stuff that keeps Sega profiteable.

SnakeXs said:
Too late, already is.

Sega AM2 is probably the only consistently great team they have left. SEGA's golden age is long gone. Get over it. It took me a while, but I did.

And, call me a pecemist, but I don't see this selling at all anyways, and it's not like they're gonna m arekt it a lot to begin with.

Can I use your crystal ball for a second?

Beowvlf

Banned
Hajiki said:
RGG is the sort of game we love Sega for but lets not kid ourselves, its not the sort of stuff that keeps Sega profiteable.
I'm pretty sure I speak for most everyone here in saying that games like Shadow the Hedgehog make me want to see Sega go bankrupt. And quickly.

If they truly cared only of profitability, they could leverage a shitton of their Saturn and DC properties on the PSP, which would provide amazing returns, especially the lesser available classics like Panzer Dragoon Saga and NiGHTS.

Hajiki said:
Shout all you want people but Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes are far beter decisions Sega made then Ryu ga Gotoku will ever be.

Cheap and crap million sellers, ROI on em will be far better then what Ryu ga Gotoku can ever achieve.

Good point, but I think what he meant by 'best decision' is more from a gamer's perspective. A great game from Sega coming to the west? That's great news and a great decision by Sega for us gamers.

I mean not many gamers (if any) want Sega to keep making games like Shadow the Hedgehog just to maintain profitability even though it's good for them.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hajiki said:

That may be true but the bajillion dollar title called RGG was already made. It'd be up there with Sega's dumb moves not to take the extra, comparitively tiny investment to take it across the globe.

Since premium-priced "collector's editions" are all the rage these days, why not release a regular edition of the game that's only dubbed in English, and a more expensive 2-disc or dual layer collector's edition with both language options?

Snaku

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
Since premium-priced "collector's editions" are all the rage these days, why not release a regular edition of the game that's only dubbed in English, and a more expensive 2-disc or dual layer collector's edition with both language options?

The idea alone just made me cream my pants. :eek:

ferricide

Parallax Scroll said:
cos they probably can't get the programming time out of sega japan to make this happen, and they probably don't have the budget or schedule assigned to the localization to accomplish anything elaborate.

seriously, nobody should be expecting japanese voices on this. english voices are a requirement for a PS2 game for it to come out, at the sony level. japanese voices are a bonus. the only way we're going to get both is if there's already room on the disc. someone who has the game already should just investigate how much empty disc space there is on the thing and report back. =P

black_13

Banned
Fan-Gotoku-tastic!!!!

I'm sorta glad for the name change as well, Yakuza. Would have been a bitch trying to tell the employee to see if they have Ryu Ga Gotoku for sale.

And here's hoping for some good English voice acting.

ghibli99 said:
I don't mind if they put an English dub in there *if and only if* they include the original Japanese language track, too. Given that, I still can't imagine this game spoken in English... games like MGS *work* in English, because the theme/setting is very western (and the dub is done well), but in a game like this, it just doesn't mix.

Well the Japanese version of MGS has Japanese voices. I hear no one complaining about that. Then again no one buys the Japanese Metal Gears. I too would like the choice of langauage, but I think alot of people on this forum are being hypocrites. When a Japanese game or anime have Western type characters they always speak Japanese for the general Japanese consumer, but when the game or anime is translated for the English speaking consumer, People: whine ,bitch, and complain. Every country translates stuff, stop being hardcore and elite. Expect Sega to translate this. If they didn't it wouldn't sell to anyone but the elite gamer or Sega fan. Also, thank you Sega for bringing this game out to the states!

sonic4ever said:
Well the Japanese version of MGS has Japanese voices. I hear no one complaining about that. Then again no one buys the Japanese Metal Gears. I too would like the choice of langauage, but I think alot of people on this forum are being hypocrites. When a Japanese game or anime have Western type characters they always speak Japanese for the general Japanese consumer, but when the game or anime is translated for the English speaking consumer, People: whine ,bitch, and complain. Every country translates stuff, stop being hardcore and elite. Expect Sega to translate this. If they didn't it wouldn't sell to anyone but the elite gamer or Sega fan. Also, thank you Sega for bringing this game out to the states!

Metal Gear is about some white dudes in the US military and stuff, who would normally speak English, no? "Yakuza" is about some Japanese dudes in Japan. It's just more natural to have them speak their language.

Of course, I'm still gonna buy this game, but it would be great if we could get the Japanese track.

callous

Now THIS is something to get excited about. PSU and Ryu Ga Gotoku both in 2006. Best year for Sega in a long time!

Warms my heart.

Flynn

I <3 Katamari said:
Why the hell did you sell your PS2 in the first place?

On another note, why the hell are people wanting to keep the Japanese dub? Just import the damn thing. It's an American game, 97% of people want it to be in English.

I mean having both would be nice, but most games don't do that. So just import. :p

How does a guy with the handle I <3 Katamari support dubs?

Not only will the Voices be English, but its a safe bet to assume everything they possibly can will be GTAed. I've already prepared myself for lots of "Yo" and "Bro". *sigh*

To those clamoring for a US dub, would you watch a Japanese made Yakuza film in dub? I CERTAINLY wouldnt. I remember i had such high hopes for this gen when Armored Core launched in Japan with two vocal tracks.

Flynn said:
How does a guy with the handle I <3 Katamari support dubs?
exactly what i was thinking....

Flynn

Seriously, Sega should treat this title as a prestige project and atttempt to offer both language options. I pray they learned a lesson from the God-awful voice acting in Shenmue.

OB1 said:
Metal Gear is about some white dudes in the US military and stuff, who would normally speak English, no? "Yakuza" is about some Japanese dudes in Japan. It's just more natural to have them speak their language.

Of course, I'm still gonna buy this game, but it would be great if we could get the Japanese track.

With that attitude, shouldn't Konami have dubbed the Metal Gear solid 4 demo, and all the previous Metal Gear game all in English for the Japanese release, becuase it about a english speaking white dude. I didn't hear no one complaing about Metal Gear solid Japanese track for the tokyo toy show demo. I for one think the English voice acting in Metal Gear soilid is better then the what i have heard of the Japanese voice acting for Metal Gear. Really Sega just needs to hire a good voice acting agencey like konami did.

Some one mentioned gungrave va, I think it had Japanese voice acting because it was a budget release, I think. I could be wrong on that one.

ghibli99

sonic4ever said:
It all goes back to the issue of whether you want to experience something the way it was originally intended, or to have it dubbed in another language. Most people have a certain tolerance either way, and some are purists who simply can't have it one way or the other.

MGS is a Japanese game with a western theme. It being done originally in Japanese makes sense (I'm sure Japan has just as many people who want to "hear" their games/movies vs. reading them as there are in other parts of the world), and it's not like the Japanese dub track sucked... in fact, it was quite excellent. Playing the MGS and MGS3 demos in Japanese w/ English subtitles really made me wish *we* could have an international version like that.

Additionally, MGS Integral had the English language track for the Japanese market, so there must've been at least some demand for this in Japan to give the game a more western flavor overseas.

I don't think people are being hypocrites in this case. A Japanese language track simply fits the theme/atmosphere of Ryu ga Gotoku better than an English one would.

sonic4ever said:
With that attitude, shouldn't Konami have dubbed the Metal Gear solid 4 demo, and all the previous Metal Gear game all in English for the Japanese release, becuase it about a english speaking white dude. I didn't hear no one complaing about Metal Gear solid Japanese track for the tokyo toy show demo. I for one think the English voice acting in Metal Gear soilid is better then the what i have heard of the Japanese voice acting for Metal Gear. Really Sega just needs to hire a good voice acting agencey like konami did.

Well, you know, I think you're not hearing people complain about that because we are actually getting the English audio track for the US version. Also, who knows if Japanese gamers complain about MGS being in Japanese or not. Frankly I don't care. We're talking about a game that takes place in modern day Japan with relatively realistic Japanese characters sounding more natural in the original audio track. If that sounds elitist to you then oh well. I apologize on behalf of us "hardcore elitist snobs".

Reznor said:
Seriously, for one game? That's kinda crazy.

Well I also want Okami, MGS3:Subsistence, and DMC3:SE. :D

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Then again, what the hell are you selling your PS2 in the first place?!

I wanted Fable really bad back when it first came out. So I sold my PS2 for an Xbox. After about 9 months, I sold the Xbox after playing all the games I wanted for it. Since then, I've been tempted to buy a PS2 again because of Okami.

Duderz

Banned
People, it is coming out in summer. And we're not sure if it they're keeping Japanese voices?

Think about it.

Anyway, very excited to see this coming over.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
OB1 said:
I watch plenty of foreign movies and don't need to understand the languages to tell the difference between good and bad acting.

Unlikely. Without knowledge of the language, you have no clue as to the proper stresses of certain words and syllables, the appropriateness of the intensity of the delivery, or numerous other things that only someone fluent in the language would know. It sounds good in your head because when you read the subtitle, you don't read it as a bad English voice actor would read it. You absorb it as part of the scene and use the inflection of the unintelligible audio as a guide to how the line is intended. However, you have no idea if the acting job is any good or not.

The primary reason subs tend to be superior to dubs in anime and games is that ridiculous situations and shitty writing is easier to accept in that sort of second-hand form rather than listening to an English voice actor struggle with the material. I, too, would prefer to play Yakuza subbed, but it's not a make-or-break issue for me.

NotMSRP

Remember Onimusha and Shenmue? Just because of its Japanese theme and nature doesn't mean companies will keep it that way for the overseas markets.

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
cos they probably can't get the programming time out of sega japan to make this happen, and they probably don't have the budget or schedule assigned to the localization to accomplish anything elaborate.

seriously, nobody should be expecting japanese voices on this. english voices are a requirement for a PS2 game for it to come out, at the sony level. japanese voices are a bonus. the only way we're going to get both is if there's already room on the disc. someone who has the game already should just investigate how much empty disc space there is on the thing and report back. =P

There's no space on the disc. 2 disc or bust :p

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm sure any number of film critics will be distressed by the news that we can't begin to appreciate or judge performances in languages we don't speak.

pj

Banned
MattKeil said:
Unlikely. Without knowledge of the language, you have no clue as to the proper stresses of certain words and syllables, the appropriateness of the intensity of the delivery, or numerous other things that only someone fluent in the language would know. It sounds good in your head because when you read the subtitle, you don't read it as a bad English voice actor would read it. You absorb it as part of the scene and use the inflection of the unintelligible audio as a guide to how the line is intended. However, you have no idea if the acting job is any good or not.

The primary reason subs tend to be superior to dubs in anime and games is that ridiculous situations and shitty writing is easier to accept in that sort of second-hand form rather than listening to an English voice actor struggle with the material. I, too, would prefer to play Yakuza subbed, but it's not a make-or-break issue for me.

I agree. The way I think of it is this:

Let's say there's a line in the game that's a question, like "What are you doing here?"
where the stressed words are you and here.

Now, in Japanese, sentence structure and word stresses are probably completely different, but as long as it sounds like "blah blah BLAH blah blah BLAH?" a non japanese speaker would think it's good, regardless of its adherence to japanese language standards, would they not?

Flynn

OB1 said:
Well, you know, I think you're not hearing people complain about that because we are actually getting the English audio track for the US version. Also, who knows if Japanese gamers complain about MGS being in Japanese or not. Frankly I don't care. We're talking about a game that takes place in modern day Japan with relatively realistic Japanese characters sounding more natural in the original audio track. If that sounds elitist to you then oh well. I apologize on behalf of us "hardcore elitist snobs".

I saw a WWII flick produced in the UK recently and was appalled that the German characters had British accents when speaking in English. How lame is that? The Nazis and the Allied characters sounded EXACTLY the same!

Top Bottom