• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Announces Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network

Rlan

LiK said:
Guardian Heroes

Published by Sega :p

Backbone really hasn't been that involved in Sega stuff for a while. The PSN ports were probably done by Backbone way back when. Sega Studios Shanghai did the ports of Sonic Adventure etc, wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the Sonic CD port now (though it does seem a whole lot more "low tech" than the previous ones.

Would be nice to see Sega try some NEW content instead of just ports, but that kind of blew up in their face before (Happy Tree Friends XBLA) and their Arcade ports seem to do okay (After Burner)

Sega Rally kind of tanked though, I expected more from that. It does seem that, for the majority of things, Sega are making the right moves in terms of developers MAKING this stuff (Actually getting Treasure to do GH, Sumo Digital doing Sega Rally)

matmanx1

Watching that announcement trailer made me all nostalgic for Virtua Fighter. I put hours into that game back on the Saturn and absolutely loved it. I've been way out of the loop on all things VF for years now but this could bring me back in, especially if the price is right.

Thank you, Sega!

LiK

Rlan said:
Published by Sega :p

Backbone really hasn't been that involved in Sega stuff for a while. The PSN ports were probably done by Backbone way back when. Sega Studios Shanghai did the ports of Sonic Adventure etc, wouldn't be surprised if they're doing the Sonic CD port now (though it does seem a whole lot more "low tech" than the previous ones.

Would be nice to see Sega try some NEW content instead of just ports, but that kind of blew up in their face before (Happy Tree Friends XBLA) and their Arcade ports seem to do okay (After Burner)

Sega Rally kind of tanked though, I expected more from that. It does seem that, for the majority of things, Sega are making the right moves in terms of developers MAKING this stuff (Actually getting Treasure to do GH, Sumo Digital doing Sega Rally)
That's what I mean, GH > SCD and VF5, imo

Better late than never. Sega must be prepping us for a stealth VF6 release at the end of 2012...

LiK said:
I wonder how big the file will be...
The 360 version was 3.4 GB in size so I would guess more than 4 but less than 5 GB.

EteRnal_PAL said:
The 360 version was 3.4 GB in size so I would guess more than 4 but less than 5 GB.
Probably not. I think this will be a barebones arcade port with versus mode and online play like Tekken Dark Ressurection for PSN. 2GB max.

I would be shocked if this has Quest mode.

Sai

And I just caved in and bought VF5 on Live's Markteplace because I didn't think this was coming. XD

Well, great news!

mattfabb

Banned
danmaku said:
Obligatory question: what makes VF so different from the other 3D fighting games? (not a troll question)

IMO, its evade system, and stepping in general, its far more rational and precise than any other 3D fighting game system.

In SC and TK, its not always clear what moves can be side-stepped. DOA doesent really allow evades.

Sai said:
And I just caved in and bought VF5 on Live's Markteplace because I didn't think this was coming. XD

Well, great news!
Your purchase pushed Sega over the edge in considering DD a viable distribution model for Final Showdown. THANK YOU!

mattfabb

Banned
_dementia said:
Probably not. I think this will be a barebones arcade port with versus mode and online play like Tekken Dark Ressurection for PSN. 2GB max.

I would be shocked if this has Quest mode.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6330619/virtua-fighter-5-set-for-final-showdown

Finally, we are planning on delivering a large amount of downloadable items that will allow players to fully customize their favorite fighters.

GS: What will be included? Are we looking at standard console-version modes?

Sega: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will introduce a new single player mode. Besides online and single-console multiplayer, there will also be some modes that weren't seen in Virtua Fighter 5. We'll be talking about those in more detail in the future.

Be shocked.

mattfabb

Banned
http://blogs.sega.com/2011/08/23/se...wn-is-coming-to-consoles-and-is-pax-playable/

Virtua Fighter is at PAX!

We are bringing the ARCADE version to play all weekend long at the Seattle Gameworks! In a custom Lindbergh arcade station, straight from the Arcades of Japan (it still smells a bit smokey), we have Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown Ver. A on hand. This is the FIRST time to play the new version outside of Japan!

Starting August 26th at 11am, the Seattle Gameworks will have the stations set up, ready to play, with our own Patrick Riley to explain some of the finer points of the game to the uninitiated. Run, don’t walk, to Gameworks and we’ll see you at the show!

Gameworks Seattle
1511 7th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101

August 26 – 11am – 8pm
August 27 – 11am – 5pm & 6pm – 9pm (during the SEGA PAX Event)*
August 28 – 11am – 8pm
* Gameworks will be closed for one hour while we prepare for the SEGA PAX Event that evening.

Vespa

The Take Out Bandit said:
:O

3rd Strike Online Edition and Final Showdown?!

TODAY IS A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN FIGHTING GAME INFAMY!

Best day eva!

All those rumours over the years...came true!! lmao, better late then never.

CHARACTER SELECT OPTION IN POST MATCH MENU PLEASE!

Sydle

Wow, I wonder why they finally pushed this through. Good stuff.

twinturbo2 said:
So, between this and the XBLA port of Sonic CD, can we crown Sega the new kings of downloadable games?

If they remaster NiGHTS into Dreams, yes.

*Anytime I can dream, you are not far away...*

Would download day one.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Will buy for Goh.

Also in before : No spectator mode no buy!!!11!1!!

ShaneB

I played the heck out of Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 on my Saturn. I still remember how cool it was to have gotten the VF1 Remix disc.

Definitely lost touch with the franchise, but hearing this news is pretty cool. Would be a great step back into Virtua Fighter. Looking forward to this, a shame it's so far away though, seems odd, but as mentioned, at least it's coming!

I wish the game played like the trailer :(

Also:

1143924_o.gif

Bout time.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Paco said:
If they remaster NiGHTS into Dreams, yes.

*Anytime I can dream, you are not far away...*

Would download day one.
If they remaster Daytona USA, I'll forgive them for everything.

StuBurns

Banned
Next summer? Seriously?

It's awesome we're getting it, and it's great they're going DD not full retail, but that release date is a joke.

MetatronM said:
Definitive VF5 downloadable = fuck yeah!

Summer 2012 = the fuck?
StuBurns said:
Next summer? Seriously?

It's awesome we're getting it, and it's great they're going DD not full retail, but that release date is a joke.

I'm guessing one reason for the far-off release date is because of the popularity of the Arcade version. They're trying to make as much money as possible from that market before releasing it in homes.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
_dementia said:
You play Goh Hinogami?

Best friends forever.

I need to repair my VSHG for this occasion.

That says nothing about Quest mode.
I believe in Judo more than the theory of Evolution and Jesus combined.

Rlan

Honestly surprised this is VF5 too. Honestly expected this:

922131_57430_front.jpg

I do still hope for XBLA ports of these one day:

B9526FFBE9BD07CCB5D0B65441DF58.jpg
929101_68664_front.jpg
520408-919296_27415_front_large.jpg
dragonforce-ps2.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
_dementia said:
I'm guessing one reason for the far-off release date is because of the popularity of the Arcade version. They're trying to make as much money as possible from that market before releasing it in homes.
I have no issue with the release date itself, or release window rather, I just wish they didn't tell us a year in advance. If SE pull this shit with Kim Swift's game this weekend GAF are going to witness a melt down from me that will rival foot shooting.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AbsoluteZero said:
Wait, isn't Virtua Fighter 5 a game from like 2007? Why is everyone excited about a 4-year old re-release? Shouldn't they just be working on Virtua Fighter 6 instead?

terrible

I'll definitely be getting this, although I wish it was coming out now in this dead zone for 3D fighters (we haven't gotten one since 09). More than anything, I'm happy for all those tortured hardcore VF fans. virtuafighter.com was the most pathetic place the last couple years, understandably so.

Vespa

Gamespot: Since online is going to be incorporated, is there going to be spectator or tournament functionality?

Sega: Those modes will not be included.

Aww, no tournament function?! I'll live I suppose...T_T

I'd randomly like to mention that the netcode on VF5 is awesome! So hyped!

Tain

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alstein

krumble said:
great news... except for the summer 2012 part... this should be early next year ideally...

Sega probably wants to place this so it has space to breathe, avoiding SC5 and SF vs TK. I understand the reasoning.

Top Bottom