• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA E3 lineup- Mario and Sonic shown

pilonv1

Kuroyume said:
garbage.gif

:lol :lol I remember that week here, it was outstanding.

That freak Andy will like Peach in a leotard.

gimz

Scribble said:
Waluigi in speedos. Cause you know he's well hung.
you mean this?
borat-preview-1.jpg

actually when is this game coming again? i think it will do pretty well, imagine friends/family gather to watch the Olympic games, and play this game while the games start

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to Mario and Sonic crapping on the olympics. Sorry guys, I KNOW this will be a dud.....if not I'll happily eat crow.

underfooter said:
Ugh, I'm not looking forward to Mario and Sonic crapping on the olympics. Sorry guys, I KNOW this will be a dud.....if not I'll happily eat crow.

It's a sports game from Sega, when you break it all down. I don't expect A++ but if it's a dud than somebody seriously ****ed up.

TheKingsCrown said:
To all those who think this will sell a lot...you are absolutely right.

Of course it will, but I wonder whether it would sell even better minus the Sonic/Mario characters, as Wii Sports: Olympics or something along those lines.

TreIII

Hmmm...

Well, I have to say that I'm liking the looks of this. Especially the DS version (which has a better Sonic model than the Wii game).

But in any case, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. I'm just wondering if they're going to try and actually spruce this up in the Mario Sports style, or what not....

jrricky

Banned
TreIII said:
Hmmm...

Well, I have to say that I'm liking the looks of this. Especially the DS version (which has a better Sonic model than the Wii game).

But in any case, I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. I'm just wondering if they're going to try and actually spruce this up in the Mario Sports style, or what not....

I know what you mean, adding items on the track for power ups and such.:D

It looks intriguing, very intriguing.:D

lostzenfound

I don't understand why they're not using the Smash Bros. models for the Mario characters (cough ... and Sonic). They're much cleaner looking and much more detailed. The stuff so far looks pretty much Gamecube quality.

Bo130

gimz said:
actually when is this game coming again? i think it will do pretty well, imagine friends/family gather to watch the Olympic games, and play this game while the games start

End of November in Europe, most likely the same in USA, if not October.

Fatalah

Those first pictures of Mario and Sonic together in one game make me all TINGLY!

I can't wait for Mario vs. Sonic.

I wish it was a platform adventure though :(

TheGreatDave said:
He's basically gone from icon to the guy that can just about manage to outsell a Disney licensed property. And that may be pushing it.
Yet still cooler than Mario on his best day. Amazing that little blue guy. :)

Krowley

Here is what would be cool

At the nintendo conference.. Yuji Naka and Miyamoto come out and race in this game..

Miyamoto plays mario and Naka plays sonic.

That's the kind of theatrics I expect from a good nintendo conference.

Nice jaggiieesss.

But I'm oddly looking forward to this one. It's the closest thing to having Sonic in Brawl. And it should sell great.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you see sonic in a footrace with mario and you realize what a cynical and lazy product this is -- absolutely no respect for the characters or properties involved. even sonic in his current state probably deserves better.

drohne said:
you see sonic in a footrace with mario and you realize what a cynical and lazy product this is -- absolutely no respect for the characters or properties involved. even sonic in his current state probably deserves better.
Hush you

Mario has a Golden Mushroom at his disposal!

Ranger X said:
It tells us more about your fantasies than Peach's...

:p
No kidding! "Oh man she' such a slut!"

and is the garbage day gif supposed to mean that the game is garbage? Because coming from Mr. Xbox I wouldn't be surprised.

seat

drohne said:
Respect for the characters? Are you kidding? One's a cartoon hedgehog and the other a cartoon plumber. Do you really care if this game pits them in a race against each other? Here's a thought: the game may even turn out *GASP* pretty good.

CaVaYeRo

schuelma said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6173877.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6173877

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (DS & Wii)
Ghost Squad (Wii)
NiGHTS (Wii)
Sonic Rush Adventure (DS)
Golden Compass (PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, Wii, DS, PC)
The Club (PC, PS3, X360)
Universe at War: Earth Assault (PC, X360)
Virtua Fighter 5 (X360)
Space Siege (PC)

There are actually many confirmed games missing:

- Creative Assembly title (360, PS3, PC) <<<--- what is this?

- Condemned 2 (360, PS3) <<-- there you have it

- Iron Man (360, Wii) <<<-- estrange combination

- Sega Rally (360, PS3)

- Bleach (Wii) <<<--- US version I guess.

Salazar

Dwayne said:
Where is Golden Axe :(

GS: Another one of your big projects that's also garnering a lot of interest is the forthcoming Golden Axe game. Can you give me any new news on that front?

SJ: Well, we're going to be holding off on showing it at E3 probably. We considered showing it behind closed doors, but we want the big unveil to be a big unveil. So, we're probably going to do a special event around that in a couple of months into the fall. We're still targeting releasing it in the spring next year on PS3 and 360. It's looking absolutely beautiful, and it's got some real good moments from the classic arcade game connect that the gamers will appreciate. But at the same time, it can still really work for gamers who don't know what the heck Golden Axe is.

Gamespot interview with Sega's Simon Jeffrey.

I'm one of those gamers who doesn't know what on earth Golden Axe was, is, or ought to be.

Citizen K

drohne said:

Ahh, so if you were in charge of development, you'd ensure only sonic wins the races, mario wins the hurdles etc etc. I'm sure that would be fun...

Bildi said:
Isn't The Club supposed to be good or something? I take it Sega is the publisher and not the developer.
They way they're developing it sounds very unconventional to me, it's a third person shooter based around blood sport in various arenas. All characters have various strengths and weaknesses. The big hook is the 4 player split screen which is integral to the game.

It sounds a bit lacking in content but the replay value is said to be through the roof because they're making multiplayer number one, and high scores number two. Taking influence from console FPS games and their own style of play with Kudos systems.

If it has limitless depth then fair enough, but it's not something we've seen much of in many third person shooters. It's certainly one to watch.

Krowley

Salazar said:
I'm one of those gamers who doesn't know what on earth Golden Axe was, is, or ought to be.

Old school beatemup inspired by 80's barbarian movies like Conan, Ator and Deathstalker.

Included co-op, multiple playable characters (a dwarf, an amazon and a big barbarian guy) and you could steal beast mounts from enemies and ride them. Each character had different magic spells and played slightly different. The game had tremendous music.

I imagine a modern revival would be along the lines of Ninja gaiden, with multiple playable characters, online co-op, fewer adventure elements and maybe more RPG elements just because of the setting even though the old game didn't have them. It would probably also be a bit easier.

drohne said:

Do continue. Why does it show no respect for Sonic for him to be in a game based on the Olympics with Mario?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Triumph said:
Sigh.

Sega will continue to be dead to me until I get one of the following (in order of preference):

-Phantasy Star V. An actual Phantasy Star. Not some mmorpg crap.
-Skies of Arcadia II
-Shining Force IV
-Panzer Dragoon Saga II

C'mon Sega. You used to develop the most kick ass rpgs. WTF? You gave it up for Shenmue and a thousand crappy Sonic games? I just don't know you guys anymore.

I totally agree with this list, and in that exact order of preference, too. Hell, for now I'd be happy with a DS port of Shining Force III parts 1 - 3 or a 360 PDS remake.

FoneBone

Aegus said:
Footage of the Aliens FPS and RPG please.
Maybe -- just maybe -- a teaser of some sort, but I don't think there's a chance in hell of the games being far enough along for gameplay footage.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
here's an idea for the same gameplay, only not a travesty: a relay race in which the first leg is run by a mario character and the second leg is run by a sonic character. no, a cartoon hedgehog doesn't deserve an immense deal of respect, but the whole point of sonic is that he runs fast -- putting sonic and mario in a footrace is the one thing they ought not to have done, the one thing that's going to automatically grate on anybody with a shred of imagination -- in which category i include children, who are this game's audience. and i don't know whether it's gall or stupidity, but that's their first promotional screenshot!

Stantron

I want a next gen Streets of Rage game.... preferably in 2D.

I also hope they put online co-op in the XBLA version of SoR2.

seat

drohne said:
here's an idea for the same gameplay, only not a travesty: a relay race in which the first leg is run by a mario character and the second leg is run by a sonic character. no, a cartoon hedgehog doesn't deserve an immense deal of respect, but the whole point of sonic is that he runs fast -- putting sonic and mario in a footrace is the one thing they ought not to have done, the one thing that's going to automatically grate on anybody with a shred of imagination -- in which category i include children, who are this game's audience. and i don't know whether it's gall or stupidity, but that's their first promotional screenshot!
Did you have similar thoughts with Sonic Drift when it came out?

"Why is Sonic in a racecar? Why doesn't Sega just have him race on foot? This game shows no respect for Sonic's character! What a travesty of a game."

If there's any character in games right now that has a terrible reputation, it's Sonic. This game can only help.

edit: Admittedly, Sonic Drift was a travesty, but for different reasons.

Don't know if this has been posted before but it sounds rather fun.

http://www.siliconera.com/2007/07/16/a-look-at-mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games/

Sounds like fun
The triple jump is a little more complicated. You start out by shaking the remote and nunchuck like in the 100 meter dash to build up speed. Once Tails if off running, you lift the remote up to make the first jump, the nunchuck for the second and the remote for the third, final jump. After the three jumps the screen shows the angles of each jump and the distance Tails cleared. The hammer throw was also in the demo and you play this by spinning the Wii remote in the air. Once you feel like you have enough momentum you can press the B button to throw the hammer

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is like Wii Sports 2 with mascot characters. I’m sure it will be a hit this holiday season with the casual audience and hardcore gamers finally get to settle the 80s Sega-Nintendo rivalry over the triple jump. The only thing I wanted to see, but wasn't around was the DS version. I have some screenshots of it, but no concrete details about how it plays.

Top Bottom