• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Game Gear Appreciation Thread: Separating The Men From The Boys

Ah, what a battery sucker this was.

I still have mine, I should dig it up and play Sonic 2 on it.

That being said, Sonic 2, on the Game Gear, was a tough game...

Laws00

I always wanted a TV tuner.

I found one one year and was like naw fuck it. We're going digital and that stuff will be outdated.

Still should have gotten it.........

That battery life time of 3 to 5 hours in the op is extremely optimistic. It's what killed the system for me. Always knew I could rely on the Gameboy for long lasting gaming sessions in the go. Game Gear, not so much.

With modern alkaline batters you should get more time out of them. 4-5 would be realistic (while a DMG Gameboy would get you about 30 hours off 4 AA alkalines, lol).

cireza

I love this console, still have mine (works perfectly well, changed the capacitors !).

There are many great games on this console.

Mandatory (both have translation patches for those interested):
20551_front.jpg

sylvantale-box-front.png

This console had a great color palette, so many of the later games are very pretty.

Jme

I loved my GG. With the Master Gear Converter this thing was a beast. The battery consumption rate was unfortunate but back at a time when I didn't have a TV in every room it was still pretty convenient even with the required AC Adapter.

I regret selling mine sometimes. I hope whoever bought it has made good use of it.

Khaz

I was stupid enough to use my Megadrive AC cable on my GG so it propably fried some circuits now it always acts as if the d-pad is pressed on left.

You Megadrive AC is compatible with the Game Gear. Have you tried opening the console and cleaning the contacts?

emb

Loved it back in the day. Was pretty relunctant at first about getting a Gameboy. As a kid I was all, "Why can't I see it in the dark?", "Why isn't it in color?".

Went back to it a while later, and almost everything about it is terrible lol.

Everyone should play GG Shinobi 1 and 2 if they get a chance though. Those games are great. There are several other gems, most of them also mentioned in op.

Ah, what a battery sucker this was.

I still have mine, I should dig it up and play Sonic 2 on it.

That being said, Sonic 2, on the Game Gear, was a tough game...

My GG was always on the mains, the one time I tried batteries I swear it only got 2 hours before it died lol, was really terrible.

Years back we never had a good battery charger so buying batteries for a few hours of wireless use was way too expensive.

My first handheld and my first Japanese imported console. Playing console games on the go was amazing at the time. But that battery life! I found that my master system AC adapter worked so I carried that around with me and I'd often be found near a power outlet in a quiet corridor during lunchtimes at
Collage. I had Psychic World and G-Loc at first and they were fun. However the Master System adapter was released quickly and that was a game changer as I Had a huge collection of games to play on the go,instantly. In fact I think it stopped me buying any dedicated GG games after that as I'd choose the SMS version over the GG every time (Uk gamer here with amazing sms support).

I had the TV tuner, not so great. Hard to get a decent picture and the Arial was so long!

In the end I lent it to a girl I liked as she was going on holiday and she "broke" it and claimed to have already sent it to Sega for repair, but that was bull. Valuable lesson learned there about lending things to girls you like hoping to get some brownie points. I last saw her working on the cigarette counter in the local supermarket a few years ago. I think I had a lucky escape there.

Game Gear great as a first for me but I don't have any nostalgia for it, it did it's job at the time and I was happy. I would not like a handheld as much as that again until the Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Amalthea

Banned
You Megadrive AC is compatible with the Game Gear. Have you tried opening the console and cleaning the contacts?
I assumed the voltage is different. And I tried to clean the contacts multiple times. Maybe I did it wrong. What should I do then?

I wish there was something like the Super Game Boy for Game Gear games...my Game Gear's screen has seen better days.

Anyway, here's my collection:

mywqvtN.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm starting to amass a small CIB Game Gear collection - have Defenders of Oasis, Psychic World, Sonic 2, Sonic Chaos, Phantasy Star Adventure (JP) and Zenki (JP) so far. A few years ago I went through Ax Battler and Sylvan Tale, and they were both pretty fun. Still want to play the Shining Force game though I own SFCD so I don't know how redundant the GG version would be. As well as Crystal Warriors.

Great list of games though I'd add both Sylvan Tale and Zenki on to it, for Japanese releases. Sylvan Tale is probably my favorite game on the system, an action RPG where you change into different animals. There exists a fan translation.

Ax Battler is basically - if Golden Axe Warrior = Zelda 1, this = Zelda 2. It's a little stiff and the overworld random encounter rate is very steep (plus these fights aren't even really worth fighting), but it's worth playing.

Defenders of Oasis is an excellent turn-based RPG with nice music and an Arabian Nights theme. My favorite game on the system when I was a kid.

Psychic World is also a pretty decent game, though short and the fact you always restart a stage with the same life you began at kinda sucks.

Also, how are the Disney games on it? Interested in Lucky Dime Caper and the Castle of Illusion title. I like Sega's Disney games... (except Fantasia, that game was garbo)

RiZ III

I had no idea that there was a Golden Axe and Shining Force game on Game Gear or that they were available on Virtual Console OoO

I wish there was something like the Super Game Boy for Game Gear games...my Game Gear's screen has seen better days.

I just turned it on, and all I get is a bunch of horizontal white lines moving around the screen. Depending on the brightness setting, the pattern changes. It worked fine a few months ago...

NDPsycho

Recently got back into this pretty big. Picked up a couple of the Majesco re-releases and got my original modded with led lights and new caps. Led's help with the battery life a bit.

I used to play the hell out of streets of rage and fatal fury.

That consolized one looks awesome. Never saw it before. Modding a master converter on the retrode is another great way to get around the blurry small screen.

One of my last pick ups was the import for Panzer Dragoon mini. It's a simple game, but it's still pretty cool given the systems limitations.

emb

CIB things
Seeing those boxes takes me back. I didn't keep mine unfortunately, and never want to spend the extra for CIB... but man it's nostalgic just to see those ugly pink cases. So perfectly beautiful. Those boxes make me feel like I'm in a store right now begging my parents to get me a game, ANY game, and I'd be so happy with just that.

Recently got back into this pretty big. Picked up a couple of the Majesco re-releases and got my original modded with led lights and new caps. Led's help with the battery life a bit.

I used to play the hell out of streets of rage and fatal fury.

That consolized one looks awesome. Never saw it before. Modding a master converter on the retrode is another great way to get around the blurry small screen.

One of my last pick ups was the import for Panzer Dragoon mini. It's a simple game, but it's still pretty cool given the systems limitations.

Looking at this really makes me want to have mine modded with that LED screen.

arpxyv7.png

GCXG9Dm.png

It's got 2 exclusive Aleste games so it's alright in my book. Neither look or play half bad and do the Aleste Compile shooter series justice. Such an awesome weapon system. Sadly I never got to own one at it's release because I was so anti-portable growing up.

Power Strike II in Europe :eek:

Power-Strike-2-Game-Gear-_.jpg

Bought one three weeks ago CIB, one of the most expensive games on Game Gear...

I just loved the Game Gear and this handheld was far ahead of time.

Started collecting for it last month (having five titles for now) and having a lot of CIB games towards me in about two weeks.

Anyway, here's my collection:

mywqvtN.jpg

I love how Mid-90s Sega of America had a uniform box layout for all Sega games, with the color denoting the console (Red = Genesis, Purple = GG, Light Blue = Sega CD, Yellow = 32x, White = Saturn)

I wish my Game Gear had more love. Got Sonic, Sonic 2, Colmns, Dragon Crystal, Ecco and Slider. What else should I add? I would rather they not also be on Master System as I prefer playing on a console. I'm looking into more Game Gear Sonic games like Chaos and Triple Trouble :)

Khaz

I assumed the voltage is different. And I tried to clean the contacts multiple times. Maybe I did it wrong. What should I do then?

If the voltage fried your consle, it wouldn't turn on at all, not mess up with your controls.
By cleaning up I meant opening the console and cleaning the tabs on the board, as well as the rubbers, checking for corrosion and continuity testing the whole lot.

I wish my Game Gear had more love. Got Sonic, Sonic 2, Colmns, Dragon Crystal, Ecco and Slider. What else should I add? I would rather they not also be on Master System as I prefer playing on a console. I'm looking into more Game Gear Sonic games like Chaos and Triple Trouble :)

Triple Trouble is the only GG exclusive Sonic platformer, so definitely go for that. (Fun game, too)

The Game Gear version of Ristar is surprisingly legit. Has some exclusive levels, and plays pretty damn faithfully to the Genesis version.

So, I messed around some more, and depending on the brightness setting, I either get this:

Or this:

The only way you can really see anything while playing is viewing it from that around that angle...but it's darker in person. The camera made the screen look brighter than it is.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYbuHG9F9vY

The speakers on mine don't work. I only hear the audio with headphones on, and only through the left side. It's also not very loud. The only way I could tell my Game Gear was working was after I put the headphones in, and then I could hear the audio, so I messed with the brightness and got the picture to show up.

Khaz

So, I messed around some more, and depending on the brightness setting, I either get this:

[...]

The speakers on mine don't work. I only hear the audio with headphones on, and only through the left side. It's also not very loud. The only way I could tell my Game Gear was working was after I put the headphones in, and then I could hear the audio, so I messed with the brightness and got the picture to show up.

Capacitors. It needs to be in the OP. Old, broken caps makes the screen super dim, the sound very soft, and could even prevent the console to be turned on.

The sound only coming out of the headphones is also a common problem. In this case the audio socket itself is broken. It can also be changed, apparently with this one: http://www.daweiele.com/en/product.php?action=item&id=237

Ah, Game Gear. The only Sega system I did not own.

I remember reading in EGM that Sega was working on a color handheld. The working name was 'Micro Drive' and would be based on slight enhancement of the Master System. I don't have those EGM scans right now, however, I found these:

Famitsu, 1989. An artist's drawing based on a few specs:

Q2jYWbD.jpg
This is so cool, I like how it strongly resembles a Mega Drive controller.

The Game Gear was my very first system (got a Genesis shortly after, and a Game Boy Pocket years later). I fondly remember the hours spent playing everything from Sonic 3 to Castle of Illusion. I less fondly remember the insane number of AA batteries I must have gone through to do so.

EDIT: I just remembered I also had that ridiculous screen magnifier you had to screw in to the back of the unit. It was a beast and distorted the screen a little, but back then it was amazing. Here's a video (not mine): https://youtu.be/lBz7Dhot_to

Capacitors. It needs to be in the OP. Old, broken caps makes the screen super dim, the sound very soft, and could even prevent the console to be turned on.

The sound only coming out of the headphones is also a common problem. In this case the audio socket itself is broken. It can also be changed, apparently with this one: http://www.daweiele.com/en/product.php?action=item&id=237

I have a section reserved for it already there. If you have site or video that you recommend, I'll post it in the OP. I didn't want to post anything that wasn't legit.

The TV Tuner was the best thing ever when I was a kid! Felt like the coolest person ever stretched out on the floor of my bedroom watching fuzzy network TV like a futureking.

dubc35

My GG screen cracked when I shipped it to my house from the parents basement. That said, I have not had the motivation to play it anyway, lol. I should check to see if it works.

I have Joe Montana Football (run right up the middle for TD every time), George Foreman boxing (eat hamburgers between rounds? Sure why not!), and Columns (meh).

emptyroom

Neo Member
I just remember being blown away by the color screen. I mean, I had a NES and a genesis but my only handheld was a gameboy, i thought it was magic.

Khaz

About GG Shinobi. I only had the first one when I was a kid, and I just tried Shinobi II the silent fury. I used a couple of continues but I managed to get to the final level. If you haven't played either but are interested in the series, start with the first one. The silent fury is like Mario Bros 2 the lost levels, more of the same but more difficult in bigger levels.

Unlike the first one, you have to play each level twice, once to free the ninja, and a second time when you have all your ninjas to get a crystal hidden somewhere in the level. It makes the levels bigger, more labyrinthine as you never know which way is the correct way and which is a dead-end for the crystal. Also, some of them can be obtained thanks to the powers of a single ninja, others require all four of them, so you never know if you're stuck because you lack a special ability or because you just can't figure it out. In contrast, the first one is more straightforward. You can guess relatively easily which ninja you need to successfully complete a level, and deduce the optimal order of the first four levels. Each level only need to be played once.

The final level in II seems much more straightforward, when the final level of the first game was a difficult labyrinth with several exits for each stages and difficult platforming to get there. I haven't finished this last level in the second game but it felt more action based than puzzle based and maybe easier?

But yeah, start with the first one. If you then liked it and wanted more, with more complex levels and gameplay then get to the second one.

Which is the better game out of all of the Sonic titles? 2 is my least favorite because of the stupid difficulty. The first game seems closer to the console version. I haven't got that far into chaos and I don't own Triple Trouble. Curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I actually have quite a few Game Gear-games, but no working Game Gear at this time to play them on. Need to eventually fix that.

emb

I actually have quite a few Game Gear-games, but no working Game Gear at this time to play them on. Need to eventually fix that.
It's hard to keep a working one around, they aren't really made to last.

I had to Frankenstein one from a unit that kept resetting, and another that had no sound. Another of the ones I have has a Start button that refuses to work. : \

Tails Adventure is the only game that I can think of that was only on the GG that I liked enough to play later in life as well. Never got to play any imports or the Shinobi games that people talk about though. Kinda regret how much I wanted the system as a kid since I had to sell my Gameboy to get one.

IrishNinja

fantastic OP - i remember beating Defender of Oasis in the day, great game. Shinobi 2, Master of Darkness, Dragon Crystal...some real greats, and many not getting SMS releases stateside either.

where the Shining Force games the ones im playing on CD?

Fisty

There is a severe lack of Chicago Syndicate, Haley's Comet, and Surf Ninjas in this thread.

FOR SHAME GAF

Jarrod38

Had one as well and Sonic 2 was my most played game. I could never beat the Scrambled Egg Zone one hell of a zone to master.

Mihos

Gold Member
The Game Gear was my very first system (got a Genesis shortly after, and a Game Boy Pocket years later). I fondly remember the hours spent playing everything from Sonic 3 to Castle of Illusion. I less fondly remember the insane number of AA batteries I must have gone through to do so.

EDIT: I just remembered I also had that ridiculous screen magnifier you had to screw in to the back of the unit. It was a beast and distorted the screen a little, but back then it was amazing. Here's a video (not mine): https://youtu.be/lBz7Dhot_to

I have the magnifier also, it is actually really good

TreIII

Had one of these back in the day. In the end, the AC adaptor and I became best friends, because my parents weren't a fan of me rapidly draining our battery supply to feed this beast.

I remember feeling so accomplished when I beat GG Sonic 2.

Mihos

Gold Member
It's hard to keep a working one around, they aren't really made to last.

I had to Frankenstein one from a unit that kept resetting, and another that had no sound. Another of the ones I have has a Start button that refuses to work. :

Man, try keeping an Atari Lynx working, I don't even know why I bother putting the screws in that thing!

Looking at this really makes me want to have mine modded with that LED screen.

arpxyv7.png

GCXG9Dm.png

I wonder if the battery life inproves at all with a LED screen? I could imagine it does, considering that the Game Gear uses a rather large (large for the system) florescent bulb that drained batteries.

Top Bottom