• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA: No US/EU Release for Valkyria Chronicles 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dark Schala said:
The PSP in NA/EU is slowing down, so I understand why. Doesn't stop me from being a little mad about it, though.

Slowing down? It was slowing down in 2006. It's been dead as a viable platform for retail software for at least a couple of years.

Boney

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
A PSP game not being released in North America? I am shocked and amazed.

Not all that shocked and amazed. The PSP's lack of success in North America is the yin to Japan's yang.
I wonder how you're gonna respond if 3DS doesn't pick up in the west.

SkylineRKR

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, all the hate is mind boggling.

Aside from some flaws, it is still a pretty awesome game.

Its pretty much the scapegoat now.

But it was a good handheld game on its own. Just inferior to the original game and I never really liked the college thing.

daoster

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, all the hate is mind boggling.

Aside from some flaws, it is still a pretty awesome game.
Yes. The funniest is the hate on the story...as if VC1's story was anything but a shonen war story...albeit, an enjoyable one, but hardly omg soooo much better than vc 2, like some are making it out to be.

super disappointing though...it seemed like VC 3 had a darker bent than the first two games.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How did they think it would sell outside of Japan, being on the PSP? This isn't surprising, but it's disappointing none the less. Dammit.

daoster said:
Yes. The funniest is the hate on the story...as if VC1's story was anything but a shonen war story...albeit, an enjoyable one, but hardly omg soooo much better than vc 2, like some are making it out to be.

super disappointing though...it seemed like VC 3 had a darker bent than the first two games.

The third game is what I originally thought the first was going to be... then the pig came in....

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Good move by sega. Why lose money catering to such a miniscule niche. Great strategy saving money there.

...Yakuza?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Takao said:
Hey, where's .hack/LINK YOU PROMISED ME!!!

Being fan translated with the first release coming some time this month? I have put over 100 hours into that game now and can understand why Bamco turned it down. The amount of text, voice acting, and licensed songs is staggering compared to any previous .hack games. They still suck though. -_- But hey at least Funi's licensed Quantum!

RedSwirl said:
Probably waiting to see how God of War Origins (and to an extent Peace Walker HD) does. I really hope that takes off because Square Enix needs to do this to ALL of their PSP games, and that's the only way Type-0 stands a chance over here.
That's not the same thing. Those have trophies. Monster Hunter doesn't.

_dementia said:
That's not the same thing. Those have trophies. Monster Hunter doesn't.

Hahaha I just remembered that a small portion of people that didn't buy the original is because it didn't (and still doesn't) have trophies. Sad, but still...

Takao

Banned
Lindsay said:
Being fan translated with the first release coming some time this month? I have put over 100 hours into that game now and can understand why Bamco turned it down. The amount of text, voice acting, and licensed songs is staggering compared to any previous .hack games. They still suck though. -_- But hey at least Funi's licensed Quantum!

Lying Lindsay
dot hacked

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ushojax said:
Slowing down? It was slowing down in 2006. It's been dead as a viable platform for retail software for at least a couple of years.
I mean in terms of retail software... I bought quite a few PSP games in the past two years alone (niche RPGs, but they were software sold at retail nonetheless).

AFAIK Monster Hunter HD ver is the only thing of it's kind, released or otherwise.

I thought it was going to be a program to get several PSP games to PS3. It seems like publishers want to go a different route though, like PW.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Dear Segac:

I'll gladly trade a localization of "Yakuza: The Shooter" for "Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity" and / or "Valkyria Chronicles III". Please? The correct decision should be clear. Got it? Good. Then get on it.

Yours truly: Internet Hate Machine

Takao said:
Lying Lindsay
dot hacked

No fair I never said it was coming. Only that I was hoping and hoping to the bitter end that it would be. Its over a year and a half since release now so I think that bitter end is here? I still hope for a PSP remaster release or... something. Anything. ;.;

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
If I were better with Japanese I'd start working on a fan translation.

Then again if I were better at Japanese I'd have fan-translated the Sakura Taisens years ago. :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RurouniZel said:
If I were better with Japanese I'd start working on a fan translation.

Then again if I were better at Japanese I'd have fan-translated the Sakura Taisens years ago. :/

Agreed, my Japanese reading helps me a little bit but my translations would be very wordy compared to others.

I am not exactly known for being succinct and to the point.

SkylineRKR

so yeah i'm listening to the Skies of Arcadia OST. Horteka and the battle themes are epic. All because someone mentioned Skies 2.

VC and/or Canvas ported to Vita and Ps3 crossplatform would make too much sense. They'll probably rewrite it for 3DS or something.

Hcoregamer00

SkylineRKR said:
so yeah i'm listening to the Skies of Arcadia OST. Horteka and the battle themes are epic. All because someone mentioned Skies 2.

VC and/or Canvas ported to Vita and Ps3 crossplatform would make too much sense. They'll probably rewrite it for 3DS or something.

You say that as if it was a bad thing, they should have done it with VC3 in the first place.

SkylineRKR

Yep, I agree from a commercial standpoint. But they didn't.

All games are currently Sony bound, much like Yakuza. One is on Ps3 and an engine was being built for it. It would make sense to Vita/Ps3 it from here.

Ziming

Banned
fpdog.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
graywolf323 said:
why would you possibly want that?

Because the game may actually have a chance of selling? A very small one, but better than the certain death that awaits it on the PSP in the West. We all want to play this game.

Takao

Banned
PSP Games SEGA is leaving to Japan that stood a shot:

Shining waytoomanyspinoffswenevergot
7th Dragon 2020
Yakuza: Black Panther
Yakuza: Black Panther 2
Phantasy Star Portable 2i
Valkyria Chronicles III

Miku never stood a chance.

Boney

Banned
wait why are people being negative to (an improbable) 3ds version?

shit just don't make sense

Vita is best choice naturally though, and a probable one.

Hcoregamer00

Takao said:
PSP Games SEGA is leaving to Japan that stood a shot:

Shining waytoomanyspinoffswenevergot
7th Dragon 2020
Yakuza: Black Panther
Yakuza: Black Panther 2
Phantasy Star Portable 2i
Valkyria Chronicles III

Miku never stood a chance.

Miku was big enough to sell out a huge concert in Nokia Theatre, hopefully her Vita version gets a USA release.

Hcoregamer00

Boney said:
wait why are people being negative to (an improbable) 3ds version?

shit just don't make sense

Vita is best choice naturally though, and a probable one.

Vita is a natural choice for Valkyria Chronicles 4, and even if that gets a USA release we will still be missing the 3rd game.

sublimit

Banned
I know the original VC sold terribly in the west but i believe Sega should have taken the risk and continue to develop the series for consoles.After all,the first game received very good reviews and there were lots of positive word of mouth so i think that a PS3 sequel would have sold fairly well (if Sega decided to at least try to market it for a chance.)

Like the OP said, i also believe that the move to PSP and to a school setting was a bad one and had a negative effect on a big part of their western fanbase.I think many people who missed the original VC when it first came out (probably because they didn't even knew about it thanks to zero marketing) but bought it later when its price dropped,would have loved to buy a PS3 sequel and this time they would buy it on day 1.

Unfortunately Sega chickened out and opted for an easy (and cheap) solution for the franchise's future.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hcoregamer00 said:
Miku was big enough to sell out a huge concert in Nokia Theatre, hopefully her Vita version gets a USA release.

Hopefully the 3DS version, since I can't import that one. D:

SkylineRKR

VC1 was a typical game that was too much of a risk for a big lot of the userbase that wasn't hardcore into gaming. But its demand started growing over time and after good reviews. Which means you have something of a foundation to build upon.

It was a completely new IP and not an FPS, what did Sega expect anyway? I thought VC1 sold kind of well in the end. They could Yakuza it and sod the dubs they did in VC1 for sequels. Sega seems happy with the overseas results of Y3 and 4 (versus localization costs and effort) after all... I don't think a next VC on Ps3 would fare worse than those games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Murkas said:
Translation patch I guess.

Except that won't work on the PSP2 unless someone hacks it.

Fans will do what Sega won't, except for one generation.

Sucks, but I haven't gotten around to VC2 yet.

Hcoregamer00

zoner said:
itt: people mad at sega for not wanting to lose a bunch of money

If NISA and Atlus could find a way to be profitable at small print runs, SEGA should be able to do the same.

What I am mad at is that they are discounting a release of VC3, ignoring that the 3DS and PS Vita would both make nice homes for a port.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hcoregamer00 said:
If NISA and Atlus could find a way to be profitable at small print runs, SEGA should be able to do the same.

What I am mad at is that they are discounting a release of VC3, ignoring that the 3DS and PS Vita would both make nice homes for a port.

Hell, they're discounting the PSP2 and PSN.

In any case, Sega should really drop the price for VC2 on PSN. It's still $40 nearly two years later which is insane.

sublimit

Banned
SkylineRKR said:
VC1 was a typical game that was too much of a risk for a big lot of the userbase that wasn't hardcore into gaming. But its demand started growing over time and after good reviews. Which means you have something of a foundation to build upon.

It was a completely new IP and not an FPS, what did Sega expect anyway? I thought VC1 sold kind of well in the end. They could Yakuza it and sod the dubs they did in VC1 for sequels. Sega seems happy with the overseas results of Y3 and 4 (versus localization costs and effort) after all... I don't think a next VC on Ps3 would fare worse than those games.
I think they really need to start give their non-Sonic games some proper marketing in the west especially for new IPs.The Demon's Souls-Dark Souls success case should be a good example for them to look upon.

Durante

The best choice to salvage the Valkyria franchise in the west -- for both gamers and Sega -- would be to create a VC2 & 3 "HD remaster" for PS3. Keep the exact same assets, but invest some programmer time to up-port them to the (existing) canvas engine. That's it. They can also try to sell it again in Japan while they're at it.

Paracelsus

I don't know why people are surprised, it was bound to happen the moment they put VC2 on PSP. They should have tried going the Naruto UNS2 way: HD multiplatform, online vs mode. That and scratching VC2, making VC3 the proper VC2.

neoemonk

This generation has been a little sad on American RPG lovers. No VC3, no Xenoblade Chronicles, no enhanced Tales of Vesperia on PS3. I probably would have bought all three of those games.

Hcoregamer00

Paracelsus said:
I don't know why people are surprised, it was bound to happen the moment they put VC2 on PSP. They should have tried going the Naruto UNS2 way: HD multiplatform, online vs mode. That and scratching VC2, making VC3 the proper VC2.

You can't erase history, VC2 was released and it was pretty good.

Negator

At least they aren't blaming fans for lack of enthusiasm...

If it weren't for Resonance of Fate and Bayonetta I would be riding the Sega hate train.

Maybe I just browse fan enthusiast sites but I thought VC was a popular series here in America, we even got the art books, one doesnt release art books for an unpopular series.

I guess sales and reception for the JRPG genre is just down overall, they need a revival.

Hopefully SEGA in the west does bring out the Tri Ace rpg...Resonance of Fate must have done well afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom