• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega profits down

CowGirl

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6165514.html?sid=6165514&part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6165514

Sega Sammy profits down
Sonic publisher says games have been strong performers--other factors, including a drop in pachinko machine sales, cited for the drop.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Feb 7, 2007 2:28 pm GMT

According to a Sega Sammy financial statement released today, the Tokyo-based publisher's numbers were down across the board for the nine months ending December 31, 2006. Net sales came to 404.3 billion yen (approximately $3.4 billion) compared to 420.8 billion yen ($3.5 billion) the same period the year before, while net income was down to 49.4 billion yen ($411 million) from 63.5 billion yen ($526 million).

The Japanese company blamed a drop in pachinko machine sales, falling sales at its amusement centres, and a downturn in children's card game sales.

Game sales for the Sega Sammy group came to 147 million units, with the majority of sales coming from the US. In Japan, games that performed well included Oshare Majo Love and Berry DS collection, along with Yakuza sequel Ryu Ga Gotoku 2. In overseas markets, Sonic the Hedgehog, along with other Sonic series games, was a strong performer.

Sega Sammy was formed in 2004 by a merger. Sammy Corporation was created in 1975, and its core business was the development and retail of pachinko machines. Sega was founded in 1951 and created games including Frogger, Virtua Fighter, and the Phantasy Star series. The two companies still use their separate brand names on various products.

Dark days for Sega. VF5 and Sonic & his secret ring better sell big.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the bad news ever stop? I mean seriously does everybody have to keep posting every single bit of bad news about Sony and their...

Oh...You said Sega? Oh well then carry on...

Amir0x

Banned
gutter_trash said:
the staff who worked on Sonic 360\Ps3 deserve to get shoved onto Pachinko machines

Or get some bonuses, since apparently Sonic the Hedgehog was a bright spot!

Yay SEGA!

Time to make more Sonic games. What does everyone think of a Sonic set on the moon, but get this: Sonic is out for blood and this time he wields a chainsaw and fights off hordes of evil zombies set to hair metal

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Time to make more Sonic games. What does everyone think of a Sonic set on the moon, but get this: Sonic is out for blood and this time he wields a chainsaw and fights off hordes of evil zombies set to hair metal
BRILLIANT! That'll sell truckloads to the self-loathing obsessive-compuslive Sonic fanboys! I'll get a couple of interns to make it while I treat everybody to a round of beers!

Good for them. Games were bad this year. This may sound harsh but they would have performed alot better with more care in making their games and less Sonic crap.

this is what I want:

I want Sonic 360\PS3 to sell extremely poorly (because it's a bad unfiinished game)

I want Sonic n Secret Rings Wii to sell extremely well, like best selling 3rd party Wii game good sales.

I want Sega to put Sonic Team San Francisco onto Pachinko Machine Phantom Zone

well that sucks.

redeem yourselves Sega, release After Burner Climax on both HD consoles.

do your own high-quality remake of the original Phantasy Star for both HD consoles.

release lots of your old arcade games from the mid 80s forward on XBLA and PSN, and make them available for Wii either on Virtual Console or Disc.

They should have made Sonic into a 3D platformer (Super Mario 64 style). Next gen is still in dire need of a platformer.

Sega's many attempts at making a 3D Sonic-style game have failed. Give it up.

Pachael

They just need to make a Shadow 2. That sold about 1.6 million worldwide - Sonic next-gen doesn't quite have the installed base yet.

Top Bottom