• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega pulls plug on Aliens RPG, but Obsidian is okay

faridmon

lsslave said:
Creativity is in how you see it I suppose, I just see the pure potential that the company has.

KotOR 2 is an interesting one. Apparently modders have found something like half the game unfinished in the code, its amazing to see everything they didn't get to finish because it would have made KotOR 2 so much better than #1 that I would never have been able to touch #1 again.

The things they are trying with Alpha Protocol interest me, starting with the "3 approaches" to situations (and not being alignment choices is bad-ass, their whole "suave / violent / I can't remember the third.." approach. If it doesn't mess with my motion sickness I am making a James Bond Sean Connery spy!) and their design for conversation paths are mindblowing. They have so many ideas that it is amazing to see.

In reality, it is their work on Fallout New Vegas that excites me. Some of the original staff from the Fallout games working on them again I fully expect it to be leagues different than Fallout 3 (New Vegas is the sole reason that I am not buying the GOTY of Fallout 3 when I get my new PS3, waiting for that instead. Fallout 3 didn't bug me too much so New Vegas should be fine)

One thing I've noticed is their writing is amazing. In terms of the 2 big North American RPG companies (Bethesda and BioWare) I have found Obsidian writes circles around them in terms of believable and well delivered dialogue. Alpha Protocol and their other new title will show what they are capable of, and New Vegas will finally show if they can outshine someone else's work (Fallout 3) if given the proper time to do it (NWN 2 was fixed after the fact but same problems)
yeah, i agree, lets hope AP turns out as awesome as i hope.

by the way, suddenly i have the urge to play Obsidian games and then searched for Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold. But is it actually out in EU? tried amazon.co.uk nothing there and the only place is Atari website for 40 quids.

is it available at steam?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
faridmon said:
yeah, i agree, lets hope AP turns out as awesome as i hope.

by the way, suddenly i have the urge to play Obsidian games and then searched for Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold. But is it actually out in EU? tried amazon.co.uk nothing there and the only place is Atari website for 40 quids.

is it available at steam?

Searching for "Neverwinter Nights" on steam only brought up Alpha Protocol on the website so I would say sadly no.

Also searched for "Atari" and still nothing.

I'd say your best bets for Obsidian is KotOR 2, but the mods are in beta that will unlock a lot of the content that has been cut so you'd be best to wait a little bit longer for it (One FATAL flaw with it: Some great content they can't really put back into the game because Obsidian had to basically patch some things together.

It is such a shame, seeing some of the cut content, and especially some of the content they can't put in... Obsidian would have been one of the top tier companies with this game. Some of the cut scenes (in particular endings) are mindblowing!)

Edit: They don't even have KotOR2 on Steam. Steam hates Obsidian? :lol

Edit 2:
cuyahoga said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chwyF59vJ0s

I think I found it; I can easily see why it was canceled.

Right in this thread you can see a quote stating the game was at least 20 months from completion. As in over a year and a half.

Go find some screenshots of Mass Effect / Dragon Age (that AREN'T touched up like leaked footage would be) and tell me that it wasn't as bad pre-completion :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
faridmon said:
cheers mate.

[edit] nope, its not there. the UK version at least don't have the game :(

The product is only available for purchase in the US, Mexico and Canada.

crap :(

Looking into it I don't know if the gold edition was ever "officially" released in the UK. I can't seem to find any reference to it being released in Europe.

That'd suck majorly I'd imagine o_O

Fredescu

lsslave said:
Edit: They don't even have KotOR2 on Steam. Steam hates Obsidian?
I figured NWN etc wasn't on Steam because of Atari, but no idea about kotor2. If LucasArts have the full publishing rights to that, it is a bit suprising that it's not on Steam.

lsslave said:
Looking into it I don't know if the gold edition was ever "officially" released in the UK. I can't seem to find any reference to it being released in Europe.
We got the retail NWN2 Gold in Australia, and we usually get the same shit as the UK at least.

Dynoro

lsslave said:

Ebay is probably your best bet; though I don't think there was an official Gold pack for NWN2 in the UK (like you said)

Are there any footage of the unfinished parts in KOTOR2? If not, what were they?

EDIT-WHOA. I've never seen footage of the Aliens rpg. I'm saddened by this news. :(

kitzkozan

lsslave said:
Creativity is in how you see it I suppose, I just see the pure potential that the company has.

KotOR 2 is an interesting one. Apparently modders have found something like half the game unfinished in the code, its amazing to see everything they didn't get to finish because it would have made KotOR 2 so much better than #1 that I would never have been able to touch #1 again.

The things they are trying with Alpha Protocol interest me, starting with the "3 approaches" to situations (and not being alignment choices is bad-ass, their whole "suave / violent / I can't remember the third.." approach. If it doesn't mess with my motion sickness I am making a James Bond Sean Connery spy!) and their design for conversation paths are mindblowing. They have so many ideas that it is amazing to see.

In reality, it is their work on Fallout New Vegas that excites me. Some of the original staff from the Fallout games working on them again I fully expect it to be leagues different than Fallout 3 (New Vegas is the sole reason that I am not buying the GOTY of Fallout 3 when I get my new PS3, waiting for that instead. Fallout 3 didn't bug me too much so New Vegas should be fine)

One thing I've noticed is their writing is amazing. In terms of the 2 big North American RPG companies (Bethesda and BioWare) I have found Obsidian writes circles around them in terms of believable and well delivered dialogue. Alpha Protocol and their other new title will show what they are capable of, and New Vegas will finally show if they can outshine someone else's work (Fallout 3) if given the proper time to do it (NWN 2 was fixed after the fact but same problems)

Writing is the biggest strength of Obsidian,but they will need more to get over and gain a sizable fanbase.Especially with the console crowd which doesn't seems to care all that much about the quality of the writing/dialogues.

It's on the gameplay side of things that things start to get ugly.Alpha protocol need to be at least decent in terms of gameplay design,otherwise it's going to get hammered by plenty of mainstream "critics".

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kitzkozan said:
Writing is the biggest strength of Obsidian,but they will need more to get over and gain a sizable fanbase.Especially with the console crowd which doesn't seems to care all that much about the quality of the writing/dialogues.

It's on the gameplay side of things that things start to get ugly.Alpha protocol need to be at least decent in terms of gameplay design,otherwise it's going to get hammered by plenty of mainstream "critics".

KotOR, NWN, and ME all had lame gameplay and they got tons of accolades.

I think its just a general lack of polish in their work, the fact that everyone thinks of them as a lesser Bioware, and their stories are less familar and approachable compared to Bioware and Bethesda.

faridmon said:
yeah i agree, they haven't got time from the publishers, but making that stupid claim when they haven't produced a new IP that is available in the market right now is just silly.

There's more to creativity than new IP. Even in the shittacular and literally unfinished state it was released in, KotOR 2 is one of if not the most creative use of the Star Wars IP since the original trilogy, IMO.

HK-47 said:
I think its just a general lack of polish in their work, the fact that everyone thinks of them as a lesser Bioware, and their stories are less familar and approachable compared to Bioware and Bethesda.

I think it's really just that by being a singular entity that carried over from the Interplay days, Bioware was able to get a leg up with KotOR (not a new IP but a new franchise, at least) that turned into a hit for them and greased the wheels for all these other new IP console games. Obsidian never really had that chance.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
kitzkozan said:

Critics can keep on criticizing but I find that Obsidian writes more believable dialogue than BioWare.

It is also true though in the sense that this will be the first Obsidian game that isn't a sequel to another game but a completely new IP for them. There are 2 reasons I hope they don't just clone Mass Effect, #1 because ME really upsets my head and #2 because people will just accuse them of cloning another BioWare game.

HK-47 said:
KotOR, NWN, and ME all had lame gameplay and they got tons of accolades.

Both of their games were being done as a sequel to a BioWare game and I sincerely doubt they were given any realistic time being a new developer.

I even consider it a good thing that Aliens RPG was canceled now because Obsidian is going to finally be able to

Release a unique IP (Alpha Protocol)
Have a proper time duration to release a sequel to anothers game (Fallout New Vegas)

Plus they are working on something new now which could be interesting to see.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Are there any footage of the unfinished parts in KOTOR2? If not, what were they?

EDIT-WHOA. I've never seen footage of the Aliens rpg. I'm saddened by this news. :(

Just do a search in google for "Cut Content From Knights Of The Old Republic 2" (or something along those lines) and look at the mod sites and you can see everything.

When the mod is done KotOR 2 will have no new content just all content that should have been in it and at that point KotOR 1 will be literally unplayable to me.

faridmon

lsslave said:

thanks mate, and it sucks i have also done reaserach but all i got is the Dulxe edition which only have 2 expansion packs, maybe i will get that one, i doubt i will finish all three expansions any time soon anyway.

Fredescu said:
We got the retail NWN2 Gold in Australia, and we usually get the same shit as the UK at least.
well its not on Amazon UK and i also checked several online shops, no luck. maybe it doesn't follow that trend with this game because of stupid Atari distribution *sigh*

kitzkozan said:

yeah and thats what i like about them, thsy tend to have several weaknesses when it comes to making a game but certainly the writing is not one of them.

but with the casual crowd (well i would also classify my self as the casual crowd since i don't play WRPG that much) they need to strengthen their games. Not by the gameplay since I think its good enough but to make their games bug and glitch free. If they can polish Alpha Protocol, they have a great chance to become a sleeper hit among mainstream gamers and the stupid critics alike.

although i would not worry about ''critics'', they are never right anyway.

charlequin said:
There's more to creativity than new IP. Even in the shittacular and literally unfinished state it was released in, KotOR 2 is one of if not the most creative use of the Star Wars IP since the original trilogy, IMO.

But that doesn't say much does it. Starwars universe is one of the biggest ''missed opportunity'' universe to date. Certainly 1 or 2 devs can make a splash in the universe ,can't it?

and don't forget that its a sequel, and generally less creativity is involved when it comes to sequels.

Man talking about Obsidian games makes me want to play Neverwinter Nights 2 so badly.
I'll bloody get the deluxe version.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
faridmon said:
thanks mate, and it sucks i have also done reaserach but all i got is the Dulxe edition which only have 2 expansion packs, maybe i will get that one, i doubt i will finish all three expansions any time soon anyway.

well its not on Amazon UK and i also checked several online shops, no luck. maybe it doesn't follow that trend with this game because of stupid Atari distribution *sigh*

yeah and thats what i like about them, thsy tend to have several weaknesses when it comes to making a game but certainly the writing is not one of them.

but with the casual crowd (well i would also classify my self as the casual crowd since i don't play WRPG that much) they need to strengthen their games. Not by the gameplay since I think its good enough but to make their games bug and glitch free. If they can polish Alpha Protocol, they have a great chance to become a sleeper hit among mainstream gamers and the stupid critics alike. (1)

although i would not worry about ''critics'', they are never right anyway. (2)

But that doesn't say much does it. Starwars universe is one of the biggest ''missed opportunity'' universe to date. Certainly 1 or 2 devs can make a splash in the universe ,can't it? (3)

and don't forget that its a sequel, and generally less creativity is involved when it comes to sequels. (4)

Man talking about Obsidian games makes me want to play Neverwinter Nights 2 so badly.
I'll bloody get the deluxe version.

(1) Alpha Protocol I would imagine is going to be a labour of love for Obsidian. They aren't making someone's sequel now they are making their own game. I expect they will want to truly shine with this one and actually have a time frame that allows them to finish their work

(2) Critics giving criticism is ridiculous half the time, but with games it is even worse. They try to remain objective but just end up embarrassing the industry as a whole by showing how immature it is. I would rather "I Like This" reviews than "OMG GRAPHICS AREN'T AS GOOD AS GAME B". That said they do influence sales of games I am sure.

(3) Star Wars is a clusterfuck because as much as Lucas will deny otherwise he seems to be making it up as he goes and everyone has to keep changing the rules.

(4) Item A comes up with the concept, in the time it takes me to write this I can come up with a concept. The sequel fleshes it out more, and in many ways sequels are a LOT more creative than the originals in every way.

An easy and HUGE example: Lord of the Rings vs. The Hobbit, LotR fleshes out the world and history majorly compared to what it began as.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:

I think it's really just that by being a singular entity that carried over from the Interplay days, Bioware was able to get a leg up with KotOR (not a new IP but a new franchise, at least) that turned into a hit for them and greased the wheels for all these other new IP console games. Obsidian never really had that chance.

Yeah but even before KotOR Bioware was more successful then Obsidian is or BI was. Even crap like NWN and Undertide sold very well and got high marks.

faridmon

lsslave said:
(1) Alpha Protocol I would imagine is going to be a labour of love for Obsidian. They aren't making someone's sequel now they are making their own game. I expect they will want to truly shine with this one and actually have a time frame that allows them to finish their work

(2) Critics giving criticism is ridiculous half the time, but with games it is even worse. They try to remain objective but just end up embarrassing the industry as a whole by showing how immature it is. I would rather "I Like This" reviews than "OMG GRAPHICS AREN'T AS GOOD AS GAME B". That said they do influence sales of games I am sure.

(3) Star Wars is a clusterfuck because as much as Lucas will deny otherwise he seems to be making it up as he goes and everyone has to keep changing the rules.

(4) Item A comes up with the concept, in the time it takes me to write this I can come up with a concept. The sequel fleshes it out more, and in many ways sequels are a LOT more creative than the originals in every way.

An easy and HUGE example: Lord of the Rings vs. The Hobbit, LotR fleshes out the world and history majorly compared to what it began as.
point taken, hopefully AP proves that Obsedian can create a new IP and can also be a powerhouse in WRPG :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
faridmon said:
point taken, hopefully AP proves that Obsedian can create a new IP and can also be a powerhouse in WRPG :)

It would be good for all aspects, I am not a Bethesda fan but for BioWare hopefully they will improve on writing and releasing games in a timely manner.

Competition is a wonderful thing

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Razorskin said:
Well as long as they're still working on Fallout: New Vegas I'm happy.

They are, you can even go see the official New Vegas forums (I was browsing Obsidian's site last night trying to find info on NWN2Gold UK) you can find some updates.

Obsidian staff actually uses their forums which is nice.

It even looks like it'll be out this year.

Alpha Protocol & New Vegas out this year plus they are working on their unknown game.

Two questions. Well, one of them is me ranting, but:

-I don't get the love fest for KOTOR 2's plot. Maybe it's because I don't remember anything about it. I actually remember more about KOTOR than the sequel.

-I love Bioware/Obsidian's games, but looking at Alpha Protocol, will you be able to freeze the game and choose an input, like in KOTOR/KOTOR 2?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Jason's Ultimatum said:

-I don't get the love fest for KOTOR 2's plot. Maybe it's because I don't remember anything about it. I actually remember more about KOTOR than the sequel.

-I love Bioware/Obsidian's games, but looking at Alpha Protocol, will you be able to freeze the game and choose an input, like in KOTOR/KOTOR 2?

KotOR 2 had a GREAT plot that was literally pulled out of the game at the last minute because of time constraints. I haven't played the newest build (waiting for it to be finished) BUT I have played it with a few of them re-added and it takes the game to an entirely new level of amazing.

Its default plot literally makes NO sense whatsoever, it is confusing and references things that were cut.

When you play it with the new content in everything makes sense. You can go to a KotOR wiki site that lists a bunch of the cut content right here.

Take special note of the fact the ending they wanted was going to actually discuss the fate of every single character in tour team (a pretty big deal in my opinion)

As for Alpha Protocol, I'd say think more Mass Effect than KotOR is what you can expect from that title.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lsslave said:
It would be good for all aspects, I am not a Bethesda fan but for BioWare hopefully they will improve on writing and releasing games in a timely manner.

Competition is a wonderful thing

Never gonna happen. Its remained the same since BG1 and I dont see why it would change when most people think their current writing is tops and they make hit after hit.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
HK-47 said:
Never gonna happen. Its remained the same since BG1 and I do see why it would change when most people think their current writing is tops and they make hit after hit.

Most people's arguments are embarrassing. Just look at comments people make about Eastern styled RPGs being stagnant and the second they change (for the worse IMO) people complain even louder.

BioWare is a great company, I think Jade Empire was a highly underrated game that a perfected sequel could have been mindblowing and Dragon Age was awesome. That said, they have their flaws. Great parts of BioWare games are so incredibly rushed while tedious parts drag...on...and...on.

On top of that BioWare's writing comes across well because they actually get talented voice actors. Seth Green being in Mass Effect is just awesome, etc.

That said, they can get the VA to deliver the voices, but the writing itself needs MAJOR work. An extra writer and a really good editor for script as well as someone to really sit there and oversee the development for pacing would make BioWare games absolutely perfect... but a man can dream I suppose.

A major competitor might make this happen though, BioWare doesn't have a real competitor yet (While I dislike Bethesda games anyhow I want to make this a discussion so I will defend this argument by pointing out the games are night and day different)

Bebpo

Banned
Just saw the clip. How is that an rpg? It looks like a TPS.......

When I heard alien rpg by Obsidian I thought it was going to be isometric 3/4th view with point and click movement and turn-based. :\

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bebpo said:
Just saw the clip. How is that an rpg? It looks like a TPS.......

When I heard alien rpg by Obsidian I thought it was going to be isometric 3/4th view with point and click movement and turn-based. :\

It looked like a squad based game. We didnt get to see any RPG parts, probably because it was leaked footage that wasnt meant to be seen and it wasnt created to show off the RPG systems.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jason's Ultimatum said:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/KOTOR%202/

Read and be amazed at what was cut and the full story that was butchered.

Atilac

They fuck over obsidian? But bow down and suck rebellions cock? The same rebellion that made rouge fucking warrior? Staring goddamn demo dick? Jesus tap dancing christ... Nail me to a goddamn mother fucking cross.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Atilac said:
They fuck over obsidian? But bow down and suck rebellions cock? The same rebellion that made rouge fucking warrior? Staring goddamn demo dick? Jesus tap dancing christ... Nail me to a goddamn mother fucking cross.

Realistically we haven't seen Obsidian's true potential yet. NWN 2 was patched after being released and became the amazing game that people love now, at launch it was... terrible to say the least? :lol

Alpha Protocol is going to be the first actual idea of what Obsidian is capable of (Fallout New Vegas my hype drained a bit reading info on it, apparently some things they would like to change can't be changed due to the engine. The game is going to be held back FAR too much from the engine) although they are pure potential.

As for who they used instead well... Sega has done some weird things like publishing Mad World (boring game that is entirely sold on being "OMG ADULT ONLY" entirely black and white and...) well Sega makes some GREAT decisions and terrible ones as a publisher.

Obsidian said the game had 20 more months of dev time at least and they understand Sega wanting to release games made fast for quick money.

Top Bottom