• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn prototype 'Pluto' found, includes built-in NetLink

Seik

Banned
Whoa, this is nice! Pretty unique stuff right there.

Still, the final product looks 10 times better than this, SEGA made the right choice.

Xbudz

Pretty amazing to see.
I still play my Sega Saturn today.

This looks like it would have turned into a final revision of the Saturn.
Having an included modem would have given it something over PlayStation technically- but Saturn was too early and Sega had not enough butter and too much bread.

Kainazzo

Man, I'd love to have my own Neptune. Even better if I could get a custom chassis.

From what I understand, the final molds for the Neptune are still around. One could just copy the mold, mass produce new ones, then fit the homemade Genesis+32x inside.

Heck, I wonder if an electrical engineer could shrink and redesign the Neptune as a SOC, then fit the whole thing inside a CDX for a truly complete package. Could be a fun graduate project, though I imagine the costs would be through the roof.

Shaneus

Man, I'd love to have my own Neptune. Even better if I could get a custom chassis.
I'd love to know exactly how he soldered it directly to the board. I can only assume that it leeches power from the MD power supply rail and he just soldered each of the wires from the 32X slot directly onto the MD one.

A full teardown would be great to see. It's been ages since I've pulled apart my own MD1 (and never did it to my MD2) but unless the 32X circuitry is tiny, I can't see how it could squeeze into the MD2 shell... it just doesn't look like there'd be any spare room for anything at all.

Shaneus

Any chance you could quote that article here? I can't read it :/

When did said reader come out with that news? Was it instigated by the other guy who said he had #2?

Where does he say the flea market was (can't hear in the video)?

How does a prototype (1 of only 2!) end up out of SEGAs hands (however more likely Sega is to make such a mistake) and presumably make it from Japan to a flea market somewhere else.

And by someone who sells it for only a dollar (probably not even from a gaming booth).

What a series of events.
EDIT: Oh well the former unit was an NA console. So I guess they originated in NA?

Any chance you could quote that article here? I can't read it :/

When did said reader come out with that news? Was it instigated by the other guy who said he had #2?

Someone on reddit said their boyfriend owned one, it's linked to the discovery of the 1st Pluto yesterday.

Zophar

Wonder how much of a game-changer it would have been if the stock Saturn shipped with the NetLink from the beginning.

Top Bottom