• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega says Sonic Superstars had a ‘weaker start than anticipated’

Draugoth

Gold Member
sonic-superstars-art-1024x576.jpg

But it’s hopeful it will eventually “sell on the same level as Sonic Frontiers”

Sega has stated that Sonic Superstars didn’t sell as well as it had hoped during its release period.

During a financial results briefing presentation held this month, Sega Sammy Holdings president and group CEO Haruki Satomi said the game had a weaker start than Sega had planned, but hoped that things would eventually pick up.

“Sonic Superstars was released in October, which is a slightly weaker start than we had anticipated,” Satomi said. “But in reality, when Sonic IP sells the most is mainly November to December, and more than 90% of this title’s marketing cost will be spent in the Thanksgiving and holiday season from November onwards.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have very limited interest in 2D Sonic games. 3D Sonic is far, far superior. I just don't enjoy going too fast to see what's directly in front of me. In 3D you can obviously see a lot more, and the gameplay is substantially better.

I'll consider Superstars after it's much cheaper.

Unknown?

I have very limited interest in 2D Sonic games. 3D Sonic is far, far superior. I just don't enjoy going too fast to see what's directly in front of me. In 3D you can obviously see a lot more, and the gameplay is substantially better.

It was $35 on Black Friday. That was when it was cheap enough for me.

Whitecrow

Banned
The problem is not Sonic lmao. Sonic still sells... because fans are hopeful that eventually Sonic Team will make a great game again.

Sonic Superstars is bad. And SEGA is very delusional. Sonic games will sell if there's care put into it. But giving the development to the geniuses of Balan Wonderworld... what the fuck do they expect? They just dont care anymore.

cireza

Stop releasing shit games maybe ? People can't keep up.

Back to spamming games with declining quality, like the good old times. We already know how it will end. 2026 is not that far, we might as well celebrate the 20th anniversary of Sonic 2006 with a game even worse.

Last edited:
I wonder if they do it on purpose at Sega, last year they released Sonic Frontiers a day before GOW Ragnarok, and this Sonic superstars 3 days before Mario wonder and Spiderman 2 (and on top of that with 7X grades...) it was clear that the hell would hit.

Blindy

Should have never been a full priced game IMO for what was offered. At $30 or even $40 this would sell better and I can see people buy in as this game progressively goes or has been on sale.

Saber

Gold Member
No shit.

Theres people there with little brain mass there that thinks Sonic Superstar, a mediocre plataformer, could face Wonder in the same week?
If at least you look at your work and see that this game is not as good as you think, can't face big hits in the same timeframe and should be sold at a lower price(not even people interested want to buy this at full price), perhaps you would do better.

Until then, everything points to Sega/Sonic Team having big envy of Taxman. Reason why this types of projects fails and yet Mania sequels will never be a thing.

Last edited:

Fake

Not shit Sherlock. You create this premisse of ' We just steal Taxman physics simulation and the homework is done', sell a mid game at full price and still get this conclusion?

I still can't believe Sonic Mania 2 die for this.

Last edited:
The Switch version of this game was a top 5 seller in Amazon games during the entire Thanksgiving weekend. Sonic Origins was in the top 20 the whole time too. I am hoping these games sell more so Sega can dedicate more resources(time, money, increased staffing,, playtesters/ quality control etc) to the franchise.

Hudo

Because these retards launched the game in the same week Nintendo launched Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which is by far the better platformer.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

This aint no 2D sanic game

Rayderism

Personally I'm kinda burned out on Sonic. Fond memories, but replaying them is like meh. Especially, once you hit that level you always hated.

SonicJams

This game is just very terrible. I actually feel sorry for Sega when I see them advertise it. The average user isnt going to realise the reasons why it sucks either, as its a culmination of a few big but very subtle things. More likely, just going feel burned out from sonic games.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I didn't even know this game existed. Frontierts at least got some coverage. I loved playing Sonic on the Mega drive and on the Dreamcast. Almost every other game after that except Generations looked like nothing.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

Deserved if they can’t even give you the fucking preorder bonus at any store. Developers seriously need to be sued for such misleading bullshit because it sure wasn’t a case of “while supplies last”.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I didn't even know this game existed. Frontierts at least got some coverage. I loved playing Sonic on the Mega drive and on the Dreamcast. Almost every other game after that except Generations looked like nothing.
Frontiers is pretty good though, up there with Generations.

sn0man

I’ll add my two cents. Was super hyped for the trailer and info of release this summer. I only really play exclusives or local multiplayer and grew up with sonic so I was the target for this.

Reviews dropped and the general input was oh this is another eh meh so so sonic game. The game was reviewed as semi polished or not polished.

The release price of $60 was also hard to swallow.

Also Mario Wonder reviewed at or above expectations.

I saw the $35 Black Friday sale… I almost picked up a copy. Went in store and there was no copy. I hovered over the buy button but told myself it’ll drop lower in price at some point.

I do also feel bad for SEGA but they should work with the community more than they do. I think if they worked with TAXMAN, dodged Nintendo, started with a $40 full price, or honestly delayed a year to polish and take input instead of chase holiday sales I think they would call this a success.

tkscz

I mean

1x1-supermariobroswonder-1687454112497.jpg

It's not the 90s anymore, releasing a 2D sonic game in the same week as a 2D Mario game at $60 was just not a good idea.

Top Bottom